Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1348838400921640960?s=20

Wait what the buyout is the same as the option year? That's so loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Totally don't understand. I'd assume AAV fuckery, but this only moves the AAV down 500k, and if that's the goal then it's totally transparent.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
White Sox are always unusual

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Go ChiSox but not TLR

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drat the sox are going for it

man would a sox/padres series own, padres could have shields throw out the first pitch

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

drat the sox are going for it

man would a sox/padres series own, padres could have shields throw out the first pitch

Tatis would be the catcher

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Strasburgs UCL posted:

Does the buyout count against the tax?

Could be a way to cheat the tax

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
My laptop's being screwy and I can't post it but there's another Passan tweet saying the buyout can be paid over multiple years, if they go that route.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
The tweet:
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1348838735639703553?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was hesitant when I saw the Astros in on Hendriks given before the last two years he was so... average

But at that price, oof this free agent market

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hell of a deal for Hendriks, $54M guaranteed and even if the Sox pick up the fourth year he'll be back on the market at 34, which is still well within the realm of decent for a closer.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bees x1000 posted:

I'm assuming MLB is going to wrangle some vaccines then.

Also mods deliberately left 'Offsason'.

All players must hang out behind CVS/Walgreens at closing until they luck into vaccine doses about to expire.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Surprised Hendriks got that much considering Hand passed waivers.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

or

?????????????????

we're through the looking glass here people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General Bullshit posted:

Surprised Hendriks got that much considering Hand passed waivers.
Same

It feels like only the White Sox and Padres are doing anything to improve this off-season

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I would say the New York Metropolitans have improved

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

Same

It feels like only the White Sox and Padres are doing anything to improve this off-season

Yeah I want to apologize for including teams like the Yankees in my "they're trying" list from about 15 pages back.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I would say the New York Metropolitans have improved

Lindor was one of those trades where literally 28 fanbases are thinking "gently caress why couldn't we top that?"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 12, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope Lindor does well, the Mets extend him and banishing the Wilpons lets them at least reach the level of basic competence that lets them reasonably compete with the roster they have. Lindor is such a good guy that he deserves it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Intruder posted:

Lindor was one of those trades where literally 28 fanbases are thinking "gently caress why couldn't we top that?"

Plus they signed Trevor May and brought Stroman back on a QO. I’d like to see one more big move from them but still they’ve def made progress

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
This is nuts. Harper is totally on pace for the hall of fame. He is turning 28 and has between 33 and 36 WAR accumulated depending on whose metric you prefer. But a lot of that is all one year you say. Fine, it's an amazing year. He also just put up between 1.5 and 1.9 WAR in 60 games. Which is like a 5 WAR pace. Not incredible, but very good. He walked a ton this year. He always walks a ton, but he had the best walk rate of his career this year (and his best strikeout rate to go with it! First time he has ever walked more than K'ed) and it lead him to a 151 wRC+ for the year. Shortened season, but still. Point is, dude is a really good hitter. Not 197 wRC+ good, that year was nuts. But very good! Looking at hall of fame right fielders that have been inducted in the 21st century, the only one with a higher OPS+ through 27 is Vlad. Harper beats out Gwynn, Walker, Dawson, and Winfield. (Beats most in WAR too, though he has two additional years on most.)

Point here is that I don't see any reason to believe the original claim that he is just going to put up 3 WAR years the rest of his career.

And beyond being a good hitter statistically, as people have said, he is recognizable. Not only that, as far as *narrative* goes, he's got an MVP, and RoY, and 5 all-star games already. He is liable to put up another MVP year. And he will likely continue being a perennial all-star.

Harper is on track. He isn't on track to be the inner circle guy people projected, but he is totally on track for the hall.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

His former team won the WS literally the year he left if we want to talk narrative

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bryce Harper gets a lot of poo poo for being cocky but he's good at baseball and also he got into fights with Papelbon and Strickland who are both huge idiots. Harper is cool and I hope he continues to play well.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I sincerely doubt Harper is gonna win MVP again. But stranger things have happened. Like the Nationals winning the World Series the moment he left.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm on the positive side of the general Harper question but as for the point of his fame relative to other baseball players -- if he actually still has the #1 spot he's gotta be on the verge of losing it to Mookie or Judge just based on markets and team success (maybe Tatis if he goes off and wins an MVP)?!?!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

At 19.7 bWAR, Bryce Harper had the 12th most WAR through his age 22 season of any batter since 1901. Putting up 5 WAR in his debut at age 19 and then the MVP season put him into pretty elite company.

With 33.7 now, he's 59th for hitters through age 27.

Like a lot of guys, really depends on how his 30's go. Obviously the talent is there for him to round out a HoF career but we'll just have to wait and see.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 12, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

The Blue Jays are doing a great job at almost signing people but then not signing them

Being aggressive equates to lame duck contract offerings.

They tried!!!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Jays started salary dumping in 2018 on the premise that 2021 would be our year. We got Ryu, our young guys are ready for a playoff run, we no longer owe money to Troy Tulowitzki, and the three contenders in our division are at the weakest they ever get. As a fan I'll be furious if the Jays have no big moves this offseason.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

The Berzerker posted:

The Blue Jays are doing a great job at almost signing people but then not signing them

The classic "We tried!" strategy. As a Mets fan, I am very familiar with it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
in a perfect world I'd like the Mets to pick up Springer and a non-Bauer starter, but if the season started tomorrow I'd still be really pleased with how the offseason went

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
gently caress it, I am going on the record with a totally unscientific, pulling things out my rear end, prediction for Harper's career numbers. When he retires let's see how wrong I was.

I am going with ~74 career WAR, ~1500 walks, a hair under 500 homeruns, and ~2300 hits.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you’re a just missed signing a guy team, the White Sox were right there with you until recently, not that I’d suggest anybody embrace hope.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lets go Mets

https://twitter.com/zackfinknews/status/1349013104861061120?s=21

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
let's just hope it's not the Mets medical staff giving the jabs

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Covid is down but a sharp uptick in torn UCL sweeps across Queens.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Harper is a long ways from being a hall of famer. He's got 11 years left, isn't going to get 3k hits unless he plays until age 40 (and even then who knows), and uh, has had one top 10 season in 9 years.

Someone mentioned Reggie Jackson comp. First 9 years for Reggie he had a 152 OPS+ and led the league in OPS+ 4 times to go along with four top 5 MVP finishes with one victory. Reggie had more bWAR than Harper does through age 27 in 216 less games. That's a far off comp.

I don't even hate the guy and I think he's great baseballer. But he's got a lot of work to do at ages 28+

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

in a perfect world I'd like the Mets to pick up Springer and a non-Bauer starter, but if the season started tomorrow I'd still be really pleased with how the offseason went

Well I'd fuckin hope so

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Harper is a long ways from being a hall of famer. He's got 11 years left, isn't going to get 3k hits unless he plays until age 40 (and even then who knows), and uh, has had one top 10 season in 9 years.

Someone mentioned Reggie Jackson comp. First 9 years for Reggie he had a 152 OPS+ and led the league in OPS+ 4 times to go along with four top 5 MVP finishes with one victory. Reggie had more bWAR than Harper does through age 27 in 216 less games. That's a far off comp.

I don't even hate the guy and I think he's great baseballer. But he's got a lot of work to do at ages 28+

he's no doubt a very good baseball player, but even as a Phillies fan, I've found him difficult to totally get behind. paying this much money for a good, bland player when we could have gotten Machado for less feels dumber by the day

might be more of a reflection on the disappointing last couple of years for the team rather than him as a player, though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren’t even paying him a lot

He’s good Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This kind of stuff really damages (damaged maybe the sport is almost dead ) the sport

https://twitter.com/tonycal93/status/1349010461174472711?s=21

Imho