Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crystalgemini
Nov 8, 2020

Hasselblad posted:

Isn't goose like really really oily/greasy?

It definitely can be. Thinking most of it will render out in the smoking process though. That's the hope anyway!

Smoked a 2-1/4" porterhouse and 1" pork chops day after Christmas (I was out-voted in favor of beef Wellington for Christmas dinner 🙄):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got a good Keilbasa recipe? The sausage is already made, I was just wondering about cook temps and time. Surprisingly Amazing Ribs does not have one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My google skills fail me:

How much wood chips \ pellets should I feed into a smoker (per hour? per... meat quantity?)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The first 30-60 minutes of your smoke are really the only point in which your food is absorbing smoke flavor, so time of the smoke really isn't a factor. The exact amount is gonna vary a lot based on what type of smoker you're using, what wood you're using, what food you're cooking and how strong of a flavor you want, etc, but I have a kamado style grill and when I am doing a smoke I typically just add three or four palm sized hunks of wood and maybe a small handful of wood chips with my charcoal when I start the fire and that typically yields good results for me.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

um excuse me posted:

Anyone got a good Keilbasa recipe? The sausage is already made, I was just wondering about cook temps and time. Surprisingly Amazing Ribs does not have one.

Probably too late to be much help, but... I usually default to either the green Marianski book or Hank Shaw's website as a base for most of my sausage cooks, and they've turned out pretty well. For Kielbasa Hank recommends cooking to 155F. I usually set my smoker around 170 or so and it's about a 3 hour cook, but your mileage may vary.

I have a cheapo electric smoker that wants to swing really hot even when I'm using an external thermostat to regulate it or a water pan (which I can't do in winter, if it's really cold out I'll get condensation inside the smoker and creosote dripping on my beautiful meat babies. So you might want to adjust that temp based on your preference.

Once it hits 155, ice bath, then hang to dry. Then I'll arrange them in my spare fridge for maximum airflow to dry and mellow for a couple more days before I vacpack and freeze.

How'd yours end up turning out?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

My google skills fail me:

How much wood chips \ pellets should I feed into a smoker (per hour? per... meat quantity?)

Bluedeanie posted:

The first 30-60 minutes of your smoke are really the only point in which your food is absorbing smoke flavor, so time of the smoke really isn't a factor. The exact amount is gonna vary a lot based on what type of smoker you're using, what wood you're using, what food you're cooking and how strong of a flavor you want, etc, but I have a kamado style grill and when I am doing a smoke I typically just add three or four palm sized hunks of wood and maybe a small handful of wood chips with my charcoal when I start the fire and that typically yields good results for me.

Nah. Smoke flavor keeps being absorbed, deposited and building in the bark as long as smoke is present. The conventional wisdom was “smoke flavor stops at around 140f” for a long time, but that seems to have been both the wrong temp and also just based on the smoke ring, which is separate from flavor anyway.

According to Meathead:

“There is no time limit on smoke absorption. The ring stops when the meat hits about 170°F and myoglobin loses its oxygen retaining ability, not 140°F. Salt has little to do with it. Some people think it does because it is right below the surface and that is where the spices and smoke flavors live. They are fooled by the bark.”

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been pretty consistently getting a dryer result than I've wanted. I do pork butts and tri-tips. This is between smoking in my pizza oven as well as my Slow-And-Sear. I actually think I might be cooking at too low of a temperature and having it just run on too long. I had a 4 pound tri-tip take something like nine hours but it was also going in more of the 210F-225F range. I'm thinking of bumping that up first for the next attempt before getting into other stuff like fussing more over the meat itself.

Also, I do let the meat rest before cutting, so I'm not wading in a puddle when I prep the meat. It looks like I'm starting out dry before I even start to cut/pull it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I love the special meat section where the butchers toss the imperfect high end stuff.
Grabbed what few were there and already vac sealed and tossed in the freezer.
Guessing $14.39/lb is a decent price?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you like meat that's about to turn green, sure.

I'm kidding. I'm sure it's fine. Enjoy!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Murgos posted:

If you like meat that's about to turn green, sure.

I'm kidding. I'm sure it's fine. Enjoy!

