Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Matt hancock has his own app, he is very qualified to speak about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm sure Facebook and Twitter are terrified of being subject to our legendarily strict newspaper regulations.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

A shame Menshn is no longer around, this could have been their moment hoho

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tarnop posted:

I'm sure Facebook and Twitter are terrified of being subject to our legendarily strict newspaper regulations.

The difference is that some parts of the internet are left wing.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

namesake posted:

The difference is that some parts of the internet are left wing.

Our beloved Private Tech Corporations are apparently the good guys now though, and we're all just so grateful for their wise censorship.

Some parts of the internet are left wing for now mate but just give them a few years, "Not denouncing the Corbyn regime is spreading antisemitism" "Unionised workplaces discriminate against undocumented people" "Mandatory maternity leave hurts women that choose to work" "Gentrification? these black and brown capitalists are ending that slur" If you don't think a potential actual threat to capital interests won't be treated much more harshly than the nazi larpers were then you're just silly. This wierd justification for authoritarianism will gently caress lefties over and the libs will be insufferable false-morality cunts about it too.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh looky here it's time for the

:siren: First General Meeting of the UKMT Solidarity Fund :siren:

The "meeting" will take place both here in the thread and in the #ukmt-solidarity-fund channel of the UKGoons Discord over the next 24 hours.

There are two items on the agenda. In summary, what we need from you is:
- a vote - Aye or Nay on Resolution 1, below;
- your thoughts on how these general meetings should be conducted in the future.

For this one I went with: 1 week's notice; 24 hour duration; thread and Discord both valid venues, but voting must take place in the thread. Is that stupid? You tell me. Preferably after reading the rest of this post.

Item 1: Urgent amendment to the Constitution:

Paradoxically, in order to amend our Constitution in any way, we first need to amend our Constitution. This is because the current wording unintentionally demands a two thirds or simple majority of the entire membership (not just those members who participate in the vote) - a functionally impossible bar to clear, considering the membership requirement is "be a goon who reads the UKMT".

Fortunately we are saved by section 280 of the Charities Act 2011, which says that irrespective of the Constitution we, the trustees, can resolve to change our own powers or the Fund's administrative procedures in the constitution, provided we get a two thirds majority of members voting in favour at a general meeting. Which this is.

We're going with the smallest possible change that fixes the voting issue, as follows:

Resolution 1: The Committee resolves to make the following change to the Constitution:

1) In part 1, section 6(1)(a):
Amend

quote:

The general agreement of two thirds of UKMT members, voting in good faith, is first obtained;
To

quote:

The agreement of not less than two thirds of UKMT members who vote on the amendment at a general meeting, is first obtained;

2) In part 1, section 6(2):
Amend

quote:

[...]any such amendment is made by resolution passed by a simple majority of UKMT members, voting in good faith.
To

quote:

[...]any such amendment is made by resolution passed by over half of UKMT members who vote on the amendment at a general meeting.

We need at least a two thirds majority for this to pass. As required by the Constitution, all voting will take place here in the thread (discussion can still take place in Discord), and voting will be open for the full 24-hour duration of the meeting.

Item 2: Discussion of Procedure for General Meetings

We don't have a formal procedure in the Constitution for holding a general meeting, as I didn't think we really needed one due to our weird online/anonymous nature. However, the Charity Commission will likely disagree, so that's one of the things we'll need to amend before we register with them - which we must do, as our turnover has exceeded the £5000 annual limit for an unregistered charity.

As a starting point, the model constitution provided by the Government has the following, but it probably needs a few changes/additions seeing as our "general meetings" will presumably take place here in the thread and/or in Discord.

model constitution posted:

10. General meetings
(1) The charity must hold a general meeting within twelve months
of the date of the adoption of this constitution.
(2) An annual general meeting must be held in each subsequent
year and not more than fifteen months may elapse between
successive annual general meetings.
(3) All general meetings other than annual general meetings shall
be called special general meetings.
(4) The trustees may call a special general meeting at any time.
(5) The trustees must call a special general meeting if requested
to do so in writing by at least ten members or one tenth of
the membership, which ever is the greater. The request must
state the nature of the business that is to be discussed. If the
trustees fail to hold the meeting within twenty-eight days of
the request, the members may proceed to call a special general
meeting but in doing so they must comply with the provisions
of this constitution.

11. Notice
(1) The minimum period of notice required to hold any general
meeting of the charity is fourteen clear days from the date on
which the notice is deemed to have been given.
(2) A general meeting may be called by shorter notice, if it is so
agreed by all the members entitled to attend and vote.
(3) The notice must specify the date, time and place of the meeting
and the general nature of the business to be transacted. If the
meeting is to be an annual general meeting, the notice must
say so.
(4) The notice must be given to all the members and to
the trustees.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Plinkey has run the cspam goon benevolent fund, patreon and all, for years and receives and hands out not-insignificant sums of money all the time without a Constitution - is there some reason all that business is needed to run one here?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

How do we vote? Just say 'aye' or 'nay' in this thread? Or might you put a poll up with a link to your post?

kecske posted:

Plinkey has run the cspam goon benevolent fund, patreon and all, for years and receives and hands out not-insignificant sums of money all the time without a Constitution - is there some reason all that business is needed to run one here?

Isn't that one US based? Might be different rules over there.

VVV what Ms A said. I think a separate thread would be good.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 11, 2021

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Maugrim posted:

The "meeting" will take place both here in the thread and in the #ukmt-solidarity-fund channel of the UKGoons Discord over the next 24 hours.

There are two items on the agenda. In summary, what we need from you is:
- a vote - Aye or Nay on Resolution 1, below;
- your thoughts on how these general meetings should be conducted in the future.

For this one I went with: 1 week's notice; 24 hour duration; thread and Discord both valid venues, but voting must take place in the thread. Is that stupid? You tell me. Preferably after reading the rest of this post.

I vote Aye on Resolution 1.

What I'm going to say is coming from a place of personal ignorance so it's entirely possible (even probable) these things have already been addressed. That said;

I think that the general ideas behind how to hold a general meeting given the online nature of the charity make sense. It may be worth checking that there is nothing in law about what actually constitutes a 'meeting' or 'annual meeting' or the like - I'm thinking in case there are any odd conditions like "Must be completed on the same date as begun" or the like? (Or worse that there are in fact some kind of regulations that make demands of personal proximity etc though I assume those would have been encountered by this point by the trustees and those aiding them).

I also wonder, and this is more adminstrative-functional than legal, if assuming the mods agree it might be better to create a thread specifically for the UKMTSF which is solely for the business in question. That would have obvious advantages of readability, as well as making it easier to collate relevant discussions in a single location rather than spread across multiple, growing numbers of general UKMT threads. The obvious disadvantage, meanwhile, is that people may be reluctant to go and attend to another thread rather than one they read regularly, and this may risk reducing participation/attendance/etc. That said even if that were done I would suspect the best way to proceed would be to still make a post in the UKMT about upcoming/ongoing matters, and either duplicating monthly reports here or posting a link to them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kecske posted:

Do the live in the UK and do it using a UK bank account? If so they're opening themselves up to some pain if they get audited

I also vote Aye on Resolution 1.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't that one US based? Might be different rules over there.

yeah and also they have something called a 501 3 C which marks them as a charitable nonprofit organisation, which I assume covers the bases and stops the fraud squad knocking on the door

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

they have something called a 501 3 C which marks them as a charitable nonprofit organisation, which I assume covers the bases

Yeah, that's a US thing. This has to comply to UK charity laws because well, it's managed in the UK.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

kecske posted:

I didn't know that existed so I'm not sure how it operates exactly, but I presume Patreon takes a cut of donations/they aren't charitable donations? We're set up as a charity (well, currently an unincorporated association with charitable purpose) and that requires a constitution.

e: aha, fair enough

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Amazon / Parler chat:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/johnpaczkowski/amazon-parler-aws

quote:

Amazon notified Parler that it would be cutting off the social network favored by conservatives and extremists from its cloud hosting service Amazon Web Services, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News. The suspension, which will go into effect on Sunday just before midnight, means that Parler will be unable to operate and will go offline unless it can find another hosting service.

etc etc

Some scary posts shown, also:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 11, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well who could have foreseen this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maugrim posted:

I will Aye on Item 1

I also don't really see any problem with the AGM or any SGM if necessary being "held" in the regular UKMT. Especially if you want to ensure the widest possible participation. But ultimately it's you Maugrim & a handful of others who are doing the hard work so if a separate thread is easier to track votes & discussion or whatever, that's really fine.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I will Aye on Item 1

I also don't really see any problem with the AGM or any SGM if necessary being "held" in the regular UKMT. Especially if you want to ensure the widest possible participation. But ultimately it's you Maugrim & a handful of others who are doing the hard work so if a separate thread is easier to track votes & discussion or whatever, that's really fine.

