Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Has there been any guidance from DoD or OPM regarding security clearances and their holders' responsibilities not to condone it or have they been silent so far?

The executive branch is a dumpster fire until January 20. Sooooo, highly doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stickman posted:

That's what "defund" means. They get zero dollars, presumably their department and job ceases to exist, and then it community safety and security can be rebuilt from the ground up. "Defund" was just chosen because it was gentler than "Destroy" or "Eliminate" and included the direct path by which it could be most simply accomplished.

I really, really wish they'd hit on going with disarm instead of defund. US cops would get that crash course in deescalation they so desperately need if we just took away their guns.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Djarum posted:

I'd probably report those you have an idea about to the FBI. As much as I hate narcing to the cops this is one of the few times it is quite ok in my book.

there are a few cases where it's appropriate:

to paraphrase today's WTYP podcast ep, if somebody's making a credible death threat against myself or my family I'm calling the cops. If I find evidence of child exploitation, I'm calling the cops. If I think you're tied to recent terroristic events in the country, calling the cops. That's not incompatible with leftism, it's not the same as expecting certain behavior out of the cops or being aware of their problems/affiliations. I'm not going to refrain from turning in CP because "NARC'ing".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Murgos posted:

Welp. He ded. Wonder what Trump Tower and Mar-a-lago will get renamed to by the new owners.

There is another semi-famous Florida palace built around the same time that was turned into a pretty cool museum. Mar a lago should be seized and turned into a public space as well, perhaps a giant urinal or horse stable, and renamed accordingly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

skylined! posted:

There is another semi-famous Florida palace built around the same time that was turned into a pretty cool museum. Mar a lago should be seized and turned into a public space as well, perhaps a giant urinal or horse stable, and renamed accordingly.

I could credibly see Mar a Lago being turned into the Trump Library one day

poor building......

Edit: I do hope Coral Gables gets to reclaim it and does something of value

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How do you deal with de-radicalizing the police across this country

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1348812659114831874

Defunding doesn't fix this. You have to destroy and rebuild from the ground up.

That will likely be what will have to be done. You do extended background checks, fire a ton of them and then require strict standards going forward. A 4 year degree and then completion of a proper training program should be a bare minimum with a 2 year probationary period once you become a member of law enforcement. Law Enforcement is overseen by a non-partisan third party with a large part is filled with members of the community. It should be hard to become a member of law enforcement and they should be held to a higher level of standards than the public.

Fojar38 posted:

Has the possibility of extending secret service protection for members of congress ever been entertained? It might be something that would be useful to look at since apparently there were Republicans whose fear for their family's safety was influencing their votes.

If that is true, which I take a huge grain of salt with, then they have the ability to get Federal Protection and those making threats investigated by the FBI. If they were that scared of doing the right thing every single one would take that in an instant. I know more than one GOP House member did that during the BLM protests this summer even though they had no creditable threats against them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

I really, really wish they'd hit on going with disarm instead of defund. US cops would get that crash course in deescalation they so desperately need if we just took away their guns.

Americans would almost certainly consider "disarm" more controversial than "defund." The Cult Of Gun is the strongest religion in the country.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And hold them to a higher standard. One and done and you're out in terms of breaking laws or doing things that go against the actual job.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I really hope this is true

https://twitter.com/Nutcaseman1/status/1348810779047374848

He's petty enough to do that. I really don't see why Pence wouldn't pardon him.

Trump spent a lot of time pointing his supporters at Pence to pressure him into doing something he couldn’t do. So the when he didn’t do it they tried to kill him.

I can see why pence may hold a grudge.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ImpAtom posted:

Americans would almost certainly consider "disarm" more controversial than "defund." The Cult Of Gun is the strongest religion in the country.

Americans aren't a homogeneous block and a lot of Americans, especially Americans who live in places with high levels of police violence, would probably support it.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Stop hiring white dudes, bing bong.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aw, did Parler find a new host already? https://www.vice.com/en/article/4ad7dp/parler-finds-refuge-with-the-far-rights-favorite-webhost

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ok Comboomer posted:

there are a few cases where it's appropriate:

to paraphrase today's WTYP podcast ep, if somebody's making a credible death threat against myself or my family I'm calling the cops. If I find evidence of child exploitation, I'm calling the cops. If I think you're tied to recent terroristic events in the country, calling the cops. That's not incompatible with leftism, it's not the same as expecting certain behavior out of the cops or being aware of their problems/affiliations. I'm not going to refrain from turning in CP because "NARC'ing".

I agree. My problem with it ethically is that there is nothing wrong with being right wing, even extreme right wing. I don't like the idea of reporting people to law enforcement because they have a political philosophy. Now if you know someone was at this nonsense or making threats/claims, sure report away.

I try to look at it from the other way around, since this will no doubt be used against leftist groups in the future.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1348806511410163713

Hi, the government is filled with rot everywhere.

Oh so that’s why they switched up Biden’s detail. It’s gonna be bad times ahead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1348807868548608001

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope Zuckerberg is happy he ruined the country so that he can be worth more money than 10 generations of his descendants could ever spend

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I really hope this is true

https://twitter.com/Nutcaseman1/status/1348810779047374848

He's petty enough to do that. I really don't see why Pence wouldn't pardon him.

Is that true!?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I can't believe CloudFlare hasn't yet dropped it's protection of thedonald.win

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope Zuckerberg is happy he ruined the country so that he can be worth more money than 10 generations of his descendants could ever spend
See, you went wrong here when you assumed Zuck feels human emotions.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

They shouldn't obviously gun for him until after the 20th or he's going to use even more of his powers to try anything at all to save himself.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

There are ways around it. Just push all the mobile and broadband carriers to blacklist parler from the DNS servers. 99% of people won't know how to get around it. And the ones who need to be as horrible as possible can get heavily monitored by the FBI.

