Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

Paging Fart of Presto!

Pixel Puzzles Ultimate Cyberpunk .... ohhh I love this image set and I shouldn't get more DLC from this game until I finish at least the monthly puzzle but ohhhhh
YESSSSSS!

I'm down to one variety pack and the new free one, as I haven't been buying new packs for quite a while.
This one definitely goes to my wish list.
Bought it...

Thanks for the heads up :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there more than just the prologue? I went to buy it on steam but there’s no purchase option.

I think, at least for pre-release demos, a lot of devs have moved to making a separate free "Prologue" listing for the game instead of using the built-in demo feature. It's a little confusing but makes sense from a discoverability standpoint because it gives you game a chance to feature on "New and trending" with a sexy "Free" pricetag next to it, and also gives people the opportunity to write reviews, etc. Otherwise the best you could hope for is getting on the "Popular upcoming" list, with no indication your game has a playable demo until someone clicks on it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's a good way to game visibility on the steam storefront, just having a demo on your main game's page right away just means your game stats buries until it comes out. Releasing your demo as a free "Prologue" lets you double dip on visibility with a single release.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ugh..... I want to mod a Steam game which doesn't like games being in 'program files (x86)' but Steam isn't capable of having multiple installation directories on the same drive (different drives are easy, same drive gets you an error).

'No big deal' I thought, 'I'll just move my games to a new directory which I should have done from the beginning.'.

Well, Steam doesn't even have a tool to do that. Instead they recommend a tedious process of backing up your entire steamapps, moving it, and then verifying each game individually and crossing your fingers that everything will work.

So in summary, you can have multiple libraries on different drives but not multiple on the same drive for reasons.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Video game essays are good. It's not really something I watch to decide whether to buy a game, though, because most of them obviously spoil absolutely everything that happens in the game.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ugh..... I want to mod a Steam game which doesn't like games being in 'program files (x86)' but Steam isn't capable of having multiple installation directories on the same drive (different drives are easy, same drive gets you an error).

'No big deal' I thought, 'I'll just move my games to a new directory which I should have done from the beginning.'.

Well, Steam doesn't even have a tool to do that. Instead they recommend a tedious process of backing up your entire steamapps, moving it, and then verifying each game individually and crossing your fingers that everything will work.

So in summary, you can have multiple libraries on different drives but not multiple on the same drive for reasons.

I think you can edit install.vdf to allow multiple steam libraries on the same drive, but don't quote me on that.

E: a quick Google suggests it might be libraryfolders.vdf instead.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 10, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm currently playing through Iron Danger (which is 75% off and has a demo that shows off the basic game process).

It's very engaging, and I heavily struggle with "just one more level" syndrome (which is pretty neat - I'm currently outright slogging my way through several games just because I'm stubborn about finishing them). Important to emphasize because (as usual) I'm probably going to bitch about more or less petty details quite a bit.

A lot of reviews refer to it as "turning save-scumming into a mechanic" and it kinda is, but not in the Hotline Miami or Superhot "retry until you succeed" sense.

It's a fairly basic isometric action-rpg, one where just hammering "attack" will have the enemies maneuver around you and tear you apart in an instant. To avoid that, you have a time rewind ability (only up to 14 seconds "heartbeats" but unlimited otherwise). Now you can block, dodge, interrupt with a quick attack, move out of the way in response to the attack you know is coming and otherwise annihilate your enemies (though they aren't set in their actions after the first rewind and will adjust their behavior to your actions).

If you're a deeply stupid person, you might play the demo watch someone play the first stage and confidently assume that the entire game is going just that, because that makes sense.

Except of course, things get way more complex. You get to burn, freeze and poison enemies and environments. Topple trees, log piles and pillars, place bear traps, mines and fuel canisters as traps, grow vegetation to conduct fire, enrage enemies into attacking each other (for literally 5 seconds until upgraded) lure giant trolls and roosterfish to massacre enemy giant mechs... at this point you're basically playing an proper puzzle-action-rpg where the time rewind mechanic is only occasionally used to correct fuckups (and to compensate for the fact that the game intentionally doesn't bother to telegraph random poo poo).

It's pretty addictive, but the ambition on display (a full AA RPG) for the first game (?) the studio ever made is possibly a bit too much. Here's a list of nitpicks to illustrate:

No sidequests, no dialog trees, practically no NPCs. Fair enough, it's an action-rpg, not Bioware.

Many of the levels are basically the same - land somewhere on your boat, fight your way to the temple doors, navigate the temple (solving a puzzle at either \ both stages), receive a new set of powers, fight your way back to your boat across the same level (each part is bite-sized, 10 minutes without trance, 30-40 with, so an hour or two per "level"). Well, yeah, but the locations are fairly differentiated, each temple is unique and... well, you actually do fight the same enemies both ways more often than not...

Other stuff padding out the game to 15-20 hours - Four different sections where you have to walk and talk through a town. Walk, not run.

You only ever control 2 NPCs (the protagonist and 1 of three companions), while the other two wait on the airship. And you don't even get to choose the companion.

No friendly AI NPCs helping in combat (annoying, because I know the game can do that) and very little three-way fights unless you go out of your way to instigate them. The enemy soldiers get along perfectly well with most monsters.

No gear, no skill trees, one new set of skills for the protagonist per temple, one skill upgrade for the protagonist or a companion per level. Only item pickups are consumables. (Which, fair enough, that's the design).

No new game + (which is a shame). No replay function at the end of the fight (a-la Superhot) and no level editor (!) which could have been a lot of fun.

The camera is really a freaking nightmare. There's no set point of reference - it hovers vaguely above the characters and you have a huge chore getting a proper "eye in the sky" view of the whole battlefield or investigating the enemy locations just a few steps away from the characters noses. Whenever a tiny enemy is fighting a giant automaton you control and blunders right into it, the automaton's hitbox covers the enemy and you can't attack it (oh, and there's no "just keep attacking" option)

Area of effect spell cones "helpfully" keep jumping to focus on the nearest enemy in a way that will get you blown up as you try desperately to target a cluster of other enemies and carefully assembled traps (actually really hard to overcome).

Characters often just outright refuse to pick up consumables (even though they have free space)

Annoying little breaks in *my immersion*. Oh, apparently the automatons guarding the temples are only hostile to the player, and outright don't react if you lure enemies towards them? What happens if you try to kill the giant boss you're supposed to run from but can still damage? He just stops taking damage at a certain point. Hooray.

You heal the big giant monster and its friendly to you now. Does it attack enemies kited to it? Does it bubkis.

The story is kinda basic and lacking even in seemingly obligatory twists. It has a straightforward non-US sensibility, but I'm not sure that really helps that much.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 11, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you have a minute to vote for my friend's team?

Paypal me 5 bucks first, then sure, no problem

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

indivisible's two biggest flaws are: #1) the things that people are critical about avatar korra (which are wrong dont @ me), they're actually true about this protag Anja. and so she has likeable aspects of being hotheaded and dumb, but without any of the growth. again don't @ me about korra i do not care. #2) the game has a lot of technical demanding platforming, but the engine can't keep up with it. the camera has trouble keeping up with the player, and the axe-in-wall and spear-in-ceiling mechanics don't always 'stick' resulting in frustrating whiffs.

the mountain sections of the game are like if indivisible saw the vertical climb secret part of Guacamelee and said "what if we did that twice in the same game"

i still enjoyed it because i like challenging platforming, but the engine felt made for one thing and not another and it had some real jankiness because of it. also the hundreds of unimportant, clearly kickstarter backer NPCs are so silly. they all spout lines that are like people's little tumblr OCs.

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
Anyone know who hachida is on the forums?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
The account stealing never ends.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just want to give a shout-out to the three dozen goons on my friendslist who don't have any friends to vote for.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

the things that people are critical about avatar korra (which are wrong dont @ me), they're actually true about this protag Anja. and so she has likeable aspects of being hotheaded and dumb, but without any of the growth. again don't @ me about korra i do not care.

... gently caress, you're right

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I just want to give a shout-out to the three dozen goons on my friendslist who don't have any friends to vote for.

I think it's very kind of these goons to vote for these peoples teams. Stupid, but very nice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jamfrost posted:

A goon and his steambux are easily parted.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jamfrost posted:

How are those accounts even being stolen? People without 2FA? Or can it be bypassed somehow?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ambaire posted:

How are those accounts even being stolen? People without 2FA? Or can it be bypassed somehow?

