Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Saying "this is in spite of lockdown" is a bit disingenuous. Lockdown started less than a week ago.

Realistically, unless it's Captain Trips magically spreading to all the sinners, a sufficiently hard lockdown is going to stop any virus in its tracks. If you don't leave your house, you can't catch anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Missed this before - I'd only seen epidemiologists advise it, but the government confirmed a couple of days ago that border/quarantine workers will be in the first round of vaccinations, which seems like a very good idea to me:

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/press-conference-australian-parliament-house-12

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

If ever there was any lingering doubt that racism is still alive and well in this country, 6 people were ejected from the cricket test at the SCG due to racial abuse directed at an Indian fielder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah and they looked to be 18-24

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Wizard Master posted:

If ever there was any lingering doubt that racism is still alive and well in this country, 6 people were ejected from the cricket test at the SCG due to racial abuse directed at an Indian fielder.

The claim is that they were saying something along the lines of “welcome to Sydney” then comparing Siraj’s name to a type of wine (???).

Seems legit.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Wizard Master posted:

quote:

Indian spectator Rishi Aryan, who was seated in the same bay, told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age on Sunday: “All these boys were doing is a bit of sledging of the player on the outfield. First it was Bumrah then they had a sledge against Siraj. They kept calling him Shiraz and all that crap. Next thing you know they said: ‘Welcome to Sydney, Siraj’ and then he got the shits. That was literally it. Then he walked off.

“I don’t know why [the police kicked the men out]. Next thing you know you see police everywhere. It didn’t make sense. It was confusing.”

Another spectator with his family believed there was nothing racist said. He also corroborated Mr Aryan’s statement that the phrase "Welcome to Sydney, Siraj" was used.

A source with knowledge of the investigations of the weekend incidents also said crowd members in that section of the ground had been singing the song Que Sera, Sera using Siraj's name.

quote:

Witnesses, SCG security and police all believe the remarks were not racist but the Indians insist they were.

I guess changing his name from Siraj to Shiraz is racist but not sure any of the witness accounts I've read indicate racial abuse. There was an incident of racism yesterday which was probably worse but we won't find out until the ICC are done investigating.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MY INDIAN FRSPECTATOR

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Scylo posted:

I guess changing his name from Siraj to Shiraz is racist but not sure any of the witness accounts I've read indicate racial abuse. There was an incident of racism yesterday which was probably worse but we won't find out until the ICC are done investigating.

Must be horrid if the International Criminal Court is looking into it.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Wizard Master posted:

WIZARD MASTER
ЯƎTƧAM ꓷЯAZIW

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not arguing that the comments were/werent racist but why is sledging permitted at all? gently caress cricket is dumb.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Sledging is just "part of the game" according to australian cricket players, famed sportsmanship puritans

to be fair the wikipedia page suggests that its a global phenomenon. must just be a good sport

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cricket. Truly the only sport in the world where a player would whisper "I hosed ya mum" into an opponent's ear while seeking a psychological advantage.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The skills you learn in junior cricket are batting, bowling, fielding and then sledging, at junior levels it's just dumb poo poo like "he's swinging like a rusty gate" and then it gets much worse once you hit mens cricket where you have 30 year old men yelling abuse at a 16 y.o on debut and you've just got to put up with it.

This is actually one of the reasons it's good women's cricket is on TV now because then people can watch cricket that doesn't involve all of that if they want, and kids can attend games that are attended by normal people and not people that yell out abuse

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was curious about the current coronavirus numbers, so I googled them and, drat, I never realised just how many of the cases were Victorian.

It came so drat close to being so drat bad. If Dandrews hadn't insisted on the lockdowns and masks it would have taken off and just turbo hosed the whole country.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Oh look, 2021, COVID2.0. Similar timelines too. I wonder if we'll properly lock down the schools this time (WA).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Konomex posted:

Oh look, 2021, COVID2.0. Similar timelines too. I wonder if we'll properly lock down the schools this time (WA).

Kids don’t catch it though?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sulla Faex posted:

Sledging is just "part of the game" according to australian cricket players, famed sportsmanship puritans

to be fair the wikipedia page suggests that its a global phenomenon. must just be a good sport

That kind of thing definitely happens in all sports. The current Australian cricket team is probably the least sledgy version of that team ever, even the fast bowlers don't do much more than glare a bit. Not that I like trash talk but footy, basketball etc are all full of it also

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hambeet posted:

Unfortunately you can still get it even if you have the mind of a child

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

That kind of thing definitely happens in all sports. The current Australian cricket team is probably the least sledgy version of that team ever, even the fast bowlers don't do much more than glare a bit. Not that I like trash talk but footy, basketball etc are all full of it also

I’d agree it’s a part of nearly all sports, but cricket seems to have taken it to the next level.

Idk if it’s because of the length of a game or what.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

Unfortunately you can still get it even if you have the mind of a child

I’m ruined!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

hambeet posted:

I’d agree it’s a part of nearly all sports, but cricket seems to have taken it to the next level.

Probably because everyone's standing around for most of the time so everybody's still fresh to talk trash. In most other sports you're a bit winded so it's harder

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It could be that getting into someone's head in cricket actually has more of an effect than other sports. Cricket being a game of millimeters at times and requiring immense concentration for long periods

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Today’s poo poo take

https://twitter.com/joshbutler/status/1348437183972007937

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hambeet posted:

Not quite sure if your joking or not, but just in case your not, 1 in 18 high schoolers in London probably had covid over Christmas:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/london-covid-latest-figures-show-19591605

"Children in the 12 to 16 age group had the highest percentage of infection of any age group in the capital during the period."

