Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So... it looks like they machined new sprues using the Dark Imperium CAD files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think i love splashing everything In nuln oil now, it makes everything look far more accomplished than my meagre skills could hope for

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Managed to finish off another model - my second Herald of Tzeentch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

NGL I'm really disappointed in that combat patrol box, I wish GW would stop putting named characters in these things since I will never need more than one Typhus.

Also it looks like the Lord of Contagion isn't coming back

I pretty much have everything I want for my DG, and I definitely don't want more Poxwalkers so yea kind of a disappointing box.

Oh well, still looking forward to the book and the new Lord and the bong

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah that box is a bummer, poxwalkers are still cheap on eBay and it doesn't seem like they're gonna have a place in most competitive lists barring a major stat overhaul, so making them half the box is pretty lame.

I am glad they're doing that little Champions of Mortarion set though, I missed those the first time around and the hooded Champion looks way cooler than the goofy ones in the box / easy to build kits. And the Lord of Virulence is a nice sculpt too, hopefully he's worth bringing along.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll definitely pick up an LoV either way just to paint / have one.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Still low-key convinced that GW's content goal for those boxed sets for the less common armies is "Good enough that you want to buy one, bad enough once you have one that you don't want to buy another" so that people are pushed towards the more expensive single-unit boxes to fill out the rest of their army. If you like Death Guard and don't have any Death Guard that box is a no-brainer (unless you can find the DG half of DI for cheap, which will be less and less a factor as time goes on). If you like Death Guard and have that box, you probably don't need another thirty poxwalkers and a second Typhus, so time to start putting money down on bloat drones and individual boxes of seven plague marines and things.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 10, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It honestly just looks like an incredibly lazy way to clear out excess stock lol.

Like even the zero-effort option of just reprinting the Dark Imperium DG half would have been infinitely better, especially since so many people wanted a Lord of Contagion and they just apparently are not going to give you any option to get one except converting a Typhus or scouring eBay for overpriced DI ones.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Now that the holidays are over, it's back to work on my Thunderhawk. Here's today's progress:

I built the canopy today and cleaned up some greenstuff sculpting. The canopy took about 4 hours to build because of how careful I had to be with the transparent plastic. If even a little glue gets on it, the whole assembly will be ruined. Also I will be unable to glue the canopy to the fuselage until the cockpit is completed and primed.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It honestly just looks like an incredibly lazy way to clear out excess stock lol.

Like even the zero-effort option of just reprinting the Dark Imperium DG half would have been infinitely better, especially since so many people wanted a Lord of Contagion and they just apparently are not going to give you any option to get one except converting a Typhus or scouring eBay for overpriced DI ones.

I don't think the Combat Patrol boxes are lazy, because I don't think examining corporate actions in the context of "laziness" makes any sense, in the same way that it doesn't make sense to think of corporate budgeting practices in the same terms as household budgeting. I think they're calculated attempts to create evergreen boxes that will serve as effective army intros while squeezing out the absolute maximum possible amount of return for GW. In this case, creating new molds for the Poxwalkers and Chosen of Mortarion stand-alone releases isn't "lazy" at all -- molds are expensive. Any action GW takes that involves the creation of new stainless steel mold tooling is something done with a long planning horizon.

There could be all sorts of spreadsheet-related reasons why they could have decided against reprinting the Dark Imperium DG half. A quick calculation suggests it had a total PL of 35, for example, while this box has a PL of 30 (easly dropped down to 25 if you run it with just five plague marines and twenty poxwalkers). Someone at GW might be looking at the branding on the Combat Patrol boxes and going "These things are branded as combat patrols; we want them to stay as close as possible to 25 PL." I sure hope this isn't the case (because the total PL on that limited Sisters box was 34, and if that's a priority for GW they might retire those molds instead of reusing them for that patrol box, which would suck), but it could be! Would this box have been better with the DI bloat-drone as a centerpiece, and with the DI Lord of Contagion in it for people who want that model? Yes, it would. But I doubt "lol GW is lazy" is the reason why it doesn't.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 10, 2021

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

These poxwalkers are basically a new kit and the plague marines are very in demand for DG players so I'm not sure this is really clearing out stock. I do agree the Dark Imperium or know no fear sets were better balanced though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I do think including special characters in combat patrols should be a no-no, but then again it depends. If you have a special character that you know you pretty much always want to take, an intro box including them sort of makes sense, such as Ahriman in the TS box. I guess you can always use them for conversions but their poses are usually so unique these days it's obvious they are just the special character with different heads or whatever.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

snuggleshrub posted:

These poxwalkers are basically a new kit and the plague marines are very in demand for DG players so I'm not sure this is really clearing out stock. I do agree the Dark Imperium or know no fear sets were better balanced though.

