Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Matt's point about subtext being gone is really relevant today, when a video of MAGAs beating a security guard to death with an American flag surfaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
could have been a thin blue line flag lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

edit: deleted tweet mocking that CA BONDS wolf av account that always says Will isn't Jewish

i say swears online posted:

my experience with the new right wing is from texas which hasn't seen a sustained downturn since the 80s. the most frothing are self-employed professionals like handymen. they own their own homes, many support single-income families, and in general the last twenty years has come up roses no matter what they do. and they're deeply, deeply unhappy. they were already gun nut/libertarian/militia-adjacent types or joel osteen self-righteous assholes but the last few years have pushed them off the deep end. they're all between 35-70, very few degrees, all white men. in a marxist sense they are not really alienated from their labor, and maybe have things in common with the old artisan class. they definitely go nazi

An article about all the big time farmers hosed by the tariffs said they were sticking with Trump because of poo poo like abortion. Even when they do get economically hosed over it doesn't seem to matter.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 11, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my experience with the new right wing is from texas which hasn't seen a sustained downturn since the 80s. the most frothing are self-employed professionals like handymen. they own their own homes, many support single-income families, and in general the last twenty years has come up roses no matter what they do. and they're deeply, deeply unhappy. they were already gun nut/libertarian/militia-adjacent types or joel osteen self-righteous assholes but the last few years have pushed them off the deep end. they're all between 35-70, very few degrees, all white men. in a marxist sense they are not really alienated from their labor, and maybe have things in common with the old artisan class. they definitely go nazi

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/GarlicCorgi/status/1348379892384231424

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/crudtown/status/1347593832746024961

same

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is about three levels past my understanding

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The newest AT&T spokeswoman is an extremely attractive lady and ever since she got that contract she says that social media became 100% unusable for her because she was flooded by extremely thirsty losers who were obsessed with the fictional cell-phone kiosk worker she plays in their commercials.

Milana Vayntrub, AT&T Girl, Pleads for Online Sexual Harassment to Stop ~ Vulture

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Cell Phone Lady was someone who falsely accused a black teenager of stealing a phone and tackled him

In retrospect the tweet was probably not funny enough to justify posting ITT, but I too initially thought Matt was talking about the ATT Lady and almost fainted

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/sta...40post511439279

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status...40post511439279

For anyone who would like context!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That isn't rami malek?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just wanted to say gently caress clymer

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Hold up. What’s a cellphone?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I love Matt but his brain was completely broken by Bernie losing the primary- an event that I'd say most supporters knew in their heart was the likely outcome.

Like every response he and the rest of the hosts have to this stuff is "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!? FEEL ANXIETY??? WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT SO THAT'S POINTLESS!!"

Then Matt semi-regularly has mini-meltdowns when Climate Change comes up- which is something he has even less influence over because the damage is 100% already baked in and irreversible. And Will admits to breaking down in tears privately almost every time we saber-rattle with Iran for some loving reason.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I love Matt but his brain was completely broken by Bernie losing the primary- an event that I'd say most supporters knew in their heart was the likely outcome.

Like every response he and the rest of the hosts have to this stuff is "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!? FEEL ANXIETY??? WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT SO THAT'S POINTLESS!!"

Then Matt semi-regularly has mini-meltdowns when Climate Change comes up- which is something he has even less influence over because the damage is 100% already baked in and irreversible. And Will admits to breaking down in tears privately almost every time we saber-rattle with Iran for some loving reason.

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kinda weird to think that you can go "ho hum" when you think about catastrophic climate change just because you can't affect it.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
anderson cooper hotel shaming

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Groovelord Neato posted:

Kinda weird to think that you can go "ho hum" when you think about catastrophic climate change just because you can't affect it.
To use Matt's own logic here; why post about it or feel anxiety since it's out of your hands

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I agree. Things are looking better than ever at the moment. Our eagle-eyed media + Sane Adult Rational government + both parties being in lockstep on social control and austerity has lead to great things historically.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The upcoming administration will also have a preexisting feud with the editor of a fashion magazine

https://twitter.com/MarjorieIngall/status/1348348405484036098?s=20
You can"t blame the VP and her crew to take a fight at their level of competency.

Bust Rodd posted:

The newest AT&T spokeswoman is an extremely attractive lady and ever since she got that contract she says that social media became 100% unusable for her because she was flooded by extremely thirsty losers who were obsessed with the fictional cell-phone kiosk worker she plays in their commercials.

Milana Vayntrub, AT&T Girl, Pleads for Online Sexual Harassment to Stop ~ Vulture
I am sure begging the public to stop being horny will works really well.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 11, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol pro click

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There’s more

https://twitter.com/cbsthismorning/status/1348671731939029000?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1348729632258928640?s=20

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

i say swears online posted:

It's anomie.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I agree that the stuff that happens w social media and these situations isn’t the great, the public shame thing. But there are times where it’s like “oh, you’re doing this to yourself and you’re not stopping” and this is one of those times. I’m a big fan of “if that’s what their claiming” in regards to the son’s age.

She’s trying to post through it in that interview w Gayle, and oof. That interview would have gone better if she had just stayed completely silent throughout it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fabricated posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have all have wished together on the monkey's paw to make millions doing the worlds easiest job

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i wonder what was going through her lawyer's mind while that was happening. amazing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

I agree that the stuff that happens w social media and these situations isn’t the great, the public shame thing. But there are times where it’s like “oh, you’re doing this to yourself and you’re not stopping” and this is one of those times. I’m a big fan of “if that’s what their claiming” in regards to the son’s age.

She’s trying to post through it in that interview w Gayle, and oof. That interview would have gone better if she had just stayed completely silent throughout it.

Yeah when I first heard about this story I thought it was just that she had accused the kid, not that she had also tried to tackle him. And now she's just digging her own grave.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wearing a cap that says 'Daddy' and explaining why you racially profile and attack people is something you do while Nathan Fielder nods intensely as he tries not to break into laughter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isn't the point just to not obsess about it so much that it dominates your psyche? We talk about this regularly in cspam, the damage that comes from reading the climate change thread too much. Matt's take strikes me as no different from people saying, "yeah don't read the climate change thread constantly forever, it is objectively bad for your mental health to do so."

His point on all these things is that immersing yourself in it online so much that you feel a ton of anxiety over it is counterproductive. It will make you *less* likely to take concrete action in your life that could contribute to a resolution of these crises.

He's not saying "ignore all the awful things in the world" he's saying stay grounded in what's right in front of you in real life because that's the only way you'll ever be able to do something about any of it.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 12, 2021

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Pixar's Gladio

THS
Sep 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/DRBoguslaw/status/1348826355534864387?s=20

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

papa horny michael posted:

anderson cooper hotel shaming

Best thing about Cooper is whenever he shamelessly posts pictures on his social media from his obviously extremely rich childhood

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Surprised Felix doesn’t know that fighter pilots have been explicitly compared to the calvary since WWI

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
felix name-dropping us in newest episode ( ꈍᴗꈍ)

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

From the studio that brought you "Soul"

Comes a new comedy

Nephesh (2021)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is Joementum still around these days? When the Chapos are talking about getting rid of the Air Force, I can't help but think about his insistence that the USAF is unconstitutional. :allears:

Felix: "'What's the Bible called, but for Hinduism?" :newlol:

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BoosterDuck posted:

felix name-dropping us in newest episode ( ꈍᴗꈍ)

It was only a matter of time since someone dropped "I'm permabanned user vanityfairstomper58" last week