It's as we've always known, kids are fundamentally just huge plague rats and should not be kept inside city walls. :colbert:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

dr_rat posted:

Not quite sure if your joking or not, but just in case your not, 1 in 18 high schoolers in London probably had covid over Christmas:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/london-covid-latest-figures-show-19591605

"Children in the 12 to 16 age group had the highest percentage of infection of any age group in the capital during the period."

It's as we've always known, kids are fundamentally just huge plague rats and should not be kept inside city walls. :colbert:

Hambeet is not kidding btw

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hambeet posted:

Is there any other sport where opponents are so consistently alone together, for sometimes hours on end? Like baseball if two batters batted continuously from 9am to lunchtime, taking turns standing next to the pitcher when they weren't facing a ball.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

The Artificial Kid posted:

Is there any other sport where opponents are so consistently alone together, for sometimes hours on end? Like baseball if two batters batted continuously from 9am to lunchtime, taking turns standing next to the pitcher when they weren't facing a ball.

They should just talk to them like they're a mate, not an opponent!

"What'd you get up to on the weekend?"

"That was some great work you did yesterday, I wish I could bowl like that!"

"gently caress, I had this little bit of sandpaper in my pocket but I seem to have dropped it, can you see it anywhere?"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

hambeet posted:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hambeet posted:

The new strain affects younger people even moreso than the last one, I don't know what the cut off is that the new strain won't infect you but I'm not sure the UK Doctors have said. Too busy zipping people into body bags apparently.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Konomex posted:

The new strain affects younger people even moreso than the last one, I don't know what the cut off is that the new strain won't infect you but I'm not sure the UK Doctors have said. Too busy zipping people into body bags apparently.

Ok doomer

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
moneybags mark mcgowan has told people in wa to get a mask in case.

does he not understand the burden is too much to bear for the average true blue digger doing it rough if you add up the distributed cost collectively?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Not quite the same, but the NHL playoffs were in a bubble with no crowds, which meant the sledges between players were loud and clear (on journo just tweeted the constantly). In a 7 game series you have a lot of time to for disagreements to blow up!

Pretty sure it’s it all sports, two factors for cricket, stump mic picking up things that wouldn’t get heard in other arenas and the second is the idea of cricket being a noble gentleman’s sport (it’s not it’s a sport).

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

That was awesome

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

crepeface posted:

moneybags mark mcgowan has told people in wa to get a mask in case.

does he not understand the burden is too much to bear for the average true blue digger doing it rough if you add up the distributed cost collectively?

Well this Millenial got 2 masks, didn't affect his budget at all. Find out how he did it below!

His Mum got them for him. That's always the answer to these things.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

They should just talk to them like they're a mate, not an opponent!

"What'd you get up to on the weekend?"

"That was some great work you did yesterday, I wish I could bowl like that!"

"gently caress, I had this little bit of sandpaper in my pocket but I seem to have dropped it, can you see it anywhere?"

i reckon if you were out there being super nice to them, it'd probably weird them out more as they wait for the sledge that never comes.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Konomex posted:

Well this Millenial got 2 masks, didn't affect his budget at all. Find out how he did it below!

His Mum got them for him. That's always the answer to these things.

his dad owns the factory

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Scotty from marketing just announced he's taking a week's holiday.

Sure must have been rough for him these last few months, doing everything he could to try and stop the premiers from fighting and overcoming a global pandemic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
He only just got back from a Christmas Holiday.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Acting prime minister says 'facts are sometimes contentious'

McCormack was asked on ABC is some censorship by social media platforms was required when it was being used to stop the spread of misinformation.
This comes after Liberal MP Craig Kelly posted on Facebook with a list of statistics claiming that forcing children to wear facemasks was “child abuse”.
ABC host Georgie Tunny:

Shouldn’t facts then be upheld above all else? What kind of censure is there for party members who maybe spreading misinformation?

McCormack:

Facts are sometimes contentious and what you might think is right, somebody else might think is completely untrue. That is part of living in a democratic country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
McCormack wasted no time in prying open his fat maw

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/us-news/trump-news/2021/01/11/michael-mccormack-donald-trump/

quote:

But Mr McCormack said it should not be up to Big Tech to decide whose voices were heard.

“I don’t believe in that sort of censorship,” he told ABC radio on Monday.

“There’s been a lot of people who have said and done a lot of things on Twitter previously that haven’t received that sort of condemnation or indeed censorship.”

also

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/01/10/trump-twitter-ban-christensen-facebook-australia/

quote:

“How long before the social media overlords interfere heavily in Australian politics? It’s time to rein them in,” Mr Christensen wrote on Facebook on Sunday.

Mr Christensen previously shared Facebook posts claiming “vote fraud” and “dodgy extra votes” in the American election.

One such post was restricted behind Facebook ‘fact checks’, with a warning placed on it saying it was “missing context”, and links to a comprehensive article debunking the claim.

In recent days, Mr Christensen has shared a link to a story from a conservative blog, claiming the violent insurrection at the US Capitol was a ‘false flag’ by left-wing groups.
On Sunday, he shared a post to his 68,000 Facebook followers and 1300 on conservative social media service Parler, asking them to help “stop Big Tech censorship” by signing his petition.