This is a good point. Maybe Typhus and the Biologus Putrifier are in there as a stock-clearing measure if Death Guard players aren't buying named characters in large numbers, but if the majority of the box is seven plague marines and thirty poxwalkers, and the seven plague marines are a known high-demand item and the poxwalkers are a new sprue from a brand new mold, then no, they're not clearing extra stock.

This feels like something that was done for a lot of reasons. Having those ten poxwalkers on their own sprue gives GW flexibility in the future; now if they want to do a Death Guard battleforce or a two-army box like Blood of the Phoenix or Prophecy of the Wolf with Death Guard as half of it, they can fill model count with poxwalkers where they couldn't easily before. That sort of future planning might influence their decisions when deciding what to put in something like a new evergreen product -- "We can do it entirely with existing figures, but if we tool up a new mold for this part of it, then we can also use that new mold for these two other things later."

(I continue to wonder whether they consider the three-man easy to build Intercessor kit a mistake in retrospect, since the five-man easy to build Assault Intercessor kit seems designed for much more flexible utility beyond just putting it in starter boxes.)

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The French Army posted:

Now that the holidays are over, it's back to work on my Thunderhawk. Here's today's progress:

I built the canopy today and cleaned up some greenstuff sculpting. The canopy took about 4 hours to build because of how careful I had to be with the transparent plastic. If even a little glue gets on it, the whole assembly will be ruined. Also I will be unable to glue the canopy to the fuselage until the cockpit is completed and primed.

Even half-finished, this is a thing of beauty.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Six months after buying some, I’ve finally finished—or at least “finished, good enough”—my first DW space marine (and miniature, I guess):

Why has this taken me six months? Well, job and poo poo, but also...he’s got some friends on the ol’ assembly line...

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 11, 2021

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Do they even want fleshtearers in the Deathwatch. I would think once they started to call people Horus and talking about Legions the rest of the DW would kinda back off and say no to those guys in the future 😂.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

MRLOLAST posted:

Do they even want fleshtearers in the Deathwatch. I would think once they started to call people Horus and talking about Legions the rest of the DW would kinda back off and say no to those guys in the future 😂.

Haha lol

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MRLOLAST posted:

Pretty sure that the Bloog Angels/successors and other chapters with a Grim Dark Secret(tm) send the people least likely to blow their secrecy.

It's one of the reasons the Deathwatch RPG works quite well if you're into that sort of thing, because a Blood Angel will struggle with the red thirst and black rage, but ultimately isn't defined by it because they send the more restrained people.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's gotta be an interesting selection process for the Fleshtearers.

*Chaplain glances across field at mass of barely contained beserkers quivering with fury*

"That one's slightly less frothy at the mouth. Eh, he'll do".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Deptfordx posted:

That's gotta be an interesting selection process for the Fleshtearers.

*Chaplain glances across field at mass of barely contained beserkers quivering with fury*

"That one's slightly less frothy at the mouth. Eh, he'll do".

Every single Fleshtearer sent to the Death Watch is a Fleshtearer on his first day at work as a proper space marine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/11/7-of-the-most-gruesome-new-rules-for-the-death-guard/

Gooood neeeews everyone! There's even more Death Guard rules previews for you.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread, finished up my Thousand Sons Chaos Predator today.

Do you mind posting your recipe for the blue? I'm looking for something to use on Deathskull vehicles and really like the color of the blues you use.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

drat. The different attack profiles on the Deathshroud is pretty sweet. Oh and they're even faster now; "The Deathshroud have clearly been doing their cardio, as their heavy Cataphractii Terminator plate no longer slows them down and allows them to advance just as quickly as everyone else."

T4 Pox is cool too I guess. Assuming Typhus keeps his +1S/T aura and we still have Putrescent Vitality then that's some T6 Poxwalkers lol.

