Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Lol, is that you again Seraph? Or another permaban who just had to drop another $10 of his hard-earned fiat to own the nocoiners this morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLaundryGoon
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Lol, is that you again Seraph? Or another permaban who just had to drop another $10 of his hard-earned fiat to own the nocoiners this morning?
:ssh: :ninja:
If I stay very still, the mods won't see me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

How useful will the new coop be when the singularity happens and capitalism falls?

TheLaundryGoon
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747

Zefiel posted:

How useful will the new coop be when the singularity happens and capitalism falls?
We all need a place to live. Providing basic decent shelter to all as a birthright doesn't mean we have to start tearing down buildings.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

TheLaundryGoon posted:

Yes I will. And it'll be sooner than you think.

So if it's "sooner than we think" how long will you enjoy your coop before the nocoiners start "respecting" your right to live somewhere?

TheLaundryGoon
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747

Zefiel posted:

So if it's "sooner than we think" how long will you enjoy your coop before the nocoiners start "respecting" your right to live somewhere?
What?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I dont get why people think its hard to cash out. You literally just send it to coinbase and do a bank transfer. Do people also find paying bills hard or sending money using a money order hard? Anyway I turned a bunch of shitcoins into a new game server plus tax money to cover it.

TheLaundryGoon
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747

Stealthgerbil posted:

I turned a bunch of shitcoins into a new game server plus tax money to cover it.
Goongrats!

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
People have been successfully cashing out crypto for some time now. Not sure that’s a valid criticism any longer.

There are those who think they can cash out without paying taxes, though.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Thanks! Really excited to actually make even a cent out of this.

Yea people are dumb if they think they can sell crypto and not give the IRS their due.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
bitcoin is a dumb gamble thing but yeah cashing out hasn't been an issue for almost anyone looking to do so

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The lie is that everyone can cash out at 40k

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

lol at $1600/mo HOA. Enjoy paying rent on top of your mortgage.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not to class shame, isn't 500k like the cheapest place available in NYC?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
why would you wanna live in a fuckin city, for 500k you can buy your own forest with luxury 5k square feet cabin style house

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
buy the dip

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Phi230 posted:

perma the dip

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/Austen/status/1348684004703170560?s=19
not a bubble

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

despite the extreme proliferation of exit scams and mtgox style baghodling, it does seem that the required persistence and plain good fortune necessary to cash out bitcoins has dropped to the point where it's reasonable to expect to get some money back without having to fight a guy in a parking lot for it

this would mean 1) it's a commodity, not a currency 2) it still wasn't "correct" to buy it in the bad old days, no matter what the lucky survivors are saying now

etc etc

the "it could become a real world currency any day" arguments don't really follow from this, either, for a thousand and one reasons that are being posted in this thread constantly

EDIT: vvv the instant anybody tries to cash out a sizable number of coins the price plummets because it takes relatively few bitcoins to fill all the top-end buy orders on which the widely-reported price is based

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 11, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

junan_paalla posted:

The lie is that everyone can cash out at 40k

what?

quote:

EDIT: vvv the instant anybody tries to cash out a sizable number of coins the price plummets because it takes relatively few bitcoins to fill all the top-end buy orders on which the widely-reported price is based

did someone argue this? the what was to a reply about just the difficulty on cashing out...its like 2 button presses. idk where the 40k thing came from but im not following that closely

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 11, 2021

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the post says that not everybody can cash out at $40k. the reason not everybody can cash out at $40k is because the price slumps immediately when somebody tries to cash out at $40k, because there aren't that many bitcoins people want to buy at $40k. I'm not at all sure where you're losing the thread, here

EDIT: you said what, so I explained. again, really not sure what you're not getting

EDIT EDIT: in context, it seems like you made a claim to the contrary, hence my explanation. I hope this clears up your misunderstanding

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 11, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

the post says that not everybody can cash out at $40k. the reason not everybody can cash out at $40k is because the price slumps immediately when somebody tries to cash out at $40k, because there aren't that many bitcoins people want to buy at $40k. I'm not at all sure where you're losing the thread, here

who made the claim to the contrary

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

EDIT: you said what, so I explained. again, really not sure what you're not getting

im wondering who made...the claim to the contrary... :[

we just shadow boxing posting in here now

LordSaturn posted:

EDIT EDIT: in context, it seems like you made a claim to the contrary, hence my explanation. I hope this clears up your misunderstanding

???????? i just said its easy to sell

edit: he's arguing a claim that didn't come until after he posted and didn't actually contradict what he said? no this makes it harder to understand...