This stuff is viable and doable.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

cr0y posted:

Cloudflare is exceedingly slow when it comes to dropping fascist clients. They don't get enough ire for that.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

There are ways around it. Just push all the mobile and broadband carriers to blacklist parler from the DNS servers. 99% of people won't know how to get around it. And the ones who need to be as horrible as possible can get heavily monitored by the FBI.

My IT knowledge is better than the average persons but not an expert so this might sound like a dumb question but wouldn't that just lead to the IP address for Parler spreading all throughout reddit and thedonald.win etc?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1348806511410163713

Hi, the government is filled with rot everywhere.

That's freaking insanity, I thought those guys were vetted to the absolute max and rigorously trained to be impartial?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FiskTireBoy posted:

My IT knowledge is better than the average persons but not an expert so this might sound like a dumb question but wouldn't that just lead to the IP address for Parler spreading all throughout reddit and thedonald.win etc?

Yes but most end users would struggle to setup a hosts file correctly.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

cr0y posted:

Cloudflare has had a bunch of "we find hate distasteful but must stand up for free speech and taking nazi money" moments. They've backed down under major public pressure around sites like the Daily Stormer, but thedonald.win is so small and fringe, nobody really cares.

Waltzing Along posted:

No need.

Parler might have had a shot at taking off if Trump had immediately moved over there, they'd stayed up, and brought on a bunch of new users. This was basically their one shot to make it where all the old "Facebook/Twitter but for the right wing" contenders had failed. But - they didn't manage to do that. In a month, nobody's going to care what Parler is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

That's freaking insanity, I thought those guys were vetted to the absolute max and rigorously trained to be impartial?

yeah, but this is what inevitably happens when the entire law enforcement and security apparatus is right wing as gently caress from bottom to top

the people doing the vetting are biased, and blinded/guided by those biases

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FiskTireBoy posted:

To some extent, yeah. But a lot of people would still go away. People rely on apps and things being easy. I've worked in IT for years and even many developers don't know how to do anything technical. It's weird.

But to go even further, verizon, for instance, could just blacklist the IP. Parler could be effectively shut down due to being a nazi breeding ground.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rea posted:

Cloudflare is exceedingly slow when it comes to dropping fascist clients. They don't get enough ire for that.

Who hosts Stormfront? I mean if that place can stay up there must not be that big of an obstacle. Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody has gone after Stormfront in all of this, considering the direct ties many of these terrorists have to white supremacist groups.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Is it bad that I kind of want this, just as a provable example of how they're not actually being "censored"? Without being on any app stores they're dead for all intents and purposes anyway. I don't mind terrible people having a way to communicate with each other nearly as much as I mind the possibility of mainstream algorithms directing non-radicalized people to that stuff.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Even if they were fine when they joined the force, if they started to watch FOX since then, their brains could have melted.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Youth Decay posted:

Who hosts Stormfront? I mean if that place can stay up there must not be that big of an obstacle. Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody has gone after Stormfront in all of this, considering the direct ties many of these terrorists have to white supremacist groups.

Cloudflare doesn't host Stormfront but it does allow them to pay for its DDoS protection. Like I said, they're very bad about this.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

Is it bad that I kind of want this, just as a provable example of how they're not actually being "censored"? Without being on any app stores they're dead for all intents and purposes anyway. I don't mind terrible people having a way to communicate with each other nearly as much as I mind the possibility of mainstream algorithms directing non-radicalized people to that stuff.

They should die the same quiet death that voat did.

What's that reddit-lite site that the TERFs fled to when they were booted from reddit? Maybe they'll join forces.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rea posted:

Pretty sure their head made a big "free speech" argument in favor of hosting Stormfront, e.g. the not-even-trying-to-hide-it nazis.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

-Blackadder- posted:

From friends who've been there getting a security clearance is hard. Keeping it after you get it is not.

Where this poo poo gets scary is "assassinated by person or person on your own security detail/bodyguards/army" has been one of the more effective tactics out there so they're going to have to dig deep for brainworms on Biden's detail.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't mind terrible people having a way to communicate with each other nearly as much as I mind the possibility of mainstream algorithms directing non-radicalized people to that stuff.

This is a pretty nuanced take I haven't seen expressed this way before, and I think it's a reasonable approach.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

I've worked in IT for years and even many developers don't know how to do anything technical. It's weird.

Same. A lot of the blame come from so many of these people coming out of boot camps and the like that sort of knows how to do whatever they learned but many have barely used a computer outside of that. Also the amount of people under 30 that have no idea how to use a computer despite having them around their entire life.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

OddObserver posted:

EITC is anything but byzantine. (And is secretly disguised direct assistance, as it can produce negative tax rate).

EITC and the child stuff with two kids is like +$8,000 in April. It's bullshit that people have to fill out tax forms to get anything like it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Waltzing Along posted:

To some extent, yeah. But a lot of people would still go away. People rely on apps and things being easy. I've worked in IT for years and even many developers don't know how to do anything technical. It's weird.

Even a tiny bit of extra effort will stop most people. Just getting them to type something new into their browser's address bar or an app store is an uphill battle. Getting a new user to add an entry to their hosts file in order to use a site or app might as well be asking them to solve a complex logic puzzle with clues hidden in the middle of the Sahara.

Facebook radicalizes so many people because they get on it to look at cute pictures of their grandchildren, buy or sell some stuff on the marketplace section, and maybe join a Boomeriest Minion Memes group. While they're there doing those things, the site actively pushes content that tends to make people stay on the site and engage more - far-right conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rea posted:

They almost never do it as a matter of course, I think the only times they've buckled are for The Daily Stormer and 8chan, and they only dropped the latter after it sparked a mass shooting