Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember a bot ever getting DQ'd or a ref having to make a real ruling (other than the obviously illegal net from Free Shipping). So I suppose I can understand why the ref was gunshy. Still should have DQ'd Hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The net was complete control. There have been a few stoppages outside of that but it's usually bots getting stuck together.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh, Complete Control vs Ghost Raptor. The match where the refs were able to call a mulligan because a team brought in equipment that, while actually not barred by the literal words in the rulebook, deeply betrayed the spirit of the competition. So glad the refs have that kind of power, and would obviously use it again if someone was being a poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Oh, Complete Control vs Ghost Raptor. The match where the refs were able to call a mulligan because a team brought in equipment that, while actually not barred by the literal words in the rulebook, deeply betrayed the spirit of the competition. So glad the refs have that kind of power, and would obviously use it again if someone was being a poo poo.

IIRC it was on the rulebooks. Something like "entanglement devices" were banned

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Not in that years rulebook. They said things like ball bearings and oil slicks, but as Derek Young attested, entanglements was noticably missing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

They hosed up and only banned entangling projectiles but not entanglement in general.

That match should have been considered valid only because it was hilarious, with an immediate mid-competition rules change to prevent it from ever happening again. Having a rematch without that trick was probably the better decision, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

They hosed up and only banned entangling projectiles but not entanglement in general.

That match should have been considered valid only because it was hilarious, with an immediate mid-competition rules change to prevent it from ever happening again. Having a rematch without that trick was probably the better decision, though.

Ohhhhhhhhh

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'd love to see Nuts (2? 3?) from Robot Wars to fight in this. Curious how far it would last.

Clip of it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcoQIBVp38Y&t=471s

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Robots whose weapons rely on spinning on the spot aren't allowed under Battlebots rules. Much as I love the "literally just two wheels and a spike" school of robotics

Tunicate posted:

That match should have been considered valid only because it was hilarious, with an immediate mid-competition rules change to prevent it from ever happening again.
This might be the best policy TBH. Having the odd rules lawyer match is kindof funny as long as you then make sure it doesn't happen again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The legacy of Blendo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Robots whose weapons rely on spinning on the spot aren't allowed under Battlebots rules. Much as I love the "literally just two wheels and a spike" school of robotics
This might be the best policy TBH. Having the odd rules lawyer match is kindof funny as long as you then make sure it doesn't happen again.

Nuts had a melty brain system which allowed it to move while spinning. It's a really cool bit of software but it's not enough for battlebots. Which is a shame, I'd love to see something like it or a 250lbs Halo.

https://youtu.be/ulZBzPMpVwI

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I remember the poo poo they pulled with Son of Wyachi the first year with it's bullshit walking system. The rule got changed the next year to require articulated walkers to get the weight bonus, and they got destroyed ASAP in the Super-heavyweight class

SOW's original run was cool and good though. Way more fun than the million times Biohazard won.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

He can’t even make eye contact with anyone. He’s a villain the same way school shooters are villains.

Also don’t the Ewerts come off as a little creepy as a whole to anyone else? And their whole “throwing spaghetti at the wall to try to get in the finals” gimmick smacks of a fundamental lack of confidence and focus.

halokiller posted:

A lot of builders weren't huge fans of Team Whyachi back in the day because they were the equivalent of a Nascar team going to a local car meet. They all wear custom uniforms when most builders could only afford t-shirts with emblems, have a poo poo load of money to burn, and try to act like a professional team in a sport that's still considered amateur.

I always imagine all the Ewerts living on a huge isolated patch of land in the country somewhere, one of those families where no-one outside of the family really knows how they make money, and no one outside the family really wants to know. I've always thought they give off weird rednecky vibes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I remember the poo poo they pulled with Son of Wyachi the first year with it's bullshit walking system. The rule got changed the next year to require articulated walkers to get the weight bonus, and they got destroyed ASAP in the Super-heavyweight class

Need to know more about this.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Rondette posted:

I always imagine all the Ewerts living on a huge isolated patch of land in the country somewhere, one of those families where no-one outside of the family really knows how they make money, and no one outside the family really wants to know. I've always thought they give off weird rednecky vibes.

They make the "udder gun", a milking tool.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Need to know more about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgYbhJ7Xps8

The original version of Son of Whyachi was a shuffler. Shufflers were a type of walker that had very efficient weight conservation and could be pretty fast, but they relied on a rotating cam to push all the legs in an actuating motion. Most walkers back then were shufflers. Gammatron and Pressure Drop (from Derek Young, the goon guy who did Complete Control).

Son of Whyachi was the first bot to use the walker weight advantage really efficiently, putting most of that on their weapon. So they had a spinning cage so massive it was basically unstoppable. It won all its fights in its first season, and ushered in a new era of spinners. That was the first season that spinners started doing well in heavier weight classes. If you watch the original 5 seasons of Battlebots from Comedy Central, season 3.0 is the turning point where weapons start doing real damage. In later seasons Battlebots changed the weight bonus and banned shufflers from getting it. SOW moved up to the superheavyweight class for the last two seasons and turned it into a wheeled bot, but they had some mechanical issues with the redesign and never had the same success.

