Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Norman Rockwell had the gift of fully realizing a moment & illustrating it so others could see it too.

New Kids in the Neighborhood, 1967

"The Problem We All Live With,” Norman Rockwell, 1963

Funny enough I only recently saw the uncropped version of the above illuatration. Almost every version I saw beforehand cropped out the racial slur on the wall. Shame too because it's full glory is best seen with it, as uncomfortable as it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Y'know, I've heard the name Norman Rockwell a lot, but I never had any idea what kind of stuff he painted.
I always imagined it was more American Gothic-style; didn't realise he did social commentary. I'll have to check his stuff out when I have some time.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lady Disdain posted:

Y'know, I've heard the name Norman Rockwell a lot, but I never had any idea what kind of stuff he painted.
I always imagined it was more American Gothic-style; didn't realise he did social commentary. I'll have to check his stuff out when I have some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPt0dGg4BKA

I love those pictures though.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

See also Murder in Mississippi.

E: I was also reminded of the Priest and the Soldier while looking for that Rockwell.

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jan 4, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thats an absolutely incredible photo.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It took me a while to see the shadow of the parachute, so my heart was in my stomach when he was heading towards the rocks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

It took me a while to see the shadow of the parachute, so my heart was in my stomach when he was heading towards the rocks.

Definitely some good camerawork on the part of the skiier, yeah. The reveal kicks in right when you've every right to be worried.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the shadow is there the entire time

but yeah i didnt expect or notice it either so i got pretty :ohdear:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qmkzicTYsM1u3mcnq.mp4

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ninja Warrior audition tape looking good

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I'm getting a bit queasy thinking about all the ways this could have gone wrong, but the way it did play out was great.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
There's almost nothing better than seeing someone walk away from what should be a horrific accident. Like those videos of people almost getting hit by rally cars, or people who slip and like flip and land on their feet.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yep, like a real life Buster Keaton stunt.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/pamelacolloff/status/1348297094969372677

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Hippos were already terrifying but I didn’t know they could move through water like this :catstare:

https://twitter.com/s7hmidt/status/1347924097104281600?s=21

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
why would you slow back down after that

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

As I like to restate: Hippos are a motherfucking murder machine if you even think about getting in their territory.
Can run decently fast on land too, a human incapable of sprinting away might not make it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
all those rules from zombieland pretty much apply to hippos

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is use enough gun one of the rules, because I feel thats the most important with hippos

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is what the 2/4 bore stop gun was invented for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYlDgwo52tI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYtxxRU_cY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

zombieland wiki posted:

#2: Double Tap - In those moments when you're not sure the undead are really dead dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

I don't think that Hippos ever play dead but I'm not leaving anything to chance.
And a large beast like that can probably get hurt and momentarily stunned by things that kill a man instantly.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

By popular demand posted:

As I like to restate: Hippos are a motherfucking murder machine if you even think about getting in their territory.
Can run decently fast on land too, a human incapable of sprinting away might not make it.

Hippos can do almost 50kph running on land. An athletic human sprint is about half that.

When I lived in the Masai Mara, having hippos around my tent was more worrysome than anything else. Elephants were scary too, but they're so much smarter so they're predictable. Hippos are just chaotic idiots.

That being said, having those animals around your tent was somewhat comforting, even if they're loud eaters. If you know there's dangerous animals around you there are no humans around. Humans worry me a lot more than the animals.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Luckily for the Ugandan Gamewarden in the following article, it's more about GTFO and away than maintaining a lead for extended distances.
2009 death chase

And come to think of it that Ugandan gentleman is definitely a fit for this thread!

E: in other hippo news- Pablo Escobar inadvertently started a hippo community.

quote:

“You know how people say about wild animals ‘if you don’t bother them, they won’t bother you,’ and ‘they’re more afraid of you than you are of them’?” Shurin asked.

“Neither is true of hippos. "

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Jan 10, 2021

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pookah posted:

Birds are generally pretty clear about what is pissing them off and the problem is usually dumb humans not paying attention to them when they are telling them to gently caress all the way off. I have lived with a parrot for 20+ years and life got a lot less bitey when we all learned to read her " I'ma bite you if you don't stop being a bitch" signs

My friends friends family had* a parrot, and the first time we were going over there to hang out he warned us "just be aware that our parrot is a bit of a dick" and I was a little nervous because like, I'd seen them in pet stores and stuff and they've got a beak that looks like it could take your finger off it wanted to.

(*Actually, given how long parrots live they very well could have it, it was more than 15 years ago and they'd had it for a while but they live like 50 years!)

However, they did not mean that the parrot, Olly, was bitey. The first time I went over there the Olly just stayed in it's cage while we were downstairs smoking weed and playing video games -- I asked about him and my friend said once I'd been over a few times he'd come out and chill, Olly wanted to observe me a couple of times and make sure I wasn't a rowdy child because apparently a child once pulled out one of his feathers and he didn't like them after that. Again, not in a bitey way, like he'd straight up say "No" to coming out if there were rowdy kids around.

