Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont remember it being mentioned here, but if you plug a quest 2 into your pc running the oculus app with a link compatible cable, you automatically get Asgard’s wrath for free

You have until Jan 31 to do it

https://www.oculus.com/blog/were-celebrating-links-birthday-by-giving-away-asgards-wrath-to-new-quest-2-buyers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ended up getting mine today! Pretty happy I found one within 24hrs of looking.

First impression is a good one, I like that I can pick up beat saber and go without any trouble.

Comfort wise, I know that everyone’s head is different but I’m going to be looking at mods to block the light and fit better. Can anyone tell me if the elite strap is worth it?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 11, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mr E posted:

Does it seem like Valve is going to be releasing an Index refresh or Index 2 any time soon? The G2 headset seems like the best one for what I usually look for in technology, but the controllers seem pretty awful and I'd rather not buy Knuckles separately and pay a little more than just the Index complete package.

Honestly I think they'd be better off lowering the price than refreshing it. Its so costly as it is, and hardware wise resolution is really all thats lacking and bumping up to g2 resolution is also going to make it that much harder to power with current PCs. VR in general is kind of at a limit for now where optics and displays outpace what most people can do with their PC anyways.

Its going to be a slow road from here on out at improving FOV and angular resolution, at least until some serious foveated rendering tech finally shows up en masse.

Rolo posted:

Ended up getting mine today! Pretty happy I found one within 24hrs of looking.

First impression is a good one, I like that I can pick up beat saber and go without any trouble.

Comfort wise, I know that everyone’s head is different but I’m going to be looking at mods to block the light and fit better. Can anyone tell me if the elite strap is worth it?

I don't know if i've seen anyone get one here, as its kind of pricey, but the official fit kit contains a wider and narrower face plate, and little clip on rubber things around the lenses to block out light leak. I grabbed one and honestly impressed how much better it fits the face, and the reduction in light leakage.

Again, its 40 bucks compared to i don't know what from a 3rd party, but I quite like it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rolo posted:

Can anyone tell me if the elite strap is worth it?

It's required

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rolo posted:

Can anyone tell me if the elite strap is worth it?

I don't believe the cloth strap that's included was intended for long term use. Elite strap will both make it more comfortable and probably fix your light/fit issue.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dupersaurus posted:

It's required

I’m getting lucky with stock today. I found the one single elite strap in my city at a local Walmart. Ordered for local pickup, might be able to go get it today.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

I’m getting lucky with stock today. I found the one single elite strap in my city at a local Walmart. Ordered for local pickup, might be able to go get it today.

Grats, it rules. Check out my previous post in here about not adjusting it properly, should help get a better fit right away instead of mushing it into your face harder to keep it in a comfortable spot like I was doing :downs:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looking further into headsets I might just go with the Quest 2 - I know it's not as good headset wise as the Index or G2 but I also don't think I want to pay $1k to buy into what's essentially a new "console" for games. I still have my Facebook account so while I don't like having to have one it wouldn't be the biggest deal for me to need an account.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr E posted:

Looking further into headsets I might just go with the Quest 2 - I know it's not as good headset wise as the Index or G2 but I also don't think I want to pay $1k to buy into what's essentially a new "console" for games. I still have my Facebook account so while I don't like having to have one it wouldn't be the biggest deal for me to need an account.

You'll use/appreciate the wireless aspect of it way more than you think you will.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Quest 2 really is an insane value when you look at what it's capable of doing versus similar headsets for 3x the price. The Oculus store gets ports of a lot of the great games out there, and the option to play Steam VR titles wirelessly is a great value-add to an already awesome package.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

explosivo posted:

and the option to play Steam VR titles wirelessly is a great value-add to an already awesome package.

Say what now

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

Say what now

About halfway down starting at the 'Virtual Desktop' section

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My elite strap broke :(
Now to play the support roulette game and see if they will replace it in a timely manner. They never did give me the Asgard's Wrath promo game, so thus far they're batting 0 for 1.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

canyoneer posted:

My elite strap broke :(
Now to play the support roulette game and see if they will replace it in a timely manner. They never did give me the Asgard's Wrath promo game, so thus far they're batting 0 for 1.

Suck, same place? Everything I've heard is they are replacing them without any trouble. Where did you buy it, if you don't mind me asking? You can also try going back to the retailer, they may be faster.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oh snap. Does this work well enough to be worth it? I have a 3080, 7 3700x and a great home network for what it’s worth.

