Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CJacobs posted:

Only Comcast can make "plug in a new, non Comcast modem and it takes a few minutes to reset itself and then it just works" into a five hour series of three tech support calls that go in circles because each individual person does not know how to actually activate it and will not pass off the phone to someone who does. I'm not loving paying $70 for a technician to come out. A technician isn't coming out. Hit the button that says "the new modem works now" and hang up, you are not going to scam me, PLEASE stop trying.

edit: They were so incompetent that during this series of calls one of them removed my internet plan from the account and didn't put it back and it just disappeared from my list of packages, and I had to start off the next call reversing this error. Thanks dudes :)

Btw the modem didn't get set up. They couldn't figure it out.

Lol. 14 years ago I used to do tech support for Comcast. Customer owned equipment was a bitch because you needed to add it onto the account in a specific section if it didn’t register itself. It used to be fairly easy to do but it once in a blue moon caused an issue, so the obvious solution was to make it more and more difficult to do. By the time the centre shut down in order to add a customer owned modem to an account the support center had to chat to another support center in India to get it done.

It’s been 14 years since then, but I can only imagine it got worse and not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

Edit: I know that a lot of people wear masks wrong on purpose just to be assholes, but I see much so much variety in how people wear masks in a way that defeats the purpose that there must be other people that genuinely don't understand how they work.
People are insanely misinformed and seem to prefer believing crazy baseless poo poo to believing anything approaching fact. A lot of people are actively contrarian to the point they refuse to believe anything that's not incredibly insane. I have no idea how society persists.

I guess that's one of my pet peeves.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"[BIG HOT OPINION], don't @ me"

Question: If you don't want to be, uh, @ed then why did you post this on a site literally built around interpersonal communication and not, say, a blog with comments turned off?

Answer: it is because you are permanently locked into the emotional maturity of a sixth grader and are hopelessly addicted to attention

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
100% agree that if you don't want people to respond to and interact with your thoughts and lovely opinions, the correct course of action is fuckin shut up and keep it to yourself

but like. it's 2020, where are people (who don't have "be your own webmaster" levels of internet knowledge) going to get blogs with comments they can turn off lol. social media ate the internet. it's all social media now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Twitter just added that exact feature, actually. Now you can allow anyone, only yourself, or only a specific list of @s to respond to your tweet. Now you too can practice bending the rules to suppress the opinions of others in the comfort of your own home!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I used to work in a comcast call centre. There is no one to pass the phone off to. It's a poo poo company that only exists because they bribed themselves into a comfy monopoly.

I should amend my statement to say I'm not mad at the call center employees. I don't blame them for their incompetence, I'm more annoyed at Comcast for essentially not allowing them to be competent in the first place, as it's more important to them to talk about payment plans and contracts every 2.5 minutes or else fire the employee out of a cannon.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Dec 31, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

lmao not wanting to interact with bad-faith jack-offs with 16 numbers in their username is definitely 'suppressing the opinions of others'

'don't @ me' is def bait tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It would be if they couldn't just go post it on their own twitter profile instead. That's why this is just practice for the real thing. But also, lighten up, I was being facetious.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i'm sorry it's been a long day

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

100% agree that if you don't want people to respond to and interact with your thoughts and lovely opinions, the correct course of action is fuckin shut up and keep it to yourself

but like. it's 2020, where are people (who don't have "be your own webmaster" levels of internet knowledge) going to get blogs with comments they can turn off lol. social media ate the internet. it's all social media now

It’s the 2020 version of “don’t taze me, bro!”

You know 100 percent that it will get you tazed and/or @‘d, and so much more than if you just said your piece.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's actually no longer 2020 in much of the world. It just stopped being so in most of Europe so it's just us sad, sad people cursed to be in the Americas or worse, the UK that are still in this hell year.

Peeve: 2020. Get hosed 2020.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Years are an artificial delineation and we are going to continue being just as hosed in the new year, this changes nothing.

