Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zeta Acosta posted:

What are da specs

Intel Core I5 2500K should tell you all you need to know, I'm on a Ryzen2 now so quite a nice leap forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I like how I bought a synology NAS and got it running perfectly, hell even got a VM running on it so I no longer need a windows PC anymore whatsoever and I’m the technically inept one because Microsoft refuses to shift away from NTFS lmao.
It was your router that couldn't read exFAT, because why would it need to???
Oh right, because Apple use their own system and won't work with other systems, so you need exFAT as a ginger-headed stepchild to pass between them.

It's not Windows' fault your drive was formatted wrong.

Most people ITT want an unRAID setup running on a $100 re-purposed old desktop. It's absolutely the best solution.
Synology are great but you're just paying extra for the custom hardware.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The strength of synology is SHR and the web client. If I repurpose another computer it just makes it a massive pain in the rear end compared to opening up a browser web page and having instant access to the whole system. Why SHR isn’t an industry standard loving baffles me because it’s insanely better and more flexible than RAID.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

SHR isn’t an industry standard
Literally because it's propriatary. The clue is in the name.

Arguing the solution to issues caused by different proprietary filesystems, is another different proprietary filesystem, is the logic that gets you 100 different standards for anything.

The solution is (open)ZFS, which does everything you like SHR for, but isn't proprietary.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
i'm playing animal crossing while streaming anime from my nas

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Zedd posted:

Intel Core I5 2500K should tell you all you need to know, I'm on a Ryzen2 now so quite a nice leap forwards.

lol im on a xeon 1246. my next build will be amd. i heard the 3600 is the only thing you need to play at 1080. hardware prices are insane right now

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Khablam posted:

Imagine not using ZFS or unRAID for a multi-drive setup.

I love my DS920+, but thankfully I don't need it to do absolute peak throughput that'd you get with ZFS. ZFS would be nice to run on Synology units, but to get the most out of it you'd eat through almost all of the RAM since maximum performance for ZFS requires using something like 1GB of RAM get TB to prevent the metadata from becoming the bottleneck. Using big disks, you'd quickly run into the hardware limits the Synology units have. Plus, the point of the Synology units isn't performance (necessarily), it is stability and ease-of-use, which they do very, very well. If you do want straight raw throughput performance, definitely use ZFS and whitebox your own NAS. I've yet to run into any issues using my 920+ as a VM environment while simultaneously streaming media via Plex to multiple endpoints.

the corona quid posted:

I just want a place to house 50GB 4K movie rips

lmao get on the HEVC/H.265 train. gently caress having rips that big.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 9, 2021

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

Formula one is my favourite political drama series, and there's cool cars too.

I don't expect George Russell's arc to develop this season though.

George podium in 2021 IMO

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pvt. Public posted:

I love my DS920+, but thankfully I don't need it to do absolute peak throughput that'd you get with ZFS. ZFS would be nice to run on Synology units, but to get the most out of it you'd eat through almost all of the RAM since maximum performance for ZFS requires using something like 1GB of RAM get TB to prevent the metadata from becoming the bottleneck. Using big disks, you'd quickly run into the hardware limits the Synology units have. Plus, the point of the Synology units isn't performance (necessarily), it is stability and ease-of-use, which they do very, very well. If you do want straight raw throughput performance, definitely use ZFS and whitebox your own NAS. I've yet to run into any issues using my 920+ as a VM environment while simultaneously streaming media via Plex to multiple endpoints.

lmao get on the HEVC/H.265 train. gently caress having rips that big.

Did I read that right or did you just say that the file system khablam has been holding up as some sort of divine miracle this whole time use up a gig of ram per TB? Because if so lmfao

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

the corona quid posted:

Did I read that right or did you just say that the file system khablam has been holding up as some sort of divine miracle this whole time use up a gig of ram per TB? Because if so lmfao

Only if you want the absolute pinnacle of throughput from it, which is one of its main benefits (being very flexible in its uses). Most other filesystems are very dependent on hardware improvements for performance increases. You can absolutely run it where you don't cache the metadata changes into RAM, but then the reading/writing of the metadata to disk will become a performance bottleneck. It is not necessarily even "slow" at that point, since you're then relying much more on hardware (mostly disks but also backplane limits) for overall performance.

To be clear, we run several storage arrays on ZFS, so I'm not knocking it entirely. I'm merely stating that for Synology use it doesn't really fit. ZFS definitely has a lot of benefits for other hardware setups, though, if you are willing to put the work in setting it up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nah it doesn't, it needs maybe 250mb for good performance. If you're getting to insane levels of I/O you do need a GB, but in that case a synology isn't helping you anyway.
8Gb will cover you for almost any use case and cost you $30.

The whole idea of building your own server is, that for the same price as a pre-fab, you're getting better performance, lower cost, or more storage (pick 2).
A pre-fab NAS has zero route to upgrade the hardware, and is the worst of all 3.

They are however not a massive cost overall and they work for most people.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pvt. Public posted:

if you are willing to put the work in setting it up.

I’m not. That’s why I got a synology

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also quick shout out to Microsoft requiring some sort of newborn blood sacrifice ritual to get the product key for Office 2016 that I purchased through their HUP.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
What's more reliable, Khablam's home-built server or Max's RB16?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

madsushi posted:

What's more reliable, Khablam's home-built server or Max's RB16?