Bloat-Drone's Fleshmower used to be +2S / -2AP / 2D and made 6 attacks, but they were 4+ WS. Now 3+ WS but only +1S and 3 attacks... Wonder how the math works out on that.

Wish they told us what Revoltingly Resilient is. -2D down to a minimum of one? Would that be too good?

Overall, I was already looking forward to thumbing through the new 'dex but now I'm bigly excited to see what else is in there.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 11, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sab669 posted:

drat. The different attack profiles on the Deathshroud is pretty sweet. Oh and they're even faster now; "The Deathshroud have clearly been doing their cardio, as their heavy Cataphractii Terminator plate no longer slows them down and allows them to advance just as quickly as everyone else."

T4 Pox is cool too I guess. Assuming Typhus keeps his +1S/T aura and we still have Putrescent Vitality then that's some T6 Poxwalkers lol.

Bloat-Drone's Fleshmower used to be +2S / -2AP / 2D and made 6 attacks, but they were 4+ WS. Now 3+ WS but only +1S and 3 attacks... Wonder how the math works out on that.

Overall, I was already looking forward to thumbing through the new 'dex but now I'm bigly excited to see what else is in there.

At 3 attacks per attack? Its gone from a max of 9 to a max of 12, so in everything but raw S and cost its a pure win.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh I misread. I thought it was "Each time you attack with this weapon, make 6 hits" (so 3 Attacks * 6 = 18). But yea it's when you Fight you can make +6, soo 3+6 was 9. Dang, even cooler :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 11, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sab669 posted:

Oh I misread. I thought it was "Each time you attack with this weapon, make 6 hits" (so 3 Attacks * 6 = 18). But yea it's when you Fight you can make +6, soo 3+6 was 9. Dang, even cooler :)

Yeah, the change caught me off guard becausecI thought it was a nerf. Then I reread and realized, nope, massive buff.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Chaos lords as tough as plague marines, it only took them 4 editions to catch up :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Still sad I don't click with with DG models cause these rules previews are real exciting

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Eej posted:

Still sad I don't click with with DG models cause these rules previews are real exciting

Same. The rules almost made me get some; but when I think about painting the models, I'm meh about it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

Wish they told us what Revoltingly Resilient is. -2D down to a minimum of one? Would that be too good?

I reckon -1D and a 5+++.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If I thought I'd enjoy painting legions and legions of poo poo covered, rust encrusted, maggoty cysts for hours on end I'd jump into the deep end of Nurgles chosen cesspool in a heart beat.

It just never appealed to me for some reason?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

AndyElusive posted:

If I thought I'd enjoy painting legions and legions of poo poo covered, rust encrusted, maggoty cysts for hours on end I'd jump into the deep end of Nurgles chosen cesspool in a heart beat.

Get a bunch of Mark III marines and 40k death guard upgrades and go to town. For bonus points, use the pre-Mortarion Dusk Raiders scheme.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Same. Those models are all so incredibly detailed. Putting 2000 pts together would take ages.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Deathshroud seem absolutely nuts now.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I just don't like the disease and putrification theme. Like..who would want to be sick. Health is the greatest thing. The rules seem great though and they seem like they will be kryptonite vs Marines . I think Crons will give them trouble though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MRLOLAST posted:

I just don't like the disease and putrification theme. Like..who would want to be sick. Health is the greatest thing. The rules seem great though and they seem like they will be kryptonite vs Marines . I think Crons will give them trouble though.

Yeah I don't understand the attraction of the gross smelly boys but people seem to like them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

get a bunch of normal marines and just paint them like DG

grab yourself a Great Clean One

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Your definition of "clean" needs revisioning, brah.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
dunno, get some suds, a brush, and a rubber duckie on the base and you've got a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Honestly that model is a lot more upsetting to me than the Great Unclean One lmao.

Some of the models are extremely cool, some less so. I mostly just appreciate the play style.

Also not that there are any The Good Guys in Warhammer, but I'd say the Imperium is obviously the most "relatable" and I'm a nonconformist therefore I must play Chaos.

And Blood For the Blood God is really boring and uninspiring to me. Thousand Sons, I don't love the Egyptian aesthetic or Wizard poo poo. And Slaneesh... The new models actually all kick rear end but gently caress painting flesh.

So it's basically Nurgle or vanilla Chaos and the latter just doesn't appeal to me