Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally beat Doom Aeatearnale and it was...it was good. The level I was stuck on was a low point of design but the final two levels both storming the Makyr's world and fighting through ruined buildings to get to the endboss were definitely steps up. The final boss was an unfun slog but I'd heard that going in so I was mostly ready for it. Considering how I limped my way through this one I'm probably not ready for the DLC which sounds like it's an even bigger difficulty leap but maybe someday...

Part of me wants to go back and get all the disks so I can play the original on Doomguy's old PC but for whatever reason I always have a hard time replaying missions on linear games like this just to scrounge up stuff I missed, I dunno :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The DLC isn’t too difficult tbh, I was expecting it to be a nightmare based on posts here but apart from the very final boss fight I flew through it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

Part of me wants to go back and get all the disks so I can play the original on Doomguy's old PC but for whatever reason I always have a hard time replaying missions on linear games like this just to scrounge up stuff I missed, I dunno :shrug:

For some dumb reason Doom Eternal has intra-level checkpoints you can teleport but but only in the same session in which you cleared the level, so going around getting all the collectibles is actually a huge pain in the rear end if you didn't do it over the course of the first campaign run.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

haveblue posted:

For some dumb reason Doom Eternal has intra-level checkpoints you can teleport but but only in the same session in which you cleared the level, so going around getting all the collectibles is actually a huge pain in the rear end if you didn't do it over the course of the first campaign run.

That's weird

It's also weird how you can use an extremely finite resource (batteries) to unlock rooms that will give you way more bountiful resources (armor tokens) that you can easily max out way before the end of the game making the ones you haven't opened yet redundant

Some real two-steps-forward, one-step-back game design at times

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Stuck between watching tim rogers or a super meat boy speedrun

https://clips.twitch.tv/WanderingBlazingClintSwiftRage

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Have you tried Doom 64 ? That’s also excellent

I did buy it and will go through it at some point! I was feeling a little burnt out and needed to play some different genres after all that haha.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s really cool, probably my favourite of the older games. It feels like a mix between Doom and Quake

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Wolfsheim posted:

Considering how I limped my way through this one I'm probably not ready for the DLC which sounds like it's an even bigger difficulty leap but maybe someday...

i played doom eternal when it came out right after marathoning doom '16 in about a week just to get myself prepared. i was surprised at the difficulty spike and needed to turn it down a notch from what i played on '16

but then when the DLC came out i went ahead and cranked it back up a notch and, while difficult, it wasn't anywhere near impossible. the game does a really fantastic job at forcing you to get better at it as you go through it. the DLC is really amazing so i say go for it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I put his PacMan review on while my wife and I were falling asleep the other night, and then yesterday after I'd been watching/listening to his review of Tokimeki Memorial off and on during the day while doing chores or whatever she said I should feel free to watch it on the TV in the evening while she was browsing the internet - she clearly was intrigued by the PacMan review but didn't want to admit to watching a review of a dating sim yet.

But anyway, my point was she ended up paying a lot of attention to it but when after the first interlude she was like "who's that guy? His editor or something?" "No, that's the same guy." "What." TBF Tim Rogers does go through some looks but she is really bad with telling dudes apart.

Not long after she told me she thought it was stupid that I was talking about watching a 3 hour review of PacMan but she ended up really enjoying the parts of the two reviews she saw because "he's actually much more engaging than you think he would be."

I would urge any goons who are reluctant to watch the Action Button reviews to give them a try. They're pretty great.

Relatedly I'm near the end of Doom 2016 now and that game has been a blast.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

A friend of mine recently got a PS5 and said to me that as he no longer needs it, that he is going to give me his PS4 Pro.

I've not had a PlayStation in quite some time, what are the go to games nowadays and are there any tips or tricks I should know?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Lucas Archer posted:

my first real combat is against three random dudes in an alleyway - I had no idea who they were or why I was fighting them, but I guess I had to kill those three dudes now.

