Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sarcastro posted:

Speaking of, look who else we're never ever going to loving be rid of:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-lauren-underwood-oberweis-challenge-20210105-7gf3u7fovjfedlxaiiu2gp6kfm-story.html

"Alleging voting irregularities, state Sen. Jim Oberweis contests Rep. Lauren Underwood’s reelection in U.S. House"

Isn't it a little late for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Isn't it a little late for that?

Yes, he's just riding the aggrieved Trump voter gravy train/name recognition. Or being a rich twat who hates being told 'you lose and no, you can't buy your way into a win.' Though if any rich douche would be used to that by now it'd be Oberweis.

Probably a little of both.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My brand new rep! I love when my region gets in the National news.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Remember how the Republicans got so fed up with Steve King from Iowa that they finally stripped him of all committee assignments, effectively ending his career in Congress?

:lol: Now they have, like, a dozen freshman members that are equally or more embarrassing than him! :lol:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The Republican party is the white nationalist, anti-government party.

Republican friends are trying to say, “this is all just Trump. He is the problem and once he is gone, it will be fine.”

People like Mary Miller show that the problems will not disappear once Trump is gone, if he ever is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The law enforcement reaction when white people protest versus when people of color protest should be plenty of evidence it's not just trump, that pattern dates back longer than any of us have been alive.

He just made being loudly racist popular again.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's not strictly color. Plenty of white anti-police-brutality protesters in places like Portland get gassed and beaten.

But the cops saw this as a "back the blue" crowd of fellow travelers so didn't treat it as even a potential threat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

brugroffil posted:

It's not strictly color. Plenty of white anti-police-brutality protesters in places like Portland get gassed and beaten.

But the cops saw this as a "back the blue" crowd of fellow travelers so didn't treat it as even a potential threat.

Yes, it's more like the cops are fascists and are willing to look the other way when fascists are protesting, but it's a whole different story when the left protests for things like "not getting killed by the police".

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yes, it's more like the cops are fascists and are willing to look the other way when fascists are protesting, but it's a whole different story when the left protests for things like "not getting killed by the police" equal protection under the law.
Fixed that for you. White people are treated like race traitors if they advocate for equal treatment of minorities. Same as during the civil rights movement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brugroffil posted:

One of the video clips out of the Capitol riot shows an officer waving the terrorists into the building. So yeah it's the racists in uniform cheering on the racists in buffalo hats.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Chud prison guard on Facebook who “loves the Constitution” said that cops were told to stand down as they have been for months due to BLM protests so, just like BLM, the people are allowed to do whatever they want.

Edit: God drat it, superintendent of school from the area believes that Mary Miller positively quoting Hitler is the same as Emanuel Cleaver saying “awomen” at the end of a prayer (it is apparently a joke in African American Methodist churches) because he feels that “awomen” is as disrespectful as quoting Hitler.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 9, 2021

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

The law enforcement reaction when white people protest versus when people of color protest should be plenty of evidence it's not just trump, that pattern dates back longer than any of us have been alive.

He just made being loudly racist popular again.

If Twitter existed when Reagan was president he would have been 100 times worse than Trump.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1348357449883938816

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

this man might be finding out after his previous loving around

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

this man might be finding out after his previous loving around

Gastro issues are a really common but not talked about Covid symptom because ew diarrhea. Dudes gonna be on a vent inside a week.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Why was he on the floor if he couldn’t loving keep food down?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DalaranJ posted:

Why was he on the floor if he couldn’t loving keep food down?

Because even Congress has to go to work if they're sick

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

They are saying that he has been having gastrointestinal issues and last week, he and his wife were doing a day long fast (only juice) and were encouraging their followers to do the same.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1348442535249776641

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Who should I call to complain about how bad our vaccine rollout is? I already called my alderman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

202-456-1111 is the number you want to use.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Every state is dealing with the same White House that doesn't explain why Illinois is in the bottom half of states in terms of shots given out: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/. Even New York is doing better than us and their process is well-documented as being terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fair enough, I just feel like figuring out the source of the problem is so complex that there's no valid response for a forum thread other than sarcasm. :v:

I certainly have no insights into the system, all I know is my wife got both her doses through the hospital she works at and scheduling went off without a hitch.

IDPH's website would be your place to start I guess.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Who should I call to complain about how bad our vaccine rollout is? I already called my alderman.