Still, that makes Son of Whyachi one of only four bots actively competing that have a giant nut.

Tombstone, Perfect Phoenix, and BiteForce are the other three.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm actually angry about Hydra vs. Huge.

-Its attachment didn't fit inside the battlebox, which I thought was against the rules
-it looked like it didn't have a functioning weapon outside of the geometry of its bars, which was explicitly supposed to be against the rules. Beta was waiting for a chance it didn't get, Hydra just never intended to use any weapon and probably couldn't even fire it off
-it didn't meaningfully let up its pin, which is also against the rules.

Those aren't even judge issues, that's an issue with the referee not enforcing rules that should've just disqualified it. For the actual judging, Hydra barely had the edge in control because it only barely had the muscle to push Huge around and that's why he cheated with his pin. One blade scrape seems on par with the hammer smashes in that neither really damaged either bot. Hydra loving has the muscle to flip Huge if it tried, but it didn't. gently caress them and their cheating loving asses.

I do have some issues with Huge putting itself in a position where it just makes it near impossible to hit, but it's been absolutely devastated before, it's been flipped, it can be pushed around, it's not an impossible puzzle.

Ghost Raptor just makes me sad. It's a cool looking design, it did pretty well in its earlier years, but I think its spinner has a bad angle, its lifter is underdeveloped, the basic concept of its wheels being out to the side and able to lift the whole main body up was done better by Red Devil, and it just keeps breaking. Jackpot was pretty impressive though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Huge isn't impossible to hit, the wheels are big fat targets, and destroying one of them would take out Huge easily.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hydra's weapon still worked. Possibly with reduced efficacy, but it's impossible to know now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/ktyz34/comment_from_battlebots_fb_hydras_weapon_test_vs/

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
It's an interesting design problem now, with all these outlier bots. How do you put together a strategy for the usual suspects like minotaur or gigabyte, and then also mammoth, huge, and smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The weird thing about Ghost Raptor is it's trying to do a bunch of different stuff and being bad at all of it. Chuck had a ton of success with Gamma Raptor back in the old days and I legit think a heavily armored 250 lb version of that would actually be pretty good in the current Battlebots. Just ditch the lovely spinner and go back to what you're good at.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

rarbatrol posted:

It's an interesting design problem now, with all these outlier bots. How do you put together a strategy for the usual suspects like minotaur or gigabyte, and then also mammoth, huge, and smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

It's harder to push or get a good throw off on Huge just because it's an awkward shape, but it's also prone to flopping around dumbly because it's got a high center of gravity. Judges normally don't like flopping around. You also can't be as heavily armored, and if something does break, it'll be harder for you to show some kind of controlled movement. Mammoth is similar, hard to get leverage on, but lightly armored and poor leverage itself for actually pushing.

I still don't really know what Smeeeeeeeee's deal is. I think it has better leverage for pushing but less power and less ability to do damage?

oh jay posted:

Hydra's weapon still worked. Possibly with reduced efficacy, but it's impossible to know now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/ktyz34/comment_from_battlebots_fb_hydras_weapon_test_vs/

That reminds me of some thoughts I was having about whether it'd count as aggression if you stuck a spinner on your butt and never tried to turn it towards your opponent. Does it count as a weapon if it's literally unable to really touch anything? It certainly shouldn't count as aggression if you're not really trying to hit your opponent and just blocking the fight from happening.

There's bad judge decisions, and then there's just straight-up cheating because the ref isn't used to people just making GBS threads on the face of the rules.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I still don't really know what Smeeeeeeeee's deal is. I think it has better leverage for pushing but less power and less ability to do damage?

Being low to the ground and getting cheap hits on wheels. In theory at least.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's bad judge decisions, and then there's just straight-up cheating because the ref isn't used to people just making GBS threads on the face of the rules.

Truly the most 2020 of bots, then

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

The weird thing about Ghost Raptor is it's trying to do a bunch of different stuff and being bad at all of it. Chuck had a ton of success with Gamma Raptor back in the old days and I legit think a heavily armored 250 lb version of that would actually be pretty good in the current Battlebots. Just ditch the lovely spinner and go back to what you're good at.

It does a bunch of stuff badly because it's a refit of an older grab/lift robot, preda raptor. That's why the spinner is articulated and the lower forks are so ineffective. He entered preda raptor initially but battlebots said no. Hence Ghost Raptors existence. Preda raptor actually looked like the logo on his shirt too.

https://robogames.fandom.com/wiki/Preda_Raptor

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

MiddleOne posted:

Being low to the ground and getting cheap hits on wheels. In theory at least.

Also being so wide and floppy that it's hard to reach and hit anything other than their armored front side.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
How do these guys afford to do this? Battlebots doesn't have cash prizes as far as I know, and evidently $4 grand is super cheap for a robot. Won't you have to have pretty much whole copies of your bot for spare parts? For the even more expensive ones I just don't see how they can just keep fixing and rebuilding without rewards and not go in the hole. Do the sponsors pay for most of that or do they pretty much have to be rich?