I am very late to this as I haven't had time to read this thread in the last few days but I'm now wondering why the dudes who once mugged me IRL didn't spout exposition at me as to why they were mugging me. :confused:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

A friend of mine recently got a PS5 and said to me that as he no longer needs it, that he is going to give me his PS4 Pro.

I've not had a PlayStation in quite some time, what are the go to games nowadays and are there any tips or tricks I should know?

What sort of games do you enjoy?
My favourite exclusive PS4 games were

God of War
Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
Last of Us 2
Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy
The Last Guardian
Death Stranding
Until Dawn

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was in a similar situation to you a year ago, and had a great time with Bloodborne, Spiderman 2018, and TLoU2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Akuma posted:

she clearly was intrigued by the PacMan review but didn't want to admit to watching a review of a dating sim yet.

Words cannot describe how much this rules.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played an obscene amount of Cyberpunk this weekend. It’s incredible, maybe my favourite open world game. Even the smallest little side quest has loads of flavour to it.

Also a few months back there was this article about how the game treated trans people as nothing but sex objects and that there was no presenting trans people in the game and the devs were just paying lip service by letting you pick whatever genitals on your body. Well, quelle surprise, it turns out that was absolutely false because there’s a whole quest line where you meet a trans person and she has a big trans pride flag on her car. She mentions it in dialogue so it’s not one of these minor things in an email. Good to see.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Played an obscene amount of Cyberpunk this weekend. It’s incredible, maybe my favourite open world game. Even the smallest little side quest has loads of flavour to it.

Also a few months back there was this article about how the game treated trans people as nothing but sex objects and that there was no presenting trans people in the game and the devs were just paying lip service by letting you pick whatever genitals on your body. Well, quelle surprise, it turns out that was absolutely false because there’s a whole quest line where you meet a trans person and she has a big trans pride flag on her car. She mentions it in dialogue so it’s not one of these minor things in an email. Good to see.

There seems to be a big difference between the game and the marketing. The game does have the manticore poster that shouldn’t be in there but other than that there seems to be nothing anti-trans. There are complaints about not having a non-binary option but I do think there was a language barrier to this - having to record basically another third of the dialogue for they them in different languages where it doesn’t work as easily as it does in English. I can’t tell you if that’s a good reason tho, I’m not informed enough

The Twitter account tho ooh Jesus. The most broke brained “how do you do fellow gamers” Musk style edge lord shitposting.

:Edit: at the same time there does seem to only be one trans character

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would rather die than go back on Twitter. I detest that site with a passion.

The game desperately needs a proper manual or something, there’s so much stuff in it that’s poorly explained. Like it’s mad they decided to include a little world book with a few little details on factions but no basic info like how to drive, how crafting works, cyberware mods.... there’s a ton of RPG stuff in it that could have been way better on-boarded.

I did an underwater mission earlier and nearly had a panic attack thinking there was gonna be radioactive giant fish 😰

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I talked poo poo about the Pac Man review and then loved it. I've watched the whole Action Button channel now and can confirm it is in fact, very, very good.
The highlights for me is when he says something that sounds like a shitpost, and then in an hour he says it again and it makes perfect sense. Stuff like "Pac-Man has come a long way since itself" or "TLOU is non-violent", and the like 3 mentioned in the Doom one and... then with peak weaponized Hunter S Thompsonitude gets there. It owns.

E: I haven't watched Tokimeki yet.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 11, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

It'll be so as not to break progression triggers. Yes it is the most idiot-proof way to do it and there are smarter ways to design this sort of thing.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's what I've noticed. I've finished DS1 2 and 3, and got to the Witch in Bloodborne so I know Souls combat, and it feels like a clunky version of that. I was expecting something more like what I found in the witcher 3.

Ps4 really don't like it if the power goes off when they're in rest mode. I came back to a very strongly worded screen about turning the power off properly.