Any Facebook plans to implement something like this officially? I feel like it would be a huge hardware selling point.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rolo posted:

Oh snap. Does this work well enough to be worth it? I have a 3080, 7 3700x and a great home network for what it’s worth.

Any Facebook plans to implement something like this officially? I feel like it would be a huge hardware selling point.

Seems to work great for me so far, I don't even have my link cable yet and I'm enjoying stuff I used to play on the rift without any noticeable lag.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

It's incredible. I talked about it a lot in the last few pages since I got my Quest but I expected it to barely work since I have trouble streaming Steamlink in my own house. It's honestly sorcery. I'm constantly floored with how well it works, and I have a 1070. Native oculus games are the better option in a lot of cases but I'm able to play HL Alyx in the room next to the room that has my PC with maybe a few bits of lag here or there but it's very usable. I haven't even plugged in my link cable yet since getting it it works that well, lol.

Edit: I don't know why it's not a selling point, I have to imagine that since the process involves side-loading a different version of Virtual Desktop after purchasing it that Oculus would rather you not have the ability to just buy and play games that are available cheaper on the Steam store, but you can use the link cable so that doesn't even really make much sense either. Maybe it's because performance is dependent on your wireless setup and they don't want to advertise a feature that might not work for most people.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 11, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

The 3080 should work great; the 30-series has the lowest encoder latency and that is the most important thing along with top-shelf wifi, especially Wifi 6 which it supports. But anything like Asus etc. with a good beamforming antenna setup should do the trick.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Rolo posted:

Heeeey 3080/3700X buddy!

It's totally worth it, have you seen the elaborate pulley systems that people with other headsets have attached to their ceiling to play PC VR wired but have 360 degrees of motion? If you have a Quest 2 and 5GHz wi-fi band you don't have to worry about that, you can 360 noscope in VR to your hearts content, it's dope.

I didn't know anything about VR headsets, I got the Quest 2 because it was the cheapest recommended one and I'm so glad I did. Having both the portability of PC-less AND the wireless capability with PC VR is an awesomely versatile combination.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Suck, same place? Everything I've heard is they are replacing them without any trouble. Where did you buy it, if you don't mind me asking? You can also try going back to the retailer, they may be faster.

Yeah, getting it from Oculus support. I ordered it initially from Costco, so if they're not dealing with it fast enough, I can always go back to Costco.

Oddly enough, they asked me to look on the inside of the strap for a serial or manufacturing date (neither were there). Makes me think I may have gotten the very first run of these elite straps and those other features were added once they knew there were problems.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Xachariah posted:

Heeeey 3080/3700X buddy!

It's totally worth it, have you seen the elaborate pulley systems that people with other headsets have attached to their ceiling to play PC VR wired but have 360 degrees of motion? If you have a Quest 2 and 5GHz wi-fi band you don't have to worry about that, you can 360 noscope in VR to your hearts content, it's dope.

I didn't know anything about VR headsets, I got the Quest 2 because it was the cheapest recommended one and I'm so glad I did. Having both the portability of PC-less AND the wireless capability with PC VR is an awesomely versatile combination.

That’s insane and I’m going to work on this tonight. I don’t know much about my router other than it handles my 1gb fiber connection and works well with 5ghz so here’s hoping that’s it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You want an access point that can do MIMO, either SU or MU so you don’t get contention on it. That, or have a dedicated access point for the quest so there is no possibility of contention

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

That’s insane and I’m going to work on this tonight. I don’t know much about my router other than it handles my 1gb fiber connection and works well with 5ghz so here’s hoping that’s it.

I think YMMV but I have a standard rear end TP-Link AC1750 in a crowded apartment complex with 20 other SSID's in the area and once I made sure I was on the 5Ghz network everything just.. worked. I know there were other goons that had problems with better routers than this one so it might come down to the router you have and the strength of your connection. Good luck! It's quite amazing being able to pick up and play from the living room where I have so much more space compared to being tethered to my computer in my office where I have almost none.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, getting it from Oculus support. I ordered it initially from Costco, so if they're not dealing with it fast enough, I can always go back to Costco.