Hah, we live near some uber rich people and big ticket stuff like this lands in the "REDUCED" bin pretty often, especially after holidays. Age rarely has anything to do with it. Besides, I typically rub with salt/pepper and toss on a rack in my fridge for a week prior to cooking them. Green is the best flavor!
I find there is such a thing as "too fresh" as far as steaks are concerned.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

So I cooked a turkey for my second ever cook on my kamado, and while the meat was OK, the skin took on an unpleasant amount of smoke flavour. There was a LOT of acrid smoke during the cook. What did I do wrong? I used indirect heat and put an empty aluminium foil drip pan under the turkey, but it seemed like anything that touched that pan carbonised.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wachter posted:

So I cooked a turkey for my second ever cook on my kamado, and while the meat was OK, the skin took on an unpleasant amount of smoke flavour. There was a LOT of acrid smoke during the cook. What did I do wrong? I used indirect heat and put an empty aluminium foil drip pan under the turkey, but it seemed like anything that touched that pan carbonised.
Was the bird directly on the drip pan? Normally when I smoke anything, I stick the drip pan/water pan on top of the heat deflector, and then put my grates on top of that, so the meat is getting air circulation on all sides and away from anything being directly heated (like the deflector from the coals).

What temperature were you running at? And how much wood did you throw on? If the smoke is acrid and too smoky, it probably means you had a problem with the fire itself more than the cooking technique. It could also be the seasonings you put on. Onion, garlic, and herbs can char during a smoke and just taste burned instead of imparting flavor.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Infinite Karma posted:

Was the bird directly on the drip pan?

Nope, it was set up like this:

quote:

Normally when I smoke anything, I stick the drip pan/water pan on top of the heat deflector, and then put my grates on top of that, so the meat is getting air circulation on all sides and away from anything being directly heated (like the deflector from the coals).

quote:

What temperature were you running at?

I don't think it went above 300°F

quote:

And how much wood did you throw on?

None.

quote:

If the smoke is acrid and too smoky, it probably means you had a problem with the fire itself more than the cooking technique. It could also be the seasonings you put on. Onion, garlic, and herbs can char during a smoke and just taste burned instead of imparting flavor.

Just olive oil, salt & pepper.

Now that I think about it, it was probably because I didn't leave enough time between lighting the coals and starting the cook. I should have waiting for the coals to turn mostly white, right?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
If there's a lot of acrid smoke it could mean that your fire is too big and too cool. A smaller, hotter fire burns the wood more completely and produces a cleaner, less acrid smoke.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Stalizard posted:

If there's a lot of acrid smoke it could mean that your fire is too big and too cool. A smaller, hotter fire burns the wood more completely and produces a cleaner, less acrid smoke.

Oh word, so too much coal possibly?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wachter posted:

Now that I think about it, it was probably because I didn't leave enough time between lighting the coals and starting the cook. I should have waiting for the coals to turn mostly white, right?

Wait how long did you wait before lighting and putting the bird on?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Were the drippings burning on the drip pan? I've had the burnt drippings cause a little too much "burnt smoke" flavor to the skin of a chicken I was rotisserie-ing. Now I put the drippings catch (folded aluminum foil or a small metal bowl) on small bowl of water to prevent that.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dango Bango posted:

Wait how long did you wait before lighting and putting the bird on?

I can't exactly remember, but it almost certainly wasn't long enough. There was still plenty of thick blue smoke coming out of the top vent :doh:

El Jebus posted:

Were the drippings burning on the drip pan? I've had the burnt drippings cause a little too much "burnt smoke" flavor to the skin of a chicken I was rotisserie-ing. Now I put the drippings catch (folded aluminum foil or a small metal bowl) on small bowl of water to prevent that.

Yes, they were completely carbonised. I'm going to try this next time, thanks.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah I can only think of two things: dirty smoke (or too much wood smoke from too many chunks) or your fat drippings were burning off. I put water in my drip pans simply to keep the fat from smoking a ton on the heat deflector.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Coincidentally I happened to try this for the first time tonight and it tastes like my hosed-up turkey skin

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The coals don't need to be completely white in the whole basket on a kamado, that would be way above the smoking temperature, you just need the ones you lit to be all the way lit. If you can see thick smoke, it isn't lit all the way and isn't ready. For reference, I usually light the basket, wait about 15 mins with vents fully open, and then stir the coals a little and add wood chunks as I close the vents to hit my target temp. Probably 10 more minutes of dialing in my vents before putting the meat on. Any faster than that and the smoke is nasty.

