Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ok Comboomer posted:

counted three ghost shrimp (and two are definitely the largest ones I introduced), they all look happy and completely intact (no missing limbs or eyestalks)

betta doesn’t seem to pay them any mind

wonder if she’s managed to eat any of them, wonder how many are actually in the tank

I put 8 in my tank and know there are for are 5 but these little bastards are hard to see.

But on the plus side the tank is looking great, lots of plant growth, Finn makes a bubble nest every day and seems to be happy in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
About transporting my fish tank: do I have to transport it flat or can I just use the back seat of my car because that's really all I have available.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phi230 posted:

About transporting my fish tank: do I have to transport it flat or can I just use the back seat of my car because that's really all I have available.
I've always just used the back seat of my car, with a few towels down to make a little more flat surface.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

After watching this guy's channel a bunch, I've found myself with a big enthusiasm for medaka. I also fell down a big rabbit hole, and found myself reading a paper in Nature about osteoclast activity in medaka fish reared at the international space station, which includes a link to footage of them mating in outer space!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Space Fish! That is so cool.

I'm adoring my gobies and German Rams. The rams are getting their turf set up, and are quite silly. One kept spitting out his food 4-6 times, then finally ate it. I had a 3 fish pileup at one of the caves. I never knew how awesome dwarf cichlids are. I need to think up some names for this trio.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/JV8Vay4.mp4 too many guppies

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

That is a plethora of guppies! I guess you can figure out why sometimes people call them 'millions fish'. I almost bought some blue ones, but the rams won the day. The only problem I have now is the rasboras are teeny, hungry little bubs who devour everything. I may use a dropper to make sure the new fish get to eat.

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed
I have a betta with fin rot that I want to move to a quarantine tank to medicate. Should I give him additional time to acclimate to the tank before treatment?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

graveportents posted:

I have a betta with fin rot that I want to move to a quarantine tank to medicate. Should I give him additional time to acclimate to the tank before treatment?

sure, give him like a day

or don't, if you think he doesn't have time. he probably does tho, right?

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes I think it's early stages. It doesn't look to have reached his body yet. I'll try to post some pictures after work.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

:eyepop:

What's the red/pink plant you have in your tank? I really love that whole setup.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

:eyepop:

What's the red/pink plant you have in your tank? I really love that whole setup.

Its a dwarf aquarium lily, its a pretty sweet bulb plant and grows very fast. I got it from this guy: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/live-plants

sadly its sold out atm.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

Its a dwarf aquarium lily, its a pretty sweet bulb plant and grows very fast. I got it from this guy: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/live-plants

sadly its sold out atm.

How do you propagate the bulb plants?

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

I feel bad for making my first post in this excellent thread to shill something, but I got mod permission, so I'm going to do it anyway. I've spent my time in quarantine getting back in to two old hobbies - electronics and fishkeeping.

So, I made a heater controller/temperature /flow monitor thing and I think it came out pretty cool. Here are some pictures:

For some reason, I also decided to make a Kickstarter. Here's a link, if anyone is interested in a new toy or would be willing to help spread the word:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fishyideas/tankbrain

Thanks.

As penance for my sins, here's a picture of my 75 gallon community:

And another of a Spotted Garra:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm moving into my new apartment early tomorrow morning but I'm moving the tank all day Saturday.

One last question: do I have to take all the plants out if I'm leaving the substrate in?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

No leave the plants in but either clingfilm the top of the tank or have a mister to keep the leaves moist. They dry out pretty quickly otherwise. Actually if you pull them out and transport them in a bucket of water or wrapped in moist paper towel that might be okay - the concern is disturbing the substrate too much and releasing wastes etc. Plants in, the roots in theory hold everything together and keep it more stable but if they dry out the leaves can completely die off which you really don't want.

