Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's a hell of a steal. £15 for basically all the manga plus loads of extras. If anyone has bought it, how's the quality of the comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

That's a hell of a steal. £15 for basically all the manga plus loads of extras. If anyone has bought it, how's the quality of the comics?

I bought it yesterday and from what I’ve downloaded it is all downloadable as cbz, pdf, and epub. The epubs for a volume are between 200-300mb, and look pretty nice on a tablet, nothing wrong with them certainly.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatched episodes 18-22. I'm still very fond of this arc, but episode 19 is still bad and it's peak "3DMG is just like flying" laziness with the endless shots of them talking while whizzing through the trees. I'm left one lingering plot question that I seriously hope was answered in the manga: how did Erwin know that there would be an smaller fleshy titan going after Eren as soon as they left the walls? They only saw the Colossal and Armored Titans before, and neither of them would work as targets for their operation. Was there a report kept secret within the Scouts seeing an unusual titan before the initial breaching of Wall Maria?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
At the time they had no idea how tough Reiner's armor was, since it had only been seen once briefly during the initial breach on Wall Maria, and Erwin already had suspicions of at least a third shifter both because of the way pure titans had been lured towards the districts just prior to the attacks, and because it'd be careless to assume they only had the two known to contend with.

It was definitely a gamble, though, as were most of his ballsier plans.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 8, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I want to read the manga but I really don't like the art...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I've been holding back on rushing ahead to finish the manga partially because I want to enjoy the twists through the show, and also because the manga's art doesn't really resonate with me. It can tell the story fine, but it's not so pleasant to look at.

If there's a large gap between when the manga finished and when the second part of the Final Season airs (or they do a movie) I'll probably just read the manga to finish it off though.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

teagone posted:

I want to read the manga but I really don't like the art...

The art improves rapidly if that helps any. By the time you hit the uprising arc in the manga the quality is leaps and bounds better, by the time you catchup it’s almost unrecognisable and you have some really breathtaking panels on display

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Asuron posted:

The art improves rapidly if that helps any. By the time you hit the uprising arc in the manga the quality is leaps and bounds better, by the time you catchup it’s almost unrecognisable and you have some really breathtaking panels on display

Yea I think after a certain point the manga nails events visually and artistically better than the anime for the most part. Erwin getting his arm chomped is just insane in print for example.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Read this: https://imgur.com/a/K9SICjh

and then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXs5nvQalcw

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
AoT is Isayama's first published work, and he's improved a lot through the 10 years it's been serialized.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

AoT is Isayama's first published work, and he's improved a lot through the 10 years it's been serialized.

Even when his art was kinda trash it had a lot of soul. All the character in his designs is there from the start

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I guess to be fair I'm kinda spoiled because the only manga I've read from start to finish are Battle Angel Alita and Gantz, and the art in both of those is kinda insane to me—BAA especially. I've read BAA several times over both digitally and in print. The deluxe edition books released when the live-action film came out are gorgeous as hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the manga has extremely rough art a lot of the time, but Isayama's kinetic energy in his fight scenes especially with Eren's titan are impeccable.

Check the fight scene between annie and eren after the four pro scouts get merc'd by Annie's titan in the forest and Eren decides to transform: https://mangadex.org/chapter/150246/1

like, yeah the anime version is great, but isayama absolutely knocked it out of the park with how absolutely out of control, punching-so-hard-his-arms-and-fists-literally-explode eren is in this fight

and also, he really is so good at making the titans utterly horrifying

lol I forgot how terrible the earlier scanlations were. Levi was "rivaille".

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

God drat I forgot how good that fight is. The LINES!!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the manga has extremely rough art a lot of the time, but Isayama's kinetic energy in his fight scenes especially with Eren's titan are impeccable.

Yeah, it got better, and now I'd say it's usually good, but... it took some time to reach that level.

That said, although the first arc is rough, at least it isn't the pre-serialization one-shot. That crossed the line from "not great" to "actively painful". I can see why Shonen Jump rejected it.

That said, I remember some interview with a mangaka, maybe Araki, talking about what's important to succeed. It's not good art, although that can help, as much as it is distinct art. You want to be able to tell a manga in a crowd, and even the weak early art for AoT managed that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Buzzing around like a humming bird waiting for tomorrows ep. It's gonna feel like 3 mins long

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

teagone posted:

I guess to be fair I'm kinda spoiled because the only manga I've read from start to finish are Battle Angel Alita and Gantz

:crossarms:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Rewatched episodes 18-22. I'm still very fond of this arc, but episode 19 is still bad and it's peak "3DMG is just like flying" laziness with the endless shots of them talking while whizzing through the trees. I'm left one lingering plot question that I seriously hope was answered in the manga: how did Erwin know that there would be an smaller fleshy titan going after Eren as soon as they left the walls? They only saw the Colossal and Armored Titans before, and neither of them would work as targets for their operation. Was there a report kept secret within the Scouts seeing an unusual titan before the initial breaching of Wall Maria?

