Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also been leaks of the Blacksmith but it's hard to see whether it has a goat or a dog.

Kazzah posted:

Seems pretty light on the gardens, which is not a complaint AFAIC

There's a half baseplate with a pagoda and gardens but it's less interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm debating buying it night one with my 2020 VIP points eating up 1/3 of the cost. But then I think? There is no GWP for a $300 set? Maybe I will wait and hope it is available at a later date when there is something worth getting with it.

Who am I kidding, I'll get it night 1 just like the last two.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'm going to get it and try to integrate the CNY Lantern set into the pagoda part. I don't have the Docks but I think I can make it look cool next to the City.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also been leaks of the Blacksmith but it's hard to see whether it has a goat or a dog.

Its a dog, a husky, unfortunately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Its a dog, a husky, unfortunately.

What have you got against huskies?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

What have you got against huskies?

They're not goats.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Chairchucker posted:

They're not goats.

My brother’s used to head butt us and break through his door when my brother left him at home. He would eat everything in site too, seemed goat-ish.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And they both scream a lot and have no sense of boundaries.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Huskies are everywhere in lego, goats are not. A husky is a disappointing addition. A new animal, like the deer or something would have also been much better, oh well.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just glue some horns to the huskie, like what they did to the mice in Scrooged

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Also, short review of the Bonsai. It's terrific. Also the system they made to swap leaves is great. If only the treehouse had it.

Also the GWP car is very nice, though the surfboards are very fiddly. It's good to have a car that fits minifigs next to each other. Lego does need to make a new steering wheel though so it wouldn't be offset like in the new speed champions. Not the end of the world.

I also used this guy's razor crest engine mod as inspiration on a redone version of the official's engines and I think it adds a much cleaner look to the set. With a side effect of making it much more resilient to being played with by my toddler. The official engine front assembly suffers greatly being swooshed by a 2 year old.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=177781

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 8, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The eclipse refuses to get smaller while building it. What did I set myself up for here?

but boy, a giant star destroyer thing with an actual cool and good way to attach the giant lower halfs of the outer skin? what kind of dark magic is this

Also ninjago gardens looks cool, imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Scipiotik posted:

Also, short review of the Bonsai. It's terrific. Also the system they made to swap leaves is great. If only the treehouse had it.
Right on. It looked great in the catalog, and went to the top of my list.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a half baseplate with a pagoda and gardens but it's less interesting.

Wait, this li'l bit comes with Gardens? Because I was worried it would not look good next to City if I don't have Docks, but a little spacer like this would probably solve that nicely.

(streamin' in 20 mins)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tuo posted:

The eclipse refuses to get smaller while building it. What did I set myself up for here?

but boy, a giant star destroyer thing with an actual cool and good way to attach the giant lower halfs of the outer skin? what kind of dark magic is this

Also ninjago gardens looks cool, imo

I’m impressed to see someone tackling that... you should post some progress pics whenever you get a second!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

tomapot posted:

Just glue some horns to the huskie, like what they did to the mice in Scrooged

Have you tried staples?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Oldtimer is neat and almost the same scale as the yellow cab and I’ll agree the surfboards are reaaaaaally loosely attached, like look at it wrong and it’ll fall off. Guess I’ll try the pickup mod I saw floating around or see if I got some pieces leftover to cover the studs when I take the surfboards off.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

ChesterJT posted:

Have you tried staples?

Bucket handles!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Holy poo poo....the CNY garden sold out in under 90 mins. And that is w/out the GWP.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I didn't even know that was going live. I kept searching under new and only saw the one with the lion. At least they're taking backorders

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Waltzing Along posted:

Holy poo poo....the CNY garden sold out in under 90 mins. And that is w/out the GWP.

the what and the what?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

uXs posted:

the what and the what?

