Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

qirex posted:

Make no mistake if I had gently caress you money I'd be rolling with akimbo special edition M10s [one monochrome] but until that happens I will have to stick to my poverty tier mass market cameras.

Aren't Fuji rumoured to be releasing a monochrome camera soonish? Ken Wheeler has been banging on about it for a while now but thinks it's most likely gonna be GFX mount, so medium format. That'd be a bitch for me as I only have X-mount lenses and don't want to start sinking money into that, no matter how much every inch of me would want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frytechnician posted:

Aren't Fuji rumoured to be releasing a monochrome camera soonish? Ken Wheeler has been banging on about it for a while now but thinks it's most likely gonna be GFX mount, so medium format. That'd be a bitch for me as I only have X-mount lenses and don't want to start sinking money into that, no matter how much every inch of me would want it.

The idea of a monochrome appeals to me and I probably shoot B&W ~80% of the time but I was out for a killer sunrise this morning and I'd have been been so mad if I only had B&W available. There have been rumors of a monochome X100 for a while but I hadn't seen anything about a GFX.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

qirex posted:

The idea of a monochrome appeals to me and I probably shoot B&W ~80% of the time but I was out for a killer sunrise this morning and I'd have been been so mad if I only had B&W available. There have been rumors of a monochome X100 for a while but I hadn't seen anything about a GFX.

What's up B&W loving buddy. IIRC, Ken was looking at the sensor sizes of leaked Fuji documentation but it's been a while since I watched that video. Think it was this one: https://youtu.be/UkqzjZ4BJ48

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frytechnician posted:

What's up B&W loving buddy. IIRC, Ken was looking at the sensor sizes of leaked Fuji documentation but it's been a while since I watched that video. Think it was this one: https://youtu.be/UkqzjZ4BJ48

There's a stinger at the end of the DPreview Q2 Monochrom video where the filmer catches the host taking a sunset picture with his phone and I laughed so hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldFyO5QBd4k&t=810s
[13:30 if the timestamp doesn't work]

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

qirex posted:

With the Fuji cameras though you can just set it to a BW preset and then it'll look like BW in the EVF. Unless a monochrome sensor is either substantially cheaper or performs substantially better, it makes no loving sense to make one.

So of course it makes perfect loving sense that Leica made one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

XBenedict posted:

iTs An ivEsTmeNt

Move over, truck equity...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

404notfound posted:

With the Fuji cameras though you can just set it to a BW preset and then it'll look like BW in the EVF. Unless a monochrome sensor is either substantially cheaper or performs substantially better, it makes no loving sense to make one.

Iirc the leica does supposedly do B&W extra special good or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Without the color filter the sensor gets more light and has more dynamic range, plus on Leica's crazy 47MP sensors there's actually a fair amount of noise and not having color cuts down on that as well.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

404notfound posted:

Yeah this. IDK why you would want to buy a camera with limited functionality.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

XBenedict posted:

Yeah this. IDK why you would want to buy a camera with limited functionality.

qirex posted:

Without the color filter the sensor gets more light and has more dynamic range, plus on Leica's crazy 47MP sensors there's actually a fair amount of noise and not having color cuts down on that as well.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You get a lot more light, as it is not being filtered, but also there is a bump in resolution compared to a normal camera because each pixel in an image from a camera with a color filter is interpolated from multiple photosites. Cameras with foveon sensors have a similar advantage, but that is even more confusing as the last generation had different resolutions between the colors.

You can scrape the color filters off a sensor, but you scrape off the micro lenses too, so you don't really gain much by doing so.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

Move over, truck equity...

I recently overheard some photographers talking about how "prestigious" it is to buy beat up cameras with clear signs of wear on the camera body because "It's a sign that the camera was fully utilized by a real enthusiast". They even obsessed over the "discoloration patina" on the corners of the camera body that had worn down the sharp edges to smooth edges with time. The lengths that people will go through to explain their poor buying decisions is pretty insane.

Got some flashbacks of the car with speed holes episode from the Simpsons.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 11, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Worshiping patina is dumb, IMO. I mean if you get an old thing that's fine but I know in wristwatches there's people who intentionally age their very expensive watches. It's to the point in that industry where the watch companies have started selling brand new models with brown dials and beige lume.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

Worshiping patina is dumb, IMO. I mean if you get an old thing that's fine but I know in wristwatches there's people who intentionally age their very expensive watches. It's to the point in that industry where the watch companies have started selling brand new models with brown dials and beige lume.
Oh the camera they were talking about wasn't even old. It was a Sony A7Sii that they paid too much for. The conversation was just totally ridiculous lmao

I wonder how long until Leica starts to add brown dials and that beige lume to their upcoming cameras

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I like when craftspeople understand how something will patina over time and incorporate that into their design. I have absolutely no idea why I am posting this in the photography forum.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fuji put out a brown X100F for a while. I actually wanted one. :shobon:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think a brown leather accent on a camera counts as false patina, it's just brown leather.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah for sure. But still, I'm a sucker for such things.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

melon cat posted:

Oh the camera they were talking about wasn't even old. It was a Sony A7Sii that they paid too much for.

