Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah okay, so Together is more of a group server thing than a peer-to-peer connection, so I want the original to play solo best. Cheers.

To be clear I already have a lot of hours in the original, I was just wondering if Together was the more updated version. If it doesn't have Hamlet and such then I'll give it a miss.

If anything, Together was lagging behind the standard one-player version in terms of updates for a long time. It might be basically caught up now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I finished watching Detention on Netflix and I think anyone who liked the game should definitely check it out. It’s not really an adaptation, it’s more like a sequel, though without getting into spoilers I’m not sure I could fully call it that either. So I kind of think of it as it’s own thing. But it definitely connects to, expands, and continues the original story.

It also doesn’t have as much of the visceral horror elements of the game, it’s more of a drama dealing with grief and trauma, and the horror is more of the psychological nature. (In terms of atmosphere think less Silent Hill and more Haunting of Hill House). In fact I’d say the most horror in the show didn’t have to do with the supernatural at all. I thought it was really well done though and was pretty captivated throughout.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 4, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SEXHAY DAWL

Also Illbleed itself is also a bad dad game :v: but I would love to see more games attempt to do what Illbleed was doing, just a bunch of anthology shlocky horror stuff in the style of a deadly interactive haunted house/dark ride.

....So pretty much like the dread x collections I guess, but with a more relevant/connected story outside of the individual attractions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's only a bad dad game if you are the bad dad.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

yeah illbleed is a bad FRIEND game

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Jinkies. Evil Within is a little more demanding than most of the games I've been playing. Any tips for what to spend my brain juice on?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Bought and been playing At Dead of Night, as much for the novelty as the quality production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-XhHr_aV0M

Honestly a surprisingly fun little thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This looks really drat cool, thanks for the heads up on this.

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013

Danknificent posted:

Jinkies. Evil Within is a little more demanding than most of the games I've been playing. Any tips for what to spend my brain juice on?

The only thing you absolutely need is more stamina, Sebastian's ridiculously out of shape at the starting level. Increasing your match, handgun, and syringe (and to a lesser extent shotgun and bolt) capacity is helpful, especially in the early stages where you'll likely have to leave stuff behind if you haven't upgraded those. Upgrading the pistol's accuracy and criticals is also a good idea, though personally I was so hopeless at landing headshots that the latter wasn't much use. And you'll want to upgrade your harpoon and flash bolts at some point, maybe explosives too; the other bolts are good but cost so much to craft that they aren't worth focusing on. The only thing you don't ever want to upgrade is melee damage, and I'd recommend leveling up your health when you're injured because it gives you a free heal.

The game can be rough no matter what you spend your brain juice on, though, so good luck!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought that that game looked familiar, At Dead of Night is by the company who did Contradiction.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Not the Bees posted:

The only thing you absolutely need is more stamina, Sebastian's ridiculously out of shape at the starting level. Increasing your match, handgun, and syringe (and to a lesser extent shotgun and bolt) capacity is helpful, especially in the early stages where you'll likely have to leave stuff behind if you haven't upgraded those. Upgrading the pistol's accuracy and criticals is also a good idea, though personally I was so hopeless at landing headshots that the latter wasn't much use. And you'll want to upgrade your harpoon and flash bolts at some point, maybe explosives too; the other bolts are good but cost so much to craft that they aren't worth focusing on. The only thing you don't ever want to upgrade is melee damage, and I'd recommend leveling up your health when you're injured because it gives you a free heal.

The game can be rough no matter what you spend your brain juice on, though, so good luck!

Thanks! Stamina it is

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't remember, was the smoke bomb stealth kill combo a thing in the first Evil Within, or was that just for the sequel?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't remember, was the smoke bomb stealth kill combo a thing in the first Evil Within, or was that just for the sequel?

There's no smoke bomb but it has a flash bomb which is even better because it'll hit basically every enemy that can see it and lasts quite a long time.

A stamina upgrade or two should be the very first thing and I just dumped my points into the crossbow. I didn't regret fully upgrading my matches but midway through the game I was always capped on matches and all of the crossbow's bolts gib enemies or otherwise take them down in a way you don't need to burn bodies for value.

Don't save for the flaming bolts on the first playthrough, it's too expensive but also there's a troll area later in the game with flammable gas and if you even pull the crossbow out with the flaming upgrade you die.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If you're following a walkthrough for locker keys, you can get a heck of a lot of green goo out of the lockers and it makes upgrading all the way to flaming bolts much easier to swallow. They're pretty powerful and the "troll area" can be stealthed with a few stealth kills.