Chinese New Year garden; gift with purchase

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New pics:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I totally forgot what day it was. I was kind of thinking about putting off buying it, but it's listed at 60 day backorder on the Canadian site, so screw it, I guess I might as well order now and then end up receiving it in march or something. :v:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I was considering getting another modular building to go with the Grand Emporium I got a few years ago, but on the lego online store it looks like all the modular buildings are out of print/stock? Did I just look at the store at a bad time or are there no modular buildings in print now? Are there plans to make any new ones?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I was considering getting another modular building to go with the Grand Emporium I got a few years ago, but on the lego online store it looks like all the modular buildings are out of print/stock? Did I just look at the store at a bad time or are there no modular buildings in print now? Are there plans to make any new ones?

Pandemic issues have caused people to buy them all as lego struggles with production. Sign up for in stock alerts and wait.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't think any of them have gone out of print recently. And there's a new one every year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lego doesn’t do a great job distinguishing out of stock from retired. I’d expect most of the Creator Expert sets to come back, but seasonal or older Ideas sets are doubtful.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

totally sold. that higher piece count compared to the city obviously goes towards the separate pagoda plate and the taller tower. really nice amount of detail all around, the rear looks just as good as the front unlike the original city which was a little plain behind.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 10, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Not that I'm f5'ing every day to spend $800 on lego, but I threw the big Millennium Falcon into my wishlist since I check every day for the train parts I want. Does that ever actually come back in stock? For some reason I thought that was a retired thing but they just list it as temporarily out of stock, so I guess if it happened to pop up I'd be silly not to buy it.

I managed to finally get my first bricklink order from a local guy who had train motors but only the AA battery packs that don't fit in train. But those are cheap and I have a ton of rechargeable AA's so I figured why not? I just jammed the battery pack in the top which already makes it way top-heavy, then the unregulated speed from six AA's batteries just had it fly right off the track at the first turn. Was pretty amusing. I had been keeping semi-dead batteries around unsure if you could use them to just pass through voltage to regulate the speed but once they became fully dead that didn't work. So I ordered some knock-off AAA packs from aliexpress, but once you're on aliexpress then hey I may as well order some other stuff from the same seller, like a ton more extra track and the stuff to elevate the track and maybe I'll just bookmark some of these cool modular sets and the knockoff emerald night train and this hobby is such a loving rabbit hole I hate it.

Edit: and since the ali order will take over a month yes I am investigating dummy batteries to throw in those packs, but I'll resist getting them because when would I ever use them again once the real packs show up?

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 10, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

davebo posted:

Not that I'm f5'ing every day to spend $800 on lego, but I threw the big Millennium Falcon into my wishlist since I check every day for the train parts I want. Does that ever actually come back in stock? For some reason I thought that was a retired thing but they just list it as temporarily out of stock, so I guess if it happened to pop up I'd be silly not to buy it.

With the current state of Lego's supply chain, it's really hard to tell what is coming back into stock and what isn't. "Temporarily out of stock" usually reliably means it'll be back, but who knows right now. The UCS Falcon has been out of stock for well over a year. I don't think they have manufactured many, if any during the pandemic.

My guess is that it will come back at some point and they are making it one of those sets like the Death Star, that is just around for years.

There's other, weirder cases like the cantina that have been sold out since they day it was released like 5 months ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What do you guys think of Lego's new approach to the more mid range Star Wars sets? I can't help but think it's really smart, but also kind of off putting knowing that the previous versions of the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Imperial shuttle all look noticeably better.

At the same time I am impressed at how much of the part count/price they were able to chop off. They really needed to do something to make the SW prices more affordable and it's cool they seem to be taking a stab at it.

I have the previous versions of all of them, so it's nbd to me, but I have become so accustomed to seeing a new version of a SW set I already have, and it looking so much better that I feel like I need to get it, while this is the opposite. Although, I may crack on the X-Wing when it goes on sale so I can get General Dodonna and just continue with my X-wing addiction by throwing #6 on to the pile

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I dug my skull eye schooner out of the box and it was almost all complete still. Had to put the masts and sails up obviously. I can't believe the instructions go for 150 on ebay

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

With the current state of Lego's supply chain, it's really hard to tell what is coming back into stock and what isn't. "Temporarily out of stock" usually reliably means it'll be back, but who knows right now. The UCS Falcon has been out of stock for well over a year. I don't think they have manufactured many, if any during the pandemic.

