Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After shipping costs, ebay fees, paypal fees, and the pain of dealing with ebay customers I rather just save time and trade it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, it’s not that much of a difference. eBay takes 10% of final value, PayPal takes 4% of what you get, and you gotta deal with shipping and tracking and then hope you don’t get a “item not as described” chargeback a month after. After is all and said and done you take like a 5% hit going through Apple.

I sold a Dell XPS last year and had to relist twice due to non paying scammers. The last guy I sold it to it shipped overseas and he tried to scam me with an “you sold me a broken laptop” message and pics of a laptop obviously not the one I sold him. He only gave up when I told him to ship it back so I could verify the serial.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
As a counterpoint, I just sold a 2018 Mini on eBay.

$1000 Sale Price
- $100 eBay Fee
- $30 PayPal Fee
- $30 Shipping Cost

Total: $840

Apple offered $530

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anything other than the base model then yeah, eBay is the way to go. Apple trade in doesn’t give two fucks if you have upgraded ram or storage.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I don't trust that quote of losing 200. I don't know if it's comparable but my mid 2020 mbp lost $900 in trade in value

My base model early 2020 air lost $200 in value when I sold it for the m1 in November. It sold very quickly on Offer Up.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

This is what my 16” MacBook Pro sold for on eBay a few weeks ago.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Turns out through my discount I’m losing in a 12 days the 4K ultrafine monitor is $630 instead of $700. I wish it had regular USB ports in the back. I’d be more interested in it then.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Earth posted:

Turns out through my discount I’m losing in a 12 days the 4K ultrafine monitor is $630 instead of $700. I wish it had regular USB ports in the back. I’d be more interested in it then.

there's a whole line of Ultrafine monitors that are more hardware-agnostic, but still excellent with Macs

There are some that come with integrated ergo arms, and at different sizes, connectivity options, etc.

there's a bunch on Amazon, etc.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Ok Comboomer posted:

there's a whole line of Ultrafine monitors that are more hardware-agnostic, but still excellent with Macs

There are some that come with integrated ergo arms, and at different sizes, connectivity options, etc.

there's a bunch on Amazon, etc.

Yeah, it's tempting because it's on sale and I love sales. I am still planning on buying this one (2020 model): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CVTTNN4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1. Just wait for it to be on sale.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I replaced the battery in my mid-2012 MacBook Air (i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD) with an unofficial/off-brand model—it has worked fine for the last couple years. Will Apple still take it if I trade it in for the estimated $130 credit?

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

I replaced the battery in my mid-2012 MacBook Air (i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD) with an unofficial/off-brand model—it has worked fine for the last couple years. Will Apple still take it if I trade it in for the estimated $130 credit?

I’d have to guess not but you could easily get $200 for that thing on offer up or whatever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Earth posted:

I wish it had regular USB ports in the back. I’d be more interested in it then.

I solved this by connecting a usbc hub and double stick taping it to the back of the monitor

I also have a usbc ethernet adapter and usb dac double stick taped back there so my screen is basically a single TB cable dock for my air

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Got an M1 MBA in December and just noticed it doesn't seem to sit completely flat on flat surfaces. I've tried it on a few different tables (at several different angles and I've cleaned the feet thoroughly in case it was the result of an errant bit of debris) and the front left foot consistently seems to sit a bit less than a millimetre off whatever surface it's on. Anyone had any experience with this before? Should I be worried?

Lightningproof fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 10, 2021

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

I solved this by connecting a usbc hub and double stick taping it to the back of the monitor

I also have a usbc ethernet adapter and usb dac double stick taped back there so my screen is basically a single TB cable dock for my air

An idea I'll keep in mind. I don't know if I'll order one of those monitors as I did just spend a bunch on the actual laptop and I don't even have a dedicated desk right now to stick the computer monitor. Pandemic has me working at kitchen table since my main desk is my "work" desk now. I am not complaining as I am happy to still have a job. Just explaining circumstance.

Since I won't be buying a monitor before I lose my discount I probably won't even be considering the one Apple is selling from LG, but probably buy the one I found on Amazon.

Just put in my order for a MBP M1 with 16 gig ram and 512 gig SSD. The discount ended up saving me ~$170.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I use the apple-sold LG and an amazon basics C->A hub. Was worried I'd still need to plug a wall wart in for juice but it seems to be fine without it for kb/mouse/webcam anyway.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
For those evaluating memory: I now have an M1 mini, 8GB/256GB, and an M1 MBA 16/1TB. The mini just chugs compared to the MBA with the same load in Safari, and when opening/switching to Messages, or Photos. I have to believe it's the RAM difference.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even this m1 mini with 16gb chugs every once in a while. I keep a lot of poo poo open though :shrug:

When it works 100% its amazing, a night and day difference even compared to my intel but then the magic fades for a moment. These are going to be so rad on the next generation though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only thing that's tripped my M1 up is having multiple Adobe apps open at once. Though I think that might be more of a Big Sur thing than an M1 thing, as it's been happening on my last gen machine more than usual, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to tell if an app is M1 native or using Rosetta? Not that it’s a big deal I’m just curious which apps have been updated.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a way to tell if an app is M1 native or using Rosetta? Not that it’s a big deal I’m just curious which apps have been updated.

