Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Thanks, originally there wasn’t going to be so much gold. However there’s no non-contrast equivalent for my main colour, and despite trying a number of methods people tout on the internet about getting contrast to look good on large flat surfaces I wasn’t at all happy with the result. I ended up hiding it with more going and some weathering, and ultimately it looks consistent with my Land Raider.

It’s all finished aside from some mud I intend to add to the tracks when my Stirland Mud arrives.

Looks great man. I really need to stop dragging rear end on the helturkey I'm working on to move onto the tanks. I've got been using Kantor blue which is a much darker blue. I am also going to mud up my tracks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Working on this power sword technique. Not super happy with how this came out but it's not a bad first try!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Working on this power sword technique. Not super happy with how this came out but it's not a bad first try!!

If you're not super happy with it then I dunno what to tell you buddy, cus you should be.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Verisimilidude posted:

Uhh, this is excellent work..

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

I get if it’s not the effect you were going for, but you should know that this looks super-cool.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Thanks!

Also, oil washes are literally magic

I wanted to add some contrast to the white armor on the first model so I found these oil paints in my closet, mixed up a blue grey and some mineral spirits, and painted it on the armor. On a small area at first to not completely destroy the model, but after wiping it away with a cue tip and some mineral spirits I immediately slathered it all over the armor. It's stupid easy, literally everyone should be doing this.

For comparison here are both models before the washes

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, oil and enamel washes blow regular washes out of the water. Basically impossible to make a mistake with them too, absolute worst case you can pull virtually all of it except an almost imperceptible filter off with mineral spirits.

Just make sure you don't carry over acrylic habits like licking your brush.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

With the exception of the transfers for the shoulder and shield, I'd say this guy is done!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That is the world's saddest necron.

And a really awesome paint job.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That looks really, really good!!

I bought the recruit box, plus a few new paints for the necrons. I’m pretty excited to get it all!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

A while ago someone posted a dope marble/jade method for terrain - anyone got a link?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those White Scars are so choice man, never stop painting/posting!

Personally continuing with the Mutant Brotherhood models, I finished a Sabretooth.

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
Finished my Halfling Blood bowl team last night. They where really fun to paint. Can't wait to get a chance to play with them.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

mccnaol posted:

Finished my Halfling Blood bowl team last night. They where really fun to paint. Can't wait to get a chance to play with them.

please tell me the pastie and sandwiches come with them standard and aren't third party or something

mccnaol
May 26, 2018

Big Willy Style posted:

please tell me the pastie and sandwiches come with them standard and aren't third party or something

They come as standard. They are their game balls 😂

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After nearly an entire year, I have got 2/5 of my Field of Glory Napoleonic Anglo-Portuguese 1811 army based. I still need to do add grass tuffs and the ever important flags (that will break off :( )

Apart from 1 battalion of Portuguese Line Infantry I did myself (AB Eureka Figures) (which I hope to never attempt again) the rest are painted figures from https://www.stonewallfigures.co.uk. They are washed in Citadel Nuln Oil...that I feel was a mistake. I should have used Agrash Earthshade or shades in the majority colour I think. Too late now.

I have dry brushed the bases with Citadel Dry Hexos Palesun. The base is Army Painter Basing: Brown Battleground (though it looks more grey to me).

(More pictures and background and previous battles are at MY BLOG

I have ordered the rest of the army from Stonewall figures, but they won't arrive before my FIRST FOGN TOURNAMENT this weekend. Most of the army will be borrowed and will far outclass my own figures.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I recently picked up a Badger Patriot 105. It's my first airbrush and, as recommended in the OP, I'm trying to get the hang of it by sticking to priming. Unfortunately I've already hit a roadblock: the primer I picked up (a set of Badger Stynylrez bottles) seems to clog the airbrush at random. Sometimes it'll come out just fine, other times it'll come out in spurts, and occasionally it doesn't spray at all until I pull the trigger all the way back, at which point it blasts out and forms a puddle on whatever I'm spraying.

At first I thought this might be a psi issue; I definitely had it set too high when I tried it out for the first time, but even after dropping it to ~20psi (the bottle recommends 20-30) I was still experiencing the same problem. I took the airbrush apart and cleaned it several times, also to no avail.

The bottle says the primer doesn't need to be thinned, but would it help? And if so, would I thin it with water or airbrush thinner? Is there something else I should be doing?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

quote != edit

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Communist Walrus posted:

I recently picked up a Badger Patriot 105. It's my first airbrush and, as recommended in the OP, I'm trying to get the hang of it by sticking to priming. Unfortunately I've already hit a roadblock: the primer I picked up (a set of Badger Stynylrez bottles) seems to clog the airbrush at random. Sometimes it'll come out just fine, other times it'll come out in spurts, and occasionally it doesn't spray at all until I pull the trigger all the way back, at which point it blasts out and forms a puddle on whatever I'm spraying.

At first I thought this might be a psi issue; I definitely had it set too high when I tried it out for the first time, but even after dropping it to ~20psi (the bottle recommends 20-30) I was still experiencing the same problem. I took the airbrush apart and cleaned it several times, also to no avail.

The bottle says the primer doesn't need to be thinned, but would it help? And if so, would I thin it with water or airbrush thinner? Is there something else I should be doing?

I have the same problems using the same primer. Use airbrush thinner and make sure to clean your brush thoroughly once you’re done using it, the primer seems to leave a lot of hardened residue that could easily cause a clog.