My guess is that it will come back at some point and they are making it one of those sets like the Death Star, that is just around for years.

There's other, weirder cases like the cantina that have been sold out since they day it was released like 5 months ago.

In November I was able to go to the lego store at my mall (masked up early on a weekday) and pick up the UCS Falcon from their stock.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd still love a midi-sized Super Star Destroyer. I'd imagine it'd still be like two feet long, but it'd be easier to display than the full-sized one, which honestly felt like they just needed to get rid of a lot of dark grey planks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This person on reddit made a fun mod of the Police Modular:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/kuftq5/i_decided_to_make_some_slight_modifications_to/

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

As others have mentioned, stock is a mess because of pandemic. If you have a local lego store, I'd recommend checking to see if they have stock and doing curbside pickup or something. Alternatively, check other retailers (walmart, amazon) to see if they've got any at MSRP.

I'd recommend grabbing Assembly Square if you can afford it since there's good rumors that it will go out of print soon. Downtown Diner would be the next choice, since it's the second oldest, and is just a good modular in particular. But again, I personally wouldn't pay more then MSRP for either of these, particularly if you're just looking for -a- modular, since something will eventually come back in stock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh I love this! Definitely a good alternative to the police station.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m impressed to see someone tackling that... you should post some progress pics whenever you get a second!

It's....black ;) I'll try to get some pics up but I'm actually nearly finished. I'll still try to get some pics up soon. I built a lot of oversized stuff, but the Eclipse might be the point where I'll hold off for quite a while. Not because it's a bad MoC. It has it's flaws especially in order of building it (there are sections that you simply can't press down on the rest of the set without either removing past steps to counterpress on them without breaking the whole thing, or at the same time are impossible to do outside of stud.io. Luckily, these things don't really show on the final set too much...so typical MoC stuff). That beeing said, it's way, WAY better than I thought it would be, and I think I never had as much fun building something star destroyer shaped in that size (either LEGO or MoC).

I wanted to tackle the Nebulon B MoC next, but after reading reviews about that one (basically everyone who built it confirms it is 100% not possible to move after beeing built without destroying it) I might settle for a Razor Crest or so...

e: what I love about the Eclipse is the humor about the interior (it's not only a super star destroyer, but also has a modular-like interior on minifig scale right up to the bridge). Right next to the emperor's throne room, there are the sleeping quarters for the stormtroppers, with a shower and stuff.

tuo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Help me out here, I'm a huge comic nerd but with more of an X-Men focus than Spider-Man. Isn't it "The Daily Bugle"? What's the C stand for?

I like the Marvel integration because I did order the police station and currently our bookstore and assembly square are sitting on a cabinet directly underneath my "Hunt for Wolverine" poster which is like a Where's Waldo with most the Marvel Universe and 12 Wolverines in it, and also the cast of Thor: Ragnarok hanging out on the tops of the buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
And for those of us without Docks, maybe a little more like:

It would probably look better without the little pagoda in between them, honestly. The walkways just ending there is kind of weird. Then again, building a little catwalk/walkway to bridge them might be fun, too.

P.S. I'm doing additional streams because Twitch is a greedy bastard and it needs me to be streamin' more days (7 in a month) to become an affiliate channel. But no worries, I have no lack of things to talk about. Gonna start doing an hour-long Tuesday stream at 12:00 PM Central on top of the Friday MOC design stream, and the Tuesday one will be less design-based and more informative. Out first Tuesday stream (in 2 days) will be about how to get started with Studio, helpful commands and features and shortcuts, etc. since I have had several people tell me my stream has made them start messing around with the program.