That's my peeve

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Relatedly, my peeve is new years resolutions. People who go "next year I'm gonna start X". If you had the willpower to change something about your life, you would've done so immediately rather than starting by putting it off. Just do the thing now! Maybe your resolution can be to continue, or just don't involve the number on the calendar in your decisionmaking.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Feeling like the past is behind you is important and having that feeling and the reflection that generally comes from switching to the new year gives you the distance you often need to identify what needs to change

My peeve is that there is a vein of Online that seems to think anything over a 6th grade reading level is inherently elitist, because they don't understand it. Sorry that you find that research papers are dense but they're supposed to be, they're for other researchers not the general public. They can't go explaining basic concepts every time, the target audience knows what the authors are talking about or else know how to find out. If education is expensive where you live that's a failure of your government not of science.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Garrand posted:

Years are an artificial delineation and we are going to continue being just as hosed in the new year, this changes nothing.

That's my peeve

People complaining that other people have any hope for anything is my pet peeve. Everyone knows that the calendar changing isn’t going to change anything but it’s nice to think that just maybe 2021 won’t suck as hard.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Killingyouguy! posted:

My peeve is that there is a vein of Online that seems to think anything over a 6th grade reading level is inherently elitist, because they don't understand it. Sorry that you find that research papers are dense but they're supposed to be, they're for other researchers not the general public. They can't go explaining basic concepts every time, the target audience knows what the authors are talking about or else know how to find out. If education is expensive where you live that's a failure of your government not of science.

I find the crackpots/conspiracy theorists are worse than the people who are just frustrated they can't understand a research paper. The crackpot will "read" it and then show up at your talk asking out of left field questions like "why didn't you consider dark matter" or "how do you know stars don't have a solid surface" in an accusatory "what are you hiding" tone. Even if you entertain them and try to explain why it's not relevant/correct, they'll accuse you and Big Academia trying to silence them. With the latter type of people you can at least satisfy them usually with a very "big picture" description of the paper, or alternative bore them enough until they decide they don't care anymore.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m just gonna keep rereading Harry Potter. That Snape guy seems so cool

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I find the crackpots/conspiracy theorists are worse than the people who are just frustrated they can't understand a research paper. The crackpot will "read" it and then show up at your talk asking out of left field questions like "why didn't you consider dark matter" or "how do you know stars don't have a solid surface" in an accusatory "what are you hiding" tone. Even if you entertain them and try to explain why it's not relevant/correct, they'll accuse you and Big Academia trying to silence them. With the latter type of people you can at least satisfy them usually with a very "big picture" description of the paper, or alternative bore them enough until they decide they don't care anymore.

Oh definitely. Though this particular brand of Online is sometimes not satisfied with a big picture description of a paper because 'academic writing is, in and of itself, designed to make people drop out of school after they've already paid tuition therefore reinforcing the Educated Elite' so the actual content of the paper is second to the style. It's incredibly stupid

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People complaining that other people have any hope for anything is my pet peeve. Everyone knows that the calendar changing isn’t going to change anything but it’s nice to think that just maybe 2021 won’t suck as hard.

I try to give individuals slack about this because most people are exposed to an unending firehose of negativity via social media and news outlets. It's very difficult not to fall into despair. But I do tell people who are loudly wallowing that maybe they should just disengage from twitter and news for a while, because it's going to improve their mood.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YouTube posted:

Experiencing interruptions? FIND OUT WHY
What is the point of that popup? YouTube doesn't know why my connection is slow. If you click it it literally just says "There are many factors that influence your video streaming quality ... Individual results may vary and the results for the same ISP may also vary between different locations and service speeds". No loving poo poo. Who is this supposed to help? Instead of just being annoyed by my slow internet, I'm now also annoyed by this stupid bullshit.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

For the last couple of weeks windows defender has been perpetually nagging me about a CRITICAL SECURITY ISSUE: HOSTS FILE HIJACK!!!!!!!
No matter how many times I go 'that's fine, allow it on the system', it'll whine again the next time it does a scan/boot.

The horrible hosts file hijack it complains about? Me adding some ad and malware blockers to my hosts file. So windows is complaining that I've blocked known malware sites.
I know hosts file hijacks are an issue for the braindead idiots who actually install shady poo poo and get them hijacked, but I added those overrides myself, windows. Stop loving whining. :nallears:

(For anyone curious: Windows has a hosts file which can be used to hard-redirect certain domains and IPs, like how DNS points you to the correct site when you type in google.com or whatever.
You can download giant redirect lists that just make a ton of ad+malware+tracking sites redirect back to your pc, meaning that when say, a site tries to serve some ads, they get stopped due to having the incorrect IP.
But windows is too loving dumb to discern this, and apparently starts screeching the moment it discovers a change to it now that windows itself hasn't applied I guess? It only recently started giving a poo poo.)
( https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts The adware+malware blocker only is up to 58k domains now, I see.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why isn't high contrast labeling/marking the default for computer ports? It's always black on indented black. It's dark, I can't see poo poo and forgot where I put my flashlight, would it kill you to highlight it in white so I could tell what this hole does?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Labelling be damned, I just want all ports to be entirely different shapes.

I feel like for a while things were going towards obvious size/shape ports & plugs, but now all the sudden they decided that DP should be very nearly the same shape as HDMI so when I'm reaching around the back of my computer and trying to plug things in I can't tell by touch whether the port matches whatever cable I'm trying to use. Then I have to drag everything out and do it visually and it kind of annoys me. I know what ethernet or type A usb feels like, but my dumb rear end fingers cannot seem to differentiate between DP and HDMI.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

I try to give individuals slack about this because most people are exposed to an unending firehose of negativity via social media and news outlets. It's very difficult not to fall into despair. But I do tell people who are loudly wallowing that maybe they should just disengage from twitter and news for a while, because it's going to improve their mood.

And gently caress it- every minute you cancel the apocalypse is a minute you spend being less miserable

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The Black Stones posted:

Lol. 14 years ago I used to do tech support for Comcast. Customer owned equipment was a bitch because you needed to add it onto the account in a specific section if it didn’t register itself. It used to be fairly easy to do but it once in a blue moon caused an issue, so the obvious solution was to make it more and more difficult to do. By the time the centre shut down in order to add a customer owned modem to an account the support center had to chat to another support center in India to get it done.

It’s been 14 years since then, but I can only imagine it got worse and not better.

When I was a department head in a call center, they hired a person over me because more managers is better right? Even though I already reported to 4 C level people, the VP of operations, the Director of operations, and some guy in the warehouse called Bernard.

Anyway, the person they hired made the claim that they had developed Comcasts system of call management which they still use today. She changed everything at our call center, and everyone quit. She really thought that making people mad was the best solution. She was super defensive. When we'd have department head meetings, if you ever questioned her, she'd flip out on you later about how I'm not supposed to have an opinion. The whole point of the meeting is so everyone gets an opinion.

Anyway, back to Comcast. I transitioned a place from Centurylink to VOIP through Comcast. I poo poo you not, it took at least 40 hours of work just on my side to make it happen. Every phone call was about 2 hours no matter what it was for. The reps kept changing, the phone numbers kept changing. They kept giving out the wrong number constantly so you could never find the department that you had been speaking to. Our account rep had no idea what to do and basically gave up. I've never been so frustrated. No one even knew what department they worked in. They denied that Comcast had business service. They denied that VoiceEdge existed even though I told them I was logged into it right now. They denied that we had an account. They denied that we had phone service. They denied that we had Internet with them even though I was currently connected.

The onsite tech that did the wiring was pretty cool though. He was very knowledgeable. and fast. Had no problem with the onsite.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It feels like stores are very dishonest about when they have things in stock, or when they expect deliveries etc, which is getting a lot more visible now that more things go out of stock faster, and get restocked slower due to covid.
When something is in stock it's a non-issue. The second something isn't, they start playing hot-potato with the dates.

Ordered a soundbar 2 weeks ago which was 'confirmed to be in stock, and ready for shipping' on wednesday the 30th december.
Then on monday it suddenly swapped over to 'not in stock, unconfirmed, might come on the 6th'
Then that slipped to the 7th, and will probably slip again tomorrow.

Either they had it in store on the 30th and sent the one I ordered to someone else, or they're just playing a lovely game of move the goalposts.
I bet they know exactly when they're getting in new stock, but they're terrified that they'll lose sales if they admit that say, new stock isn't coming until mid-jan. Instead of playing a perpetual 'oh it'll come tomorrow, we promise'.

They did something similar when I ordered something a year ago: What was supposed to be 1 week to confirmed stock+shipping ended up being a month of constant delays and 'oh we bet it'll come in in a couple days! just hang tight!'

