Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

If the concern is individual pushback against moderator/IK decisions, then why don't TPTB simply create a couple of 'parachute' accounts that mod/ik actions come from?

Instead of, say, Handsome Ralph leaving a lovely, passive aggressive message about why you don't deserve to post in USPol because you clicked "submit" on the wrong tab and didn't edit your post out quick enough for his standards, make the probation come from "USPol IK" or "D&D Mod Team"

It won't address the "mods are fascist cops" overall slapfighting, but removing the "personal" aspect of Known Button Haver Uses Buttons on Posters With Strong Opinions might help to minimize some of the "help i'm being doxxed by having my posting history searched" stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think it's important for mods to be tied to the decisions they make and the public facing actions they perform. Getting angry PMs is part of the position.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

99% of SA is a thoughtful, interesting place that isn't perpetually on fire. We don't need some crazy unique idea to solve USPOL, we just need to find a way to make USPOL more like the rest of the site.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

"Sent an angry PM about a 6hr probation" seems like a perfectly valid reason for a 1 day probation.

Nobody should be complaining about them at all. Even if the mod was completely in the wrong, it's only 6 hours. poo poo happens. Swallow it and move on.

While many of the probations I've gotten were well deserved, probably half of them were for incomprehensible reasons that seemed to have nothing to do with what I posted. Them's the breaks.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
sending harassing pm's seems to be a good excuse to bump it up to a week or a month or a ban, tbh, and it's kind of insulting to the button havers in D&D that it really isn't

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

"Sent an angry PM about a 6hr probation" seems like a perfectly valid reason for a 1 day probation.

Nobody should be complaining about them at all. Even if the mod was completely in the wrong, it's only 6 hours. poo poo happens. Swallow it and move on.

While many of the probations I've gotten were well deserved, probably half of them were for incomprehensible reasons that seemed to have nothing to do with what I posted. Them's the breaks.

it's probably more about the "record" in your rap sheet than it is not being able to :justpost:

there are often no avenues for a poster to defend against some stupid mischaracterization or outright lie about them in the leper's colony

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

If the concern is individual pushback against moderator/IK decisions, then why don't TPTB simply create a couple of 'parachute' accounts that mod/ik actions come from?

Instead of, say, Handsome Ralph leaving a lovely, passive aggressive message about why you don't deserve to post in USPol because you clicked "submit" on the wrong tab and didn't edit your post out quick enough for his standards, make the probation come from "USPol IK" or "D&D Mod Team"

It won't address the "mods are fascist cops" overall slapfighting, but removing the "personal" aspect of Known Button Haver Uses Buttons on Posters With Strong Opinions might help to minimize some of the "help i'm being doxxed by having my posting history searched" stuff?

Because it goes to far in the other direction - it creates an entirely unaccountable moderation staff, essentially.

There's been a big shift in SA culture over the past two years in terms of how people look at moderation, bans and the obligation of moderators to defend their decisions. The current administration team has favored an approach which gives people many chances to reform their behavior (treating bans much more seriously) and also asks mods to be more accountable to their userbase, as well as the wider forum through venues like QCS. There's nothing inherently wrong with this approach - and there are definite upsides compared to SA's history of hands-off ownership and moderating in a comedy way, but one downside is that it creates disincentives for the type of large scale, scorched earth change that some people want, or being extremely heavy handed with banning because moderators can expect a torrent of harassment and public pushback in QCS. People should recognize that moderators are unpaid janitors who spend an hour or two - at best - wading through reports after working their real jobs and living their real lives and there are realistic limits on what can we can expect them to do, and the amount of harassment they'll be willing to take before quitting.

Further, this problem is particularly acute in D&D because people just care more about politics, so everything is racheted up to 11. For some people posting is praxis, and as someone posted once in QCS, if you believe that, not posting is negligence. Everything is also filtered through ideology: probations and bans aren't just decisions based on conduct, they're interpreted as strategic positions in some sort of eternal ideological struggle between mortal enemies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Respect the Mods and Writers: The moderators are here to keep the forums safe, sane, and secure. If they ask you to do something, please do it. Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods or insult the front page writers. If you do not like the mods or the moderation, feel free to not post here.

