Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
LRADIKAL you are one dumb fucker. At least put some bracing on that, jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Dude has his front wheel almost entirely in front of the fork dropout in that photo...claims there are space constraints.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Everyone please just be nice.

I can barely stand it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Let him live his life-Jesus gently caress.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

nwin posted:

Let him end his life-Jesus gently caress.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

Let him live his life-Jesus gently caress.

“I NEED THE SPACE”

*has 18" air circulator*

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TobinHatesYou posted:

“I NEED THE SPACE”

*has 18" air circulator*

It’s wedged in the corner. See my original post.

Edit: if they post some feet pics, will you back off?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it is my god-given right to post stupid, dangerous things and not get made fun of

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it is my god-given right to post stupid, dangerous things and not get made fun of

I dunno. I think everyone should remember the goon in the well. People can go loving insane asking this person what they’re thinking but they already responded twice so I doubt they’ll switch up. Just let it be. If poo poo goes sideways, hopefully we get a comedy post when it does?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I promise to post a picture of my bloody face when I fly over the handlebars at 0mph.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
He’s got a setup that if rocked an inch forward or backward could collapse. You could probably do that just by pulling the bars left or right hard enough by accident.

As much as I’m making GBS threads on him I earnestly hope he doesnt hurt himself, its just wtf else am i gonna say? Look good?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LRADIKAL posted:

I promise to post a picture of my bloody face when I fly over the handlebars at 0mph.

Live your best life

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
handlebars aren’t locked straight forward while you’re on the trainer. accidents happen, you might twist those handlebars. and when you pedal hard the bike will rock side to side. it would be safer to make sure neither of those things will cause your fork to fall off that block.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PabloBOOM posted:

Everyone please just be nice.

I can barely stand it.
:golfclap:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I run a Elite Direto on Zwift and find that I have problems getting into a supertuck. It seems that the trainer is reading the energy stored in the flywheel and I have to wait for it to spin down before it will register I have stopped pedaling. Is this correct?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mikemelbrooks posted:

I run a Elite Direto on Zwift and find that I have problems getting into a supertuck. It seems that the trainer is reading the energy stored in the flywheel and I have to wait for it to spin down before it will register I have stopped pedaling. Is this correct?

Nah. Trainers which report cadence do it based on changes in torque. In theory they’d report zero RPM before you even stopped pedaling if the flywheel speed is high enough and your pedaling isn’t actually driving the hub.

There are input lag issues in Zwift with certain power meters and trainers that result in residual power being read. The best solution I’ve found for affected devices is to start coasting, then pedal for one revolution and start coasting again. This helps prevent “sticky watts” from occuring.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 10, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The wildly unstable fork support *probably* won't fail catastrophically but the reason everyone is saying 'gently caress no' is because the chances of it doing so are so very much higher than using pretty much any other available solution, most of which are also incredibly simple to implement. Nobody wants to read the followup post of 'welp guys, I'm off the bike for x months because I fell and trashed my face/frame/fork' (at least not until at least a solid page of goon in the well, that's about when the tide usually turns).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I picked up a kickr core and it’s not the same height as my back wheel, resulting in my seat angle being goofed up when the bike is on the trainer. Is there a fix for this?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dren posted:

I picked up a kickr core and it’s not the same height as my back wheel, resulting in my seat angle being goofed up when the bike is on the trainer. Is there a fix for this?

Too high or too low? If it's too high, a block under the front wheel is what you need. (This is a standard problem with trainers)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Too high or too low? If it's too high, a block under the front wheel is what you need. (This is a standard problem with trainers)

too low

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Dren posted:

too low

Do you have it set to 650b? That's what my regular Kickr came set to initially.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Vando posted:

Do you have it set to 650b? That's what my regular Kickr came set to initially.

It's a core not a kickr - it's only set up for 700x25

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

too low

If the front-end is too low, just wedge something underneath the front tire. There are branded products for this, but like, a block of wood will do. If the rear is too low, then you'll probably have to shove a plywood board underneath the whole thing or something...

Also if the bike is going to be on the trainer all season long, you can just adjust the saddle position.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 10, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

oh now a block of wood will do :rolleyes:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TobinHatesYou posted:

If the front-end is too low, just wedge something underneath the front tire. There are branded products for this, but like, a block of wood will do. If the rear is too low, then you'll probably have to shove a plywood board underneath the whole thing or something...