Your PS4's trying to actively hold state on a lot of data, and you made that data go away so it has to try real hard not to execute garbage arbitrarily coming back from that.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There is a Tim Rogers review somewhere on youtube where he laments his career while he reviews some dumb game and it's a strange and uncomfortable. Most of his reviews are an excuse to talk about himself but this one was just depressing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Aidan_702 posted:

:Edit: at the same time there does seem to only be one trans character

How, uh, would you know? Sounds more like there's only one who tells you. With anyone else why would they tell you?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Casnorf posted:

How, uh, would you know? Sounds more like there's only one who tells you. With anyone else why would they tell you?

You can't give the game credit for hypothetical inclusion, dude

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

That was a criticism of the poster and their assumption that anyone owes them an id, not a credit to the game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i flop around the streets yelling I AM A FISH at all and sundry just so they know they are free to be a dick to me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Casnorf posted:

i flop around the streets yelling I AM A FISH at all and sundry just so they know they are free to be a dick to me

yeah i'm playing maneater too

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

they will be a dick to me either way

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

yeah i'm playing maneater too

it is a very silly game I enjoy irregularly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Happy Hedonist posted:

There is a Tim Rogers review somewhere on youtube where he laments his career while he reviews some dumb game and it's a strange and uncomfortable. Most of his reviews are an excuse to talk about himself but this one was just depressing.

That’s actually one of the (pathetic) reasons I don’t always want to watch his reviews: they highlight my own failures.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Happy Hedonist posted:

I think this is my biggest complaint after watching the first hour or so of the tokimeki review. I totally do not need to hear this dudes entire life story

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish he'd just focus on being a beloved gaming figure among many people. That's a nice achievement.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your PS4's trying to actively hold state on a lot of data, and you made that data go away so it has to try real hard not to execute garbage arbitrarily coming back from that.

Yes but I didn't do it! I left it in rest mode so the controller would be charged and the power went out for just enough time to reset the clocks. I'd hope it could tell the difference between unplugging it and the power going out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Yes but I didn't do it! I left it in rest mode so the controller would be charged and the power went out for just enough time to reset the clocks. I'd hope it could tell the difference between unplugging it and the power going out.

It has no external reference for what's delivering power to it, so power off is power off as far as it's concerned. The only way it would know the difference between "the power flickered" and "some dumbass yanked the cord" is with something up the chain able to tell the PS4 "incoming mains power is normal" right when its own diagnostics log says it lost power.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 11, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd hope it could tell the difference between unplugging it and the power going out.

But there is no difference.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

How do you propose this work exactly?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Casnorf posted:

ah, the jk rowling defense

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Oh hey you guys are still talking about Tim Rogers!

It took a few days but I finally watched the whole dating sim vid because people were talking about it and it sounded interesting. Took me awhile to work out if the game was good or if he was doing some type of 'The Onion Reviews' bit... still not sure if the answer isn't both. All over, it was a pretty decent watch. Since people are still talking about him I gotta question to someone that might have watched his other stuff.

At around 4 hours in he tells a story about a coworker in Japan he befriended and stayed in contact with "until one day on September 15th 2013" and then did that gag where you cut off the story which I thought was the end of that but then he repeated the story twice and never concluded it. What was up with that? Was that a running gag in the show I didn't get because I haven't watched the other videos? Does anyone know what he was trying to do with that joke?

The Neal! fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 11, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

fridge corn posted:

I think this is my biggest complaint after watching the first hour or so of the tokimeki review. I totally do not need to hear this dudes entire life story

Yeah, I had another go at Pac Mac this morning and no, he definitely does not respect the viewer's time at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone who clicks on a six hour YouTube video about an anime dating sim doesn’t deserve to have their time respected imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who knew so many goons were into chronodom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t believe this guy is disrespecting the viewer’s time by forcing them to watch his video and not allowing them to click off if they’re not enjoying it, even though many do!