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 11, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure withdrawing is just selling them to coinbase for most people, you don't need to find a buyer

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
a 20% daily fluctuation being considered completely normal and acceptable illustrates why treating this dumb poo poo as a functional currency is hilarious

we are in the greatest turmoil period of anyone on earth's lifetime right now and the US dollar is within 5-10% of where it was 12 months ago

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Bought BTC and Ethereum. Both gone up less than 1% in the last hour. This is taking too long!

How am I expected to hold my resolve and not immediately buy research chemicals if it will take a whole week to double?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

Bought BTC and Ethereum. Both gone up less than 1% in the last hour. This is taking too long!

How am I expected to hold my resolve and not use immediately buy research chemicals if it will take a whole week to double?

This is the realest btc post ever

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

LordSaturn posted:

In reality, at 40K bitcoin cashes _you_ out, rather than the other way around. And 40K is a pretty good number for that to happen, not to mention a pretty good year, depending on your perspective.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nnnotime posted:

In reality, at 40K bitcoin cashes _you_ out, rather than the other way around. And 40K is a pretty good number for that to happen, not to mention a pretty good year, depending on your perspective.

:orks101:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol at being happy at living in that early 90s sitcom-set of a house 🤣

this one has a washer and dryer!!! living big now bitboys!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 12, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FilthyImp posted:

Lol at being happy at living in that early 90s sitcom-set of a house 🤣

this one has a washer and dryer!!! living big now bitboys!

hey, having a washer and dryer's a huge improvement: they can just do launder money at home now :haw:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ad by Khad posted:

a 20% daily fluctuation being considered completely normal and acceptable illustrates why treating this dumb poo poo as a functional currency is hilarious

we are in the greatest turmoil period of anyone on earth's lifetime right now and the US dollar is within 5-10% of where it was 12 months ago

Is anybody treating it as a currency at this point? I'm pretty sure 99 of people see it as a commodity like gold, it has an intrinsic value (as a means to pay for things) but that is so low compared to the current price that it's basically just something to "invest" in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Son of Rodney posted:

Is anybody treating it as a currency at this point? I'm pretty sure 99 of people see it as a commodity like gold, it has an intrinsic value (as a means to pay for things) but that is so low compared to the current price that it's basically just something to "invest" in.

That's all it's ever been. They just need to find some justification for its existence beyond pure speculation. Otherwise, it is really just a ponzi scheme. But if you can buy a pizza with it, then it's a real currency.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
But you can buy a pizza with a Ponzi scheme too

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the FUTURE OF MONEY dipshits are still very much insisting currency, yes

they were wrong then and are even wronger now that hedge fund hyper-capitalists have hijacked the bull run, but they still do it

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

On the 2017 hype train I recall many people offering bitcoin as a payment method. And there was that famous 10k bitcoin pizza. Is that not a thing anymore? I've been completely out of the loop since then.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Son of Rodney posted:

On the 2017 hype train I recall many people offering bitcoin as a payment method. And there was that famous 10k bitcoin pizza. Is that not a thing anymore? I've been completely out of the loop since then.
All efforts at retail/consumer usage of Bitcoin are doomed until the hyperbitcoinization. Even if you own bitcoin it's irrational to use it for direct purchases if you don't have to. All of the "benefits" to Bitcoin are for sellers, not buyers. As a buyer you are worse off if you have to pay the transaction fees and can't do chargebacks unless the seller gives a discount for paying with bitcoin, so you should continue using traditional payment methods and hodling your butts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And why would you ever cash in your btc? it's going to the moon so that $400 you'd pay for a PS4 pro might be worth $800 the next day. Only a fool would ever sell their bitcoin?

Rolando
Jan 12, 2021
Plenty of stores accept bitcoin now days, perhaps not the biggest retailers, but I've been able to use bitcoin to pay for anything between TV, laptop and a drone to Steam game keys, VPN subscription and paying freelancers. If something like Amazon were to start accepting it it would be a huge win, but I don't think we're quite there yet with current volatility.
I think bitcoin is quite useful, although sometimes when the price rises it stings to think that I technically paid for something double the price of current fiat exchange value. Like many others I don't treat it only as an investment for the future, although I won't lie that it's a major factor why I got it in the first place before the 2017 bull run and been HODLing ever since.

Also, my first post on the forums, hello!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hi Seraph