The above is already a forums-wide rule. Enforce the rules.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

The problem isn't the temporary lack of ability to post. The problem is that rap sheets are frequently weaponized; when someone is identified as an Enemy, their rap sheet is the first place most people check to "collect dirt" on them to try to build a case for stronger action against their account.

In other words, there is no such thing as "just a sixer". A probation is a probation, and each one is a ding against the poster's public reputation. So it should be no surprise that people get mad about unfair ones.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The problem isn't the temporary lack of ability to post. The problem is that rap sheets are frequently weaponized; when someone is identified as an Enemy, their rap sheet is the first place most people check to "collect dirt" on them to try to build a case for stronger action against their account.

In other words, there is no such thing as "just a sixer". A probation is a probation, and each one is a ding against the poster's public reputation. So it should be no surprise that people get mad about unfair ones.

This is also why ramps are not a good idea as implemented currently. Calm Down probes are next to "as an IK I can only give you 6" probes are next to "you're a weirdo and this may be part of a pattern" probes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been learning some stuff from this thread. I didn't really think there were a few particularly bad posters like that until I started looking at post histories for stupid one-liner posts. I found quite a few where it was just a stream of other USPol one-liner garbage stuff. It's a simple enough thing for my sake to just add those people to my ignore list. It does however reinforce that whatever is being done to posters like that isn't working.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lib and let die posted:

it's probably more about the "record" in your rap sheet than it is not being able to :justpost:

there are often no avenues for a poster to defend against some stupid mischaracterization or outright lie about them in the leper's colony

Why are you concerned about being "mischaracterized" on a rap sheet? Couldn't you say the same thing about someone's entire post history, where a single post can be taken out of context if someone doesn't look back at previous posts? It's an online comedy message board :shrug:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Kalit posted:

Why are you concerned about being "mischaracterized" on a rap sheet? Couldn't you say the same thing about someone's entire post history, where a single post can be taken out of context if someone doesn't look back at previous posts? It's an online comedy message board :shrug:

People say the bolded part a lot, but it's simply not true. SA is one of the longest-lived communities on the Internet, and posters, especially those who have been around for many years, have reputations they care about and want to preserve as much as possible.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Athanatos posted:

That's another thing. Sometimes probations are not "You are a bad person for this idea," sometimes it's more of a "chill out a while, go outside, go do something you enjoy, walk away and come back." It can seem like some personal attack, but there are points when you are deep in a discussion and it's getting out of hand, that sometimes it's best to take a break. I've used probations as that plenty of times. It doesn't mean your point wasn't valid or that you can't contribute, it just means at that point in time it was getting a bit much. The world does not end.

Lib and let die posted:

Gerund posted:

This is also why ramps are not a good idea as implemented currently. Calm Down probes are next to "as an IK I can only give you 6" probes are next to "you're a weirdo and this may be part of a pattern" probes.

In a highly factional environment, a public rap sheet is basically just the scarlet letter for people to smear each other and it's a tool for mods to make snap decisions that the guy with ten 6ers is the problem even if that's not the case this time. Particularly when one of the biggest problems in USPol is the groupthink dogpile.

I'm not suggesting less moderation at all, I'm suggesting (again) that USPol in its current form is not moderate-able in a reasonable way without an army of emotionless robot mods, and it should be replaced with a directory thread and topic-specific threads that don't inevitably degenerate into ridiculous factional backbiting and dogpiling. I saw someone accuse Majorian of trying to become "the protagonist of USPol" yesterday and couldn't stop laughing because yeah of course Majorian's the protagonist of the tragedy of USPol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Oldest Man posted:

In a highly factional environment, a public rap sheet is basically just the scarlet letter for people to smear each other and it's a tool for mods to make snap decisions that the guy with ten 6ers is the problem even if that's not the case this time. Particularly when one of the biggest problems in USPol is the groupthink dogpile.