Oddly enough, they asked me to look on the inside of the strap for a serial or manufacturing date (neither were there). Makes me think I may have gotten the very first run of these elite straps and those other features were added once they knew there were problems.

I have a Costco strap without a manufacturers number, bought at launch.

I gave it some tough love and it still seems like its solid but yep. I am guessing its a matter of time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

I have a Costco strap without a manufacturers number, bought at launch.

I gave it some tough love and it still seems like its solid but yep. I am guessing its a matter of time.

My observations are:
The flex appeared to be worst when the strap was cranked down to the smallest level (which makes sense because of the angles involved. This is also how i stored it in the box)
First there were just two hairline cracks for a few weeks. I suspect I rode mine to the bitter end because when removing my strap to check for the number, the little bit of twisting required to remove them caused it to snap loudly and fall apart on both sides.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

1060 / 5600 (not X) here, Virtual Desktop runs great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

5300x/1080ti, VD runs good on my non-mimo AP with some stuttering from contention. I have an archer a6 coming from amazon tomorrow that I hope will fix the stuttering.

When it’s not in contention it’s smooth as butter though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If my wifi ends up being bunk could I ethernet a separate router to use for my oculus? I can’t replace my primary entirely because it’s also my fiber modem.

Also man, seeing this kind of stuff is getting me excited, it’s like building a new pc after a decade and unlocking all the cool new tech.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont remember it being mentioned here, but if you plug a quest 2 into your pc running the oculus app with a link compatible cable, you automatically get Asgard’s wrath for free

You have until Jan 31 to do it

https://www.oculus.com/blog/were-celebrating-links-birthday-by-giving-away-asgards-wrath-to-new-quest-2-buyers/

For the people that have to submit tickets to claim this one, would Facebook take another look at the name on the account submitting the ticket? I know a friend who met a guy who's caught a train once and he allegedly said that the surname on his Oculus billing method may not exactly match the surname of the attached Facebook account. Not that it's anything like "Weedlordfuckthezuck" or any horseshit like that, just a different surname used unofficially, to avoid clients searching him up on AskJeeves.

Reckon this train-guy should maybe steer clear of a game he may not even play, just to be safe, or is this pretty much a rubber stamp process for Facebook/Oculus?

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I played around with Doom 3 Quest last night and while it's really neat, I was a little underwhelmed by just how downgraded the quality was.

I'm playing on a Quest 2 and the texture quality was clearly on the lowest possible setting, and I figured if it's playable on Quest 1 then there has to be some free memory on the Q2 so I tweaked my config file. Holy poo poo, it's so much better now and it doesn't seem to have touched my framerate at all.

Before:

After:

It's really easy to do, look in \Quest 2\Internal shared storage\Doom3Quest\config\base and open doom3quest.cfg with a text editor and change "seta image_downSizeBump" and "seta image_downSizeSpecular" values to "0".

Boom! Your textures are no longer downscaled. There are still some fuzzy textures here and there, but I think that's down to the game coming out in 2004.

I looked around and saw some people are loading HD texture packs with no problem, so I wanna play with that next. None of them mentioned editing the CFG files, but the textures in their screenshots still look great, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Honestly though, taking up 7 gigs of the space on my Quest just for textures isn't that alluring when the game looks this good with a CFG tweak.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

I played around with Doom 3 Quest last night and while it's really neat, I was a little underwhelmed by just how downgraded the quality was.

I'm playing on a Quest 2 and the texture quality was clearly on the lowest possible setting, and I figured if it's playable on Quest 1 then there has to be some free memory on the Q2 so I tweaked my config file. Holy poo poo, it's so much better now and it doesn't seem to have touched my framerate at all.

Before:

After:

It's really easy to do, look in \Quest 2\Internal shared storage\Doom3Quest\config\base and open doom3quest.cfg with a text editor and change "seta image_downSizeBump" and "seta image_downSizeSpecular" values to "0".

Boom! Your textures are no longer downscaled. There are still some fuzzy textures here and there, but I think that's down to the game coming out in 2004.

I looked around and saw some people are loading HD texture packs with no problem, so I wanna play with that next. None of them mentioned editing the CFG files, but the textures in their screenshots still look great, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Honestly though, taking up 7 gigs of the space on my Quest just for textures isn't that alluring when the game looks this good with a CFG tweak.