Lol. Holy poo poo.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, this Canon R5 has a lot of history to it. If only it could talk!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

where can I find these people I could easily drop my camera a couple more times if they buy it after

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Moving to the XT4 is pretty rad so far. It is kind of silly, but I like that I can keep the screen flipped against the body so I am focusing on the shots I am taking and not after the fact. I know I could always turn the screen off on my previous cameras, but having an actual physical block is nice. It makes it much more like I'm shooting film.

Also, having the the Acros film effect applied to the view finder is awesome. I am going to stick to using this so I can further train my eye to read the value of a scene and compose appropriately. I've been watching a refresher on color theory and the take away I've gotten is harmonies don't matter as much as values. A good image is 90% about value and 10% about color.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Has anyone shot with the new Fujifilm XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro lens?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Recently I managed to grab a Fuji X-E3 for around 400 dingo dollars and coming from an X-E1 the advances in usability are so wonderful! Althoigh only slightly lighter the thicker body feels better to hang onto, the viewfindet is a bit nicer to use, the touch screen and customisable swipe functions rule, charge over usb, wireless transfer, and the higher res is great. Being a fixed screen doesn't seem like an issue since I'm so used to it, but I love grabbing this thing and shooting with it.

Manual focus is a dream and with an M42 tilt adapter I'm having an absolute dream run of wanting to take this thing out. Being a baby Fuji is a good thing, paired with the 35 f1.4 its so unbelievably light and comfortable to use.

I can understand why people would rather go with an XT20 or XT2, but for how cheap this body is and what you can get out of it I sinply love it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

snickothemule posted:

I can understand why people would rather go with an XT20 or XT2, but for how cheap this body is and what you can get out of it I sinply love it.

I thought the X-T20 was essentially the same thing, but with a centered EVF instead of the rangefinder-style offset one. Tilting screen but otherwise same guts I think.

It’s the X-T2/3/4, X-H1 that are noticeably bigger bodies.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

harperdc posted:

I thought the X-T20 was essentially the same thing, but with a centered EVF instead of the rangefinder-style offset one. Tilting screen but otherwise same guts I think.

It’s the X-T2/3/4, X-H1 that are noticeably bigger bodies.

You're correct they're the same internally, having a tilting screen and centred EVF that makes it a bit taller are the major differences. I think that tilting screen is a big factor for why I've seen some folks prefer the XT-20, that versatility is no doubt quite helpful.

I'm just a bit taken that the XE3 is going for so cheap (relatively) with what it can offer quality wise, but I guess the used market is full of surprises.

I'm just impressed with how much mirrorless technology has improved over the decade, especially with what's been jammed in these little bodies and that no matter what your preference or style of shooting you like, something caters to your niche nicely.

To me it's pretty amazing that the XS-10 with an extra 128 grams gets you a deeper grip and IBIS, enough to make those larger lenses easier to wield.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any thoughts on Panasonic G9? I'm looking for a mirrorless camera but I'm not sure if the small sensor would cause problems with larger ISO values.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's large iso to you and what's your wallet depth? The near f1 lenses for m43 are pretty cheap to help compensate for the sensor but physics are still a thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The G9 is a lovely camera, but it's the same size as a Fuji X-H1, so it kind of defeats half the purpose of m4/3. The other half is the lenses, which are still small and excellent and numerous though.
I think the G9 is a good idea if you want to use a large telephoto because the overall size will be relatively compact compared to other formats. If you're going to stick little wide angle primes on one, it'll be kind of goofy and you're probably better off with a smaller body to take the most advantage that format.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

What are your normal shooting conditions and are you really printing anything? m43 lenses are cheap and you can pack a ton of them. Dual IS on the G9 is extremely good as well. I have a GH5 and an X-H1, and while the X-H1 is nominally the same size, the lenses are not and the Fuji lenses are much, much heavier. The fast Fuji glass isn't exactly cheap, either.

If you're shooting low light and indoors a lot or something, go with a used fuji.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I like my Fuji gear but the G9 has decently good color and JPEG output plus extreme stabilization with dual IS. The EVF is nice, which is something you’ll probably appreciate if you decide to slap on some of those f/.95 manual focus lenses. But for fast lenses and the possibility of good photos without heavy raw processing, the Fuji system has it beat. They both have good video but the latest gen Fujis are just a little better in terms of absolute 4K image quality.