I'm not suggesting less moderation at all, I'm suggesting (again) that USPol in its current form is not moderate-able in a reasonable way without an army of emotionless robot mods, and it should be replaced with a directory thread and topic-specific threads that don't inevitably degenerate into ridiculous factional backbiting and dogpiling. I saw someone accuse Majorian of trying to become "the protagonist of USPol" yesterday and couldn't stop laughing because yeah of course Majorian's the protagonist of the tragedy of USPol.

This post reminded me to check the op of USPOL as I haven't looked at it in awhile and hoo boy the number of things that could seemingly be avoided if more people read the op before diving back in. Would definitely like to see a larger, directory style op with a big fat warning in the thread title to read the OP before posting. I also think the Mutual Aid thread should be linked even though it's already stickied because it's an awesome thread and Mat Cauthon does a great job of maintaining it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KillHour posted:

I think a more heavy hand of making discussions split off into different threads would help. It would give you some way to split up the load and it would make sure you could at least get the background to that specific discussion instead of wading through a million posts about a thousand topics at once.

This. At the end of the day, I think posters would be happiest if they had a TRUMP thread where they could post about how the riot was the worst day in american history or whatever, a Current Events thread with strict moderation to keep news relevant & arguments funneled to appropriate threads, and a Biden Administration speculation & commentary thread.

There's clearly severe friction between the groups that lead to excessive & frivolous reports and absurd gut reactions. There isnt a reason someone saying "I dont think 5 dead and a stolen podium is the greatest evil in american history" should cause such severe psychic damage that it spills into a seperate thread about dealing with USPOL, but it does.

As an aside, the people going "we agree on 80% of things! I'm the Hillary to your Bernie! Love me!" are extraordinarily tedious. It's a very disingenuous take that ignores why these slapfights happens and casts The Electoralist as the slighted victim, when they're regularly trying to get folk like Majorian demodded for being perceived as part of the Leftist Wreckers.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 11, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

To be clear, politics itself is highly factional, especially in current times, and you aren't going to avoid the problems that arise from that simply by breaking up USPol (which most posters in this thread seem to be against). A directory in the OP along the lines of "go <here> if you want to discuss <topic> in more detail" is easy enough to implement, but USPol itself is valuable to a lot of people.

The problem is, once again, that there are certain posters who have their own Topics They Desperately Want to Discuss, and they go about trying to incite those discussions by posting in a provocative and inflammatory manner. One example is by dumping tweets from randos or questionable news outlets just to ragebait people, and this has already been discussed. I posted other examples earlier in the thread when Cpt_Obvious complained that the GE thread was the only place where one could post "mean things" about Joe Biden. What you call a "groupthink dogpile" is the group's resistance to posters who (at least seem to) post in in bad faith without any observable desire to be informed about details or nuance and without any observable openness to be convinced that they might in fact be misinformed or simply wrong.

To paraphrase a saying: it is okay to disagree, but not to be disagreeable. And the posters in question are almost always the most disagreeable of the bunch because they have chips on their shoulders about USPol's primary group, i.e. "liberals", and they make that very clear, not just when they post in that thread but also elsewhere on the forums.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neurolimal posted:

This. At the end of the day, I think posters would be happiest if they had a TRUMP thread where they could post about how the riot was the worst day in american history or whatever, a Current Events thread with strict moderation to keep news relevant & arguments funneled to appropriate threads, and a Biden Administration speculation & commentary thread.

There's clearly severe friction between the groups that lead to excessive & frivolous reports and absurd gut reactions. There isnt a reason someone saying "I dont think 5 dead and a stolen podium is the greatest evil in american history" should cause such severe psychic damage that it spills into a seperate thread about dealing with USPOL, but it does.

As an aside, the people going "we agree on 80% of things! I'm the Hillary to your Bernie! Love me!" are extraordinarily tedious.

