Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

There's a vast gulf between a show presenting an unsympathetic protagonist and using that as a starting point to tell a story about self-improvement (like Re:Zero for instance) or falling even further (Breaking Bad, since someone already mentioned that), and what Mushoku Tensei does, which is operating under the assumption making its protagonist act like the most bottom-of-the-barrel otaku shitbag immediately makes him sympathetic to the target audience of bottom-of-the-barrel otaku shitbags and that spending ten minutes on a baby with the mind of a 34 year old internal monologuing about how hot his mom is is comedy gold rather than anything to actually be examined. The tone of the story does not present any awareness that the protagonist is unsympathetic.

at the very least, considering basically every modern isekai is copying this one, the assumption was correct ;p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Liking a series means that you support everything the main character does and thinks. ESPECIALLY if it's at the start of the series before they've undergone character development

There's a difference between a flawed character with compelling development and unlikable piece of trash who might get better one of these days. Personally I have a very hard time following a show when I don't like the mc

Motto posted:

On that note, it was pretty funny seeing the ANN anime guys go on about Tomozaki being incel PUA propaganda while the lady they have handle a lot of LN reporting was tweeting about what she liked about the series.

I don't see how these two things are related, unless you're saying that if a woman likes a thing, it cannot be sexist or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the same site reporting something as literal incel propaganda but also having someone else on the site promoting it and saying its good, feels pretty silly. its one thing if they just didnt like it or said it was sexist but going into fullblown 'this is damaging for society' stuff is pretty wild.

then again i dont really get why people are calling tomozaki incel/pua propaganda in general. the entire first ep is a girl going 'you're throwing a pity party for yourself, why not clean yourself up a bit and get a girlfriend.' thats literally the opposite of the thing theyre describing

then again ann is basically a goldmine of the stupidest possible opinions

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah theres a big gap between someone like subaru from rezero whos just kind of an understandable fuckup and the mushoku guy, who in the first episode says "drat, this girl probably doesnt even have pubic hair yet. must be middle school aged. i gotta Wife her."

stuff with unlikable/unrelatable protagonists generally try to center their personality in something you can at least understand. a really lovely amount of pride, or self-centeredness or w/e. even if mushoku is going for 'this guy can't relate to women at all', which it seems like is maybe the idea, establishing that through his Adult Brain being hyperhorny for a middle schooler is a really bad way of doing it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why get upset at warnings that "this mc is a piece of poo poo who never gets any better"?

That might technically be a spoiler, but it's also something I'd really like a heads up on so I'm not wasting my time

Even though we didn't need one for this show because it's right there in the description.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 11, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

anyway light novels are cool. someone has to adapt strange/fake eventually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Varinn posted:

anyway light novels are cool. someone has to adapt strange/fake eventually
i dont think the strange/fake guy wants an adaptation until its done

which, lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Endorph posted:

i dont think the strange/fake guy wants an adaptation until its done

which, lol

in i think the afterward of the last book he apologized for being in the hospital because it delayed the release. he's really gotta take care of himself

but since the new one introduced even more people im expecting it to be on ufotables 2049 release schedule lmao

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Narita is always introducing new characters even as he's ending a series so that means very little!

However, he's also a pro at not ending things so 2049 is still a sound prediction.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So what’s the difference between this guy and say Walter White from breaking bad? The latter is an absolute piece of garbage who gets worse as the show goes on and gets to be more successful as a criminal.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jackard posted:

Why get upset at warnings that "this mc is a piece of poo poo who never gets any better"?

That might technically be a spoiler, but it's also something I'd really like a heads up on so I'm not wasting my time

Even though we didn't need one for this show because it's right there in the description.

