Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
A clarification on Google Sheet comment usage: it's fine to use them to discuss general resource strategies (including using hard numbers for Power/Coins), but your voting recommendation for a specific Dilemma should be expressed itt :) As a rule of thumb:If you're in doubt, make sure to post itt as well (although you don't need to be as specific re: numbers as you were in your comment).

PS: if you want to notify me of something happening in a sheet comment, you can @gloomhavenlp@gmail.com and I'll receive a gmail notification directly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Sitting Councilmember

I take it then that, should no money pass hands, House Daucus will default to Nay? If so, that poses an issue. Wouldn't be wise to throw away all of our coin before the game's hardly begun.

Sitting Councilmember

You're giving away your gold regardless; would you rather pay us 3 Gold now & be sure the Ayes have it, or gamble that 2 or less Gold will buy you the moderator's favor in the event of a tie?
Assuming, of course, our friends on the Nay side of the vote have no interest in purchasing our vote & breaking that tie...

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Sitting Councilmember

Very well. We can always make our gold back up on a later date.

Proposal: House Pinchay will offer 3 Coins to House Daucus to use 1 Power on an Aye Vote.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sitting Councilmember

I weep for this kingdom, I truly do. The Crown has barely touched His Majesty's head and yet his nobility are already haggling over political favours like a child would haggle for a sweet roll! Have you no shame?

As a current sitting member of His Grace's council, I advocate the trade of this Red Iron substance not for such petty matters as personal profit, I believe that the people's prosperity is the kingdom's prosperity. The thought that a couple coins changing hands should decide whether the people get to survive the winter, it makes my heart run cold.

I implore you, put your personal motives aside and do what's right for your people. Dont throw away the prosperity of those under your protection just for some smuggler's cheap trick. We have to act now and sell this red iron before other nations get wise and we're left with warehouses full of useless rock.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Danaru posted:

Sitting Councilmember

I weep for this kingdom, I truly do. The Crown has barely touched His Majesty's head and yet his nobility are already haggling over political favours like a child would haggle for a sweet roll! Have you no shame?

What better of a time? Really? Later on, the stakes will be raised and we'll all be dug in and we'll have strong reasons for pushing one way or the other. Right now, the Kingdom is doing reasonably fine and no matter how we vote, Ankist benefits somehow.

You could think of this as exploring the boundaries of the game board.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I implore anyone wishing to buy votes on this topic to consider this: you use your coin to buy might on the issue... of buying might instead of coins. You acknowledge which is superior with your action, yet that action results in the inferior choice. Get the coins for the realm now, so that we can buy the might we want later.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Danaru posted:

Sitting Councilmember

I weep for this kingdom, I truly do.

Such a conspicuous show of political purity. To whom are you pantomiming, ser?

House Pinchay has goals to improve the Realm, and is willing to build alliances to achieve them.
House Gambol has a desire to make strong alliances, and can do this by the taking and giving of gifts.

By your actions, what can House Cyfoeth be said to seek?

Sighence posted:

I implore anyone wishing to buy votes on this topic to consider this: you use your coin to buy might on the issue... of buying might instead of coins. You acknowledge which is superior with your action, yet that action results in the inferior choice. Get the coins for the realm now, so that we can buy the might we want later.

The issue on the table is the role of the King's governance and the importance of the King's military and economy. The disposition of red iron is tertiary.

C... fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 10, 2021

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Sitting Councilmember

We have submitted the decision that we feel is best in accordance with the Mother's will, blessed be the Mother.

Mechanics question: In a situation where the treasurer of a house strikes a deal after the sitting council member has submitted a vote, does the bargain automatically supercede the vote? I assume this would be the case, to avoid miscommunications due to time zone shenanigans etc?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Covski posted:

Mechanics question: In a situation where the treasurer of a house strikes a deal after the sitting council member has submitted a vote, does the bargain automatically supercede the vote? I assume this would be the case, to avoid miscommunications due to time zone shenanigans etc?