This is a hilariously bad framing of everything outside of your first paragraph, and I would like to give you a chance to patch it up and be less annoyingly hostile before probing you for this bad post. If you can think of a way to say the bolded things without being a tedious rear end in a top hat, you can keep posting.

e: And you somehow made it worse before I had a chance to reply. Good job.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Doctor Nutt posted:

This is a hilariously bad framing of everything outside of your first paragraph, and I would like to give you a chance to patch it up and be less annoyingly hostile before probing you for this bad post. If you can think of a way to say the bolded things without being a tedious rear end in a top hat, you can keep posting.

e: And you somehow made it worse before I had a chance to reply. Good job.

Are you mad at anything in the post's style specifically or just the substance?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

In other words, there is no such thing as "just a sixer". A probation is a probation, and each one is a ding against the poster's public reputation.

LOL @ taking this at all seriously

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

If you're constantly picking up sixers, maybe you should be examining your posting style and learn to be less abrasive and confrontational.

Flying under the radar more is the solution, not bitching at the mods.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What you call a "groupthink dogpile" is the group's resistance to posters who (at least seem to) post in in bad faith without any observable desire to be informed about details or nuance and without any observable openness to be convinced that they might in fact be misinformed or simply wrong.

"This is the worst thing that's ever been done by a president"
"What about lying the country into a war that killed a million people in Iraq? What about protecting torturers? What about babyjails? What about Japanese internment? What about the trail of tears? What about selling out every Black person living in the South by crushing reconstruction for political expediency?"
"YOU'RE MINIMIZING THIS" x10

This kind of posting is representative of a group (a large group) of people who are looking for a space where people will agree with them and amplify their gut reaction to news events. There's nothing to debate there, it directly leads to backbiting and accusations hurled at people rather than ideas, and I think that being the dominant mode of the thread is inextricably linked to having a broad "USPol" that is difficult-to-impossible to aggressively moderate because of the limited number of mods and relatively larger number of posts and posters.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gerund posted:

Are you mad at anything in the post's style specifically or just the substance?

I'm not "mad," I would like them to address their issues without using framing explicitly designed to wildly distort the conversations and sentiments that they are referring to.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

If you can think of a way to say the bolded things without being a tedious rear end in a top hat, you can keep posting.

Sure, here's a hopefully less acerbic point:

Jarmak posted:

edit: I can't say precisely who started it because the thread has been on rocket skates and I didn't see the exact beginning of the slap fight, but it appears as I continue reading past the post I quoted that Majorian is also the main person making GBS threads up the thread over night with their attempts to downplay the insurrection and and start slap fights with anyone who points out how ridiculous that is.

This? Isn't a unique attempt. In fact there was one earlier in this very thread where posters tried to mischaracterize a mods' stance, then accused a poster who pointed out that they were doing so of being 'hostile'. There's clear hostility between groups that is not being described accurately by posters who exasperatedly weaponize unity in political beliefs, and I'm not sure how it should be described beyond "extraordinarily tedious".

For the record, there's plenty of leftists seeking to be The Next Taintrunner, and they should cut that crap out as well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Athanatos posted:

I do not believe a LESS moderated area is the answer here. I know people brought that up because they feel like no mods can be subjective, but we have an entire forum for "less moderated politics."

Maybe a giant warning in the OP: "By posting in this thread you understand it will be modded by a human who may or may not have their own biases. Humans are not perfect." That does not mean the mods are free to poo poo on you because they don't agree with you, but at some point they are going to have to make a decision if something adds to the thread. It's why there are multiple mods on staff, so they can ask each other "what do you think here" and they can discuss it away from bias. It happens very often.

Ironically the 'worst thread ever' in here was plastered with multiple huge warnings like that in the op and it neither slowed down the bad posting nor made people less reactive towards sixers.

Also I generally agree quite a bit with the big MPF post above

Helsing posted:

Frankly this doesn't bother me much and wading through this crap is just part of the job. However, this should serve as an example of why even a very straight forward enforcement of a clearly stated rule (don't cheer for suicide) can be time consuming and also requires a bunch of attention to deal with, especially when unhappy users immediately resort to accusing you of covering for abuse because you took away their posting privileges.

idk why this is seen as acceptable, when I became ik I was blown away that mods/iks were so used to getting insanely ragey pms that they could identify who was sending them even when stripped of identifying info.

seems like we should be jettisoning people who can't handle a sixer without having a total meltdown rather than just treating it as something that unpaid volunteers should just expect to deal with regularly.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 11, 2021

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm not "mad," I would like them to address their issues without using framing explicitly designed to wildly distort the conversations and sentiments that they are referring to.