Maybe it's my mistake, but I also never add any oil to meat that I'm smoking (especially olive oil with a very low smoke point). At best it will drip off and do nothing in the heat, at worst it will burn and give that burnt smoke taste, or burnt oil taste if it burns before it drips. If any fat gets added, it's in a glaze at the very end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've been pretty consistently getting a dryer result than I've wanted. I do pork butts and tri-tips. This is between smoking in my pizza oven as well as my Slow-And-Sear. I actually think I might be cooking at too low of a temperature and having it just run on too long. I had a 4 pound tri-tip take something like nine hours but it was also going in more of the 210F-225F range. I'm thinking of bumping that up first for the next attempt before getting into other stuff like fussing more over the meat itself.

Also, I do let the meat rest before cutting, so I'm not wading in a puddle when I prep the meat. It looks like I'm starting out dry before I even start to cut/pull it.

the real answer here is to stop trying to "smoke" tri-tip and treat it like the roast that it is.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What temp are you targeting internally for smoking a tritip? If it’s above like 140 you’re definitely drying the poo poo out of it. I’m guessing if you went 9 hours you were targeting 200-205. Pull the thing at steak range temperature

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

BraveUlysses posted:

the real answer here is to stop trying to "smoke" tri-tip and treat it like the roast that it is.

Or the answer is to treat it like a steak. Smoke it hot (275 to 300) and let it get to the temp youd eat your steak. Then slice across the grain after a 10 to 15 minute rest.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ZombieCrew posted:

Or the answer is to treat it like a steak. Smoke it hot (275 to 300) and let it get to the temp youd eat your steak. Then slice across the grain after a 10 to 15 minute rest.
I do pretty much exactly this. I pull it 10 degrees below target temp, then crank up the heat to sear it for the last 10 degrees. Usually takes about 60-90 minutes.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, tri-tip sousvide then smoked/seared is one thing, but simply smoked till cooked... not so much.

As far as butts are concerned, I have had picnic roasts that refuse to turn out well, shreddable and moist, even if I foil at the stall. Some pigs are just tough.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Was getting set up for a smoke and it occurred to me y'all might be interested in what passes as a pork shoulder in Japan. I get this from a combination retail/restaurant supply place, its intended purpose is to be sliced for katsu.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Interesting. That's a kata (かた/肩), right?
Here that's a pork loin and exactly what we'd also use for katsu/pork chops.

I thought that the cut used for Yakibuta or kata rosu (かたロース)was shoulder/butt/bbq material.

Apologies for my possible butchering of japanese.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 10, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Stringent posted:

Was getting set up for a smoke and it occurred to me y'all might be interested in what passes as a pork shoulder in Japan. I get this from a combination retail/restaurant supply place, its intended purpose is to be sliced for katsu.

When you say “passes as”, how do you mean? Pulled pork? Do they not sell the shoulder sections?
That piece looks like a loin.

Amazon, what the heck is going on there.
I have been eyeing meat slicers for some time now, and quickly learned that 90% of them are chinese junk, many of which are identical junk with brand name stickers changed. If course each one is fake upvoted to a comical level.

There is one of actual quality that caught my eye, and the normal price hovers just below $300. However outside of brief periods where it is available at that price range, there are blatant Ukrainian resellers buying up the limited stock, and reposting them at a 100% markup. It is bad enough with the volume of abysmal poo poo to dig through to find quality items, but for the actual decent items to be gouge-flipped like this is maddening.

My wife just happened to be browsing during a short break on friday, and noted that the slicer was suddenly listed at the proper price, but as a pre-order for February. I had her jump on it. By the time I got home from the errand I was running, all had been bought up, and a third Ukrainian reseller had appeared, again at a 100% markup for February delivery.