OOC: I'd say the best thing would be for the councilmembers to post when they submit their turns, so everything after that is void.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
OOC: unless Italian Guy wants to end the session once all the votes are in, I'd say let folks change their submission if they need to afterwards. It keeps the negotiations a bit more flexible instead of having a family set themselves in stone too early :v:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

OOC: unless Italian Guy wants to end the session once all the votes are in, I'd say let folks change their submission if they need to afterwards. It keeps the negotiations a bit more flexible instead of having a family set themselves in stone too early :v:

This is my thinking too: I submitted my vote now since I can't be sure I'll have time to post tomorrow before the deadline, but with twelve hours left on the clock it seems like it would be a waste not to let the bargaining continue if a better offer were to come along in the meantime. Since the bargains are public and binding it seems like they could have priority, unless the vote by the sitting councilmember explicitly states otherwise.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Mmm this is a spicy one!

Edit: gotta think this out.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2021

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
24 hrs isn't long enough for a bargaining deadline, poo poo can just Happen where you can't get to a computer or what have you.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

OOC: The Treasurer role on the whole just might not work with the asynchronicity inherent to a forum. Plurality of house members for all offer considerations maybe? Sitting Councillor breaks any ties.

C... posted:

House Pinchay has goals to improve the Realm, and is willing to build alliances to achieve them.
House Gambol has a desire to make strong alliances, and can do this by the taking and giving of gifts.

How lovely of you to admit House Gambol cares for being "friends for pay" and has, at best, indifference for the Realm. Too much time at the docks has bathed your concept of friendship in red lights, I see.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Nea posted:

24 hrs isn't long enough for a bargaining deadline, poo poo can just Happen where you can't get to a computer or what have you.
Yeah that is something I am afraid of too.

The solution would have to keep things simple, leave enough time for the decisions/discussions while not taking a week to resolve a Dilemma. I see 3 possible solutions, all with pros and cons.

1) One option is to have whoever is casting a vote post about it itt at the same time the PM/email is sent, and that would stop the same House to be able to enter an agreement. This is very clear, but it has some side effects - first, casting a vote ends the game for the Treasurer; second, the eBay sindrome (or: waiting for the very last moment to cast your vote for fomo) is bad.

2) An alternative is to have a public agreement supersede the secret vote if they are different. This is also clear, but kinda robs the Sitting Council member of their moment under the spotlight.

3) Finally, a very simple solution is to have a single player be both roles. That way there is no "missed knowledge" and the final vote/agreement (the latest PM or the agreement) is the one that counts. This has the obvious downside of having only 1 active player instead of two for the Houses (2) that have split their roles.

I would prefer either 2 or 3 because they don't really need any change to the deadlines, but I'll let the thread vote on this and see what the people want :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 11, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I agree with 3. It's a fun idea to have separate roles, but in practice I think it'll just lead to delays or confusion. It seems fine to me to have only one "active" member per house at a time.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I prefer Option 2. I don't really see the treasurer being able to override the sitting council as a big problem, since they're both working to carry out the will of the Mother the house based on the other players' inputs. As long as the sitting councilmember isn't trying to run some kind of galaxy brain intrigue without informing the rest of the house it shouldn't be an issue. (and one could argue that the sitting councilmember acting completely autonomously would be just as problematic as the treasurer being able to overrule him)

3 is my second choice though!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[OOC] I think [2] then [3]. Allows for bargaining and has a nice backup plan of them being the same person if need be. [2] also gives a chance for more players in each house to have some power.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I think three works best personally. I get the idea of wanting to split up the roles but we already have every dilemma rotation so hopefully it won't take too long for everyone to get a chance to do fun stuff, and folks can still propose deals and the like even if they're not the sitting council member anyway

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Sitting Councilmember

Very well. We can always make our gold back up on a later date.

Proposal: House Pinchay will offer 3 Coins to House Daucus to use 1 Power on an Aye Vote.

Seeing no counter offers, consider this proposal Accepted

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
I think [3] makes the most sense, as the Voter is just a lever-puller for the Negotiator at best, and 'the guy who hosed the plan and the Kingdom' at worst.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Sitting Councilmember

And with that, all of my negotiations are finished, and we're 7 Coins in the hole. Who knows what the next dilemma will bring, but that's a problem for my next-in-line.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blastinus posted:

Sitting Councilmember

And with that, all of my negotiations are finished, and we're 7 Coins in the hole. Who knows what the next dilemma will bring, but that's a problem for my next-in-line.

I just want to say that, well... I know we ended up bargaining like rug merchants there, but I just wanted to thank House Pinchay for its show of goodwill. I think we might be able to grow close to one another over time.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 11, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Let's go with Option 2 for now: a public agreement supersede the secret vote if they are different. This should be visible for everyone and be relatively simple to manage.