Activity monitor will tell you under the "Kind" column, at least, that's what it used to do when we had mixed architectures (PPC, 32 bit x86, 64 bit x86). I believe on Apple Silicon it says "Apple" for native.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

MarcusSA posted:

Here's one way, via Get Info

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Startyde posted:

I use the apple-sold LG and an amazon basics C->A hub. Was worried I'd still need to plug a wall wart in for juice but it seems to be fine without it for kb/mouse/webcam anyway.

Yeah, that is what I have. If I plug in my iPad to charge it'll deactivate the ports though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MarcusSA posted:

Uni Detector v1.2.1, available on the Mac App Store, will inventory all your current apps and tell you if they have any Apple Silicon code in them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Uni Detector v1.2.1, available on the Mac App Store, will inventory all your current apps and tell you if they have any Apple Silicon code in them.

This is perfect!

Also thanks for the other ways as well!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kefkafloyd posted:

Activity monitor will tell you under the "Kind" column, at least, that's what it used to do when we had mixed architectures (PPC, 32 bit x86, 64 bit x86). I believe on Apple Silicon it says "Apple" for native.

In Big Sur the column for it is "Architecture", and yes it says "Apple" or "Intel". If the column isn't displayed, you can right click anywhere on the column headers to select which columns to display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Couple of folks on MacRumors forums said they added a thermal pad to their M1 MBA and got 'MacBook Pro'-like performance. Sounds like they voided their warranty because they removed the black thermal tape on the bottom case to do it.

In reality, it looks like it did give them a 14-15% boost in Cinebench R23 scores, but another MRF user mentioned that sustained elevated temps might shorten the life of the battery..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wait, are you telling me that overclocking might cause wear on the hardware?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

Couple of folks on MacRumors forums said they added a thermal pad to their M1 MBA and got 'MacBook Pro'-like performance. Sounds like they voided their warranty because they removed the black thermal tape on the bottom case to do it.

In reality, it looks like it did give them a 14-15% boost in Cinebench R23 scores, but another MRF user mentioned that sustained elevated temps might shorten the life of the battery..

Also it will be too hot to run on your lap, which is the main reason apple made it that way to begin with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Perplx posted:

Also it will be too hot to run on your lap, which is the main reason apple made it that way to begin with.

MacRumors forums 'engineeers' to the rescue

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

MacRumors forums 'engineeers' to the rescue

I really wanna find that pic of the guy who made a homemade copper heatsink for his 2020 Intel MBA

edit: found it

FCKGW posted:

You joke, but there's an insane man on MacRumors currently building the perfect homemade Macbook Air heatsink and chassis

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2020-air-heatsink.2227066/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/1348995317958660097

Big announcement by Tim on CBS This Morning tomorrow.. supposedly not a new product

Gayle King said:

Gayle posted:

This was an interview that was scheduled because they have a big announcement that they want to announce tomorrow.

It is not a new product, we should say, it's not a new product.

It's something I think bigger and better than that.

So we did an interview, and we did it at the Apple Store here, and he's at his headquarters, and he agreed to answer other questions.

But that wasn't the purpose of the interview.

What we're going to tell you about tomorrow is very exciting.

What could it be?

Bigger iPad Pro? New iPhone? Return of the Apple //?!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple is starting their own social media site to push back against fascism, fully contained within the iTunes app, called Ping.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Binary Badger posted:

Big announcement by Tim on CBS This Morning tomorrow.. supposedly not a new product

Gayle King said:

What could it be?

well since those are all new products and they said twice they're not announcing a new product, im going with apple car announcement

but foreal, given the current climate im leaning towards a global social initiative or shifting their manufacturing out of china idk

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

apple is shifting all their cash reserves into bitcoin and $TSLA

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Spime Wrangler posted:

apple is shifting all their cash reserves into bitcoin and $TSLA

Tesla stock has been a wild ride. AMA about daily five figure swings!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Gayle King said:

What could it be?

apple's gonna reverse course on privacy and start cooperating with the feds

/s

in all sincerity I hope it's apple putting some teeth to the rumored "upcoming big shift that will kill facebook's business" that people have been talking about wrt social media/ad tracking, etc.

pipe dream would be Apple blocking Facebook's apps until changes happen, but that one's most definitely not gonna be the one.

Probably not gonna be all that big of a thing, IMO.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 12, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple finally taking on Samsung in the weapons division, and will be covering the capital in surface to surface missiles that senators can fire off from their watches. Magic!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

"Siri, launch drone strike at the rioters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

jabro posted:

Tesla stock has been a wild ride. AMA about daily five figure swings!

why yes please regale us and share your investing secrets