Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:
Very nice! Good twitter handle too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Obviously a backer piece would be ideal, but I can't think of a way to add one that preserves the ability of the rabbet to ride on the square.

This may sound silly but have you tried wrapping the end of the wood (the future end—where the blade is going to go through) in masking tape? It's often surprisingly effective at preventing that kind of tearout.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 12, 2021

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Okay so I've been lurking this thread for a while but have recently decided to dedicate basically all of my spare time to woodwork so hi.

I just found someone one suburb over getting rid of some old structural hardwood for free, for firewood. I messaged her and said "hey some of that looks too good to burn if you can hold it till tomorrow night can I grab it and make things with it" which she seems happy with.

It's Jarrah, which is a native Australian species prolific in Western Australia and is essentially the go to for hard wood here. It has a Janka rating of 1910 which is slightly harder than purpleheart, although less than some of our other hardwood species such as spotted gum or Karri, or something freakish like Ipe or red mahogany. It's a good looking wood though, termites hate it, and my house is basically made out of it, with some bricks thrown in for good measure. It tends to smoke when you drill holes in it and it will make underpowered power tools cry for the sweet release of death.

I'm most interested in the painted beams/joists as they look to be straight and relatively free of rot. I'm looking for advice on the best method to resaw them into usable structural or dressed timber. I have a 10" 1500w Makita contractor saw with a poo poo fence; a triton 2000 workbench with a pretty solid fence setup fitted with a 9 1/4 inch Makita saw which I have both 24t rippingand 60t finishing blades for; an 8 1/4" corded saw with a ripping blade; two DeWalt cordless 6 1/4 inch circular saws that I believe would probably catch fire trying to saw this stuff, and a cheap (read: home depot grade) bandsaw that my sister bought before realising that it's too drat hot in her shed for 8-9 months of the yearto use.

I'm mostly accustomed to working with sheet stock like MDF and melamine, ply or soft pine, so what's the go here? Should I rip it on both sides with the table saw and then clean it up with a finishing blade, or just take my time and feed it to the cheap bandsaw?

I

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Shelvocke posted:

I made a garden bench for my parents for Christmas, and they liked it so much they put it in their bedroom -

A few people have expressed interest in buying them, and I've been furloughed so I decided why not.

Anyone have experience with (green) oak? It's a very simple but meaty hand chiseled mortise/tenon with glue, should I put dowels in to hold it over the years, or should the size of the joint be sufficient?

If you make the seat out of green wood and the legs out of kiln dried wood, the seat will shrink on the tenons and won't ever come out.

Drawboring the tenons is def an option if you are working with green/green or dry/dry wood. Thats a long way to drive a drawbore peg tho. If drawboring was my goal I'd probably split the tenon in two so I could drive a pin from each side, but only half the distance.

That said, with tenons this big, compared to the likely forces on a bench like this, as long as their are well fitted and you use an appropriate glue, you're probably going to be fine.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Don Dongington posted:

Okay so I've been lurking this thread for a while but have recently decided to dedicate basically all of my spare time to woodwork so hi.

I just found someone one suburb over getting rid of some old structural hardwood for free, for firewood. I messaged her and said "hey some of that looks too good to burn if you can hold it till tomorrow night can I grab it and make things with it" which she seems happy with.

It's Jarrah, which is a native Australian species prolific in Western Australia and is essentially the go to for hard wood here. It has a Janka rating of 1910 which is slightly harder than purpleheart, although less than some of our other hardwood species such as spotted gum or Karri, or something freakish like Ipe or red mahogany. It's a good looking wood though, termites hate it, and my house is basically made out of it, with some bricks thrown in for good measure. It tends to smoke when you drill holes in it and it will make underpowered power tools cry for the sweet release of death.

I'm most interested in the painted beams/joists as they look to be straight and relatively free of rot. I'm looking for advice on the best method to resaw them into usable structural or dressed timber. I have a 10" 1500w Makita contractor saw with a poo poo fence; a triton 2000 workbench with a pretty solid fence setup fitted with a 9 1/4 inch Makita saw which I have both 24t rippingand 60t finishing blades for; an 8 1/4" corded saw with a ripping blade; two DeWalt cordless 6 1/4 inch circular saws that I believe would probably catch fire trying to saw this stuff, and a cheap (read: home depot grade) bandsaw that my sister bought before realising that it's too drat hot in her shed for 8-9 months of the yearto use.

I'm mostly accustomed to working with sheet stock like MDF and melamine, ply or soft pine, so what's the go here? Should I rip it on both sides with the table saw and then clean it up with a finishing blade, or just take my time and feed it to the cheap bandsaw?

I

Solid find!
What's your goal? If you just want to get it sized, what're you trying to make?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Thanks, I think I'll look at drawboring from now on. The oak is 200mm wide so i undoubtedly have a fight on my hands.

For treatment, I used Osmo one coat to protect from UV, but it doesn't penetrate particularly well (presumably because the wood is still quite damp. I'll debate using it next time, even if it does give the wood a nice caramel finish.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Never seen a planer used this way but if it works it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOX7aY87QA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to ride it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Solid find!
What's your goal? If you just want to get it sized, what're you trying to make?