If it ends up creating issues, though, we'll move to Option 3 instead and have the role of Sitting Councilmember and Treasurer be officiated by the same player.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of King Harald V, Dilemma 1, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

Votes Aye, spends 4 Power(s), spends 7 Coin(s)

Votes Aye, spends 2 Power(s), gains 4 Coin(s)

Votes Nay, bets 3 Power(s), gains 0 Coin(s)

Votes Aye, spends 1 Power(s), gains 3 Coin(s)

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 3 Power(s), gains 1 Coin(s)

The Ayes have it!
With a decisive 7 to 3, the Ayes win! House Lethe gains the whole Pot, plus 1 coin for passing. The Dukes of Coden retain the 3 Power they have bet, while the other Houses' Power is added to the new Pot. It is interesting to consider that, while it looks like House Pinchay may have overcommited, they would have needed 3+ Power on the Aye to make sure to be the Leaders and sign the outcome of the law they so clearly care very much about. Speaking of...

Vote Outcome posted:

The first symbol is quite easy: Influence gets a positive +2 push. The second symbol on the back of the Dilemma card means that we are going to open one of the 75 sealed Envelopes from the box. Each one of these has an 1 Outcome card, that progresses the story and may award a bonus to the signer; and 3 Dilemmas that get mixed into the Dilemma deck. From now on, we may encounter consequences for our decision to assign the bulk of this Red Iron to the army. If we had opted to side with the merchants instead, we would have probably opened a different envelope, with different consequences!

Envelope opened: 61

Well, looks like House Pinchay was able to recoup a good chunck of their costs! Not all Outcome cards have mechanical consequences, but the big decisions tend to have them more frequently. Blastinus gets to sign the law and get the bonus for their House.

Resources and Stability change:

The Influence tracker on the board was already showing its white side, meaning it had Positive Momentum. This means that A) it moved 3 spaces instead of 2 and B) it now has a Momentum Marker added to it - meaning that it'll move 2 extra spaces next time it receives a +X push. A negative push (-X influence) will immediately stop the Momentum and flip the token to its black side instead. Note that the Stability marker has also moved up 3 spaces.

Reign of King Harald V, Dilemma 2

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Storyline:

- Sitting Councilmember: Phelddagrif (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Omobono
- Treasurer/Navigator: Jossar

- Sitting Councilmember: Sighence (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: TravelLog (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: megane
- Treasurer/Negotiator: Bellmaker

Dilemma2 posted:

Stakes:

We have a new icon: a negative Chronicle Sticker. Chronicle stickers represent long-term ongoing effects triggered by your decisions. They can either be Positive (with a white title bar) or Negative (with a black title bar).They are attached to the Chronicle Area in the row with the Resource symbol:

When a vote has a Sticker has a part of its outcome, it means that the people of Ankist will remember this decision because it's particularly popular/unpopular. They will also remember the House who signed the decision (the Leader of the Aye/Nay vote that has generated the sticker). This has no immediate effect during the current king's reign, but it has a couple of important legacy effects! Every Sticker will (depending if it's positive or negative):
  • Increase/reduce the starting position on the Tracker for the corresponding resource at the start of the next reign(s).
  • Add/remove 1 Power for the House that signed it at the start of the next reign(s).
  • Assign positive/negative Open Agendas related to the resource on the sticker. The people are quick to move on, though, so only the most recent sticker for each resource will generate an Open Agenda and each House can have a maximum of 2 Open positive and 2 Open negative Agendas at the same time. A House that manages to get that resource first or second in the tracker during the reign where they have received a Positive Open Agenda will receive additional Agenda Points (+3 or +1), while Negative Agendas detract points if the resource is last or second to last (-3 and -1). In case of a tie, all tied Resources give the same bonus/penalty.

:siren::siren::siren:
A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules! Remember that a public agreement supersede the secret vote if they are different.
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that during this phase the thread is the main discussion platform - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing items on the sheet itself.
:siren::siren::siren:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 15, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Councilmember

I think I know my decision, but I'll have to consult my house first for advice.

Duke Jossar, the house treasury is yours to control.
May I suggest that, whatever negotiations you do, to avoid having responsibility for a nay vote fall on house Gambol?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Senator

Well, thank goodness for that signing bonus. I was sure that I'd left us in a weak position. We're still flat broke, mind, but at least we still have Power.