I mean I could say the core conceit is that he does struggle with improving himself, cause he constantly regrets how his last life went especially in regards with his family. But also people don’t automatically just stop being who they were at just one revelation, so he will relapse and retain his parts of his nature. But the discourse is one-sidedly handwringing about it I don’t really see much point in arguing it. There is some criticism to be made that the story is having its cake and eating it too, since it still a power fantasy at heart, but the story itself intends for him to struggle till the end until he can look back on his second life and say he did as good of a job as he could have.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what’s the difference between this guy and say Walter White from breaking bad? The latter is an absolute piece of garbage who gets worse as the show goes on and gets to be more successful as a criminal.

theres nothing more worn out on the internet than breaking bad discourse so i dont want to belabor the point but, at least for me specifically, the difference is 1) the weird horny for a middle schooler poo poo 2) the part people always ignore about breaking bad is that it has two main characters. the show doesn't work without jesse. he's the sympathetic one for the audience to relate to, a guy whos made bad choices but isnt irredeemable who then gets pulled into the lovely whirlpool of walt's personality. the dynamic is the tragedy.

if someone wants to make the case that mushoku tensei does this, i think thats valid, but the combination of the two things makes it hard to want to stick around to find out. i cant speak for other people but I think that point always gets lost in the 'hows this different from breaking bad' thing, which comes up all the time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Walter White is a character who starts out as a victim with noble intentions and then spends several seasons of Breaking Bad gradually sliding into evil because of his hamartia.

This is the literal diametrical opposite to having someone start out as a garbage person and then improve or stagnate.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean the core idea is basically take your sterotypical gross otaku shut-in and throw him into a Dragon Quest V narrative. His internal struggle of making up for what he did to his previous family becomes his external struggle of reuniting his broken family and then protecting his new family as best he can. The problem with aping dragon quest v though, is it relies on that long timespan to progress its plot, and most people don’t feel like sticking with a gross MC who doesn’t seem like he’s changing. Arguably he doesn’t change that much, but at the same time he ends up having to take up responsibilities when his own family and children are on the line so he’s forced to mature to some degree in that respect. Also it’s unlikely the anime will reach that point without additional seasons so my point is moot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the guy made an off color otaku joke in his head and was part of a pantyshot gag in the same episode where he died saving some teens from getting run over

i feel like the level of trash he is at this point is being a bit overstated lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the 'throw my pc in the bathtub' joke in the slime first episode was a way better and funnier way to get the same idea across imo

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the guy made an off color otaku joke in his head and was part of a pantyshot gag in the same episode where he died saving some teens from getting run over

i feel like the level of trash he is at this point is being a bit overstated lol

Someone posted spoilers that he does not get better and apparently marries the loli, who doesn't get aged up.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 11, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hmm, it's too bad i don't care about spoilers or other contextless plot information, least of all when we're discussing an adaptation that could present things in any number of different ways

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hooray, more passwords. :woop:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

macabresca posted:

I don't see how these two things are related, unless you're saying that if a woman likes a thing, it cannot be sexist or something

What Endorph said, basically. My issue isn't with criticism, just that it's always odd when ANN writers seemingly never tap their coworkers to inform their own perspectives. They can still disagree on interpretation or execution, but it always feels silly how prone they are to making "how can you know what it's doing" arguments then ignoring or resenting anyone trying to tell them.

Though the larger issue is really the whole nature of the preview guide where they have all hands on deck lay out a take on precisely one episode and try to guess at a show's trajectory.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I haven't watched the show but I don't think it's particularly weird that people are responding more poorly than usual to a character whose inner monologue casually speculates about the thickness of an underage-looking character's bush. I'd be more than a little grossed-out even if he were speculating about an adult character's bush!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Log Horizon and Dr Stone get the heck out here already, please

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This show sounds gross, but idk how much point there is in going around in circles about it in the season thread. Protagonist development and motivations would be a good discussion for the show's own thread so people can get more in-depth there, and if you put some content warnings in the OP for folks so they don't stumble into loli jokes unaware then that would solve that problem as well?

In general I'm a fan of content warnings because I hate getting blindsided by content that I don't like, but also it's generally really easy to tell what an isekai show/manga is going to get up to if you check promo images and plot summaries so I recommend that people who are sensitive to certain things do some research on potential shows even if that means spoiling yourself on stuff. I hate reading things with a lot of character death, for instance, so I often spoil myself via plot summaries if I suspect something might go in that direction so I know whether or not I should just bail on it.

Don't think any of the ones I like have gotten anime adaptions yet but it's completely possible to read isekai manga and avoid ecchi stuff, I do it all the time.

