Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

It's an alternate history map of Europe as depicted in Valkyria Chronicles, but there's some good headscratchers in the lore
Belgium as a sea, as someone who grew up in the part of France where we still dig ww1 war shells out of the fields, i can see the advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

China and India pretty famously have a lot of big expensive buildings and homes that stand empty as just stores of value for rich people. New York City and London have similar deals, but they try to keep more quiet about it because they're often part of money laundering schemes to take money from people that usually would be illegal.

I don't really know if the rest of Europe has that, but there's probably a lot of tax shelters who would love to use real estate as an abstract store of value rather than a real asset that humans could use and benefit from.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Toplowtech posted:

Belgium as a sea, as someone who grew up in the part of France where we still dig ww1 war shells out of the fields, i can see the advantage.

Actually Belgium is where Gallia would be on that map. It seems like they combined the experiences of the Benelux, Finland and the Baltic states together in the same way they mashed Germany and Russia together as the Empire.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Badger of Basra posted:

Why's there an empty lot next to it?
That's for The Two.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Please bear in mind a ton of these unoccupied properties in the south of Europe are actually tourism rental properties. There is also a terrible housing shortage in the same regions. People working normal jobs can not afford rent while the rental properties stay empty nine months of the year.

It is also customary to work in Northern Europe as a guest worker and use the earnings to build a big property with apartments for you and your offspring which remains unoccupied. Because, who would want to live under the same roof with a prying parent whose ideas and values got frozen in time forty years ago when they left the country to work in Germany.

This is a good point. I wonder in Cyprus's case how much of these types of buildings and processes are getting extra messed up by Brexit finally actually happening.
Cyprus is British Florida after all.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Please bear in mind a ton of these unoccupied properties in the south of Europe are actually tourism rental properties. There is also a terrible housing shortage in the same regions. People working normal jobs can not afford rent while the rental properties stay empty nine months of the year.

It is also customary to work in Northern Europe as a guest worker and use the earnings to build a big property with apartments for you and your offspring which remains unoccupied. Because, who would want to live under the same roof with a prying parent whose ideas and values got frozen in time forty years ago when they left the country to work in Germany.

In Greece and Cyprus this is true of the big cities, but the majority of the half-finished houses we're talking about are located a ways away from major tourist areas, and are more often intended to be family or vacation homes. The reason they can sit unfinished for years is usually because they're located on cheaper lots of land outside of local towns.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

MeinPanzer posted:

In Greece and Cyprus this is true of the big cities, but the majority of the half-finished houses we're talking about are located a ways away from major tourist areas, and are more often intended to be family or vacation homes. The reason they can sit unfinished for years is usually because they're located on cheaper lots of land outside of local towns.

In Cyprus where I was seeing this was near the coasts, both near cities and not, which is the tourist area in of itself all around.
I didn't notice those buildings up in the mountain villages, where most foreign tourists never go (like morons because those are the actual gorgeous areas in terms of both nature and human settlements).

I hope it continues like that though because the mountain villages are enhanced by the lack of British boomers.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SlothfulCobra posted:

China and India pretty famously have a lot of big expensive buildings and homes that stand empty as just stores of value for rich people. New York City and London have similar deals, but they try to keep more quiet about it because they're often part of money laundering schemes to take money from people that usually would be illegal.

I don't really know if the rest of Europe has that, but there's probably a lot of tax shelters who would love to use real estate as an abstract store of value rather than a real asset that humans could use and benefit from.

It's the same in Paris. Maybe with more Airbnb rentals (but not anymore lol).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grape posted:

This is a good point. I wonder in Cyprus's case how much of these types of buildings and processes are getting extra messed up by Brexit finally actually happening.
Cyprus is British Florida after all.

IIRC Cyprus is especially popular for money-laundering Russian oligarchs and some Chinese businessmen, I think Brexit is not going to affect is as much as you might think.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

IIRC Cyprus is especially popular for money-laundering Russian oligarchs and some Chinese businessmen, I think Brexit is not going to affect is as much as you might think.

Question, the British army bases on Cyprus are technically British soil, but the area is large enough there's Cypriot villages on them and they have some sort of cooperation for legal stuff...

Are those bases now outside Schengen? Is there a provision in the Brexit deal like the one they made for Gibraltar? Or what?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I'm well aware (I could even tell you which two cities are the nexus for each of those nation's focus respectively).
But still British tourism and retirement is an economic big deal all the same.
Of course Cypriots really don't like the British so its one of those things they might be quite happy to live with.
Now if only Brexit meant somehow removing those two Guantanamo Bays...

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Carbon dioxide posted:

Question, the British army bases on Cyprus are technically British soil, but the area is large enough there's Cypriot villages on them and they have some sort of cooperation for legal stuff...

Are those bases now outside Schengen? Is there a provision in the Brexit deal like the one they made for Gibraltar? Or what?

Cyprus is not in Schengen. Anyway it falls back on a treaty that is older than Cyprus EU membership so there's no plan to build a real border there

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Here's a city map if we're posting those. This is from last year so may have changed very slightly. I like it because people think of Chicago as a big city but even it bans apartments in huge parts of the city.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pyromancer posted:

Cyprus is not in Schengen. Anyway it falls back on a treaty that is older than Cyprus EU membership so there's no plan to build a real border there

The treaty is technically older than Cyprus itself let alone EU membership, in the sense that it was part of the treaty that actually granted them independence from the UK in the first place.

The bases are really cool because Britain getting into scuffles with nearby countries like Syria could potentially mean blowback hitting nearby Cypriot settlements.
Such as the tiny village of Limassol right next to the Akrotiri base. And by "tiny village" I mean "second largest city on the island".

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Here's a city map if we're posting those. This is from last year so may have changed very slightly. I like it because people think of Chicago as a big city but even it bans apartments in huge parts of the city.

I would have thought O'Hare would be classified as No Residential Allowed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tom Hanks would like a word

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Cyprus is not in Schengen.

Huh, you're right. Apparently they started an application to get in on September 2019 and it's still under review.

That's gonna be Something concerning the crossings to the Turkish side.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Badger of Basra posted:

Rosemont, IL would fit well in this thread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Molentik posted:

All that while there are more than 70 MILLION m2 of buildings unused and empty, it makes me furious.

And to top it all off, up until 2010 squatting was actually legal in specific circumstances, but the goddamn VVD/CDA made that illegal with up to two years in prison.

Assholes!

I'm gonna guess they're some sort of dutch far right party. Is that geerts party?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
No.

VVD is the mainstream liberals (although to be fair, ideologically they have been very influenced by US libertarian thinkers, and they were Wilder's original party before he broke away, formed his own party [or well, movement, technically his party isn't a party, on account of having only 1 member: him])

CDA is the mainstream christian democrats, except they've PASOKified pretty hard about 10 years ago, and their voting base is primarily olds, so rapidly dying off. Especially with the completely bungled Covid response (by the CDA minister of health loving lol)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Getting Christian pensioners to Jesus as fast as possible is a moral good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

VVD is the mainstream liberals

I think this is a good moment to make note of the fact that unlike the topsy turvy US system, in Europe 'liberals' refers to the moderate-right.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

New Map Men:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqzwsM6eoQ

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

dublish posted:

I would have thought O'Hare would be classified as No Residential Allowed.

It almost certainly doesn't allow residential but every Planned Development is different so I guess they just went with the safe choice and put it there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I may have been told bullshit but the unfinished houses in Cyprus thing was a tax fiddle. An extra floor that is never finished, with less or no tax paid on unfinished buildings.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I may have been told bullshit but the unfinished houses in Cyprus thing was a tax fiddle. An extra floor that is never finished, with less or no tax paid on unfinished buildings.

Reminds me of that dumb loophole in the Belgian law where there's a 21% VAT on new houses but 6% on renovations, so many people buy an old house, knock down everything but one tiny wall and build a new house on it for a 6% VAT because it's technically a renovation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All this talk about unfinished buildings and no one's yet brought up this Central Florida "landmark" that's been under construction since 2001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majesty_Building

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah, while a lot of them genuinely are unfinished, and are just concrete skeletons, you do also see basically finished, habitable houses that just have some telltale rebar sticking out of the roof as well.

The Greeks have had a rough go of things, but they are pretty crafty when it comes to tax evasion. See also the permanently-empty “family restaurants”/“cafes” that exist in basically every tiny village. In practice they’re just an extended family room with a kitchen attached that exist for tax breaks. They’ll serve you a frappe and have some sad tyropitas or cookies available for sale but they’re always surprised when any non-resident of the village rolls in.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Xelkelvos posted:

All this talk about unfinished buildings and no one's yet brought up this Central Florida "landmark" that's been under construction since 2001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majesty_Building

The renovations to the Brussels Palace of Justice will be done in 2040

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cute to imagine Belgium will be above sea level in 2040

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think this is a good moment to make note of the fact that unlike the topsy turvy US system, in Europe 'liberals' refers to the moderate-right.

It refers to that in the us too, the only people who call dems left-wing are the out and proud fascists party

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Basques are ancient Koreans.

From this excellent thread I happened upon:
https://twitter.com/javiercha/status/1347805405100060673?s=20

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Was this before or after the Hyperwar?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's a whole lot of work that the Russians did for extremely little relative return.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Map request: Countries whose leaders are banned from Twitter.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

Huh, you're right. Apparently they started an application to get in on September 2019 and it's still under review.

That's gonna be Something concerning the crossings to the Turkish side.

It definitely is. The north is some kind of super weird legal purgatory in various ways.
They likewise don't have access to the insta-VISA waiver program for US visits that most European/EU countries have.

MeinPanzer posted:

The Greeks have had a rough go of things, but they are pretty crafty when it comes to tax evasion. See also the permanently-empty “family restaurants”/“cafes” that exist in basically every tiny village. In practice they’re just an extended family room with a kitchen attached that exist for tax breaks. They’ll serve you a frappe and have some sad tyropitas or cookies available for sale but they’re always surprised when any non-resident of the village rolls in.

lol I was wondering about those
Like these little semi-business things that exist in teeny tiny villages that are only ever visited by relatives of the people who live in them.

They're basically just bars/party patios for when the extended family does a big church service/wedding/funeral whatever. But with tax breaks? Genius lol.

Grape fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah I remember hearing that when the Eurozone financial crisis hit, Greece decided to audit the number of swimming pools in Athens as you had to pay a levy if you had a pool.

Instead of the 300 or so pools that were registered, auditing satellite imagery found nearly 17,000 pools.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Grape posted:

lol I was wondering about those
Like these little semi-business things that exist in teeny tiny villages that are only ever visited by relatives of the people who live in them.

They're basically just bars/party patios for when the extended family does a big church service/wedding/funeral whatever. But with tax breaks? Genius lol.

At least they're usually excited, if confused, to have randos come in and actually buy something. Thank god it's basically impossible to gently caress up making a frappe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I have a Korean friend from university who has got into this stuff and she just comes out with the wildest poo poo.

From what I understand she now believes that Koreans are a separate species of human that emerged from inside the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Sounds like a thought tendency that is easy to morph into fascism.