Interesting. Is there any way in the configurations to re-enable real time shadows? I wonder if thats even in the realm of possibility on the quest 2, or at least just how much the performance would go down.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Hmm I just got a strap from amazon and don't see any info on the inside. Who knows.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

Interesting. Is there any way in the configurations to re-enable real time shadows? I wonder if thats even in the realm of possibility on the quest 2, or at least just how much the performance would go down.

According to the developers the real time shadows drop performance to 25 FPS even on Quest 2. I saw someone who said they tried editing the config value for it and nothing changed, so I don't think it's easy to enable in this build.

It is kinda disappointing, I thought it was going to actually be the full Doom 3 experience and real time shadows was pretty integral to that.

That said, now that I've upped the textures it is pretty drat good looking for a Quest game.

Also, one of the devs just thanked me for pointing out the config file changes. Apparently my changes were supposed to be the default on Quest 2 but something got mixed up, so I'm guessing it will be fixed in the next update.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Doom 3 is such a dark game, I can't imagine it looking good with the piss poor black levels of the Quest 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Doom 3 on PCVR looks amazing but dang that game is 2spoopy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish Resident Evil 7 would make it to PC, I played it on PSVR and hot dang that was so spooky.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Rolo posted:

If my wifi ends up being bunk could I ethernet a separate router to use for my oculus? I can’t replace my primary entirely because it’s also my fiber modem.

Also man, seeing this kind of stuff is getting me excited, it’s like building a new pc after a decade and unlocking all the cool new tech.

This is exactly what I’m doing and it’s working great. $45 router to act as access point with a cable from the wan port to my cable modem/wifi router which provides internet. Then PC Ethernet to the access point, and the quest as the only device on the access point (which has a different ssid than my cable modem/router). You don’t need wifi 6 so I was pleasantly surprised by how affordable a dedicated router was.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Origami Dali posted:

Doom 3 is such a dark game, I can't imagine it looking good with the piss poor black levels of the Quest 2.

The black levels look really great to me. I just loaded Doom 3 up again to make sure, and yeah the menu is in a black void and it looks very black to me.

I have had some games/software where it didn't look as good and looked kinda washed out, but I think that might be down to the software being tuned for an OLED display and then not updated for the Q2.

I noticed the same thing with some software on PC when I went from a Rift CV1 to a Rift S, some games looked really nice and contrasty with good black levels (Half Life Alyx for one) and some games looked really washed out (In Death).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I'm working on the sniper level, I've applied a few frames of aim smoothing and stabilization which helps a lot, and I keep scaling the scope up bigger and bigger (and probably will go even bigger for comfort)

But dang as lock-solid as tracking feels on your hands with sabers or guns, if you're looking through a long-range scope you really notice all those tiny little bumps and sways. Part of that is your hands and part of it is the tracking, and part of that is the challenge of sniping, but it feels pretty rough.

I hopped in H3VR to check how Anton does it, and dang those snipers feel all over the place! Does anybody ITT use scopes in H3VR who can talk about their experience with it? Or in any other VR shooters? I don't own Pavlov (should have bought it last weekend) so not sure if they're using lots of aim smoothing or just letting it be all bumpy or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

So I'm working on the sniper level, I've applied a few frames of aim smoothing and stabilization which helps a lot, and I keep scaling the scope up bigger and bigger (and probably will go even bigger for comfort)

But dang as lock-solid as tracking feels on your hands with sabers or guns, if you're looking through a long-range scope you really notice all those tiny little bumps and sways. Part of that is your hands and part of it is the tracking, and part of that is the challenge of sniping, but it feels pretty rough.

I hopped in H3VR to check how Anton does it, and dang those snipers feel all over the place! Does anybody ITT use scopes in H3VR who can talk about their experience with it? Or in any other VR shooters? I don't own Pavlov (should have bought it last weekend) so not sure if they're using lots of aim smoothing or just letting it be all bumpy or what.

I've played a lot of H3VR. View through a scope is jumpy because you're holding your hands out in front of you are an awkward angle and the controllers weigh nothing at all. It's actually pretty much what it's like looking though a high magnification scope while standing with no support at all.

You can either brace your hand against something, or maybe get one of those virtual stocks to attach your controllers to. In H3VR there is a "virtual stock" which lets you push the gun into your virtual shoulder and eliminate some vibration in that one dimension, but otherwise you just have to hold still.