But the G9 seems to have a pretty badass multi-shot high resolution mode. Not even the Fujis with IBIS look to be adding that function anytime soon, and Panasonic has a really good implementation. The resolution increase is pretty substantial with minimal artifacts. It’s pretty sweet actually if you do static landscapes or still life/product photography.

Anyway, I came into the thread to ask a completely unrelated question: anyone use silkypix (specifically the free Fuji version) on MacOS Big Sur with the 2020 Intel processors? It’s crashing after about 5 minutes every time for me, and some of the graphics are corrupted. Is there a way to run it in any sort of compatibility mode?

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Are the Fuji X-series having more issues than other cameras? The reason I ask is because since I started looking into getting one I started noticing threads and posts on various forums with different electronical issues. Or is this just my confirmation bias?

I also just bought a broken X-T20 (1.5 years old, doesn’t turn on...) that was too cheap for me to pass up on. Does anyone have ideas on where to find electrical schemes or other repair info on these cameras (I’ve done a lot of googling without finding so much).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Klas posted:

Are the Fuji X-series having more issues than other cameras? The reason I ask is because since I started looking into getting one I started noticing threads and posts on various forums with different electronical issues. Or is this just my confirmation bias?

I also just bought a broken X-T20 (1.5 years old, doesn’t turn on...) that was too cheap for me to pass up on. Does anyone have ideas on where to find electrical schemes or other repair info on these cameras (I’ve done a lot of googling without finding so much).

I've had no issues, and don't recall that being a recurring issue for posters here. Nor have I seen that issue discussed generally.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dr. Klas posted:

I remember the original x100 had an issue w sticky aperture blades, dont think it was an issue for any others.

One low effort thing that may work on that XT-20 is taking the battery out and letting it sit for a long time (weeks/months) so that the little internal battery also dies, which may reset whatever is keeping it bricked. Otherwise see if you can find a way to enable USB debugging and see if you can do a factory reset that way. Of course, it may be physically damaged (water often the culprit) which is a completely different kettle of fish.

If you wind up getting nowhere with it, eBay is the best place to find someone looking for a parts camera.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's a long shot and maybe you already tried it but I have had trouble getting my X-T2 to turn on after switching lenses a couple times. The contact points between lens and camera evidently don't lock together properly at times, and the camera won't turn on when this happens. Quickly removing and re-setting the lens (or even just pushing the lens release button) has always fixed this though.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Thanks for the ideas! I actually think that it was in this thread I read several posts where the posters mentioned getting warranty repairs.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks for all the answers regarding G9. I shoot quite a lot in National Parks and other forests here in Finland and they tend to be quite dark lot of the time so larger sensor with would be better especially if I want to shoot something that moves.

Think I'll save some more money and get a used Sony a III or something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For night shooting look back at oly. They're out of thr game for new cameras but live composit shooting is pretty sweet for night light sources like fires or star trails. You'll be gaining a lot of bulk with FF lenses.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Became a member of the X-mount posse this weekend - drove about 3 hours north for a Gumtree purchase of an X-H1 (surprisingly rare secondhand in Australia right now and around me in particular) which my partner and I turned into a nice little country drive + overnight trip. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but initial impressions are positive, the grip is nice and chunky and feels good in the hand, shutter is surprisingly quiet, and all around feels pretty nice and robust. The touch screen is pretty novel and I could see this being a great camera for street/candids, was not expecting to be able to pinch to zoom in review mode which is a fun surprise.

It came with the 18-55 (also pretty thin on the ground at the moment) which seems as decent as people say. I picked up a 35 1.4 last year because it was local to me and dirt cheap - wouldn't mind a quieter focusing motor on that one but it's not as bad as some of the "swarm of bees" consumer lenses I remember from my earlier days in photography.

I am coming from an original A7 that I've had pretty much since launch and is beat to hell (back LCD is busted as is the ISO dial from a fall in New Zealand a couple years ago) - am planning to keep it for copy work and as a backup body if I ever go back to FE mount, but planning to sell off the rest of my native Sony glass.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

For night shooting look back at oly. They're out of thr game for new cameras but live composit shooting is pretty sweet for night light sources like fires or star trails. You'll be gaining a lot of bulk with FF lenses.

Yeah, IBIS is nice and can help do away with needing a tripod. You can also get pretty creative with bracing the camera against things. I'm not really familiar with Oly's alphabet/roman numeral soup but their higher end body (EM?) might be a good choice - not the smallest and lightest but is weathersealed and robust. If you are a weight weenie then look at the Pen bodies maybe.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll get some pictures up when I can, but holy fuckin' poo poo my EM1X updated the firmware to include Bird Detection autofocus and it is absolutely phenomenal. I am never turning it off.