So if the poster went through the effort of quoting directly the posts in the thread they reference with links, you'd obviously apologize for calling them a tedious rear end in a top hat because of how not mad you are?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Has the mod/admin team said anywhere why they seem to be so resistant toward longer probations as a general tool for moderation?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Helsing posted:

Getting angry PMs is part of the position.

That's an incredible statement. Abuse is never part of any volunteer's position.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

I guess my biggest unanswered question has always been that if you want ideological congruity with a position like "Democrats are bad" why don't you post in the dedicated Democrats-are-bad thread in CSPAM.

whydirt posted:

Has the mod/admin team said anywhere why they seem to be so resistant toward longer probations as a general tool for moderation?

SA right now is at a point in its moderation cycle where things very titled toward "a light touch, ability to question and yell at mods and a space to publicly question moderation decisions (QCS)" in the name of transparency as a reaction to the Lowtax stuff. In general this is good, but it does come with some things that people might not like, like leneniecy to former permabanned posters (as an example).

The Oldest Man posted:

"What about lying the country into a war that killed a million people in Iraq? What about protecting torturers? What about babyjails? What about Japanese internment? What about the trail of tears? What about selling out every Black person living in the South by crushing reconstruction for political expediency?"

This kind of posting is representative of a group (a large group) of people who are looking for a space where people will agree with them and amplify their gut reaction to news events. There's nothing to debate there, it directly leads to backbiting and accusations hurled at people rather than ideas, and I think that being the dominant mode of the thread is inextricably linked to having a broad "USPol" that is difficult-to-impossible to aggressively moderate because of the limited number of mods and relatively larger number of posts and posters.

FWIW this is just restating what I've said earlier in this thread - along with what MP has posted - which is that in genera people want to have "discussIon" between fairly narrow ideological ranges without a bunch of subtweeting about decorum and Democrats. The difference is that this is true across the ideological spectrum - for every poster horrified that someone would have the temerity to suggest that past Presidents have done bad things there is someone else who is equally horrified that anyone would ever defend the Affordable Care Act.

In general it is not the job of moderators or IKs to parse what argument is more "correct" and thus allowed because there is no shared basis of ideological agreement broad enough to actually sort things into "right think" and "wrong think."

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 11, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neurolimal posted:

Sure, here's a hopefully less acerbic point:

This? Isn't a unique attempt. In fact there was one earlier in this very thread where posters tried to mischaracterize a mods' stance, then accused a poster who pointed out that they were doing so of being 'hostile'. There's clear hostility between groups that is not being described accurately by posters who exasperatedly weaponize unity in political beliefs, and I'm not sure how it should be described beyond "extraordinarily tedious".

For the record, there's plenty of leftists seeking to be The Next Taintrunner, and they should cut that crap out as well.

Thanks for the genuine reply, and if nothing else I would point out that this is happening constantly on both sides and it's tedious from all angles. As to the factual accuracy of the unity stuff, there weren't actually a ton of Biden supporters while the primary was happening, and many of the people being blasted as "libs" have been people that supported Bernie until he was out of the race. And those people tend to get exasperated when they have to hear about all the kissing and touching they must want to do to Joe Biden because they had the audacity to vote for the lesser evil candidate in the general (this is an example of the kind of disingenuous framing I'm talking about btw). There is definitely a way for people to discuss electoralism and pragmatism in politics but things have gotten so bad with regards to cliques and factionalism that I'm not even sure those things could even be discussed in a civil manner in dnd under current standards.

I think most posters here are actually capable of having these sorts of nuanced discussions, but political tensions are so high right now that one or two slightly aggro posts wind up having a cascading effect on USPOL and that's one of the things we're trying to address here.