The third time I went over there he was totally different. Rather than staring at me from his cage, he was moving around and playing with his toys, just generally being a playful, cool bird. After that, they'd let the parrot out when I was around and it would go around to a few of different perches and again, just do generally neat parrot stuff. I was able to hold it but I didn't really like to because they've got big-rear end claws and I saw him crack open nuts like nothing and I like my fingers. Still, we were cool.

But he's supposed to be a dick, right? Oh, he was. He loved opening things and hiding things; one time he made us miss a movie because he went into my friends pocket and hid his keys. We ended up finding them hung up on the back of a door handle. Remote controls had to go in a specific drawer that locked because otherwise he would spend a lot of effort opening the back and hiding the batteries. Shoes were taken off in the mudroom, if you left them in the kitchen there was a good chance he'd bite the laces in half.

Most of Olly's dickery though, was reserved for the dog. Their dog was a smaller dog with what I'm pretty sure was some jack russell in him so he was pretty energetic and vocal and Olly seemed to love hearing him bark. Olly could talk and Olly could tease. He'd fly over to the keyring (which was one that locked because again, he'd hide them if you didn't) and jiggle the keys and leash... and actually say "Walk time!" and every time the dog would come running, thinking he was getting a walk.

Olly also learned the concept of treats. On the counter there was a jar that had a metal latch on it and he learned how to open it and absolutely loved doing so. They stopped putting like, all the treats in it, but they'd leave a few in there. Dog treats, not bird treats. Why dog treats? Because he loved feeding the dog treats. He would go to his jar, open it, and pull out a treat and drop it on the floor for the dog and whistle and say "treat!" and the dog would be over in a second to get his snack. Most of the time. Sometimes he'd open the jar just because he found it fun, then he'd call the dog over... and just hop around doing what I'm pretty sure was mocking the dog for being tricked and then the dog would start barking and whining and Olly would get a bit louder and it was just really obvious this bird just loving loved fooling the dog.

I always thought it was hilarious but you could tell my friend and his family had grown a bit used to it - you'd hear the bird go "Treat!" and the dog would take off running and then just chaos in the kitchen, a bunch of barking and flapping and whistling and the family would just sorta shake their heads.

He was a cool bird.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Jan 11, 2021

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

all those rules from zombieland pretty much apply to hippos

:hmmyes: I always check the backseat for surprise hippos

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Bobby Digital posted:

Hippos were already terrifying but I didn’t know they could move through water like this :catstare:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

By popular demand posted:

I played a city / empire building game called Pharaoh, set in ancient Egypt, a long time ago. I remember one of the cheat codes to destroy an opponent was "hippostampede"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

You really need to watch the footage to appreciate how well the cop distracted them.

https://i.imgur.com/SJPAadN.mp4

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah that guy should get a medal

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You really need to watch the footage to appreciate how well the cop distracted them.

https://i.imgur.com/SJPAadN.mp4

The rioter chud even looks at the other door for a split second before following the cop. That officer did a stellar job in a lose-lose situation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also watch how the cop shoves him. He does it more during the kiting to hold them off, but there he purposefully gives him a shove to antagonize him and get him to follow after him.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So at what point will this discussion be flooded with "gently caress you bootlickers for thinking that this police deserves any praise for being a police"?

I also think that it was a cool maneuver for redirecting their attention away from the area they are trying to protect.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The problem is the institution not the individual.
Go in peace my son.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Der Kyhe posted:

So at what point will this discussion be flooded with "gently caress you bootlickers for thinking that this police deserves any praise for being a police"?

I also think that it was a cool maneuver for redirecting their attention away from the area they are trying to protect.

That guy was so cool he deserves to be fired so he can get a job where he can be cool as part of the job and not spend his life enforcing laws that protect capital and oppress the lower classes and other marginalized people of this nation.

There, now you can nut.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
From what we can see that guy did his job and did it well, and should be commended.

Der Kyhe posted:

I mean now, I guess since you did it yourself. Why not let it stand on its own and wait to react to assholes rather than trying to preemptively burn them like that?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Der Kyhe posted:

He used himself as bait for white supremacists. Its badass.

Edit: Misinterpreted your post for a minute.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Congrats on being the first to redirect our attention back to ACAB, namaste. Jokes aside, let me redirect attention towards the origins for much of the modern anti-police sentiment, rather than simply parroting that sentiment as a truism.

He risked his life to protect others by antagonizing a bunch of angry white supremacists. If in that moment he did not embody the letter of ACAB, then he most certainly followed the spirit. And if more cops were both willing to fight (and rewarded by their institutions for fighting!) racism then maybe their approval ratings would be less shaky right now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Bloop posted:

From what we can see that guy did his job and did it well, and should be commended.

I mean now, I guess since you did it yourself. Why not let it stand on its own and wait to react to assholes rather than trying to preemptively burn them like that?

Because then they might never get the chance to whine, whinge, or even complain! You can’t expect them to take that risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd consider the Capitol Police in a different category than a regular patrolman. His job isn't to go around pulling over dark-skinned people for dubious reasons. His job is to protect the people at the highest levels of our government. And he did a drat fine job at that.