I've rebooted it fewer times.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Trump is currently evading a ban worse than Tony did

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Khablam posted:

I've rebooted it fewer times.

How many times have you pushed it into a wall?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

the corona quid posted:

I’m not. That’s why I got a synology

Same reason I own one.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
The start of the 86 British Grand Prix is very nasty, and the F1 archive has the full race coverage, including minutes of footage of them extracting Laffite and flying him out. Many replays of the crash, too. Sobering to see his career end because someone spun on the other side of the track.

For some reason the commentary cuts out before the restart and hasn't come back yet, twenty laps in. The archive is weird.

Edit: Commentary comes back in lap 28.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 9, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

bgreman posted:

The start of the 86 British Grand Prix is very nasty, and the F1 archive has the full race coverage, including minutes of footage of them extracting Laffite and flying him out. Many replays of the crash, too. Sobering to see his career end because someone spun on the other side of the track.

For some reason the commentary cuts out before the restart and hasn't come back yet, twenty laps in. The archive is weird.

Edit: Commentary comes back in lap 28.

They'd probably gone down the pub after the crash c and it took a while to find them.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Anyone with a nas is just storing media that they will never watch, and should go outside more rather than staring at screens all day 24/7

Which is why I am looking at getting one

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
86 Australia gives us our first live in car camera view and these things look like beasts to drive.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Abetiboul is gone ahead of 2021 at Alpine. Can’t say I’m all that surprised - the guy has been talking out of his rear end for 3+ years.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Frond posted:

Abetiboul is gone ahead of 2021 at Alpine. Can’t say I’m all that surprised - the guy has been talking out of his rear end for 3+ years.
And we'll get to hear one more year of it on Netflix soon!

Edit: also just saw that Rich Energy claim to be coming back to F1, lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

They got Brivio from Suzuki’s MotoGP outfit which is something of a coup in my opinion. He brought both Yamaha and Suzuki from nowhere to title winners.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Love 2 pay for f1 tv sub and not even get archive races from the best era the 70s and why are so many of these races even from 2007 just reviews

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ethanol posted:

Love 2 pay for f1 tv sub and not even get archive races from the best era the 70s and why are so many of these races even from 2007 just reviews

F1 Doesn’t own the licence to broadcast any races from pre-1981 IIRC.

And full broadcast rights don’t belong to them either - I think they are property of the original broadcaster.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

And full broadcast rights don’t belong to them either - I think they are property of the original broadcaster.

Wasn't this Bernie's whole masterstroke of effectively taking over F1 in the late 70s/early 80s? Control broadcasting rights and revenues to milk the sport for all it's worth.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Theophany posted:

Wasn't this Bernie's whole masterstroke of effectively taking over F1 in the late 70s/early 80s? Control broadcasting rights and revenues to milk the sport for all it's worth.

Yes. Which is why it’s odd full races aren’t available - I’m stuck watching fishbowl quality SECAM broadcasts of Paul Ricard.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

They got Brivio from Suzuki’s MotoGP outfit which is something of a coup in my opinion. He brought both Yamaha and Suzuki from nowhere to title winners.

Indeed.

I can’t help but think this is fallout from hiring Ricciardo for 69 Million dollars and then having him leave promptly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can’t see Brivio and Alonso getting on well, I’m assuming Brivio will show him the door soon enough

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I will not make any predictors at this point.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Frond posted:

Indeed.

I can’t help but think this is fallout from hiring Ricciardo for 69 Million dollars and then having him leave promptly.

I think getting Ricciardo was a great move, but then he did nothing to keep him and replaced him with an old man they are going to get 2 seasons from at most.

Abetiboul's whole thing has been making a big headline grabbing pronouncement and then not building on it in any way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Frond posted:

I will not make any predictors at this point.

I got a prediction

max gonna crash and then he's gonna kick the car like it's the machine's fault he can't keep it on the track

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Frond posted:

That’s bullshit op!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Brivio was supposed to run the F1 team while Cyril moved up to oversee the entire Alpine division. Cyril being poo poo canned entirely is a pretty big surprise.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don’t even get why Alpine is being spun into a brand tbh. It was a niche sports car model from 30 years ago, nobody is loving asking for french sports cars in 2021, we just want our loving normal lives back not more bizarre poo poo we can’t deal with.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Cyril was an unlikeable jerk, but the back and forth between him and horny was fun because they are both heels

I'm reading the Newey book at the moment and enjoying it. Any reccs for something to read after?

Also did the FIA do a proper report on the grosjean crash and how the monocoque was split (was it)?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Abiteboul turned the Red Bull partnership into a trashfire. Like you can't even be too mad about Renault's progress, but going from 4x constructors titles on the bounce to completely souring that relationship to the point where they were branding Renault engines as TAG should've been a binnable offence from the outset.

He was somehow an even bigger shithead than Christian Horner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think getting Ricciardo was a great move, but then he did nothing to keep him and replaced him with an old man they are going to get 2 seasons from at most.

Yeah if Alsonso manages any podiums/top 7 wdc placement during his alpine stint I’ll eat my proverbial shoe