He didn't know, but he suspected at this point that someone like Eren is operating within the walls. It was logical to assume he wasn't the only shifter. The Military Police tipped him off by trying to get Eren and execute him, rather than use his skills; someone killing two captured titans confirmed his suspicions. At this point it was almost sure that someone was going to kidnap Eren.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

He didn't know, but he suspected at this point that someone like Eren is operating within the walls. It was logical to assume he wasn't the only shifter. The Military Police tipped him off by trying to get Eren and execute him, rather than use his skills; someone killing two captured titans confirmed his suspicions. At this point it was almost sure that someone was going to kidnap Eren.
Err, are you implying that someone within the MP knew about Annie?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's a trashy manga, but I love it—a lot of the creature design was fun and creative. Some panels did look like rear end, but the context outweighed any bad visuals imo. My favorite arc was the stupid dinosaur hunting one:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Here we go.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Erin has transcended to warrior monk: I accept and understand my enemies, but I'm still going to kill them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder if the Crunchyroll disclaimer was because of how loving wild this week was in the real world

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

:piss:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RIP background guy

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So Eren has the glowing green eyes here. That kind of casts his actions here in a weird light for me.

RIP building full of innocent civilians.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I didn't see dude getting domed by that piece of building until my second watch. Love the little details in this show.

Honestly I feel like MAPA's art style this season was a step down from the previous studio, but they really stepped it up for the Eren transformation scene, beautiful stuff.

I also really loved the building tension of the episode as the plan unfolds and Falco realizes what's happening.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 11, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:getin:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

[Deleted because this I might have thrown out something too close, doing it with other posts as well. Sorry!]

ETA: Really like the writing for the show, good music choices.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 13, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It looks to me like the Tyburs and Erin are working together. Everything about this seems to be staged. Getting the Marleyan shifters out of the picture is so that there is no one interfering with whatever Erin and Willy have planned.

I think Willy is the Warhammer Titan and Erin attacking him is just part of the theatrics.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

It looks to me like the Tyburs and Erin are working together. Everything about this seems to be staged. Getting the Marleyan shifters out of the picture is so that there is no one interfering with whatever Erin and Willy have planned.

Willy did 9/11.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Disclaimer: After last episode I caved and watched up to this part in the manga because I'd been spoiled on it and I've been super impatient to get to it this whole season.

It's interesting that Willy seems to fulfill the 'self-hating jew' archetype, outright saying he wishes all Eldians would disappear. The Tybur's seemingly have been completely isolated from other Eldians for 100 years living in high society and have spent it all passing down the knowledge of the horrible crimes of the Eldian Empire so it makes sense that they see all this as deserved punishment without considering the abject cruelty and human cost of the Marley they've built. Also this just reinforces that the Tybur's really were the true power in Marley. There was no mythical hero, probably just some guy they had pose for the paintings and statues.

Eren just straight up destroying a building of innocent people definitely hits the mark on war making monsters of everyone but at the same time he did at least wait until after Marley declared their intention to annihilate his people. Considering the hundreds of thousands of deaths they've already caused it's hard for me to really condemn him on this one.

Neat parallels: Eren visibly reacts when Willy says he wants to live because he was born into this world, which is almost the same thing Eren's mother said about him. Also Eren's 'I'll keep moving forward' is the advice Reiner gave him in the flashback 2 episodes ago, lol. I don't even feel bad for Reiner, he totally deserves all this.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

One of the things I really love about the writing in AoT is that the audience gets enough information to generate a bunch of theories, but they quickly collapse down shortly before the reveal. As soon as Willy started talking about how Fritz saved them all, I turned to my other half and went "Welp, the Founding Titan is no longer possessed by the royal family, nice excuse to go to war." Willy gives a piece of the (entirely plausible) truth while lying by implication (that Eren can control all the titans).
Is he lying? Eren couldn't control the titans 4 years ago but there's no guarantee he can't learn how to (in fact, he briefly did it at the end of season 2). And even if he can't he was certainly right that Eren was planning to attack the outside world.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What Eren needs to control the founder is explained but I can’t remember if it’s been covered yet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

What Eren needs to control the founder is explained but I can’t remember if it’s been covered yet.

It has, but Marley doesn't know he needs to be touching someone of royal blood and only Eren figured it out. All Marley knows is that Reiner and Bert saw him controlling them and he has the Founders power so I'd guess they're going off of that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

- Armin sure grew up fast. Does the holder of the Colossal Titan grow when they take it on? (There's a small sliver of Armin's hair under the helmet and one shot of his face, it's pretty subtle.)

I mean, Bert was 6'4''. And Eren went from 5'7'' to six foot even during the timeskip, while Jean went from 5'9'' to 6'3'', so it's not like there's no points of comparison here.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Eren realized last season that he could only control Titans when touching Fritz royalty. Episode 58 when he interrupts the meeting near the end of the episode.

As in, the only reason he could do it in S2 is because he touched Dina in Smiling Titan form, when he punched her hand.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nephthys posted:

It has, but Marley doesn't know he needs to be touching someone of royal blood and only Eren figured it out. All Marley knows is that Reiner and Bert saw him controlling them and he has the Founders power so I'd guess they're going off of that.
Yeah, this was covered and I figure that while Marley doesn't know, the Tyburs do know and certainly whoever holds the War Hammer Titan would have the memories that show it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Does it have to be someone with Titan power AND royal blood? I imagine that’s the case because why not just use historia