Also if the bike is going to be on the trainer all season long, you can just adjust the saddle position.

It's the rear being too low that's the problem. I'll have to give everything another look. It seemed possible to make the trainer higher by fashioning a shim and putting it in the base.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Let him live the remainder of his life before that “stand” falls over-Jesus gently caress.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Adding a base to the thing will be quick and cheap, surely

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just pretend you're riding up a constant 3% grade

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

oh now a block of wood will do :rolleyes:

:vince:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have a kickr core and I installed an 8 speed cassette on it for my wife and it is loud as gently caress compared to when I put on an 11 speed one and my bike. I used the spacer that came with it but it still seems off. It’s loudest in the 11 tooth cog and gets more normal in the middle of the cassette. Is this an indexing thing?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time posted:

I have a kickr core and I installed an 8 speed cassette on it for my wife and it is loud as gently caress compared to when I put on an 11 speed one and my bike. I used the spacer that came with it but it still seems off. It’s loudest in the 11 tooth cog and gets more normal in the middle of the cassette. Is this an indexing thing?

What size spacer did you put on?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What size spacer did you put on?

It only came with one and it was a 1.8mm that said it was the right size to make the 8 speed claris cassettes work

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Time posted:

It only came with one and it was a 1.8mm that said it was the right size to make the 8 speed claris cassettes work

Possibilities:
Limit screw adjustment = least likely because that would only affect one gear combo.
Reindexing needed = maybe
New cassette + old/worn chain = perhaps most likely of all

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thank you!

I just put it on the trainer again and noticed that even with the correct 142mm through axle adaptor I have to “pinch” the stays together a bit (half cm?) to get the axle to bite on the other side and start threading on the opposite side from insertion. It doesn’t need to do this with the actual wheel which seems like an issue.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Easiest way to solve this is to buy your wife a nicer bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Time posted:

Thank you!

I just put it on the trainer again and noticed that even with the correct 142mm through axle adaptor I have to “pinch” the stays together a bit (half cm?) to get the axle to bite on the other side and start threading on the opposite side from insertion. It doesn’t need to do this with the actual wheel which seems like an issue.

I can’t imagine why this would be happening unless this were somehow a boost bike with 8spd components. That would be extremely unlikely.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think I got way overzealous tightening the cassette and it’s loving up the general alignment of the drivetrain by a millimeter somewhere. When she shifts to the small front chainring it sounds great, in the big there is a lot of vibration in the pedals and some sort of metal on metal contact happening that I can’t find the source of. It also looks like the spacer is bent a bit as result of the extra torque. I know you all are very invested in this so I’ll keep you posted after I back it off

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Time posted:

I think I got way overzealous tightening the cassette and it’s loving up the general alignment of the drivetrain by a millimeter somewhere. When she shifts to the small front chainring it sounds great, in the big there is a lot of vibration in the pedals and some sort of metal on metal contact happening that I can’t find the source of. It also looks like the spacer is bent a bit as result of the extra torque. I know you all are very invested in this so I’ll keep you posted after I back it off

I find this very unlikely. The recommended amount of torque is 40n-m, and it’s pretty hard to accidentally go over. You’re more likely to destroy a cassette lockring or freehub’s threaded interface than to crush a spacer.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hi shut in bike folks

so since mid-way 2020 I had a hernia and basically stopped cycling completely, I had surgery for it a month ago and the doc told me I can resume basically everything now, taking is slow

it being cold and me being a wuss, I've ordered a Elite Direto XR trainer

I understand it comes with a 11 speed Shimano cassette already installed

Now the question I can't really seem to find 100% the answer to from my searching... will my Felt FR60 be drop-in and ride? Or am I missing some components / wrong size components?

Specifically can I use the bike with the 11 speed cassette the trainer comes with... I'm still learning about what works with what stuff.

I THINK the answer is no, without some modifications? Specifically that my shifters and derailer won't work with the 11 speed?

But happy to see what everyone else thinks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It depends on what's on the Felt FR60 - I googled one and it appears to have Shimano Claris, is that correct?

Ideally what you want to do is to put a cassette on there that's the same speed as your groupset, which in this case is 8. While that's not officially supported (afaik), there's plenty of reports of putting an 8 speed cassette on it with sufficient spacers and it working fine. If you're not confident with doing this, it's a quick job for someone with the right tools. Likewise if it's 9/10 speed (although those ARE officially supported)