Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He also said something to the effect of "Good luck with Honda next year - they will need it" in the 2018-2019 offseason and then proceeded to nearly get defeated by their B-Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always found it weird how many people bought into the Honda engine being a complete dog at the end of their tenure with Mclaren. The first year or two was rough but there was pretty clear signs emerging from that point forward that the engine wasn’t really holding the Mclaren back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Alpine are going to get repeatedly beaten by Alpha Tauri, I have no idea why they bothered getting Alonso back. Maybe they are hoping to do a repeat of 2012 when Kimi went back to Lotus.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 11, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I used to think it was like 95% Honda's fault until Bahrain 2018 - that's when I, and I imagine a lot of other people, started to realize that McLaren (specifically Boullier) were completely full of poo poo WRT to their car. The 2018 McLaren was a complete dog - Vandoorne scored even less points than he did in 2017.

You hear about the idiotic restrictions McLaren put on Honda with packaging, Honda being blamed for McLaren's transmission not being able to bolt to the engine (which makes 0 sense - McLaren designed it!!). I think the reason why Alonso lost a lot of goodwill in general was because of that season in particular, and the embarrassing DNQ at Indy. "Now we can fight" (for 15th place) even if he was having smoke blown up his rear end by Bouillier who made those ridiculous "best chassis - we would win with any other engine" statements. Say what you will about Zak Brown ,he was smart to cut Bouiller and release Alonso. I actually like the team now.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McLaren? They own, OP.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

With Cyril gone maybe Red Bull will get one of their engines again

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

McLaren? They own, OP.

:hmmyes:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’m pretty sure Liberty was involved in getting Alonso back to some extent because he has the only decently interesting narrative in F1 in the past decade that can still be placed on the grid. They need something to make people turn over and watch this dogshit at this point.

I don’t think it’s going to work. Like Frond said Alonso lost all his goodwill among anyone with common sense at this point, nobody wants to hear the third go round of this giant baby having a nuclear meltdown because the car isn’t the absolute best one on the grid and requires some development.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

Isn't it really late in the day to be swapping engine manufacturer? How close to the season start did Brawn get the Mercedes deal agreed?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

net work error posted:

Now I've created a great conspiracy in my head that Horner went over Abetiboul's head and told Renault that he'd be happy to take their engine as long as Abetiboul got fired.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't it really late in the day to be swapping engine manufacturer? How close to the season start did Brawn get the Mercedes deal agreed?

I mean what else are they going to do rebuild the Honda units from last year?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess it's more likely than them taking over the Honda IP and becoming an engine developer themselves

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Even if they buy the Honda engines, who is going to assemble them? KTM I guess?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the corona quid posted:

Even if they buy the Honda engines, who is going to assemble them? KTM I guess?

Wasn't there some rumour that they'd rebadge them as Mugen and they would be the ones fitting them out?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wasn't there some rumour that they'd rebadge them as Mugen and they would be the ones fitting them out?

The whole thing raises more questions than answers for me.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
renault was always on the verge of loving off imo, this alpine stuff is proof that they will stay?

the idiots of sky f1 will still call them renault so who cares

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the corona quid posted:

I always found it weird how many people bought into the Honda engine being a complete dog at the end of their tenure with Mclaren. The first year or two was rough but there was pretty clear signs emerging from that point forward that the engine wasn’t really holding the Mclaren back.

Continuing to employ Stoffel Vandoorne was the biggest red flag IMO

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

renault was always on the verge of loving off imo, this alpine stuff is proof that they will stay?

the idiots of sky f1 will still call them renault so who cares

All Peen

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

McLaren? They own, OP.

Checks out.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1348583447258869761?s=20

Keep it up F1.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"clear mistake" "have dealt with this and will continue to deal with this" - Harvey Weinstein's production company, 2005

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

"Yes, bring someone up to the pinnacle of the sport so that they can 'grow up' is a good idea," thought Guenther, an idiot, a complete moron

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Look like a bunch of loving wankers out there

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
hass should get the gently caress out of this sport. totally useless team

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If your business needs to promote nonces to survive, your business needs to loving die.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I think nonce is specifically a pedophile where marzipan is what I think the brits call a run of the mill sex pest

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CancerCakes posted:

I'm reading the Newey book at the moment and enjoying it. Any reccs for something to read after?

The Mechanic's Tale

also Aussie Grit while watching the vettel-hockenheim.gif in a loop

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 12, 2021

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-12/australian-formula-one-grand-prix-postpopned-until-november/13052388

Good

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

the corona quid posted:

I don’t even get why Alpine is being spun into a brand tbh. It was a niche sports car model from 30 years ago, nobody is loving asking for french sports cars in 2021, we just want our loving normal lives back not more bizarre poo poo we can’t deal with.

Hasn’t Alpine had a grand total of like 1 model that has likely been outsold by the Bugatti Chiron since it was reborn 6 years ago or whenever it was?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ROFLBOT posted:

Hasn’t Alpine had a grand total of like 1 model that has likely been outsold by the Bugatti Chiron since it was reborn 6 years ago or whenever it was?

it's a very nice blue

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They’ll rename it back to Renault if they start winning again until then they are now loser team Alpine

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

They’ll rename it back to Renault if they start winning again until then they are now loser team Alpine

so, Alpine is here for the long haul

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It's important that once a decade Renault becomes an unpopular sports car marque so that it can re-emerge a few years later as a bloated and underwhelming midfield team.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

in unrelated news i downloaded the f1 2020 game for my ps5. it's more difficult than mario kart but not by a lot.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dictator. posted:

in unrelated news i downloaded the f1 2020 game for my ps5. it's more difficult than mario kart but not by a lot.

It's a lot of fun. Do you have a wheel and pedals, or are you using a controller?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

lol if you don't play it with a 2000 eur cast iron simracing setup feeding all the telemetry real time to a seperate data aquisition VM running on unraid, to study it while eating rice out of an AI controlled rice cooker.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tuo posted:

lol if you don't play it with a 2000 eur cast iron simracing setup feeding all the telemetry real time to a seperate data aquisition VM running on unraid, to study it while eating rice out of an AI controlled rice cooker.

Find the body of one of last years cars, then build a full hydraulic system to tilt it as you drive.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cessna posted:

Find the body of one of last years cars, then build a full hydraulic system to tilt it as you drive.

I never 3d printed an outer shell based on some released cad data from an actual f1 car from a recent bankrupt team for my own simrig to make it look nice and cancelled the project after like 200 hours of constant printing. NEVER!!!

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Cessna posted:

It's a lot of fun. Do you have a wheel and pedals, or are you using a controller?

Just a controller for now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

2000 euro? thats poverty spec, you need quad sli 3090's or why are you even bothering