Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Who knew so many goons were into chronodom.

Some people play games like FF14 or Destiny 2, that should have been a hint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

*throwing money at patreon* Oooh yeah baby, disrespect my time some more. Tell me your theories of how Dark Souls is part of the Super Monkey Ball extended universe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can’t wait to play Cyberpunk again once I finish it and do the other intros. Reminds me of how I played the start of Dragon Age 1 six (??) times because each race had a different opening level. Very cool.
Also picking the opposite choices of what I did this time. I wonder if there’s an NG+

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone who clicks on a six hour YouTube video about an anime dating sim doesn’t deserve to have their time respected imo

This is the absolute truth lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of time respecting, I played through the first chapter of Sakura Wars and it took me about two hours, very slow start with a lot of padding but it's something I just expect from most Sega story games these days lol

I knew that it was probably going to be Very Anime but I didn't know that it was Literally an Anime Series down to there being a "next time on..." segment at the end of the chapter. The actual fight gameplay seems pretty generic right now, hopefully it will improve as things develop?

I guess I could be playing 13 Sentinels instead but I'm not that familiar with the mech anime genre, maybe starting with something that's playing things straight will make me better appreciate however 13S is subverting things

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t believe this guy is disrespecting the viewer’s time by forcing them to watch his video and not allowing them to click off if they’re not enjoying it, even though many do!

This is totally misrepresenting the argument. The dude does have interesting and insightful things to say that many ppl would like to hear, however, and even despite breaking his videos up into chapters, you end up having to sit through a lot of fluff to get to the good parts.

I do want to hear about how the game was received in Japan and elsewhere at the time (that NYT article he found was interesting). I do want to hear how some big deal video game developers spent time developing similar games earlier in their careers. I DON'T want to hear how he once went to lunch with a girl he had a crush on in high school 20 years after the fact. Theres no toggle to turn off the irrelevant content

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

This is totally misrepresenting the argument.

No, it's not. The argument is dumb as hell and many people have already stated this!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fridge corn posted:

Theres no toggle to turn off the irrelevant content

it's called welcome to my ignore list!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was impressed by him remembering the exact order they had on that day, superior autobiographical memory is a wild thing

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
...pleease....no more.....tim rogers....is tooo looongg....I am dying here.... :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can’t wait to play Cyberpunk again once I finish it and do the other intros. Reminds me of how I played the start of Dragon Age 1 six (??) times because each race had a different opening level. Very cool.
Also picking the opposite choices of what I did this time. I wonder if there’s an NG+

I can't wait to see what's next. They have an incredible (if sometimes messy) platform to build on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

VideoGames posted:

...pleease....no more.....tim rogers....is tooo looongg....I am dying here.... :negative:

hosed up that this argument has been going on for as long as a Tim Rogers video

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

You can cut down on time spent watching Tim Rogers videos by watching them all at the same time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This all made me think of this post:

JBP posted:

I wish he'd just focus on being a beloved gaming figure among many people. That's a nice achievement.

This is like literally what he does? He makes the videos he wants to make for the people who want to watch them, and doesn’t have any interest in the people who don’t. He makes a shitload of money from Patreon so it’s not like he needs to reach the people who don’t like the videos or think they’re too long or have too much superfluous stuff. He lives basically entirely within his own niche.

Which is why this whole debate is so silly, really!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I can't wait to see what's next. They have an incredible (if sometimes messy) platform to build on.

If it’s anything like their dlc for Witcher 3 then I’d be very excited :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Neal! posted:

At around 4 hours in he tells a story about a coworker in Japan he befriended and stayed in contact with "until one day on September 15th 2013" and then did that gag where you cut off the story which I thought was the end of that but then he repeated the story twice and never concluded it. What was up with that? Was that a running gag in the show I didn't get because I haven't watched the other videos? Does anyone know what he was trying to do with that joke?

nobody knows, at first i thought he was referring to his :( friend who killed herself, but now I think that happened much earlier

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Time Ragers

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

fridge corn posted:

This is totally misrepresenting the argument. The dude does have interesting and insightful things to say that many ppl would like to hear, however, and even despite breaking his videos up into chapters, you end up having to sit through a lot of fluff to get to the good parts.

I do want to hear about how the game was received in Japan and elsewhere at the time (that NYT article he found was interesting). I do want to hear how some big deal video game developers spent time developing similar games earlier in their careers. I DON'T want to hear how he once went to lunch with a girl he had a crush on in high school 20 years after the fact. Theres no toggle to turn off the irrelevant content

Yeah, this is what I meant (and my last post about him made that clear).

I am quite happy to listen to/watch long form documentaries on rather arcane subjects, and I don't even mind tangents! Robert Caro, probably my favourite non-fiction author, thinks nothing of stopping his biographies and devoting a long chapter (like an hour plus in an audiobook) to fill you in on relatively minor historical figures like Al Smith or Coke Stephenson, and it works because it's interesting, well-told, and relevant to the topic. The aforementioned nearly 4 hour series on the Mariners does the same, but again, it's either funny or it adds to the narrative. Tim Rogers rambles about his personal life at length, which IMO adds little to nothing to what I want to know about the topic. If you're interested in Tim Rogers, great! But it's dumb to act like not enjoying his videos means you have a short attention span or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I'm struggling to find the relevance of Tim Rogers describing his encounter with a high school crush years after the fact, directly juxtaposed with him reflecting on the experience of playing a game about high school romance years after the fact, directly linked to a quote from the designer saying the game is a reflection of things they wanted to do when they were high schoolers but didn't do, years after the fact