Alternatively, use a different airbrush primer! I may switch from stynlrez because it dries really matte and the clogging issues, and I hear Vallejo airbrush primer works better in this regard.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea just splash in a tiny bit of flow improver / thinner with your primer. I think I usually shoot it around 25-30 PSI without issue.

And yes, absolutely give it a thorough cleaning after a priming session. That poo poo will cake on there good if you leave any behind (not the end of the world, just a pain to clean off)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

some buildup happens if you stop blowing air as soon as you stop blowing paint. make sure to push the trigger forward so only air is coming out, let that blow for a few seconds, and then release to stop airflow too. maybe you're already doing this, idk

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Thanks all. I'll try thinning it a bit and giving it another go, and will be sure to ease off the trigger.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also it's winter in the northern hemisphere and Badger primer irreversibly precipitates and clumps up at freezing temperatures (I believe there's a warning on the Amazon page for this).

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Repost from the MCP thread (and we need more superheroes in here lol):

House of X scheme mutants (or as close as I could emulate):

Enchantress and Angela:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

attempt 2 at this power sword technique

the hardest part of this is the masking, and the longest part is cleaning out the airbrush between colors which you need to do 7 times (white, clean, light blue, clean, blue, clean, dark blue, clean, light blue, clean, blue, clean, dark blue, clean)

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 12, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Verisimilidude posted:

attempt 2 at this power sword technique

the hardest part of this is the masking, and the longest part is cleaning out the airbrush between colors which you need to do 7 times (white, clean, light blue, clean, blue, clean, dark blue, clean, light blue, clean, blue, clean, dark blue, clean)

How did you manage to keep the shadows and highlights on the letters themselves instead of filling it all in? Just a matter of spraying at the right angle?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How did you manage to keep the shadows and highlights on the letters themselves instead of filling it all in? Just a matter of spraying at the right angle?

Yeah I made sure to spray from the same direction, so the shadows are naturally occurring

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I don't use many Citadel products but I'm willing to state definitively that Sycorax Bronze is GW shittiest paint. Absolutely miserable.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I don't use many Citadel products but I'm willing to state definitively that Sycorax Bronze is GW shittiest paint. Absolutely miserable.

Are you using it over a base paint? It's too thin to really use on its own. On top of something like Balthasar Gold it works fine.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Winklebottom posted:

Are you using it over a base paint? It's too thin to really use on its own. On top of something like Balthasar Gold it works fine.

Sir, do not stick up for this paint and its low moral character.

But yes, I am, just not over Balthasar Gold. It seems to have two states: too goopy with crappy coverage, or too thin with crappy coverage.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Communist Walrus posted:

Have you tried Magos Purple from the Contrast range? Its basically contrast medium that once glanced at bottle of purple wash. loving briefly glanced.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I use Sycorax Bronze all the time, out of necessity (Vallejo paints are nearly impossible to find out here).

For best results, I start with a dark brown (Dryad Bark or Rhynox Hide are my go to but I find it doesn't matter too much. Rhynox Hide is slightly warmer but the difference in color is pretty negligible), then do a coat of Balthazar Gold which is a deep copper. With a good coverage brown basecoat, balthazar gold is pretty usable. Then I use Sycorax Bronze as a highlight color.

I also added a couple of stainless steel nail polish agitator beads to the balthazar/sycorax pots (now dropper bottles) to encourage them to play nicely.

Edit: I'm an awful painter but I think it comes out looking pretty ok!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah my Sycorax Bronze turned lumpy way too fast after buying it. It works but it's consistency is kinda weird now. Might need to try to thin it out a little to make it runny again.

Also the agitators I have that my brother gave me weren't apparently stainless steel because now I have stains on the bottom of all my paint pots. :v:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's a really good recipe for bronze that has you mix Fyreslayer Flesh contrast paint with a silver metallic. Vince uses Vallejo metal colour silver/aluminum, but I imagine a citadel metallic would work as well.

The nice thing is you can shade with more Fyreslayer Flesh and highlight by adding more silver, and it looks really nice. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYvYAekaR2Q&t=246s

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Contrast snakebite leather over silver makes a great gold, I'll have to try it with Fyreslayer.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

wip on this guy. He's a blast to paint, though I'm not a big fan of the mask.

edit: and the finished product (until my forgeworld transfers show up)

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 13, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I remember the original bronze GW paint also used to do the clumping bullshit, good to see things haven't changed that much. Holy gently caress those powerswords are so loving good.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SiKboy posted:

Have you tried Magos Purple from the Contrast range? Its basically contrast medium that once glanced at bottle of purple wash. loving briefly glanced.

I have to agree with you. I made the mistake of deciding to use magos purple in my thousand sons army for some of the robes and Daemon Prince wings. It is the only contrast paint I've HAD to use multiple coats on.

It is the Fresca of contrast paints. And I say they as someone who got into the hobby right after contrast paints and love them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Funny, just last week I was like, "I want to experiment with a Slaneesh kinda purple-and-cream scheme for my Death Guard", primed one of my bois and blasted it with Magos and it looked pretty crappy. Hit it with a second layer and it still just looks like a weird purple wash. gently caress Fresca

Gonna just re-prime it and airbrush some Vallejo Hexen Lichen instead and see how that comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sab669 posted:

Funny, just last week I was like, "I want to experiment with a Slaneesh kinda purple-and-cream scheme for my Death Guard", primed one of my bois and blasted it with Magos and it looked pretty crappy. Hit it with a second layer and it still just looks like a weird purple wash. gently caress Fresca

Gonna just re-prime it and airbrush some Vallejo Hexen Lichen instead and see how that comes out.

I use it to cut the really dark purple contrast paint. Shyish or whatever.