I moved a 15g tank last night, just 2 feet up and 4 feet sideways, but it was probably the most stressful thing ever. When I got it I bought it as a planted shrimp colony and transported it with about 2cm of water in the bottom and shrimp still in. It was heavy but doable, but putting something down is a lot easier than picking it up again. Even with a lot more upper body strength than the first move I had trouble getting a good grip and good leverage and as soon as I lifted it I heard a pop noise which scared the poo poo out of me. I suspect it might have been than I bumped the air pump which was right there on the shelf next to the tank but I couldn't see, so then I had hours of paranoia that I'd split a seam. I've moved the tank from being on a crumbling polystyrene mat to a squishy yoga mat and I am really not sure if it is the right mat for the job. I've got EVA foam somewhere but it's not long enough whereas the yoga mat is, but the way the tank sits it's like the foam is too soft and it's not giving any support at all. I am terrified that I've done a big mistake, like everyone uses white polystyrene, does that mean it really is the best option? Or is it just the way it's "always" been done and there's no real advantage to it over alternatives? With polystyrene it gets compressed over time and crumbly which EVA does not do, but EVA seems more rigid than polystyrene. But maybe that's better than this lovely squishy yoga mat
:negative:
I'm just feeling a bit burned after the number of split/cracked seam tanks with scalloped edge glass is starting to pile up. I've got no spares right now and that's a bad feeling.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How do you propagate the bulb plants?

IDK, I kind of just let it do its own thing. I think it makes more bulbs underground.

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Ok Comboomer posted:

sure, give him like a day

Fin rot seems to be subsiding on its own so I guess it's probably not worth moving him right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

graveportents posted:

Fin rot seems to be subsiding on its own so I guess it's probably not worth moving him right?

eh, if you have good reason to think he's got a flesh eating bacterial infection might not be a bad thing to clean him up and medicate him a smidge, no?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I reckon if a fish gets better by itself with clean water, it's counterproductive to throw meds into the mix. You don't want to pick the wrong one or underdose it and add to the problem of bacterial resistance and you don't want to overdose and wreck your fish's liver making it process medications if it doesn't need them. By all means keep a broad spectrum combo treatment like kanaplex/furan2 or some other thing guaranteed to knock everything on its head if you get a serious outbreak, but for one fish that has started healing already it's not worth the hassle of setting up a hospital tank and stressing that fish out. No tank is sterile anyway, there's all kinds of bacteria everywhere at all times so if a fish's own immunity can handle that, then that's great.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Anyone have experience with Kuhli loaches? One spazzed out yesterday, I found it floating vertically and twitching, but by the time I set up a holding tank it went limp :( Left it in the holding tank over night, as I read sometimes they can look dead and revive, but no.movement whatsoever, and the colour has faded to very pale. I dosed some water stabilizer and did a small water change, and added a active carbon packet into the filter just in case it was contamination or an ammonia spike. It happened about 10 mins after I released some ramshorn snails into the aquarium.

Water tests came back same as always and I doubt it was anything toxic in the water, as we have clams in there and those are hella sensitive (yes we checked, they are all alive and accounted for).

Could it have choked on some sand or something? Other 7 loaches seems mostly normal, except I noticed one has a pale spot, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter on its side. Almost looks the same as the color of the dead one? Stripes still visible in the area, just faded out.

Added some new almond leaves as a precaution, as I read those are good help for certain types of diseases.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.
So today I started my first aquarium and I'm kinda excited and also looking for some advice!

It's a 54 L / 14ga tank so it's rather small but it's enough for me now. Tomorrow I will plant rest of the flora and wait until the system is biologically active, should take about two / three weeks right?

I want to breed fish appropriate for this volume, I don't want my tank to get crowded too much and I'm wondering which species would be best? Can anyone give my any advice?

I am thinking about some guppies + variable platyfish or 2 - 3 dwarf gourami and a group of harlequin rasbora. A mix of blue lyretail and bluefin notho also seems to look nice. I'd like to stick to species that reach no more than 6 cm / 2.5 in in lenght.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Halborn posted:

So today I started my first aquarium and I'm kinda excited and also looking for some advice!