Agree with all of this

Aye on item 1

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Voting Aye on Item 1

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ms Adequate posted:

I also wonder, and this is more adminstrative-functional than legal, if assuming the mods agree it might be better to create a thread specifically for the UKMTSF which is solely for the business in question. That would have obvious advantages of readability, as well as making it easier to collate relevant discussions in a single location rather than spread across multiple, growing numbers of general UKMT threads. The obvious disadvantage, meanwhile, is that people may be reluctant to go and attend to another thread rather than one they read regularly, and this may risk reducing participation/attendance/etc. That said even if that were done I would suspect the best way to proceed would be to still make a post in the UKMT about upcoming/ongoing matters, and either duplicating monthly reports here or posting a link to them.

Yeah, this has also been suggested internally within the committee. There would need to be a good deal of crossposting, as you say, but it would make a lot of sense. I don't think the lower visibility is necessarily a dealbreaker as long as all meeting announcements etc were posted here with a link to the other thread that people could follow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aye on Item 1

I don't really have a preference between holding meetings in here or somewhere else, I guess if it is a very busy news day or we're having an argument it might be suboptimal but on the other hand it is where more people will see it.

Up to you, really.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Aye on No. 1

I think 'meetings' / discussions would be best in a separate thread.
If we get a 3 day derail like just happened people might just switch off for 3 days and not see posts.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

This is a good thing, it means more fish will be available to are grate BRITISH chippies!!

What do you mean there are other fish besides cod

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah i think i'd prefer it not clogging up the thread if you can move it elsewhere or offsite? that's my preference anyway

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The Judean People's Front voting "aye" on a procedural name change to the People's Front of Judea or crisp flavour debates. Hard to know which is best...

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Aye on item 1.

I'm fine with it in the thread.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Josef bugman posted:

Which piece was that?

I can't be bothered to find the exact one but it was about how the past year wasn't actually bad and personal growth something something.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Aye on Item 1.

In-thread is OK but feels like it might be more work to tally votes.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Voting Aye on resolution 1

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Aye to resolution 1.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Maugrim posted:

I will Aye on Item 1

Think the general ideas about another thread that can be linked to as needed, to make sure it has good visibility and then have the bulk talk there, should work.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Voting aye on item 1

Keeping it in thread is probably fine, this place rarely moves so fast that things will get lost, and it's good to keep tied to the UKMT roots.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Aye on 1
Also, I think a separate thread for meetings or votes would be more likely to be missed..

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Aye on item 1

Not that I think I'm here enough for my vote to count for much, but I don't want not saying it to count against either

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Aye on 1

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

quote:

Mr Shapps admitted it had been a "quieter start to the year" but said this was on account of stockpiling ahead of a possible no-deal. He said "less than 1 per cent of vehicles" were turning up without paperwork.

Love to stockpile fresh fish for the year

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Isomermaid posted:

Aye on item 1

Not that I think I'm here enough for my vote to count for much, but I don't want not saying it to count against either

I think that's what the amendment is meant to fix, fortunately.

Aye on item 1.

I think it's best to keep in the thread as well - it's the UKMT fund after all.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Aye on Resolution 1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Aye on 1 but yeah, keep UKMT solidarity fund updates in UKMT.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Nay on resolution 1. What's to stop just a few people turning up and voting on something to pass it with the required majority at an opportune time. There should be a minimum number of votes required for any constitutional changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks everyone! We have more than enough votes for a quorum now, although as we're operating this particular vote under section 280 of the charities act rather than the constitution, the quorum requirement may not even apply (it's a bit unclear). Regardless we're good to pass Resolution 1 at the end of the day unless we get a sudden influx of nay votes (lol).

Another consideration for meetings - there may be quite a bit of business forthcoming as we whip the constitution into better shape, and as a few people have pointed out, not everyone necessarily cares about the mundane business of the Fund - particularly lurkers or people dropping in from elsewhere / for the first time.

It's an awesome community project but, y'know, I don't necessarily want to attend every meeting of every company I might hypothetically (tugs collar) own shares in. I'd consider posting a meeting announcements in here as equivalent to getting a mailout "your invitation to our AGM", and going to the other thread as equivalent of actually making the effort to go to the meeting. My take anyway. :shrug: