Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

DJ is tired of the Yankees not committing to anything contract-wise so he is talking to other teams now

https://twitter.com/zcrizer/status/1348438652389617664?s=20

The yankees also have like 2.5 reliable starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/ScottSAllen/status/1348646580363079681?s=19

Brett Kavanaugh just got really excited.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shiroc posted:

Is the problem for the Phillies in willingness to spend money or that they keep busting when they decide to? I hadn't followed the NL East too closely recently but it seemed like they were putting up money for guys. Its like ones like Arrieta who tanked or Harper who is a good not great player.

a) The Phillies are walking back "stupid money" and cutting payroll

b) They spent a lot of money on poo poo that didn't work out like Arrieta, Cutch, and Robertson

c) Phillies had to spend stupid money to begin with because their "rebuild" utterly failed to acquire good players

Mickey Moniak lol

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 11, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bewbies posted:

I bet harper is going to be an interesting HOF case...he'll have basically one really great season and probably some really impressive counting stats, but I'm betting like 12-13 more years of good solid uninspiring 3-WAR-per-year ball is how the rest of his career goes down. That'd put him at like ~70 career WAR, but with only one real standout year in his career.

Really what I'm saying is his candidacy will hinge on how enthusiastically he supports Donald Trump Jrs run for the presidency in 2032.

Harper just turned 28. I'm not so sure his best season is behind him. It's a little early to have this conversation IMO.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m going to publicly meltdown if DJLM goes to the Jays

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

DJ is tired of the Yankees not committing to anything contract-wise so he is talking to other teams now

https://twitter.com/zcrizer/status/1348438652389617664?s=20
do the thing Andrew

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

I’m going to publicly meltdown if DJLM goes to the Cardinals

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Nats beat reporters have said the Nats are preparing as if they won't have a DH this year. They just don't value outfield defense all that much. Its pretty consistent with how they have operated under Rizzo. Both Adam Lind and Matt Adams played left field (albeit only a few times) when they were here!

Schwarber has one year as a less than average hitter, which was last year's weird pandemic season. He has put up 9.5 fWAR up to this point in his career. He is the definition of solid contributor. He's pretty one dimensional sure, but that one dimension is launching magnum dongs off right handed pitching. If you're only good at one thing that's a pretty useful thing to be good at.

I will always love Schwarber - I actually have the 2016 WS patch jersey of his, and whenever it's ultimately safe, I'm going to wear it with pride to Cubs Spring Training games while also holding a giant sign that says TRUMP, but as an abbreviation for "The Ricketts Use Money Poorly", and just "gently caress the Ricketts" on the other side.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't think you need to worry about that unless you think he would accept a 3/50 with a club option for 4th year :v:

They thought Kolten Wong was too much at $13m :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bewbies posted:

I bet harper is going to be an interesting HOF case...he'll have basically one really great season and probably some really impressive counting stats, but I'm betting like 12-13 more years of good solid uninspiring 3-WAR-per-year ball is how the rest of his career goes down. That'd put him at like ~70 career WAR, but with only one real standout year in his career.

Really what I'm saying is his candidacy will hinge on how enthusiastically he supports Donald Trump Jrs run for the presidency in 2032.

Bryce Harper is the most famous active MLB player. He punched Hunter Strickland. He hit a grand slam while the crowd was chanting "overrated". Unless something goes wrong for him he'll be in the Hall of Fame.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Uhhhh Bryce Harper has a looooooong way to go before any sort of hall of fame talk imo.

He's only received MVP votes 3 out of his 9 seasons and one was MVP-30 and the other MVP-12. That's... not even close to HoF material for an outfielder.

And for counting stat "locks", he needs 170 hits a season throughout the rest of his contract to get to 3,000. He's hit that mark once, in his MVP season.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 11, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm so loving bummed about baseball

Me too, friend.

Don't suppose we can jump on the Padres bandwagon or something. They're cool, right?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Harper just turned 28. I'm not so sure his best season is behind him. It's a little early to have this conversation IMO.

It probably is, but only because that was a truly phenomenal season. Agreed that it wouldn't be a shock for him to put up another MVP caliber year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Harper has 11 more seasons under contract to put up another ~40 WAR which would put him around the average for HOF RF's. Well within the realm of possibility although he could definitely use another MVP season or two under his belt to solidify his case.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/dszymborski/status/1348706055052800000?s=21

Kansas City’s is metal as gently caress, Atlanta’s is somehow on brand in terms of offending people

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carlosologist posted:

Kansas City’s is metal as gently caress, Atlanta’s is somehow on brand in terms of offending people

So many good thread titles here

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

clearly the Padres got Miami's
and for Seattle they just cheated and asked Jon Bois

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Reds one sounds like they just took a random Joey Votto interview response.

Also Pittsbrught, what is the word for the girls?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Giants motto extremely honest, makes me picture baseball in a post-modern neofeudal dystopia

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Carlosologist posted:

Did the network confuse the Phillies and the Flyers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
We Are Rays

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

bawfuls posted:

Giants motto extremely honest, makes me picture baseball in a post-modern neofeudal dystopia

Ah, so baseball in San Francisco today?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That Giants one :discourse:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I Have One Baseball Logo and I Refuse to Change it lmao, that's so dumb and so good

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did the network confuse the Phillies and the Flyers
Gritty is incredibly territorial

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

If I catch you over 5'11 in Braves Country, I will report you to Ted Turner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blossommirage posted:

If I catch you over 5'11 in Braves Country, I will report you to Ted Turner.

At least Adam Cole is safe then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

We Are Rays

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Tampa Bay is always looking for inexpensive sources of WAR so making one their team motto tracks

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
loving Yankees, just pay DJ. Stop pretending you are poor and can't afford it

The loving luxury tax is so stupid, ugh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chamale posted:

Bryce Harper is the most famous active MLB player. He punched Hunter Strickland. He hit a grand slam while the crowd was chanting "overrated". Unless something goes wrong for him he'll be in the Hall of Fame.

Bryce is charitably halfway to HOF level bWAR and a little under 1/3 of that came in one huge outlier season

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’d vote for him since I’ve grown to like him

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Harper is insanely good and most of the anger toward him is because of the media hype. MLB Network was talking about how his career eerily parallels Reggie Jackson through their first 1100 games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1348792926344675328

lmao good luck with that Manfred.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm assuming MLB is going to wrangle some vaccines then.

Also mods deliberately left 'Offsason'.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bees x1000 posted:

Also mods deliberately left 'Offsason'.

The correct decision

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Are they just going to playthrough mass outbreaks? I don't see how they do 162 unless there are a ton of 7-inning doubleheaders to make up a team not playing for 2 weeks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

Bryce is charitably halfway to HOF level bWAR and a little under 1/3 of that came in one huge outlier season

I don't think he's sure to reach 60 WAR, but I think he's going to get in the Hall of Fame because he is the most famous baseball player. He's the only MLB player in the top-100 of athlete Q-score. (I could be wrong if it turns out there's something wrong with Q-score as a measure of fame, but it makes sense to me)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Go Sox

https://twitter.com/feinsand/status/1348837004239376385?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Blue Jays are doing a great job at almost signing people but then not signing them