I recently did a replay since my first playthrough to ~Ch. 9 got put aside for some reason (for...a couple of years despite having finished Evil Within 2 in that time). Followed a walkthrough this time to get the collectibles and I was swimming in upgrades by the end of the game. Fully upgraded Revolver damage :getin:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I'm at like chapter 5 and I'm burning all the bodies and hay that I find, but why am I doing that? Will these guys get back up if I don't? Is there ever anything in the hay? I have had some success with burning them before they attack.

I did modest upgrades to stamina and basic supply stuff, then put some into my pistol crit and harpoon damage. I don't have too much trouble landing headshots, and harpoon ammo seems common since I can easily make it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Danknificent posted:

I'm at like chapter 5 and I'm burning all the bodies and hay that I find, but why am I doing that? Will these guys get back up if I don't?

no, that's a failure of communication on the game's part. burning dead bodies is pointless, matches are just an insta-kill to any mook who's been knocked down but hasn't died yet (i.e., released items or goo), as well as creating a serious damage field for any other enemies who step into the blaze

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah matches are meant to be used in conjunction with shooting an enemy’s legs to knock them down. It’s a way to save ammo especially early game when you’re super strapped but the game never communicates this because it expects you to have played Resident Evil 4 and no other third person shooter. You can usually catch 2-3 enemies in a single blaze but it’s a very risk/reward mechanic.

A fully upgraded crossbow bolt is a one-hit kill to basically any enemy and you’re at the point in the game where you have more than a revolver with like 3 bullets.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 10, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought that that game looked familiar, At Dead of Night is by the company who did Contradiction.

Oh, that owns. I'm glad they're doing well enough that they can put out something else. Is the villain in DoN the inspector from Contradiction?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is Tim Follin involved with Dead of Night?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Oxxidation posted:

as well as creating a serious damage field for any other enemies who step into the blaze
All I've ever been able to find about that is that even after six years, people are literally still arguing about the question of what (if anything) it actually does when an enemy touches a still-burning body and why it's different from what happens when they're already standing on top of it as you toss the match - and they do it in exactly the same way that people already did back when the game was still new. Matches: a game mechanic so badly designed, how they really work is still a mystery even over half a decade later.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
From having played recently and put way too many hours in to Trophies I would say that matches work in the following manner.

When a match hits a downed enemy there is a whoosh noise and particle effect accompanied by a small AoE burst that will light any nearby enemy on fire. It is an extremely small AoE. If other enemies aren't basically actually touching the downed enemy or within about a foot of it they will suffer no ill effects. Additionally, the whoosh and particle effect is literally the only time fire will spread, there is absolutely no contact spread past the moment the match hits.

The other sources of fire work somewhat differently, and some of them do seem to put down an AoE effect that lingers for a little while. I still can't say there is spread between enemies though. I didn't see that after many hours of playing, plus collison seems to mostly turn off when an enemy is in the panic on fire state. Usually they just pass right through each other with no interaction.

I enjoyed the game a lot, but its more than a little under polished in places. It had a lot of level design that seemed like gotcha moments, where the trap is only effective the first time because you aren't expecting it and then trivial to deal with once you know it even exists. It also felt, gameplay wise, like a game that should have come out a year or two after RE4. Its polished and refined from RE4, but completely ignores years of horror game gameplay trends and ends up feeling dated.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 11, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kokoro Wish posted:

Bought and been playing At Dead of Night, as much for the novelty as the quality production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-XhHr_aV0M

Honestly a surprisingly fun little thing.

This neo-FMV aesthetic looks really drat good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Having finished REmake HD for the first time the ludonarrative dissonance really hit that there is no head stomping mechanic because crimson heads wouldn’t work with one. I could’ve sworn enemies could grab your ankles but if it’s impossible it never once happened to me in the play through. Even when I tried to kill two zombies so they stacked you can only ever light one at a time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Eh, I dunno. Resident Evil isn't Night of the Living Dead and its zombies are explicitly not actually any more vulnerable to getting shot in the head than to getting shot anywhere else. It's not like they couldn't have come up with some excuse for why they'd get back up anyway. Then the problem would be that there's no point in even having a headstomp, though, because you'd just end up using it on everything and only ever have it work on exactly the zombies that can't turn into crimson heads to begin with.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

REmake explicitly says “destroy the head or burn the body” so RE’s zombies are Romero zombies but mechanically the player can’t circumvent this by curbstomping them. Crimson heads were never an issue for me but also I think it’s the dumbest part about the remake. I think a better twist would’ve been the zombies you don’t kill become super powered, if the idea was to surprise series regulars then those are the kind of players who aren’t fighting enemies in the first place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crimson Heads are pretty much irrelevant in REmake after your first full run of the game, once you know the layout of the mansion then you'll probably get down to the labs before the first dudes start getting back up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