It's a 54 L / 14ga tank so it's rather small but it's enough for me now. Tomorrow I will plant rest of the flora and wait until the system is biologically active, should take about two / three weeks right?

I want to breed fish appropriate for this volume, I don't want my tank to get crowded too much and I'm wondering which species would be best? Can anyone give my any advice?

I am thinking about some guppies + variable platyfish or 2 - 3 dwarf gourami and a group of harlequin rasbora. A mix of blue lyretail and bluefin notho also seems to look nice. I'd like to stick to species that reach no more than 6 cm / 2.5 in in lenght.

Looks really good!

I can't speak to fish stuff at all but for cycling the tank you should pick up some aquarium-grade ammonia. The idea is you add a certain amount daily and after a week or so start testing the water for ammonia the next day to see if it's been used up. The tank is cycled when you've added ammonia to about 3-4ppm and the next day no ammonia is present on the test.

If you just wait you'll end up with the beneficial bacteria too but it takes longer.

It looks like we have the same filter actually, the cobalt Clearvue although yours is branded differently.

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.

VelociBacon posted:

Looks really good!

I can't speak to fish stuff at all but for cycling the tank you should pick up some aquarium-grade ammonia. The idea is you add a certain amount daily and after a week or so start testing the water for ammonia the next day to see if it's been used up. The tank is cycled when you've added ammonia to about 3-4ppm and the next day no ammonia is present on the test.

If you just wait you'll end up with the beneficial bacteria too but it takes longer.

It looks like we have the same filter actually, the cobalt Clearvue although yours is branded differently.

Thank you kindly! So the idea is that when ammonia is being used up it's an indication that the tank is colonized by the essential bacteria right? I know that most shops offer liquid colonies and adding a dose from the start helps in developing the environment.
As for the filter it does look the same indeed, maybe my was produced off Clearvue license or something like that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Halborn posted:

Thank you kindly! So the idea is that when ammonia is being used up it's an indication that the tank is colonized by the essential bacteria right? I know that most shops offer liquid colonies and adding a dose from the start helps in developing the environment.
As for the filter it does look the same indeed, maybe my was produced off Clearvue license or something like that?

Yeah that's right. The danger with adding livestock to an uncycled tank is that the ammonia they generate stays in the water column and is bad for them. The liquid colony stuff is decent and might help speed it up.

e: Your heater might want to be fully underwater, not sure. There might be a marking on it for how much needs to be underwater but IMO it makes sense to push it down a bit to make sure it's covered enough.

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

e: Your heater might want to be fully underwater, not sure. There might be a marking on it for how much needs to be underwater but IMO it makes sense to push it down a bit to make sure it's covered enough.
Yep you are right, I checked the instruction and it says the heater needs to be fully submerged. I have corrected this error, thanks!

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Ok Comboomer posted:

eh, if you have good reason to think he's got a flesh eating bacterial infection might not be a bad thing to clean him up and medicate him a smidge, no?