Your county representative should be able to help. Cook County is supposed to run the health system but they've done such a lovely job the CDC gave Chicago its own supply.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1348679449760337921

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
the front runner is Ann Williams, and lol @ that

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I lucked out with the vaccine as even though we're based in Illinois we serve people in Indiana so I qualified to get it through the Indiana Department of Health. I felt a little guilty, but I logged into their registration site on Thursday at 5PM and about 1/2 the spots for Friday were still open so I jumped right in, 2nd dose is scheduled for the end of the month. There were a lot of online questions, but at the place in Munster all they asked was DoB, which dose you were there for, and if you had and reactions to vaccines before. I could have sent my neighbor.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

itshappening.gif

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also

https://twitter.com/samjcharles/status/1348470042841767938

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jajajajajajajajaja!

gently caress off forever you piece of poo poo!

Watch CTU and DSA people like Kenzo start calling Ann Williams a conservative neoliberal as soon as she's elected.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
can someone catch me up to speed on why madigan stepping down is a good thing? isn't the frontrunner a republican otherwise? i want madigan gone too but not for a republican. also, to the person who said republicans are anti government, that's very far from the truth. they sell "smaller government" but what they mean is less social programmes & less regulation dedicated towards protecting the environment/everyday person from being taken advantage of by the extremely wealthy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No the frontrunner would just be some other democrat. Democrats have a majority, they just need to agree on who they want to vote for. This is basically a primary for speaker, if that makes sense.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

Fair enough, I just feel like figuring out the source of the problem is so complex that there's no valid response for a forum thread other than sarcasm. :v:

I certainly have no insights into the system, all I know is my wife got both her doses through the hospital she works at and scheduling went off without a hitch.

IDPH's website would be your place to start I guess.

Yea, I have no great insight either, and my wife got her first dose and gets here second dose in about a week through the hospital system she works at. She's not even frontline, she's WFH. Anecdotally, but the issue with the slow rollout could be public apprehension as well. My wife has had a couple of coworkers say that they're nervous about getting the vaccine, and I know there have been polls out that there that like 30% of healthcare workers weren't going to get vaccinated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yea, I have no great insight either, and my wife got her first dose and gets here second dose in about a week through the hospital system she works at. She's not even frontline, she's WFH. Anecdotally, but the issue with the slow rollout could be public apprehension as well. My wife has had a couple of coworkers say that they're nervous about getting the vaccine, and I know there have been polls out that there that like 30% of healthcare workers weren't going to get vaccinated.

It's also worth considering variables, like corruption. Like there was a story a week or so ago about wealthy people going to long term care facilities in Florida and buying vaccines with "donations." Did it really happen at large scale? Who knows! But maybe that's why the state is top three right now.

Either way, it's a complex rollout with zillions of variables.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/hea...ticle2-readmore

quote:

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker blames skimpy supplies for the slow pace of COVID-19 vaccinations in Illinois.

So far, Illinois has received 737,125 doses of vaccine, which is coming in at a rate of about 175,000 per week. At that pace, it would take about two years to vaccinate the 10 million residents needed to achieve herd immunity and neutralize a virus that has killed 17,000 and sickened 1 million in Illinois.

"We're waiting for more vaccine to arrive," Pritzker said during a Jan. 6 briefing. "That's really the biggest holdup to getting through the entire thing."

But getting vaccines is only a start. To confer immunity, they have to be injected into people's arms. That's up to the states under the federal government's immunization program. According to the Centers for Disease Control, Illinois has administered only 213,045 shots, or 29 percent of the vaccines it has received. Nationally, about 27 percent of the 21 million doses distributed have been administered.

"Everyone hoped for a faster distribution," says Katherine Baicker, dean of the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy. "What remains to be seen is whether it's just a slow first couple weeks but we're on an accelerating trajectory and soon we'll be up and running, or whether this is the steady pace and then we're in real trouble."

To come anywhere near meeting the widespread expectation that most people would be vaccinated by midyear, Illinois needs to get a lot more vaccines and administer them a lot faster. For example, Illinois would need to give nearly 800,000 shots per week starting now to achieve herd immunity by June 30.

Pritzker said Jan. 6 that the state is getting about 120,000 doses per week. On Jan. 5, Chicago Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said the current weekly total received by the city was about 32,000 first doses and 23,400 second doses. Those figures add up to a statewide weekly pace of roughly 175,000 doses received.

Supply is expected to increase substantially under the Biden administration, which has pledged to invoke the Defense Production Act to boost manufacturing. The number of available doses will further increase as additional vaccines get federal authorization.

Meanwhile, Pritzker recently called on the federal government to immediately distribute vaccines that he and seven other governors say are being erroneously reserved.

"We'd like to see half a million per week, and we're hopeful we can get to that point," Pritzker said. "It's hard for me to predict exactly when we would get there, or exactly how many will be delivered, but my expectation is it will be a lot more delivered to the state of Illinois once the Defense Production Act is invoked."