REmake explicitly says “destroy the head or burn the body” so RE’s zombies are Romero zombies but mechanically the player can’t circumvent this by curbstomping them. Crimson heads were never an issue for me but also I think it’s the dumbest part about the remake. I think a better twist would’ve been the zombies you don’t kill become super powered, if the idea was to surprise series regulars then those are the kind of players who aren’t fighting enemies in the first place.
Oh, okay, I thought you were talking about actually kicking them in the head for brain damage, not about Isaac Clarke-style gravity stomps. I guess it doesn't really make any difference, then. RE games have always used a pretty vague "major systemic trauma and destruction of body mass" explanation for why any amount of shooting a zombie even works at all, and literally destroying the entire head would certainly do that just as well as burning the body does.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
One of my fondest RE memories was the last time I played REmake, and an early Crimson Head appeared behind some kind of block push puzzle in a room I would run through a lot. He was trapped behind a block the entire game and was just always there for me when I needed a friend.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

Crimson Heads are pretty much irrelevant in REmake after your first full run of the game, once you know the layout of the mansion then you'll probably get down to the labs before the first dudes start getting back up.
Well that and the shotgun, if I have anything bad to say about the system it's how disproportionately it becomes focused on simply getting decapitations over everything else, if you do end up leaving a crimson head it feels like bad luck more than anything.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 11, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lurker2006 posted:

Well that and the shotgun, if I have anything bad to say about the system it's how disproportionately it becomes focused on simply getting decapitations over everything else, if you do end up leaving a crimson head it feels like bad luck more than anything.

Idk the internals of REmake but either the shotgun decap is random or it’s like the RE2make where every zombie has unique health because some zombies would take 2 headshots like a champ and still fall over.

Apparently any kind of gibbing is enough to stop it. I never experimented but knee shots may be more effective.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Crimson Heads are definitely more of a system that's designed to feel difficult to manage than actually being so. Even on the hardest difficulty, there's more than enough supplies to burn/decapitate every zombie in the halls you'll travel most often. Plus, even if a zombie does turn into a Crimson Head, they're actually really easy to just run by, or kill if they're in the way. They're not as fast or powerful as they seem!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Crimson heads are an interesting idea on their own, but they probably stick out because classic Resident Evil coining the term "Survival Horror" was about "monster can't kill you if it's dead!" and running away when you don't have enough gun to make that happen, or to solve the puzzle that will kill them, Because survival instinct is fight OR flight.

Crimson heads being something that tries to punish you for shooting zombies unless you engage in literal chores probably stands out more in ReMake, because they remind people of games where people are very proud of themselves for punishing the player for engaging in combat "Because REAL horror is not trying to be rambo!" rather than, you know, a game with grenade launchers.

Feels like they are an amazing take on "Why you should make sure the dead stay dead" zombies where you have to decide if you have time to loiter around and burn the bodies that got lost and ended up in the wrong game, essentially?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 11, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
really I think crimson heads were a crutch to deal with one of the core shortcoming of RE's design. The main dilemma presented by RE's gameplay, "should I shoot this zombie, should I risk running by?", is just kind of an illusion. Outside of trying to get a low time the path of least resistance is just methodically killing every zombie obstacle you come across. If it takes a couple more trips back to an item box? Oh well, they don't respawn and pistol ammo is effectively infinite.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I only played twice on easy but my one gripe is how much Chris blows.

I thought it was cool on NG+ whenthe tyrant actually swipes away the first rocket you shoot at him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doesn't that always happen in REmake?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

exquisite tea posted:

This neo-FMV aesthetic looks really drat good.

The UI looks incredibly nice to use, like everything about the controls is so good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This white day labyrinth school game is pretty cool so far. Janky but I like it.

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed
So uh, Murder House is loving terrifying. I picked it up a few days ago and haven't even gotten past the prologue because of that goddamn shrieking every time the bunny starts chasing you. I don't know what it is about this game that I can't stomach at night but it makes every other horror game feel like Toontown Online.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

graveportents posted:

So uh, Murder House is loving terrifying. I picked it up a few days ago and haven't even gotten past the prologue because of that goddamn shrieking every time the bunny starts chasing you. I don't know what it is about this game that I can't stomach at night but it makes every other horror game feel like Toontown Online.

Puppet Combo is pretty good at making viscerally horrifying sound design, if nothing else :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Murder House good