Sounds reasonable. I'm just curious if it's worth it to stress him out if it's healing on its own, but if that's still the best course of action I'll take it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You could do dwarf corydoras in that tank, they swim in the water column rather than sifting sand so it wouldn't matter that you have gravel not sand. Sparkling gourami could work too, they like a well planted tank. With spawning caves you could breed peacock gudgeons, a couple of pairs would fit but you'd need a second tank or a breeder box (I'd recommend air driven hang on boxes over internal ones) to raise any fry as they are small and slow growing. You could keep espei rasboras but they seem to like broad leafed plants to lay their eggs on the underside. To be honest since you've mentioned you want to breed fish you might want to look at sponge filters as they are fry safe compared to internal filters - a lot of the measures you can use to fry proof a filter also cause it to clog up fairly quickly but that's fine too if you are willing to do regular maintenance. I'd avoid livebearers unless you can get some fancy endlers that are in demand enough that you can sell your surplus back to the store. Other things you could keep potentially: dwarf crayfish or cherry shrimp. A single pair of dwarf cichlids? Apistos, Bolivian rams, laetacara? I don't know if this is feasible but it's something to research. Pseudomugils but they are jumpy surface dwellers, medaka/rice fish, clown killifish or normans lamp eye killifish? I think those are all the smallest fish I can think of, hopefully that gives you some ideas of things to research. Probably pretty important to get a water hardness testing kit (gH and kh) and a way to test pH so that you know what kind of water you have as generally this has an impact for fish breeding, I believe the hardness can affect the ability for some species to fertilise their eggs effectively. Another thing worth doing for breeding fish is finding a source of live food, for example I breed grindal worms which suits many of the fish I keep and breed. Match your water parameters and dietary requirements to the fish you're intending to breed as they need to be in good condition to make good quality eggs and such. Specific fish have triggers to get them to breed too, corydoras like soft cold water that simulates rain, whereas the rainbowfish I'm currently breeding need warmer water and a long daylight period to simulate the warm season. The more research you do up front the easier it will be to get good results, and you've got plenty of time to do that while you're waiting for your tank to "cycle", that is, for your filter to develop sufficient bacteria to biologically process the wastes of a population of fish via the nitrogen cycle.

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

Stoca Zola posted:

You could do dwarf corydoras in that tank, they swim in the water column rather than sifting sand so it wouldn't matter that you have gravel not sand. Sparkling gourami could work too, they like a well planted tank. With spawning caves you could breed peacock gudgeons, a couple of pairs would fit but you'd need a second tank or a breeder box (I'd recommend air driven hang on boxes over internal ones) to raise any fry as they are small and slow growing. You could keep espei rasboras but they seem to like broad leafed plants to lay their eggs on the underside. To be honest since you've mentioned you want to breed fish you might want to look at sponge filters as they are fry safe compared to internal filters - a lot of the measures you can use to fry proof a filter also cause it to clog up fairly quickly but that's fine too if you are willing to do regular maintenance. I'd avoid livebearers unless you can get some fancy endlers that are in demand enough that you can sell your surplus back to the store. Other things you could keep potentially: dwarf crayfish or cherry shrimp. A single pair of dwarf cichlids? Apistos, Bolivian rams, laetacara? I don't know if this is feasible but it's something to research. Pseudomugils but they are jumpy surface dwellers, medaka/rice fish, clown killifish or normans lamp eye killifish? I think those are all the smallest fish I can think of, hopefully that gives you some ideas of things to research. Probably pretty important to get a water hardness testing kit (gH and kh) and a way to test pH so that you know what kind of water you have as generally this has an impact for fish breeding, I believe the hardness can affect the ability for some species to fertilise their eggs effectively. Another thing worth doing for breeding fish is finding a source of live food, for example I breed grindal worms which suits many of the fish I keep and breed. Match your water parameters and dietary requirements to the fish you're intending to breed as they need to be in good condition to make good quality eggs and such. Specific fish have triggers to get them to breed too, corydoras like soft cold water that simulates rain, whereas the rainbowfish I'm currently breeding need warmer water and a long daylight period to simulate the warm season. The more research you do up front the easier it will be to get good results, and you've got plenty of time to do that while you're waiting for your tank to "cycle", that is, for your filter to develop sufficient bacteria to biologically process the wastes of a population of fish via the nitrogen cycle.

Thank you for such generous advice and for pointing me in the right direction. Forgive me my language mistake (I'm not native) with use of the "breeding" word, what I meant is just to keep the fish, not necessarily actively see them reproduce. Anyway I've got some reading to do now since I've got so much info from you. It's painfully obvious now that I made a very embarrassing mistake by creating certain natural conditions in my tank without deciding which species I'd like to keep first. When in reality I should do the other way around. Of course the most important thing to me is the well-being of the fish I'll take care of so water column species like you suggested are best option. Gravel is not suitable for bottom feeding fish so I won't insist on those. Off to do some research then, thanks for not chasing me away like the ignorant I am, I will learn!

