Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

stev posted:

They should've been nicer to the sealion tbf.

they were in fact enormously racist to it in basically any sensible read lmao

e: this is definitely the kind of thing i need explained when i make metaphors

The Author, Needing To Explain Himself posted:

which, if the metaphor is understood, is read as actually an objection to human beings who exhibit certain behaviors — is not analogous to a prejudice based on race

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

That original comic was fine but I'd be happy to rename it pissflapping. Sea lions are noble animals

I've been to San Francisco. Trust me when I say that they're only 'noble' in the British aristocracy sense.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I was Sealioned in a pub once just by a random guy, why are people?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Olpainless posted:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone-is appreciated. She was made comfortable in the end though.

It's all just swirling and although we kind of pre-mourned, knowing it was coming, it's still just a numbness there. The worst thing is when that feeling isn't there for a minute and then feeling guilty that i should be numb.

Feelings are what they are, you're not responsible for them happening to you, so don't feel guilty

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

JollyBoyJohn posted:

TIL about Sealioning

TIL what TIL was.

I had to re-google sealioning as well though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Maskless crowds lining the streets for the Tottenham game in crosby. Good good.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maskless crowds lining the streets for the Tottenham game in crosby. Good good.

Mad, isn't it?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol that's random, Steve "Shagger" Norris, former Tory candidate for London Mayor, has just retweeted a tweet of mine from last week and I've literally no idea how he could have ever seen it.

Your tweet was a QT of the Venezuelan statement taking the piss out of the US for the coup attempt. He likely looked at that tweet, looked at the QTs from it and saw yours.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

XMNN posted:

is there any pledge he hasn't already turned back on?

demonstrating that you will quickly break any promises even before you get into power is presumably agreat way to get people to vote for you

Dropping something that you've previously promised isn't underhand and deceitful, so long as you use the magic words: "not realistic", which turn actions like these into something sensible, grown-up and rather admirable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Keir was against free movement before he was pro second ref even so its not surprising

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Not sticking to past promises is good though because it also means the current promises don't need to be stuck to either.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Communist Thoughts posted:

Keir was against free movement before he was pro second ref even so its not surprising

He's basically the minister for the opposition at this point.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

I've been to San Francisco. Trust me when I say that they're only 'noble' in the British aristocracy sense.

Which is the best pinniped? I'm going with bearded seals.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Excited by the crabeater seal but its all lies.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

big scary monsters posted:

Weddell

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CoolCab posted:

they were in fact enormously racist to it in basically any sensible read lmao

e: this is definitely the kind of thing i need explained when i make metaphors

the original sealion comic was about gamergaters, not a general pattern of behaviour anywhere else

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Fool me logged back into twitter for the first time in ages.
I get the impression that "they" will try and assassinate Biden on 20th.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dabir posted:

the original sealion comic was about gamergaters, not a general pattern of behaviour anywhere else

no i understand the intent completely, it's just - when you frame such an argument you have to be very careful because you could apply that original comic to a lot

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/09/school-guidance-for-children-of-key-workers-changes-again

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pupils-to-sit-mini-summer-exams-marked-by-their-own-teachers-vml307tqg

2 doses of school related bullshit.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
The irony is that that system is probably a much better indication of true ability than the current normal system, but it is different enough that means it will be useless to compare it with previous years.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Fool me logged back into twitter for the first time in ages.
I get the impression that "they" will try and assassinate Biden on 20th.

I understand why you'd be concerned, but the far right completely overplayed their hand on Wednesday and that makes this very unlikely. The first reason is that the entire security apparatus has been embarrassed, and (as much as they without interference from Trump and their lackeys) will be doing everything to avoid it happening again. I appreciate that's putting a lot of faith in cops, but cops hate looking bad.

The second reason is that Biden is now fully aware of what the fascists in his country are capable of, and will demand that the secret service do everything to protect him. It was already going to be a cut-down ceremony, it's going to be even tighter now.

The final reason is that Twitter and Facebook have finally stepped up and done something about the fascists organising terrorism on their platforms. Getting rid of the big players (or them getting arrested) is huge. There's going to be a split amongst the Qanon nutters now about who to follow, on what platform, how to even download the apps etc. Do you imagine the type of people we saw at the riot would be capable of knowing how to sideload an app without guidance from someone? Taking away their organisational capacity essentially shuts down any chance of a repeat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Consider for a moment who you're asking that question of.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EvilHawk posted:

I understand why you'd be concerned, but the far right completely overplayed their hand on Wednesday and that makes this very unlikely. The first reason is that the entire security apparatus has been embarrassed, and (as much as they without interference from Trump and their lackeys) will be doing everything to avoid it happening again. I appreciate that's putting a lot of faith in cops, but cops hate looking bad.

