Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Well, that sure was sad.

Also, full credit to Yoshie for kicking rear end on the crossword category after talking up her skills in her first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Darth Brooks posted:

You weren't alone.

Got to the end of the episode and went back to the DVR menu, which was full of episodes of Huell Howser being a goofball. Two people who came from elsewhere and became citizens of their new homes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TL posted:

As a kid, my wife had a PC version of Jeopardy which came on a floppy disk. Her Dad was playing around with the disk, found all the .wav files of Alex doing voiceover, and the sound effects, and re-recorded them in his voice. When my wife started a game, the first thing she would hear is her father going "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo" for the board fill.

That's really cool! I hope she was able to keep the .wavs.

I was reluctant to watch last night's episode because I knew it'd be sad. But I'm glad I did; that was a great tribute. Alex hosted Jeopardy almost my entire life (I was born in March of '84). He will be missed.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's really cool! I hope she was able to keep the .wavs.

Sadly, no. She looks for the disks every time we're at her parents but they haven't come up yet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Not ready for a new era!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't understand why they're having Couric guest host at all. There's no way she'll be the final host (he says tempting fate)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like that Ken plays up the tension of Daily Doubles a bit more. Not full on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire style, but it's nice to see little details in which he does things differently.

I liked him overall even if I think that someone like Lavar Burton would probably be better at just like reading the questions.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 12, 2021

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like that Ken plays up the tension of Double Jeopardy a bit more. Not full on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire style, but it's nice to see little details in which he does things differently.

He did that with one of the Daily Doubles as well. I don’t think he’s the only one who could do the job well, but it felt right.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, that wasn't horrible.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not horrible, but not great either. Obviously he needs time to settle into it, but the Jeopardy round felt like it was on fast forward at times. I guess that’s better than running out of time and leaving clues on the board, but the pace still felt off.

And no matter how much better he gets at the pacing, his voice just can’t compare to Alex’s silky baritone. This is where LeVar is really gonna shine, assuming they give him a shot.

Also, while Alex often had an undertone of smugness when he would read the correct response to a clue the contestants missed, Ken’s smugness has a little extra something to it. A little extra “I would have gotten that one”, if you will. I can’t decide if I like this or not.

I was the biggest proponent of Ken Jennings taking over for the past couple years, and I’m thrilled they’re giving him first crack at it. I just hope LeVar and a few other people get a shot too.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't understand why they're having Couric guest host at all. There's no way she'll be the final host (he says tempting fate)

Well yeah they have to put Levar Burton as guest host to shut twitter up.
It's probably kens job anyways as he is a producer of the show but I do like that they are trying other hosts out.
Chris Gethard would be another good choice for guest host.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought he did fine, honestly, and I liked the little monologue he delivered at the beginning of the show. But I'd definitely like to see LeVar get a chance. He'd be a great host. Katie Couric is out of left field, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The inflection just wasn't there. It's not Ken's fault he isn't an authoritative figure, but I feel the show needs that. His diction wasn't always 100% clear either. A lot of that's his voice not being strong enough.

Not bad. We'll see if he settles in better.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is it possible they sped up the Jeopardy round in post because they had to let the round go longer to get that whole Apple TV show category in?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I thought that was drat good for the first episode of someone without hosting experience. I skipped the interviews but I assume they weren't any more awkward than usual.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is it possible they sped up the Jeopardy round in post because they had to let the round go longer to get that whole Apple TV show category in?

No, they do categories with video like that all the time.

I thought Ken was good. Better than I expected. I imagine in a month he’ll probably be quite good. But I agree that I want to see LeVar and a few others but not a Katie Couric.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I did ok for Alex's final episode, but when Ken started choking up during his opening speech that got me.

I think he did fine, he just doesn't have the right voice for it....but that's also biased coming off of Alex. I still want Levar Burton. Too bad James Earl Jones is 89.

EDIT: gently caress me, Morgan Freeman is 83. Who will narrate our lives when they're gone :negative:

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

HookShot posted:

No, they do categories with video like that all the time.

Oh. I had heard that they contractually have to play every clue in sponsored categories, so if it's the last category they can't cut the round short for time, and I figured they have to make up the time somehow.

Either way, Ken sounded like he was rushing to get through the clues. He sounded a bit unnatural when he wasn't reading the clues, but I'm sure he'll get better quickly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Oh. I had heard that they contractually have to play every clue in sponsored categories, so if it's the last category they can't cut the round short for time, and I figured they have to make up the time somehow.

Either way, Ken sounded like he was rushing to get through the clues. He sounded a bit unnatural when he wasn't reading the clues, but I'm sure he'll get better quickly.