Halborn fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 13, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Halborn posted:

Thank you for such generous advice and for pointing me in the right direction. Forgive me my language mistake (I'm not native) with use of the "breeding" word, what I meant is just to keep the fish, not necessarily actively see them reproduce. Anyway I've got some reading to do now since I've got so much info from you. It's painfully obvious now that I made a very embarrassing mistake by creating certain natural conditions in my tank without deciding which species I'd like to keep first. When in reality I should do the other way around. Of course the most important thing to me is the well-being of the fish I'll take care of so water column species like you suggested are best option. Gravel is not suitable for bottom feeding fish so I won't insist on those. Off to do some research then, thanks for not chasing me away like the ignorant I am, I will learn!

With the exception of the substrate I don't think you've done this really, it's better to create an environment that appeals to you and that you'll find easy to maintain and then find which livestock work for that environment.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much all of us started out as fools when it comes to aquariums; my first ever aquarium to use a term super loosely was a three gallon plastic container I was given by my boss when I worked at petsmart. The only reason I think any of the animals, which included a betta fish, dwarf frog, red clawed crab, and a crayfish or two, survive for more than a week was because I got them all in the winter and there was no heater on this little poor excuse of a tank, so they were all too cold and lethargic to do anything. Thankfully since then I've learned a lot!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

N17R4M posted:

Anyone have experience with Kuhli loaches? One spazzed out yesterday, I found it floating vertically and twitching, but by the time I set up a holding tank it went limp :( Left it in the holding tank over night, as I read sometimes they can look dead and revive, but no.movement whatsoever, and the colour has faded to very pale. I dosed some water stabilizer and did a small water change, and added a active carbon packet into the filter just in case it was contamination or an ammonia spike. It happened about 10 mins after I released some ramshorn snails into the aquarium.

Water tests came back same as always and I doubt it was anything toxic in the water, as we have clams in there and those are hella sensitive (yes we checked, they are all alive and accounted for).

Could it have choked on some sand or something? Other 7 loaches seems mostly normal, except I noticed one has a pale spot, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter on its side. Almost looks the same as the color of the dead one? Stripes still visible in the area, just faded out.

Added some new almond leaves as a precaution, as I read those are good help for certain types of diseases.

Any advice would be appreciated.

How long has the tank been set up, and how long have you had the kuhlis?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

How long does it take ph up to work in a 25 gal tank? I just want to know when I can test the ph levels again.

Also is the recommended level of ph rise in a 24 hr period around .2?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Halborn posted:

It's painfully obvious now that I made a very embarrassing mistake by creating certain natural conditions in my tank without deciding which species I'd like to keep first. When in reality I should do the other way around.

No don't worry about it! It's an easier and less stressful approach for a beginner with no specialist gear to just measure the water you have and find fish that match - there are almost certainly suitable and readily available fish for you to keep no matter what you measure. And then if you really get into the hobby and want to try different fish that don't match your conditions there are reverse osmosis devices you can run your tap water through to take minerals out, or gH and kH boosters you can buy to put minerals back in (but it makes keeping fish a bit more complicated). On the whole fish have been "domesticated" and kept in water that doesn't match their home environments for long enough now that the fish we can buy are adaptable up to a point but they do live longer happier lives if you match them to what they were evolved to live in.

You can tell a lot about fish by the region they come from, for example Central American fish (usually livebearers), many African fish and certain Rainbowfish prefer harder water because they come from hard water that has a lot of dissolved minerals in it, whereas South American and SE Asian fish often come from rivers that have much softer (less minerals) water. Fish that naturally come from river mouths can often handle both fresh and brackish water and are adaptable but aquarium plants really don't like brackish water. A website I use to help research fish is seriouslyfish.com and then to test ideas and stocking levels I use aqadvisor.com and there are plenty of other websites with fish profiles and care information.