To make sure the state is ready when the time comes, Pritzker said the Illinois National Guard will open mass vaccination sites using arenas and other large locations. He also expanded the next phase of Illinois' vaccine rollout to include people age 65 and older, down from seniors 75 and older.

Like much of the U.S. pandemic response, the federal government has left immunization efforts to the states, which have relied heavily on public health departments and private hospitals to push out vaccines.

"Too much reliance was placed on the capacity of local health care providers and local governments to manage an incredibly complex distribution chain, and that's why we're seeing such patchwork success," Baicker says. "We're asking more of (hospitals) than they have the resources to accomplish."

With 73 percent of the 21 million total vaccines distributed nationwide yet to be administered, there's a concern that some doses could expire before long. Thawed Moderna vaccines may be stored in a refrigerator for up to 30 days, and Pfizer vaccines can last for up to six months in an ultracold freezer, stored for 30 days in the shipping container if dry ice is routinely replaced, or five days in a refrigerator.

Advocate Aurora Health recently had to discard roughly 570 vaccines in Wisconsin after a pharmacy employee allegedly intentionally left the doses unrefrigerated. In Ohio, Walgreens had about 35 doses expire when a long-term care facility ordered too many vaccines. Walgreens is among retail pharmacies administering shots in long-term care facilities under the federal government's pharmacy program.

And while adverse reactions to the shots are uncommon, facilities are hesitant to inoculate too many workers at once as a precaution.

"Up until now, the vaccine has only been offered to specific locations in staggered proportions because hospitals and nursing homes have been concerned about too many of their staff receiving the vaccine on any given shift," Pritzker said, noting that only about one-third of health care workers outside Chicago have received the vaccine.

More than 43,000 doses had been administered to Chicago residents as of Jan. 6, but that doesn't include shots given to Chicago health care workers that reside in other areas. Arwady recently said 42 percent of doses distributed to Chicago institutions are going to people who don't live in the city.

Illinois and local health departments are working to enlist more providers to administer the shots, including federally funded clinics and retail pharmacies, to improve capacity and ensure an equitable distribution.

The Cook County Department of Public Health is partnering with Jewel-Osco to inoculate health care workers in suburban Cook County. That partnership and others, including a new deal with Sam's Club and Walmart, will expand in coming weeks.

Hospitals are also working to expand their capacity.

NorthShore University HealthSystem has inoculated more than 10,000 health care workers, including its staff and other local providers. With vaccination clinics at two of its hospitals, Evanston and Glenbrook, the health system can give about 1,500 shots a day, which is on par with the number of vaccines it gets from the state, says Jeff Thiel, assistant vice president of pharmacy services at the six-hospital chain.

"We're actively having conversations now internally about, how do we continue to grow and support the broader community and different phases," Thiel says.

For example, hospital-operated drive-thru testing sites could become vaccination drive-thrus. That's something Thiel says NorthShore is considering.

A lack of funding has presented another roadblock for states, but a new pot of $3 billion in federal funds, announced by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services on Jan. 6, should help. Illinois is getting $90 million, and the city of Chicago, which is responsible for its own rollout, is getting $24 million.

Pritzker said it will be several weeks before Illinois moves into the next phase of the rollout, which includes essential workers like first responders and teachers, as well as individuals 65 and older.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

It's also worth considering variables, like corruption. Like there was a story a week or so ago about wealthy people going to long term care facilities in Florida and buying vaccines with "donations." Did it really happen at large scale? Who knows! But maybe that's why the state is top three right now.

Either way, it's a complex rollout with zillions of variables.

Its also coming down to county health depts. Ours has been doing great they're already through all of the 1a group and starting on 1b. Apparently the state contracted out vaccinating care home folks to CVS/Walgreens? So they're moving on to 1b without the nursing home folks being vaccinated.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/CTULocal1/status/1348715758256328705

for those not familiar: the text being repealed restricted collective bargaining to certain specific issues only for districts in cities over 500k population, which ends up being only Chicago

now CTU can strike over whatever they want

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hell yeah

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It's more like CTU can agree on compensation issues and still strike over class sizes or support services like school counselors or even school building maintenance . I think this is great because all of my friends who are CTU teachers really care more about getting things like counselors and nurses for the kids rather than a raise. Not that they don't want to be paid fairly, but so many of their students need these support services that they're not receiving and the moment they agree to compensation they coukd no longer strike. It makes them look like greedy assholes to constantly be looking for big raises so that they can improve classroom conditions even if they do end up agreeing to modest CoL raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ugh, hurry the gently caress up, Jackson County...