Side note, I love the Mad Catter guy. He's just so goofily enthusiastic and you can tell how proud he is of his community college students, love to see that. I think characters like that add a lot to the whole experience.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

PopetasticPerson posted:

How do these guys afford to do this? Battlebots doesn't have cash prizes as far as I know, and evidently $4 grand is super cheap for a robot. Won't you have to have pretty much whole copies of your bot for spare parts? For the even more expensive ones I just don't see how they can just keep fixing and rebuilding without rewards and not go in the hole. Do the sponsors pay for most of that or do they pretty much have to be rich?

Side note, I love the Mad Catter guy. He's just so goofily enthusiastic and you can tell how proud he is of his community college students, love to see that. I think characters like that add a lot to the whole experience.

From what I've seen you need to be rich, AND have sponsors. A lot of the teams are straight up robotics companies which makes the whole exercise very cheap advertising/PR/R&D/team building. But there are different tournaments of different weight/expense classes around the world, right down to the brilliant Hebocon:

quote:

All the entrants are people who neither have the technical expertise, determination, nor the focus it takes to build an actual robot. That is why the robots in this contest can barely even move forward, and why they put on stunningly crappy sumo matches.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I know bounty hunter gives cash prizes split between multiple competitors (25,000 total per bounty round)

The main tournament also pays out, here's the payment from 2016

quote:

$500 to any Alternate Team that fights during Rehearsal Matches
$500 to any Teams that fight in the Rumbles (win or lose).
$500 to each Qualifying Round Losing Team.
$1,000 to each Qualifying Round Winning Team.
$2,000 to each of the Championship Tournament Round 1 Winning Teams.
$3,000 to each of the Championship Tournament Round 2 Winning Teams.
$5,000 to each of the Championship Tournament Round 3 Winning Teams.
$10,000 to each of the Championship Tournament Round 4 Winning Teams.
$25,000 to the Championship Tournament Finals Winning Team (The Tournament Champion).

That said I think most of it is sponsor $, those aren't big prizes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PopetasticPerson posted:

They definitely do get some money from Discovery. Also seems they might have gotten paid pretty well to do the Bounty Hunters episodes, which seems like just about everyone got to partake in. (Source from Team Kraken - https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/kdc958/battlebots_bounty_hunters/)

Also, outside of a few teams, it's safe to say most of these teams are not poor and have money to sink thousands into a hobby they will destroy...

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah, you need access to tools, materials and a workspace. Sponsors can cover some fraction of that, bit it's still ridiculously expensive - I participated in a non-combat competition back in college and it was still something like 20K total.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you're a robotics nerd your day job is probably technical and paying a decent six figs? Then instead of buying teslas and soylent you buy CNCs and make robot parts, I guess? I've been watching Robert Cowan's youtube channel just to see what he's building in his home shop, but he's also got a lot of robot combat stuff and he's also on team Copperhead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vaqy9i-yDQ

edit: I'm overgeneralizing, I'm sure that a lot of folks just do it as a hobby and it's expensive, plus there's a lot of young teams that probably have to have as much help as they can get to not only afford the parts but the massive amounts of time it'd take to build, test, and then take a week off to travel and compete.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 12, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Oh poo poo, this is the first I've heard about Bounty Hunters. Awesome! Whole other show!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PopetasticPerson posted:

How do these guys afford to do this?

Sponsors, crowd funding, being in an organization, or at least bourgeoisie as gently caress.

That said, a lot of them got their start (and still compete) in local competitions for lighter, significantly cheaper bots. Witch Doctor's team has recommended 1lb class competitions as being one of the more fun scenes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wish they'd bring back the middle weight class, that always had the best damage/armor ratio into the olden days. Plus, a 75 lbs is gonna be a lot cheaper to build than a 300lb one

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Sponsors, crowd funding, being in an organization, or at least bourgeoisie as gently caress.

That said, a lot of them got their start (and still compete) in local competitions for lighter, significantly cheaper bots. Witch Doctor's team has recommended 1lb class competitions as being one of the more fun scenes.

Can second that, 1s and 3s are fun as hell. Plus you can build stupid nonsense and even if it exploded you're not out much more than travel costs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

I wish they'd bring back the middle weight class, that always had the best damage/armor ratio into the olden days. Plus, a 75 lbs is gonna be a lot cheaper to build than a 300lb one

maybe. you have to factor in the costs of spares as well and for a category that's gonna be lighter on armor, there's probably a greater desire to go full glass canon than in the heavier divisions where it's cheaper and easier to bulk up on armor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Heavy is exciting specifically because everything has weight so I dunno.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The Bounty Hunters fights have been pretty good so far. Very entertaining. Some decent personal drama thrown in too, but mostly the good kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

You still get some funny shenanigans in the beetleweight class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLI9RBkhUQ&t=1147s