There are now FOUR flippers loving with this item
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQH636Q?pf_rd_r=DXGPHZJ5STKHFGW18A3W&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 10, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Instead of Amazon, try a restaurant supply shop.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Unless you are looking for cheap imitations or down right counterfeits of an item, don’t buy from Amazon. I’ve received dupes of items sold/shipped from Amazon themselves

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Instead of Amazon, try a restaurant supply shop.

Those lean toward the more commercial end of the spectrum. The model I targeted is a great midrange. It's not just slicers, mind you. I have the same thing happening with the specific guitar strings I use. Amazon is a mess of flippers now.

A solid review from a smoker fella:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2iprHLYScU

Bob A Feet posted:

Unless you are looking for cheap imitations or down right counterfeits of an item, don’t buy from Amazon. I’ve received dupes of items sold/shipped from Amazon themselves

Trust me, I do a poo poo ton of research these days, and I do not hesitate for a moment to bounce an item back via the free returns if it is not 100% kosher.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Last summer when the lockdowns were well underway, somee restaurant suppliers (at least here in Chicago) started selling at consumer levels to boost sagging sales. It's worth checking for any clearances or discounts.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Stringent posted:

Does themeatguy have any? Or are they just super expensive / poo poo quality?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Are you in Europe? (hence the ukrainian interference)

Id just grab that part number and google any nearby retailers for it or maybe try ordering direct.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

X13Fen posted:

Does themeatguy have any? Or are they just super expensive / poo poo quality?

Only sells 1kg blocks it looks like. I stopped shopping with them years ago, the prices are just ridiculous.

Hasselblad posted:

When you say “passes as”, how do you mean? Pulled pork? Do they not sell the shoulder sections?
That piece looks like a loin.

Yeah I'm making NC style BBQ out of it. It is labeled as 肩ロース which means shoulder roast. It's a lot leaner than a butt, but it comes out well enough, that fat cap goes a long way to keeping it moist.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on the Inkbird IBT-4XS Bluetooth thermometer?

The one review I've seen rated them comparable with the Weber iGrill 2, and they're much cheaper than my next choice (Thermoworks Smoke). A few times I've used the smoker and found myself needing more than the one probe that's supplied with the Traeger.

Speaking of, about mid last year the Traeger did a software update that somehow soft-bricked my controller and prevented the smoker from connecting to the app. I rarely use the Traeger and only realised the issue 7 months later. The local distributors here are sending me an updated controller to see if that resolves the issue. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I got bored and smoked a butt the other day. I pulled it at 197 and buried it in a cooler with towels for an hour and a half. I would normally go to 203, but dinner was coming up and I think resting the meat is probably more important than those extra 6 degrees.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fall Dog posted:

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions on the Inkbird IBT-4XS Bluetooth thermometer?

The one review I've seen rated them comparable with the Weber iGrill 2, and they're much cheaper than my next choice (Thermoworks Smoke). A few times I've used the smoker and found myself needing more than the one probe that's supplied with the Traeger.

Speaking of, about mid last year the Traeger did a software update that somehow soft-bricked my controller and prevented the smoker from connecting to the app. I rarely use the Traeger and only realised the issue 7 months later. The local distributors here are sending me an updated controller to see if that resolves the issue. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Yes I have it. They're great for checking temps, but the graphing feature resets multiple times during a cook, making it pretty much only a multichannel thermometer you can check on your phone and set alarms with. The graphing is specifically useful for determining a stall, measuring grill consistency, or estimating time to completion. I really wish it worked. I'm saving up for a SmokeX as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

um excuse me posted:

Yes I have it. They're great for checking temps, but the graphing feature resets multiple times during a cook, making it pretty much only a multichannel thermometer you can check on your phone and set alarms with. The graphing is specifically useful for determining a stall, measuring grill consistency, or estimating time to completion. I really wish it worked. I'm saving up for a SmokeX as a result.

Yep-I had the Bluetooth version for a while and agree with everything said. If I left my phone within Bluetooth range and tried to keep the app open, the graph would work. However it will still randomly time out and the graph would reset.

I’ve moved on to a FireBoard, but I see they make a WiFi version for $100 called the IBBQ-4T, so I wonder if that’s any better.

Also-if you look at the smokingmeat.com forums, inkbird was in there all the time giving discount codes out, so they might bring the price down if they still do that.