I believe they generally do this by editing the contestant interviews more.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It did seem odd that the dude in the middle just explained his weird finger thing and the champion got like 5x as much time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
As much as it didn't make great television, the contestants seemed to feed really well off of Ken's diction and pacing. There'd be room to grow off of that.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I did ok for Alex's final episode, but when Ken started choking up during his opening speech that got me.

I think he did fine, he just doesn't have the right voice for it....but that's also biased coming off of Alex. I still want Levar Burton. Too bad James Earl Jones is 89.

EDIT: gently caress me, Morgan Freeman is 83. Who will narrate our lives when they're gone :negative:

Keith David maybe

As for Ken, given the circumstances he did better than I expected. He doesn't have the type of voice that commands authority but it's clear he has respect for the game and the players. Since he did record thirty games, a better judgment should be made then.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
My verdict is "he can stay for now". He's fine, could've been better, but he didn't leave me desperately wishing that he was someone else (aside from Alex of course). We'll see how he looks after his six weeks are up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wow, I hadn’t heard that Ken was in for six weeks. Seems like a lot, especially since I think Katie Couric is only doing one week?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Ken did fine considering the circumstances. This was always going to be the worst show just as a result of Ken not having a lot of experience and all the pressure that comes with having the first post-Alex episode. I imagine he'll become more comfortable with the following games.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Seeing someone else hosting drove home that Alex is gone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Rip Alex.

That said, Ken did a really good job I thought. I honestly don’t mind his voice at all, and he should in get better with experience.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wow, I hadn’t heard that Ken was in for six weeks. Seems like a lot, especially since I think Katie Couric is only doing one week?

I guess I buried the lede for some but he has at least six weeks

The New York Times posted:

On Monday, the trial period starts with Ken Jennings, the record-breaking “Jeopardy!” contestant, who has already taped at least 30 episodes

It's grossly unfair to judge based on one emotionally piqued episode. Assuming Bean Dad and his Twitter account didn't knock him out of the running, six weeks should be enough to make a fair assessment on Ken

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

christmas boots posted:

I think Ken did fine considering the circumstances. This was always going to be the worst show just as a result of Ken not having a lot of experience and all the pressure that comes with having the first post-Alex episode. I imagine he'll become more comfortable with the following games.

And Ken is going to have an emotional connection to Alex and the show that Katie and LeVar don't. I don't think that episode was easy for him. It seemed less like he didn't have enough of an authoritative voice than he was holding back a bit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Darth Brooks posted:

Seeing someone else hosting drove home that Alex is gone.

Yeah, when Johnny Gilbert introduced him my brain went "Alexxxxxxx Trebek" at the right spot and... that's not what he said :smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Island Nation posted:

I guess I buried the lede for some but he has at least six weeks

It's grossly unfair to judge based on one emotionally piqued episode. Assuming Bean Dad and his Twitter account didn't knock him out of the running, six weeks should be enough to make a fair assessment on Ken

Bean Dad? That was like 5 years ago. No one remembers it.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, when Johnny Gilbert introduced him my brain went "Alexxxxxxx Trebek" at the right spot and... that's not what he said :smith:

Hearing Johnny Gilbert say "Ken Jennings" without telling me his cash total winnings was weird too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Hearing Johnny Gilbert say "Ken Jennings" without telling me his cash total winnings was weird too.

He really should just go ahead advertise every guest host's total cash winnings.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Iron Crowned posted:

He really should just go ahead advertise every guest host's total cash winnings.

Tonight's guest host is Wolf Blitzer...

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1349056749593120768

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Tonight's guest host is Wolf Blitzer...

Kevin O'Leary LOL

I gotta say I am not excited about these new guest hosts. Aaron Rodgers? Seriously? Where is Levar? Where is Brooke Burns? Where is Aisha Tyler? All people who might actually be good at this.

Also, word is from the contestants that were there this week that Ken was very good at making them feel comfortable with the whole contestant experience, and also great with them given the whole situation they were all in. I've seen more than one sing his praises with how he handled not only the on-air stuff but also everything off the air as well.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

HookShot posted:

Kevin O'Leary LOL

I gotta say I am not excited about these new guest hosts. Aaron Rodgers? Seriously? Where is Levar? Where is Brooke Burns? Where is Aisha Tyler? All people who might actually be good at this.

I think most of these guests are of the "big celebrity for the ratings" variety. Not the "serious consideration for perment host" type.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I bet they'd get huge ratings if they let Donald Trump host for a week.

lol

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

gently caress me, Morgan Freeman is 83. Who will narrate our lives when they're gone :negative:
Sterling K. Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's a smilodon or sabertooth cat, there's no such thing as a sabertooth tiger :argh: