Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

AMEX question. I stupidly forgot to cancel my Bonvoy Brilliant $450 card and it's been more than 30 days since the AF posted. Amex doesn't seem to be willing to cancel and refund the fee (even though there have been zero transactions), best offer I've gotten is to product change to a lower AF card and they will pro rate the difference.

Any suggestions on better ways to get this done or effective ways to escalate? I have an Amex plat as well that gets about $50k/yr but I don't feel like that's enough to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You could try escalating to a manager, but I doubt they'll do anything. The rules are clear with a 30 day grace period and you missed it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For the CSR, is the travel credit year not aligned with the membership fee year? I was surprised to start getting travel credits in mid December but the annual fee was charged in January 1. What if you cancel in between?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

smackfu posted:

For the CSR, is the travel credit year not aligned with the membership fee year? I was surprised to start getting travel credits in mid December but the annual fee was charged in January 1. What if you cancel in between?

Depends on when you got the card. Originally they issued it based on calendar year, but changed it later to cardmember year for newer customers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Capital One Savor which is up for the $95 AF renewal. Obviously with coronavirus, I'm not taking advantage of the 4% cash back on restaurants and bars so I called to PC to a no fee card since it has a $17,500 credit limit and canceling the card would probably impact my utilization. Capital One said my options were the Quicksilver and VentureOne. Quicksilver appears to be like the Chase Freedom Unlimited with 1.5% flat cash back, though I already have a Citi Double Cash. I don't travel much so the VentureOne doesn't seem appealing, especially when something like the CSR or CSP is better if I did travel a lot.

Seems like I should just PC to the Quicksilver and stick it in a drawer. Am I missing anything?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Capital One Savor which is up for the $95 AF renewal. Obviously with coronavirus, I'm not taking advantage of the 4% cash back on restaurants and bars so I called to PC to a no fee card since it has a $17,500 credit limit and canceling the card would probably impact my utilization. Capital One said my options were the Quicksilver and VentureOne. Quicksilver appears to be like the Chase Freedom Unlimited with 1.5% flat cash back, though I already have a Citi Double Cash. I don't travel much so the VentureOne doesn't seem appealing, especially when something like the CSR or CSP is better if I did travel a lot.

Seems like I should just PC to the Quicksilver and stick it in a drawer. Am I missing anything?

Not to be overly optimistic, but you do think you might make up that fee later on this year as vaccines roll out?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

im on the net me boys posted:

Not to be overly optimistic, but you do think you might make up that fee later on this year as vaccines roll out?
I can get 3% on restaurants and bars with my BoA Cash Rewards so to make up the 1% difference, I'd have to spend $9,500. That's a lofty target in a normal year and definitely out of the question this year.

I did ask about switching back to a Savor once things get normal and the CSR basically said I'm at the mercy of whatever offers are available at any given time.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Quick anecdote, called to ask for any retention offers on my CSR, the answer was there are none. Still keeping it around though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They did end up delaying the annual fee increase (to $550) so there’s kind of $100 of retention there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

My wife has an Amex Platinum from before we were married, and I figure it's time to figure out if it makes sense for me to pay for a CSR and her to pay for an Amex Plat. She buys most of our groceries and ends up driving a lot, so buys most of the gas. Is there an "easy" way to maximize her credit card use/points? I don't think she'd remember to care about rotating reward categories/etc, but is there a relatively painless system for her? Maybe change the Amex to a Schwab Platinum for the extra redemption to a brokerage account, get an Amex Gold, and tell her to use that for groceries?

Bumping this.

Also, is the Hyatt card worth getting/the trouble? I tend to stay at Hyatts on business/on vacation when available.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Bumping this.

Also, is the Hyatt card worth getting/the trouble? I tend to stay at Hyatts on business/on vacation when available.

Also curious about this. The closest hotel to our house by a wide margin is a Hyatt but plat doesn't do poo poo with Hyatt and post covid going to be buying my mom a lot of nights at that hotel with the new kiddos

asur
Dec 28, 2012

smackfu posted:

I don't believe the fee is exactly aligned on the card member year. You can also spend the credit in the 30 or so days you have to cancel and get the fee refunded and Chase doesn't claw it back.

The Hyatt card is ok. The points are worth a decent amount, but everything else is negligible. There was a decent combo to get status, but I believe the credit card part of it expired at the end of the year. Hyatt points are worth quite a bit, assuming you can use them, so I assume if you spend at Hyatt it's pretty good though I haven't actually checked.

asur fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 3, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I transferred 100,000 points into my Hyatt account in advance of my trip to Spain April 2020.

:suicide:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Residency Evil posted:

Bumping this.

If you actually stay at Hyatts (I do), it's definitely worthwhile. The benefits include:
- Discoverist Status (the intro status, which isn't much, but can make stays a little nicer; benefits include free bottled water, premium internet, late checkout, and bonus Hyatt points if you fly AA)
- A free night certificate (good for category 1-4 hotels)
- A second free night at $15k yearly spend
- 4x points on Hyatt stays charged to the card

Chase cards have pretty good built-in insurance etc and sometimes Hyatt's promos are better if you hold the card.

(If you're interested in going for higher level status, you'll get 5 elite night credits and another 2 for every $5k spent on the card.)

If you want to apply, please do use an SA referral https://goo.gl/aA5mzH

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Small White Dragon posted:

If you want to apply, please do use an SA referral https://goo.gl/aA5mzH

Heyo, it's good to see the sheet get some love. I got a Discover referral from it the other day, thanks random goon!

Also, does any one know of a way to buy Amazon giftcards from a a website that codes like a grocery store? I have Discover IT, and it's 5% for Q1. I have double cashback for my intro-year but it is only until Jan 15, so basically I need to spend $1500 at a grocery store before then. I figure I can go to my typical store (Aldi's) and spend $1500 on GCs there, but I'm wondering if there's way to do it online and get Amazon Bucks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also, does any one know of a way to buy Amazon giftcards from a a website that codes like a grocery store? I have Discover IT, and it's 5% for Q1. I have double cashback for my intro-year but it is only until Jan 15, so basically I need to spend $1500 at a grocery store before then. I figure I can go to my typical store (Aldi's) and spend $1500 on GCs there, but I'm wondering if there's way to do it online and get Amazon Bucks.

I was trying to figure this out myself on New Year's Eve. I tried to buy gift cards through my Ralphs app, and just before checkout it warned me that it would code as giftcards, as it was being routed through a 3rd party. It sucks I couldn't min/max my categories and cards efficiently, but 2020 was a weird year.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

VorpalBunny posted:

I was trying to figure this out myself on New Year's Eve. I tried to buy gift cards through my Ralphs app, and just before checkout it warned me that it would code as giftcards, as it was being routed through a 3rd party. It sucks I couldn't min/max my categories and cards efficiently, but 2020 was a weird year.

I'm pretty happy with my 2020 reward haul. I was able to max out all four categories each quarter for Discover IT (so 10% since it was a new card) and Chase Freedom (and Q4 of Freedom Flex). I typically don't get the Gas $1500, but I was living for the summer near a Sheetz/Wawa so I was able to buy tons of GC to max out the spend for other necessary stores through out the year.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is there a better card than the Amex for groceries? I spend the most money on groceries and I know it gets 6% back. The Cash App debit card has a 10% on groceries sometimes so I’ll use that often but it’s a limit of up to $7.50 back.
Also my Fico is usually around 721 or so, is this good enough for the Amex or should I go for like a Discover instead?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Is there a better card than the Amex for groceries? I spend the most money on groceries and I know it gets 6% back. The Cash App debit card has a 10% on groceries sometimes so I’ll use that often but it’s a limit of up to $7.50 back.
Also my Fico is usually around 721 or so, is this good enough for the Amex or should I go for like a Discover instead?

Its the best I've seen and FYI on the type, the breakeven for getting the Amex preferred for $75 to get 6% cashback or regular for free and 3% cash back is $2,500 spent. $75/(6%-3%).

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Xenoborg posted:

Its the best I've seen and FYI on the type, the breakeven for getting the Amex preferred for $75 to get 6% cashback or regular for free and 3% cash back is $2,500 spent. $75/(6%-3%).

I spend around ~400-500 bucks every month on groceries so I’d totally break even on the fee. The 3% isn’t super worthwhile because I already have the Venmo card that does 3% on my top category.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Chase Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex have 5% back on groceries for the first year (on up to $12,000 spent), no AF. The UR points can be worth more than a penny a piece (though that basically requires one of their AF-having cards).

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

astral posted:

The Chase Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex have 5% back on groceries for the first year (on up to $12,000 spent), no AF. The UR points can be worth more than a penny a piece (though that basically requires one of their AF-having cards).

Thanks! That’s pretty good, even if it is just for the first year.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My CC one morning doubled its credit limit on its own when I woke up, that was nice. Now to pay it off so my credit score looks better :ssj:

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Residency Evil posted:

Bumping this.

It's easily the best co-branded hotel card across all carriers at its fee level.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you were going to put $20k onto a credit card in the next couple of months, what is the best possible return you can get on rewards? Non-eligible for any grocery/etc special categories. Seems like Discover It's first year cash back match (no annual), Chase Ink Business Preferred (100k points sign up bonus $95/annual), and Chase Ink Cash ($750 cash back, no annual) are the three best options I can find? Not sure if there is some combination of smaller cards I could break up the amount between to hit, I haven't opened up any cards in years so the 5/24 rule isn't an issue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I have a capital one secured card, secured with ~$1100 on it from 5 years ago (6? maybe?) now, since then I have bought a house, boat, maintain a ~775 credit score etc etc, two other credit cards with substantial limits, they will not upgrade me to a regular unsecured card

I think we have two more major purchases to do this year and then I'm going to get a new card from somebody else and retire that old secured card, gently caress those guys. Supposedly you can graduate from secured but AFAIK I have the perfect graduation story and it's not happening. Maybe they will offer to graduate me when I cancel it this fall.

Well after 7 years they sent me a letter saying I had auto-graduated, despite calling or requesting via their website for six of those years to switch me to a regular plan

After 7 years it's still stuck at $1100 credit limit, which is basically useless unless you want to buy a one way ticket inside the same time zone, an xbox or a 32" tv these days :argh:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It goes against the common advice but I'd just close those cards if you have a decent credit history now. I don't think it'll ding you that much for that long. And if you're not buying a house or car in the next 3 months who cares?

And any mistake or missed thing on that card will do far more damage than that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it worth it to ask my other CC for a raised credit limit because the other CC did, or is it not worth asking and will somehow hurt me?

gregday
May 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it worth it to ask my other CC for a raised credit limit because the other CC did, or is it not worth asking and will somehow hurt me?

It depends. If they do a hard inquiry, it could temporarily drop your score a little bit. But many banks are doing limit increases without credit pulls. If they don’t pull, then it won’t hurt your credit at all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I plan on closing the card after covid19 ends, I already paid the $29 annual fee or whatever. Will probably open an Amex Blue or something to replace it that has great grocery benefits. I don't completely hate capital one but they are user chaotic neutral at best and their benefits suck compared to anything else in this thread

Hauki
May 11, 2010

FunOne posted:

It goes against the common advice but I'd just close those cards if you have a decent credit history now. I don't think it'll ding you that much for that long. And if you're not buying a house or car in the next 3 months who cares?

And any mistake or missed thing on that card will do far more damage than that.

Yeah, I also had a capital one secured card initially, and they also refused any kind of upgrade/product transfer/limit increase so finally I just cancelled this past fall & got my deposit back. Cancelling that card didn't seem to noticeably affect my score/history or anything else.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hoping this thread is more or less the best place - I can get my credit score updates they Wells Fargo and for some reason last month my credit score dropped like 50 points. The only change was we paid off one of our car loans, but the reasoning to that effect wasn’t include in WFs reasons why my score went down. Is that really all it is? Get rid of a loan and score goes down???

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yes. Technically it means your available balances have gone down I believe. Like they treat loans as if you're going back to the well for more money at some point.

Or something like that, it may also be that the balance outstanding of your debts is recalculated on any other loans and looks worse.

Either way yes, paying off and closing loans drops your score. It doesn't really matter, you're better off now and if you're going for a mortgage they look at more than the number.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oof, did a big haul at BJs yesterday and used my default credit card, completely forgetting that the Chase card did 5% cashback there for these few months. The kicker is I'll be letting my membership expire for a bit at the end of the month, what a way to start the year!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oof, did a big haul at BJs yesterday and used my default credit card, completely forgetting that the Chase card did 5% cashback there for these few months. The kicker is I'll be letting my membership expire for a bit at the end of the month, what a way to start the year!

Mrs jerkface did a huge haul at a grocery store and used the wrong card and she just went back with the receipt and they happily just scanned it, refunded it, and recharged the right one later that day.

Maybe BJs will do that at the CS desk?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

According to DoC, Alliant devalued their 2% back (as rewards) no-AF cash back card by reducing the value of the rewards points so it's only 1.33% cash back. Their 2.5% cash back card with an AF seems to be unchanged.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i got my first, and so far only, credit card roughly six years ago. at the time my sister was going to school on the opposite coast, so i decided on an airline miles reward card so i could make more frequent visits. since my parents flew american and banked with citi, and i was planning on making a major purchase at the time, i ended up going with the citi aadvantage platinum select card for the sign-up bonus

within the last year my sister moved closer to home. she's now in a small, remote city which has no american routes within a two hour drive, so going forward i'm probably going to take long haul car trips to visit her instead of flying. with that use for miles gone, i really don't have a need for a miles card. i'm trying to live as frugally as possible, so trips to big ticket international destinations are out for the foreseeable future, and most of my non-immediate family domestic travel are camping trips, during which i prefer to drive. plus, last year citi stripped out a lot of the useful secondary perks like travel insurance (the no cost insurance on a rental car fender scratch paid for four years worth of card fees)

my frugal lifestyle also means the card's annual fee takes a pretty significant chunk out of the value of my rewards. based on some back of the envelope math, my rewards are still in the net positive, but only in the realm of $50 a year

i'm looking at citi's double cash reward card (i'm sure i can get a better card outside of citi, but i do all of my banking with citi and i don't think i have the energy or motivation to start unwinding all of that), but i have a couple of concerns about making the switch. first off, it's my understanding that i should keep my first credit account open or my credit history could take a hit. is this correct, and if so how long do i need to keep it open before the second card has enough history that i won't take a big hit from closing it? second, if i do close the original credit account, what are the implications for the miles i've already earned? i have about 80,000 miles right now, and i'm not in a great position in terms of budget or pto to take advantage of them for a while. it'd feel like a waste if they ended up expiring, but leaving the card open and making an occasional purchase to keep them from expiring means i still have to deal with the annual fee

anyone have any specific advice, or can point to a general best practices guide for switching primary cards or closing an old card? my fico tends to slowly drift between 750 and 780 if that's relevant

astral
Apr 26, 2004

(edit: I reread the post and it specifies AA) You can definitely do a product change with it, keep your old account etc. but change the program associated with it. Alternatively, there is a no-annual-fee version of the AA card you could change to; this would let you keep the old one open (and make it easy to keep your miles active by spending $1 every so often), and then you could open a new card with the program you prefer.

Miles, real miles (United, American, Delta, etc.) , are stored with the airline and often are subject to an expiration policy. Fake miles (any non-specific-airline-branded miles, typically) are stored with the bank.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How's the amazon card if you make a lot of amazon purchases? 5% sounds nice, no yearly fee, flat 2% back on gas 1% back on everything else

current cards are DiscoverIt (rotating 5% back each quarter, 1% otherwise) and Quicksilver (1.5% everything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I have the Amazon card solely for Amazon purchases. Unless you're churning for a SUB you'll almost never do better than 5%

e: I believe the Citi AA cards are a rare exception to the "can't PC cobranded cards" rule. Call them up and ask to swap to the double cash. Should have no effect on anything.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 15, 2021