I agree with the Councilmember from House Gambol though. This is a real steaming turd for anyone who decides to go Nay.

(Out-of-character for a second: you said that if the pool of available power wasn't evenly divisible, then people who Pass would get nothing. How does that work with 7 power?)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden

House Cyfoeth, that weird uncle no one is sure how is related to the family and embarrasses everyone at weddings

A short man with a stained shirt and smelling of wine wanders around the great hall, eyeing the new red swords of the Kingsguard and occasionally elbowing one in the breastplate.

"Fancy pigsticker you carry there, boy. Worth a windmill or two by my estimate, but who's counting? It's not like we need the money for other stuff." A pause for a drink. "Pity you're stuck here in the palace instead of giving our enemies what for, right? Imagine what a full army of those things could do. Anyway, have a good time looking fancy here in the corner."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Second cousin, thrice removed

In my estimation, these windmills burning down is the fault of the millers. If they wanted to get rich they should have worked hard to keep their buildings safe and married into a wealthy, superior noble family. I say we vote Nay to ensure these peasants have to do work to get back to where they were and not rely on the handouts of harder workers.

Now then, anyone up for whiskey and cigars at the tourney field? It's Ser Geoff and Dame Mathilda up today!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Blastinus posted:

(Out-of-character for a second: you said that if the pool of available power wasn't evenly divisible, then people who Pass would get nothing. How does that work with 7 power?)
You have to split the pool in equal parts; everything that cannot be split equally stays in the middle. So:
  • If there are 7 Power tokens in the pool and 3 Houses decide to "Pass and gather Power", each will receive 2 tokens and 1 will be left in the middle.
  • If there are 7 Power tokens in the pool and 4 Houses decide to "Pass and gather Power", each will receive 1 tokens and 3 will be left in the middle.
  • If there are 3 Power tokens in the pool and 4 Houses decide to "Pass and gather Power", nobody gets anything cause 3 cannot be divided by 4.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Treasurer

Agreeing that the price on a Nay vote would have to be very steep indeed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Both finances and food are on a downward trajectory, so it appears as though our options are to go poor or go hungry. Let us be thankful that the kingdom has enough in their coffers to assist the millers in their time of need, and maybe let's use those red swords to cut down those who would torch our precious food supply!

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

For once a worthwhile investment for the treasury. No mills mean no food, no food means both no feasts and very angry peasants. I for one don't cotton to the idea of starving peasant mobs resorting to banditry. A couple coins now makes for a flourishing economy tomorrow.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Senator Nea

No one wants to take the fall..the decision to build the windmills once more seems obvious. I assume you all can figure it out without our help. I think House Gambol had other important matters to attend to, currently.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Councilor

The councilor from Olwyn steeples his fingers together and gazes down at a map depicting the three mills that burned in the stretch between Lybra and the lands of the Gamam. He wears a doublet of pale gray, with a red-and-white pin bearing the sigil of his house.

"The thought occurs that, having been so recently spurned in the matter of the red ore, the merchants might think quite ill of us were we to reject this further overture for our attention."

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 11, 2021

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Councilmember

I don't talk fancy. I talk business. My predecessor almost bankrupted our house and I'm here to fix that.

If we don't help our farmers, we'll have a food shortage. But we don't have the finances to support rebuilding those mills, especially after our merchants were denied new trade goods.

Neither option is good, so I'd be willing to vote either way. Let's hear some offers.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Senator

If you'll pardon my disagreement, I think that the general tone of the room has been either neutral or leaning Aye. I'd wager there's more profit in taking the one coin for passing than trying to be a free agent and being left with nothing.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Councilmember

Hah, look at the mercenary houses and how they squeal at the lack of money to make off the backs of the people this time. House Cyfoeth will be there for them, as ever.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Let us be clear, friends: The Scarlet Tide is the coolest thing ever, and we are absolutely in the best timeline. Mother be praised!

Now, to the business at hand: I agree that being immortalized on a sticker as The House That Screwed The Smallfolk is not ideal, so we should probably Pass this, ideally in a very affordable way.

If every House skips the vote, and declines to pay a Moderation Incentive, does the moderator unilaterally decide whether we Aye or Nay the bill?

C... fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

I will admit, somewhat begrudgingly, that The Scarlet Tide is indeed an impressive artifact of war, a worthy creation of the Kingdom of Ankist. Let us all hope that the fortunes of the kingdom will continue towards a bright tomorrow.