I think fishkeeping is a great hobby but starting out is the hardest part - new fish are often stressed and can get sick, new filters often don't have enough beneficial bacteria yet, new fishkeepers often don't know not to feed too much food or realise how many fish can fit in a tank or how big they grow after you buy them and it can all go wrong very quickly when you don't have the experience yet to know what is happening. I do like trying to help smooth out that starting experience if I can.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

AQ is a bit flakey, so if you don't see it, try another time or another browser.

I love my rams and gobies to bits. The green rasboras are so goofy. I'm debating keeping it as is or getting some rainbow fishes (The smaller ones).

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was sent a bunch of Daintree valisneria along with a return shipping paid box by the rainbowfish guy so I can send him back some eggy spawning mops. He already sent me spawning mops (I think he might have forgotten!) and this time sent me some more so I'm going to load up all the mops and send back 2 boxes worth - he's sent me easily $30 worth of plants just so the box wasn't coming here empty so I am happy to pay for shipping to get the second box back to him. Anyway I spent hours last night planting every empty spot in my community tank with this Valisneria and the fish (the barbs) were so excited that they started spawning like mad. The distinguishing feature of this type of valisneria is that it reaches the top of the water level then apparently stops growing, instead of turning into a 10 foot long nightmare like other Val I've grown in the past. I had wanted crypt balansae to fill out those parts of my tank but it's barely surviving and not thriving so hopefully this heavy planting of Val will do the job instead. Even my jumpy rasboras love it, the corys are weaving between the plants, the single remaining oto perching on the vertical leaves.

Reminds me, I did find the missing oto eventually, stuck to the weir of my filter inlet. I was 75% sure he was dead as I tried untangling the algae from his face but every now and then it felt like he twitched weakly in my fingers, or that could have just been the way his interlocking plates in his body moved. They really are tough little fish in the sense that their fins are hard sharp spines and their bodies are armoured to the very tail. But I couldn't see any sign of recovery after I'd completely freed him and sat him in flowing water for a while so in the end I put him in some clove oil just to make sure he was really gone before disposing of the poor thing. It looks like he'd tried eating some of the brown algae in my tank or accidentally got it around his head and some of it went in his mouth in the process of trying to escape it. I've almost gotten rid of this algae menace, there are only a few scraps of it left, but almost all of the soft green algae that the otos used to graze in is also gone so he might have been trying to feed from it out of desperation. I feel pretty bad about the whole oto keeping affair and I won't keep them again, kind of wish we could get panda garras here or some other fish that fits the role without being such specialist feeders.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Forgot to post my tank

Only registered members can see post attachments!

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Cowslips Warren posted:

How long has the tank been set up, and how long have you had the kuhlis?

Tank is going for 7 weeks, Kuhlis went in 4 weeks ago. Shrimp went in about a week before that? Filter medium was transplanted from an established tank, as well as bacteria being dosed in. Ammonia test comes in at 0. Nitrite comes in at 0 as well, with Nitrates coming in at about 15ppm. PH is 6.8 (a little high for them, I know.)

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Stoca Zola posted:

Forgot to post my tank

Absolutely gorgeous!

All of my tanks are full to the brim with Jungle Val, I had no clue there was a kind that stopped growing when it hit the top of the tank so I definitely need to look into that instead!

I love Vals, but hate that you either have to let it take over the top of the tank or trim it at the very bottom at the root of else the whole stalk slowly dies. I'm 99% sure that error in maintenance is what's contributed to my huge population of bladder and Ramshorn snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Rythe posted:

How long does it take ph up to work in a 25 gal tank? I just want to know when I can test the ph levels again.

Also is the recommended level of ph rise in a 24 hr period around .2?

I'm not super experienced with chasing pH, but what are you upping it for? I keep seeing more knowledgeable people say not to chase pH, but I'm sure there are circumstances (breeding, sensitive fish) where you have to.