The second reason is that Biden is now fully aware of what the fascists in his country are capable of, and will demand that the secret service do everything to protect him. It was already going to be a cut-down ceremony, it's going to be even tighter now.

The final reason is that Twitter and Facebook have finally stepped up and done something about the fascists organising terrorism on their platforms. Getting rid of the big players (or them getting arrested) is huge. There's going to be a split amongst the Qanon nutters now about who to follow, on what platform, how to even download the apps etc. Do you imagine the type of people we saw at the riot would be capable of knowing how to sideload an app without guidance from someone? Taking away their organisational capacity essentially shuts down any chance of a repeat.

I hope you're right!
I've seen parler (or someone) is making the parler app available as an .apk file.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

manatees

yes I know they're not pinnipeds but I don't care

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely download random .apk files off dodgy websites onto your phone, nothing bad ever happens from doing that :v:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I hope you're right!
I've seen parler (or someone) is making the parler app available as an .apk file.

There'll no doubt be people who can sideload parler (or whatever they move to, I saw parler might be gone soon anyway), but I can't imagine people living in bumfuck Tennessee (or, indeed, surburban housewives from Texas) are going to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Excited for 2021 to bring back limewire except for racism.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

Consider for a moment who you're asking that question of.

Walruses do seem cool but I've never met one so I'm postponing judgement for now.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

OwlFancier posted:

Definitely download random .apk files off dodgy websites onto your phone, nothing bad ever happens from doing that :v:
It's off the official Parler website.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ewan posted:

It's off the official Parler website.

My comment stands :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Amazon kicked Parler off AWS, downloading an .apk isn't going to do poo poo until they get up and running somewhere else

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I hope you're right!

Parler is being taken down off Amazon's hosting, that's gonna cause them some issues.

e: fb

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My smart phone bought in Cairo is full of .apk files that were pre-installed - so many were just not available from the google app store when I lived in Egypt.
Never used most of them though - just Angry Birds and maybe a couple of others. Can't quite bring myself to zap them even though I keep getting short of space messages despite having a 32GB micro sd in there. (I don't really get why the stupid phone keeps running out of space when I have moved as many apps as possible to store data on that card. Sad fact of android phone is the google bloatware I could do with getting rid of)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Amazon kicked Parler off AWS, downloading an .apk isn't going to do poo poo until they get up and running somewhere else

I missed that bit.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I missed that bit.

Parler are funded by the Mercers of Cambridge Analytica infamy, they will sort something out eventually, but they have a lost a lot of momentum going into the inauguration.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnVFaNQ4-1Q

It's Sammy, because she somehow managed to hit the seal jackpot, Billingsgate Market. They captured her and took her out to the North Sea (there was concern about the construction work in the docks being dangerous for her) and she was back within six weeks, possibly some of which was spent being laughed at by other seals for claiming that - 50 miles inland and behind 4 massive gates - there was a place with more fish than any seal has ever seen, which you didn't even have to hunt because these weird land-monkeys would throw them to you. Or maybe the other seals were busy telling her she was actually the problem with all seal society for living in London.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Parler is being taken down off Amazon's hosting, that's gonna cause them some issues.

e: fb
I kind of want to see how crazy glinner is going over losing his 2nd hate speech platform.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The Daily Stormer has been repeatedly kicked from host after host and now exists on TOR. Driving up the barriers to entry to this level does attenuate their voice even though it's not possible to silence completely. Simultaneously showing that cancelling is a myth and that technology companies can prioritise the greater good over advertising revenue, if sufficiently terrified by the prospect of regulation.

Edit- mentioning this because this is likely to be the trajectory of Parler, if that wasn't clear.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of want to see how crazy glinner is going over losing his 2nd hate speech platform.

sorry, you can't, he doesn't have any platforms any more

and nothing of value was lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Banning people who incite violence that results in deaths is an editorial decision, says hat mancock.
You'd think the health secretary would have other things to concentrate on right now.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1348282944742424580?s=20