Gerund posted:

So if the poster went through the effort of quoting directly the posts in the thread they reference with links, you'd obviously apologize for calling them a tedious rear end in a top hat because of how not mad you are?

Well yes the idea is that you reference the things that were actually said as opposed to making up lovely versions of their arguments.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 11, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helsing posted:

For the curious, here's the kind PM that a fairly innocuous probation can generate. In this particular case the user was objecting to a probation for cheering on someone's suidicde.

My response was to explain that encouraging suicide and suicidal thoughts is heavily discouraged regardless of the target because fostering that mind of discourse can contribute to other goons deciding to harm themselves. I was rewarded with an equally thoughtful reaponse.

Frankly this doesn't bother me much and wading through this crap is just part of the job. However, this should serve as an example of why even a very straight forward enforcement of a clearly stated rule (don't cheer for suicide) can be time consuming and also requires a bunch of attention to deal with, especially when unhappy users immediately resort to accusing you of covering for abuse because you took away their posting privileges.

Now extrapolate that to situations where the rule being broken is more ambiguous or where both sides of an argument have each been a bit lovely and you actually have to try and get at least a general feel for how the conversation played out and who started what, etc. This isn't always as easy to coherently reconstruct as you might think.

None of this is meant to be an excuse for not trying new things. I think there is some clear room for improvement. However, it's important for regular users to understand that even a relatively clear cut enforcement of rules can require a fair amount of communication and discretion.

I just want to say that I'm incredibly impressed with the amount of patience and compassion you showed for someone being outright abusive towards you. That said, it's not your job; "unpaid janitors" should not be expected to play therapist or put up with anything approaching that level of abuse. While I support individual mod's right to handle an abusive PM the way you did, and it is laudable, I think a PM like that should be a 30+ban if it's sent to anybody, nevermind a mod/admin/ik. In a case like this it should be the victim's decision to either report such a thing or handle it in the way you did.

Unpaid volunteers should not have to put up with anything of this sort whatsoever (really no one should), accountability has nothing to do with putting up with personal abuse/harassment.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

whydirt posted:

I cant speak for the Mods, but Admin side I don't care. There have been a FEW TIMES where someone has a month queued and I've questioned it. I don't go around rubber stamping anything, but I have no issues with longer probes, and I myself tend to give them.

I'd prefer there being a clear line of "These warnings and shorter probes didn't work" to start with, but I get the feeling that is not an issue in the USPol thread.

It also could be not wanting to deal with idiots continuing the discussion in their inbox, so maybe for USPol to be viable, anyone who bitches to a mod about some bullshit gets time added...with the caveat that *I* am not a mod, so maybe all issues directed into my inbox, I dont give a gently caress.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

KillHour posted:

I think a more heavy hand of making discussions split off into different threads would help. It would give you some way to split up the load and it would make sure you could at least get the background to that specific discussion instead of wading through a million posts about a thousand topics at once.

+1. Might also help with subforum-wide sclerosis.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

January 6th was a Very Major Event in this country's history. The last time the US Capitol was breached and looted was more than 200 years ago, in 1812. People are understandably extremely upset about it, and if you approach it with "well, what about..." then yes, you'll come across as minimizing the crisis, even if that's not your intention.

Your larger characterization of USPol posters based on this is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It lacks empathy and reeks of confirmation bias.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

January 6th was a Very Major Event in this country's history. The last time the US Capitol was breached and looted was more than 200 years ago, in 1812. People are understandably extremely upset about it, and if you approach it with "well, what about..." then yes, you'll come across as minimizing the crisis, even if that's not your intention.

Your larger characterization of USPol posters based on this is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It lacks empathy and reeks of confirmation bias.