The link has a fake steam log-in page, including the 2FA code. They just take it and use it to log into your account.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ambaire posted:

People logging in to a bogus site and supplying their Steam Guard codes, which get used by the attackers ASAP.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The 7th Guest posted:

indivisible's two biggest flaws are: #1) the things that people are critical about avatar korra (which are wrong dont @ me), they're actually true about this protag Anja. and so she has likeable aspects of being hotheaded and dumb, but without any of the growth. again don't @ me about korra i do not care. #2) the game has a lot of technical demanding platforming, but the engine can't keep up with it. the camera has trouble keeping up with the player, and the axe-in-wall and spear-in-ceiling mechanics don't always 'stick' resulting in frustrating whiffs.

the mountain sections of the game are like if indivisible saw the vertical climb secret part of Guacamelee and said "what if we did that twice in the same game"

i still enjoyed it because i like challenging platforming, but the engine felt made for one thing and not another and it had some real jankiness because of it. also the hundreds of unimportant, clearly kickstarter backer NPCs are so silly. they all spout lines that are like people's little tumblr OCs.

#3) Combat seems interesting at first, but turns out to be simple and boring.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The easiest and most reliable method of bypassing any kind of account security or authentication method is and will always be to talk someone into just giving it to you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh for gently caress's sake

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008
got me beat to the punch ^
and just had Tarquinn ask about voting for friends

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
How the gently caress did I get beaten on something like this? Well, it's cool to see that apparently they contact everyone on the friends list at once.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, at least he's active on the forums, so he should be able to see the PM I just sent him.

We really need the mods to change the thread title at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steam Thread: my friends team need a little bit more votes to qualify on tournament could you vote pls

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually see Tarquin around too

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, he posts in this thread every so often even, doesn't he?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my friends thread need a little bit more 5s to qualify on goldmine can you vote pls?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m wondering if there is some other vulnerability that they’re using on top of social engineering, the scam is pretty well known at this point.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's just social engineering, and not even good social engineering. The site isn't bad but the URL makes it fairly clear that it's not legit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m wondering if there is some other vulnerability that they’re using on top of social engineering, the scam is pretty well known at this point.

The general public is incredibly stupid.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The nice thing about social engineering is that unlike computers, people never get any security upgrades or have their vulnerabilities patched out. You don't really need to be good at it when enough of your marks are figuratively still running on an unpatched Windows 95. You just need to hit a lot of them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And goons are usually up for helping other goons, so one scammer nabbing one goon is gonna spread like, uh

Wildfire, yeah, that's a good analogy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

The nice thing about social engineering is that unlike computers, people never get any security upgrades or have their vulnerabilities patched out. You don't really need to be good at it when enough of your marks are figuratively still running on an unpatched Windows 95. You just need to hit a lot of them.

Speaking of, I wish to god Windows 7 would explode the computers of anyone still using it

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Xarbala posted:

...the format of the video essay as a whole, which I pounced on as a roundabout lead-in to complain at length about Tom Hooper and the Cats movie in the steam thread.

Because that movie is a travesty on even more levels than people realize, and people already know it's godawful.

Hey, I enjoyed the time I spent learning about the Cats movie this evening, so thank you. My takeaway is hoo boy is Tom Hooper tremendously unqualified to make a movie that's all singing and dancing, but I'll watch the butthole cut if it ever gets leaked (I did some extra research).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This is important so lets clear this up right now: are you implying there's a cut where all the cats have human/house cat hybrid buttholes showing?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/cats-butthole-cut-vfx-editor

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tom Hooper is tremendously unqualified to make a movie.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

“When we were looking at the playbacks, we were like, ‘What the hell? You guys see that?!’” the source told the outlet. “We paused it. We went to call our supervisor, and we’re like, ‘There’s a loving rear end in a top hat in there! There’s buttholes!’ It wasn’t prominent but you saw it…And you [were] just like, ‘What the hell is that?... There’s a loving butthole in there.’ It wasn’t in your face—but at the same time, too, if you’re looking, you’ll see it.”

The source’s remarks mirror earlier comments from an anonymous Cats crew member, who told writer Ben Mekler that the “butthole” cut was an unintentional byproduct of the film’s unique visual effects. The film’s initial VFX process, the crew member said, made the cats of Cats look like their skin and fur had been “groomed or just folded in a way that really REALLY looked like very furry lady genitals and buttholes by accident.” In the Daily Beast interview, the source noted that the job of editing out all of the buttholes was ultimately left to one crew member who was hired specifically to excise unintended buttholes.
On the one hand, it's kind of understandable that people would just kind of panic when something like this suddenly shows up on film and nobody actually meant for it to be there, so it's just completely inexplicable and nobody knows what to do. Hilarious and I kind of want to see what Cats: Nudist Edition would have looked like in motion.

On the other hand? God help those people if they should ever have the misfortune to encounter an actual cat, because pants?

Cats kinda just don't do those. At all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally beat Yakuza 7.

Jesus gently caress what an insane final act.

That had to be the most inappropriate end credit music ever.