Seems like irrelevant padding to me for sure

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

if you're only watching part of the TokiMemo review, you will never in a trillion years experience the review. you'll think you've experienced it, but you'll be...cheated. it's such a sadness, that you think you've seen a review without watching six hours of loving content. get real.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I'm struggling to find the relevance of Tim Rogers describing his encounter with a high school crush years after the fact, directly juxtaposed with him reflecting on the experience of playing a game about high school romance years after the fact, directly linked to a quote from the designer saying the game is a reflection of things they wanted to do when they were high schoolers but didn't do, years after the fact

:emptyquote:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

if you're only watching part of the TokiMemo review, you will never in a trillion years experience the review. you'll think you've experienced it, but you'll be...cheated. it's such a sadness, that you think you've seen a review without watching six hours of loving content. get real.

Lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Taking a break from Tim Rogers videos to watch a 4 hour Dan Rykert Banjo and Kazooie stream

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I dont remember who it was exactly during this discussion (I think it was Imhotep?) who recommended the Bad End podcast, anyway I just wanted to say that I listened to their most recent episode and thought it was good enough to add it to my standard rotation. Thanks for the rec 👍

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alright folks time to play a game. How much of zip tie terrorist's PS4 disc collection can we identify.

I'm definitely seeing doom and probably Doom eternal towards the front as well as uncharted collection.It's hard to tell with the crappy photo and his leg blocking it, but I think towards the back he also owns Head exploded on a prison toilet 2021 simulator. How abstract are your box identifying skills PS4 thread?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of time respecting, I played through the first chapter of Sakura Wars and it took me about two hours, very slow start with a lot of padding but it's something I just expect from most Sega story games these days lol

I knew that it was probably going to be Very Anime but I didn't know that it was Literally an Anime Series down to there being a "next time on..." segment at the end of the chapter. The actual fight gameplay seems pretty generic right now, hopefully it will improve as things develop?

I guess I could be playing 13 Sentinels instead but I'm not that familiar with the mech anime genre, maybe starting with something that's playing things straight will make me better appreciate however 13S is subverting things

No you've literally seen everything there is to the combat apart uh super moves I think, you should have just played the incredibly good 13 Sentinels instead of the kinda meh Sakura Wars reboot. Also it's been an anime series for over 20 years lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like I get it but I also think the developers statement is kinda obvious and doesn't require that sort of extrapolation to make sense of it. That anecdote is definitely something that would have wound up on the cutting floor if he had any kind of editor

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fridge corn you need an editor for your videogame purchase

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:chanpop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

No you've literally seen everything there is to the combat apart uh super moves I think, you should have just played the incredibly good 13 Sentinels instead of the kinda meh Sakura Wars reboot. Also it's been an anime series for over 20 years lol

well all the other mugens aside from Sakura's are better than the main dudes but other than the team attacks that's basically it yeah

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hehe

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

at first i was mad about the Tim Rogers video existing, then I thought I'd give it a chance, and now somehow I'm 2 hours in and it seems like it justifies its existence and he's doing a good job.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Casnorf posted:

How, uh, would you know? Sounds more like there's only one who tells you. With anyone else why would they tell you?

I get your point and almost said that myself but realised 'THE TRANS CHARACTERS COULD BE ANYONE WOHOHO' is not equal to inclusion and representation

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

I just finished Sentinel 13 and just started Sakura Wars last night as the follow-up. :(

Honestly I feel the same way about the first chapter but I want to believe in this game so bad. At the least it got me glancing back at taking another run at finishing Nier: Automata.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 11, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

New Sakura Wars is good, op

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

veni veni veni posted:

Alright folks time to play a game. How much of zip tie terrorist's PS4 disc collection can we identify.

I'm definitely seeing doom and probably Doom eternal towards the front as well as uncharted collection.It's hard to tell with the crappy photo and his leg blocking it, but I think towards the back he also owns Head exploded on a prison toilet 2021 simulator. How abstract are your box identifying skills PS4 thread?

Why does he look like the new racist wojak

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Aidan_702 posted:

I get your point and almost said that myself but realised 'THE TRANS CHARACTERS COULD BE ANYONE WOHOHO' is not equal to inclusion and representation

Yeah, it's a tough situation to be in. Nobody owes anyone an id check but at the same time it's hard to be represented if you don't know. I hate to bring irrelevant personal experience into a genuine discussion of a real issue but even if we're reasonably close I'm unclear how a person's various gender and sexual states are my business if that aspect of our relationship isn't a thing. You're a person, and any other information is at your discretion, not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's pretty clear to me that there was a directive for the level/city designers to keep vertical traversal in mind when building the districts. Or rather the way in which they assembled the city and the elements they used (like the ever present ACs or beams connecting buildings), naturally enabled vertical platforming without the need for handcrafted parkour routes.

You can practically always find a way up onto a roof, or onto another building without touching the ground. There's often not much point to doing so besides the personal challenge, and you'll find assets that clearly weren't meant to be seen up close, as well as the rare invisible wall, but the philosophy seems to have been to be build the geometry in a climb-friendly manner and leave it up to the player to do with or ignore as they please.

Sometimes you'll find loot up there, sometimes a quest (those are marked anyway, but I try to play without the minimap), sometimes it'll make a mission easier, but besides that I just like exploring the spaces they've created.