Well, hang on a second though - look at what you're saying from another perspective. There are posters in USPOL and DnD more broadly who come from countries where the U.S. has done some extremely awful stuff. When someone (a former WH aide, at that) says that what happened in the Capitol on Wednesday is "the worst thing a President has ever done," how is that not minimizing what they and their families and their countries of origin have experienced? How does that not show a serious lack of empathy? I get that the Jan. 6 riot was traumatic for a lot of people, and I empathize with them. But that doesn't mean they're entitled to say whatever they want without pushback.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

People are understandably extremely upset about it, and if you approach it with "well, what about..."

I want you to read what I wrote again.

The Oldest Man posted:

This kind of posting is representative of a group (a large group) of people who are looking for a space where people will agree with them and amplify their gut reaction to news events.

What you said is what I said. People come into that thread looking for others to confirm and amplify their gut reactions to news events, not to discuss them.

Aruan posted:

FWIW this is just restating what I've said earlier in this thread - along with what MP has posted - which is that in genera people want to have "discussIon" between fairly narrow ideological ranges without a bunch of subtweeting about decorum and Democrats. The difference is that this is true across the ideological spectrum - for every poster horrified that someone would have the temerity to suggest that past Presidents have done bad things there is someone else who is equally horrified that anyone would ever defend the Affordable Care Act.

My posting enemy here gets it. The format, pace, and broad scope of thread encourages this and it's not ideologically confined in any way. It's just what happens in there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Aruan posted:

I guess my biggest unanswered question has always been that if you want ideological congruity with a position like "Democrats are bad" why don't you post in the dedicated Democrats-are-bad thread in CSPAM.

C-SPAM is a very specific brand of casual posting, whereas there's plenty of posters (myself included) who would like a more in-depth look at the incoming Biden Administration.

I am glad C-SPAM is brought up, because I'l say that, despite generally having more posters than D&D outside big events (election day, riots) and generally only giving out sixers, their approach to discussing US politics has been generally successful and has good ratings; multiple threads to discuss specific subjects of US Politics, with an IK or two assigned to deal with just that thread (usually someone who posts there already).

I think that approach should be emulated; Trump Thread, Current Events thread, Biden Administration thread. This wouldnt necessarily cut along factional lines so you'd still get debate, but you'd cut down on people mad that Trump laughs are being interrupted by Biden downers (or vice versa).

The Current Events thread would see the strictest moderation so that news is recent, accurate, and debates that go too long get funneled to a relevant thread. Because it would be the most at-risk of consuming the other threads and being USPOL 2 otherwise.

whydirt posted:

Not a mod, but I'd say USPOL is already volatile enough wrt general poster opinion as-is without mods getting banhappy.

I agree with most of this, and I doubt there's a single Biden primary voter in D&D; he was severely unpopular among people under 40, after all. My point was more that "we agree on 80% of issues!" is a bit of nonsequitur; "yeah, we do, and yet we're both hostile to each other anyways, clearly that 20% is important".

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Neurolimal posted:

Not a mod, but I'd say USPOL is already volatile enough wrt general poster opinion as-is without mods getting banhappy.

The general feeling in this thread says this is not true and people would like it to be harsher.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

The general feeling in this thread says this is not true and people would like it to be harsher.

I don't know if you do video games at all, but one of the more...cumbersome things that game companies do is listen to their audience on how to develop games.

These games are always poo poo - dark souls 2, division 2, dmc: devil may cry, etc.

Maybe the solution isn't what USPol wants, maybe the solution is what USPol needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally, I dont think that would actually solve the problem. My own prediction on how that'd go; more QCS referendums on mods/IK's, more people from the disparate factions tagging in when an 'unjust' ban occurs, more people trying to shout mods into banning their posting enemies.

"Just punish harder" seems like an easy solution to get behind, so I'm not surprised it's popular, but I'm not sure if it would accomplish that much beyond "I get to see people I dont like banned".

Even with just sixers, you get a lot of catty cross-forum invasions and commentary. I've eaten some sixers for not calling The Democratic Party by its trademarked name (which is whatever, I dont really care about rap sheet size, I like that I have double digit fishmech probations), and I'd start reading Succ Zone and see posters commentating on the probation being bad, and then shortly afterwards an argument in USPOL over proper terminology for an hour, and that's just with a sixer.