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hey I'm your upstairs neighbor, just installing hardwood floors and playing indoor basketball with my children

haha what? There's an empty neighborhood basketball court 50 yards away from our condo? lolol gently caress that

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Hey I'm your upstairs neighbor, just installing hardwood floors and playing indoor basketball with my children

haha what? There's an empty neighborhood basketball court 50 yards away from our condo? lolol gently caress that

Don't mind me, I'll just spend an entire day drilling into brick with 0 forewarning about it, and not own up to it at all when called out.
People are trying to work from home? Pffft I have remodelling to do, and I have the day off.

No, I won't give any kind of schedule for when I will work, I'll just keep on working and drilling on and off at random intervals for weeks, because I'm also too lazy to finish everything at once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Owning a home is great, 2am reno all the way

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i am tired of the word "hosed". "we" are hosed. the country is hosed. the environment is hosed. the videogames industry is hosed. naruto is hosed. i get it. stop saying this

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shibawanko posted:

the videogames industry is hosed.

This concerns me

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

if you go to a store and accidentally drop poo poo and it's glass and it breaks and there's broken glass all over the floor TELL A loving EMPLOYEE. don't leave it there for little kids to step on, and DEFINITELY don't loving pick up the loving shards and hide them behind poo poo, what the gently caress. You won't get yelled at, you won't get forced to pay for it, if some rear end in a top hat manager tries to make you pay for it then just say "oh i didn't break it i just found the mess" or something i don't even give a poo poo about your complete lack of adult ability to take responsibility for your actions i just want you to stop leaving loving broken glass booby traps all over my workplace

three times in three days so far

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Also, people that pick up a refrigerated item, decide they don't want it, then hide it behind the bread or something instead of putting it back. Then someone gets to play "follow your nose and find the hidden 5 lb. ham" a couple of weeks later.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i am tired of the word "hosed". "we" are hosed. the country is hosed. the environment is hosed. the videogames industry is hosed. naruto is hosed. i get it. stop saying this

The greatest deleted scene in DVD history is a bit from All the Real Girls in which Danny McBride's character makes a pass at his cousin. She gets really upset, of course, and the scene ends with him saying "Christmas is hosed".

My pet peeve is that this scene isn't available on Youtube so I can't just link it here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

Also, people that pick up a refrigerated item, decide they don't want it, then hide it behind the bread or something instead of putting it back. Then someone gets to play "follow your nose and find the hidden 5 lb. ham" a couple of weeks later.

You don't even have to put it back honestly, just do the bare minimum of leaving it in plain sight

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

My current peeve is the Alexa, because my apartment neighbor has one and loves to use it all the time, which I can tell because he has the volume on full loving blast so I can hear everything it's saying clearly, right through the wall. And he feels the need to yell at it too (probably necessary because he often has loud music playing) so I get what sounds like a schoolteacher trying desperately to get a classroom full of children under control. "Alexa! ALEXA! A-LEX-A! Set a timer for three minutes!"

Today he set an alarm and then just ignored it or was out of the house when it went off, so it rang for like an hour, loud enough that I could hear it while listening to music on big over-ear headphones.

One time at literally 4:30 AM on a weeknight he decided it was the right time to have his Alexa play the same song five or six times in a row at incredible volume, with each play punctuated by him yelling at the thing to play it again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Peeve: Neighbors who do not appreciate morning "Uptown Funk" serenade.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You don't even have to put it back honestly, just do the bare minimum of leaving it in plain sight

poo poo all you really have to do is bring it to the cashier (which you were doing anyway) and tell them you changed your mind

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

nishi koichi posted:

poo poo all you really have to do is bring it to the cashier (which you were doing anyway) and tell them you changed your mind

every fuckin day i find poo poo stashed all over the checklane by people who would rather set up a hidden object game than loving interact with the cashier to say "i don't want this after all"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

docbeard posted:

Peeve: Neighbors who do not appreciate morning "Uptown Funk" serenade.

Play uptown puffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvlLgYOcWxE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was like, every position in a grocery store and every one of them is mad at this

Plus the customer side

I don't know who is deciding it's the best course of action but they should be brought up to customer service and thrown rocks at