Speaking of ANN reviewers it was rad that across three different reviews for Kemono Jihen I read, none of them bothered to spell Kabane's name right.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it would certainly be nice to know why goons ITT are getting hyped about a show where the protagonist has this as his inner monologue in the first episode:

https://twitter.com/kickthebeckett/status/1348388570025758720?s=21

He's gonna be real upset next week when he has to review the next Yashahime episode

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I frequently like shows with characters that I would really dislike in real life, because usually the show is doing something interesting or entertaining with the character, and I do not have to want to be friends with a character to find them entertaining to see on screen.

Characters that are, for example, pedophiles are a different conversation entirely, because then the issue is not "do I like this character?" But rather "do I like this show where the writer decided to introduce pedophilia as a major character point"

And no, if the writers want to introduce something like that into the story at all they better be doing some pretty drat good work with it. At that point it isnt a "can I handle unlikable characters" problem, it's a "why did the writers choose to make pedophilia a part of this story?" problem

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the paradox of the ANN approach is when your job is to watch every single show, you don't have any incentive to do the quick research beforehand to gain useful context

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

I frequently like shows with characters that I would really dislike in real life, because usually the show is doing something interesting or entertaining with the character, and I do not have to want to be friends with a character to find them entertaining to see on screen.
Are you a fan of Re:Zero then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

the paradox of the ANN approach is when your job is to watch every single show, you don't have any incentive to do the quick research beforehand to gain useful context
tbf these people wouldnt do research or want context anyway, useless indignation is basically the ann special

like that one reviewer who outright made poo poo up about love me for who i am to justify calling it transphobic

actually not to harp on ann too much but ill always remember when they published an advertisement for a real life cult, the guy who translated dies irae made fun of them for it, and multiple ann editors circled the wagons to call him a literal nazi

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 11, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

tbf these people wouldnt do research or want context anyway, useless indignation is basically the ann special

like that one reviewer who outright made poo poo up about love me for who i am to justify calling it transphobic

actually not to harp on ann too much but ill always remember when they published an advertisement for a real life cult, the guy who translated dies irae made fun of them for it, and multiple ann editors circled the wagons to call him a literal nazi

I'm not even necessarily saying you're wrong about these specific incidents (because no way am I going to dig through the ANN forums on my own to verify who said what), but your "Actually it's the thing you like that's problematic, not the thing you hate/the thing I like" shtick is pretty tiresome at this point.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's something problematic. i got my backer's copy of the new bean bandit, and they didn't include subs for the japanese audio track

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In true bean fashion, they're using this as a teaching experience. If you want the bean, learn Japanese yourself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/LC992Xr.webm

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay that is cute as hell. I need to catch up on Non Non Byori.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I couldn't see anyone posting about this show from what I saw scrolling through but what the heck is up with EX-ARM I'm about 10m into the first episode and the audio is mixed really weirdly, and half the characters are drawn and half are cgi models and i'm pretty confused. Did they run out of time? Is this a deliberate style choice???

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Otherside Picnic ep 2 Alas poor Stalker guy. You might know your chernobyl-set videogames, but this is an anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pyronic posted:

I couldn't see anyone posting about this show from what I saw scrolling through but what the heck is up with EX-ARM I'm about 10m into the first episode and the audio is mixed really weirdly, and half the characters are drawn and half are cgi models and i'm pretty confused. Did they run out of time? Is this a deliberate style choice???

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2020-11-09/why-does-the-crunchyroll-original-series-ex-arm-look-so-awful/.166117

The short version is they got a bunch of people who have never made an anime before to make an anime.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Pyronic posted:

they let a live action tv director/staff attempt to make a cgi anime with no experience. very weird situation but its basically been a laughing stock since the first trailer dropped

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sindai posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2020-11-09/why-does-the-crunchyroll-original-series-ex-arm-look-so-awful/.166117

The short version is they got a bunch of people who have never made an anime before to make an anime.

It's the Manos: The Hands of Fate of anime

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Sindai posted:

Oh god, that explains so much. I was just about to make some RWBY comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wonder how people like that manage to get away with "my lack of experience in this field is actually an asset!" on their resumes. That's sure never worked for me.