My fiancee has asked me to build an arbor for our upcoming wedding. I was going to make it out of pine 2x4s (some ripped down to 1x4), but that's one thing I could do with this, and then maybe tear it down after and reuse the timber.

if there's enough material, or I could supplement it with more, a work bench would be great - but it's a really hard wood to work so it would take time. Otherwise simple furniture projects like the two small benches above, a new coffee table top, an extra railing for the stairs in my sunken lounge.

I forgot to mention I also have a power planer or two. Not much in the way of hand tools at this stage. Most of my power tools were hand me downs or marketplace scores, but they're relatively good quality. I've been focused on reorganising my shop this month using ideas stolen from youtubers, such as french cleat walls and these funky drill hangers

It's nice to get things out of drawers and tool boxes and into spaces that make sense for workflow.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'll abstain from answering because my dumbass answer is always "MAKE SOMETHING FOR THE SHOP" and I end up making gently caress-all else.

Well, this is wild.

Anyone interested at aggressively getting into wood carving?

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/d/newaygo-flexcut-carving-tools/7247812461.html

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 13, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any tips for doing my final protective clear coat on my shelf? Right now I intend to use laquer, but I'd love input on things like thinning it, how many coats to plan, and the need for sanding.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CommonShore posted:

Any tips for doing my final protective clear coat on my shelf? Right now I intend to use laquer, but I'd love input on things like thinning it, how many coats to plan, and the need for sanding.

I've never used it, but this video popped up for me yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESSU7EmT-cE

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8jp3tweJes

This one as well. Simple too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

Are you set up to spray with a spray gun? If yes (and don’t spray in an enclosed space) then lacquer is great. If you aren’t set up to spray, shellac has most of the benefits of lacquer but is much easier to pad or brush on at the cost of a little bit of durability.

Otherwise, danish oil or BLO. Polyurethane or other varnish is okay too but not my favorite thing to deal with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are you set up to spray with a spray gun? If yes (and don’t spray in an enclosed space) then lacquer is great. If you aren’t set up to spray, shellac has most of the benefits of lacquer but is much easier to pad or brush on at the cost of a little bit of durability.

Otherwise, danish oil or BLO. Polyurethane or other varnish is okay too but not my favorite thing to deal with.

Can BLO be the top coat for something like a shelf? Will that seal it and harden it enough?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

Can BLO be the top coat for something like a shelf? Will that seal it and harden it enough?
It won’t really seal or harden anything, but yes, it’s a perfectly decent finish for a shelf. Let it cure well (a week or more?) and wax it before you put books on it so they don’t stick.

I wish I could point to a perfect YouTube University for finishing but I haven’t found a good general one and honestly it’s a broad and complex enough subject that it won’t fit in a 20 minute YouTube. If you want to understand wood finishes, get Bob Flexner’s book ‘Understanding wood finishing’. It’s not long, it’s not difficult, and it has all the answers when I can’t remember them. It’s the best $20 anyone can spend to improve the quality of their woodworking imo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It won’t really seal or harden anything, but yes, it’s a perfectly decent finish for a shelf. Let it cure well (a week or more?) and wax it before you put books on it so they don’t stick.

I wish I could point to a perfect YouTube University for finishing but I haven’t found a good general one and honestly it’s a broad and complex enough subject that it won’t fit in a 20 minute YouTube. If you want to understand wood finishes, get Bob Flexner’s book ‘Understanding wood finishing’. It’s not long, it’s not difficult, and it has all the answers when I can’t remember them. It’s the best $20 anyone can spend to improve the quality of their woodworking imo.

Well I'll just do that then, given what I'm seeing elsewhere in the thread.

e. both of the linked videos were very useful and good. Thank you.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 13, 2021

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Well poo poo, I guess I'm building a workbench then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Well poo poo, I guess I'm building a workbench then.

ohhh nice look at how thicc those scraps are

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
If you're going to make an pretty and dainty arbor, this isn't the wood for you.

If you're going to make a fuckoff hefty workbench, :getin:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I picked up a standing desk frame.

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/desk-frames/jarvis-frame-only.html

Got a pile of cherry that's been drying in a barn for 40 years that I'm going to make the top with.

Top will be something like 27"x48" ~3/4" thick

Think I'll need do to anything besides glue them up in a big panel and finish it? Never glued up something quite that big.

I don't have a biscuit joiner, I could pocket-hole them to help with alignment.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Gounads posted:

I picked up a standing desk frame.

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/desk-frames/jarvis-frame-only.html

Got a pile of cherry that's been drying in a barn for 40 years that I'm going to make the top with.

Top will be something like 27"x48" ~3/4" thick

Think I'll need do to anything besides glue them up in a big panel and finish it? Never glued up something quite that big.

I don't have a biscuit joiner, I could pocket-hole them to help with alignment.

Pocket holes might work but if the point is alignment, how do you expect that to go? Genuinely curious.

I'm presuming you:

Set out the clamps. Set out the glue. Then?

Do you pre-drill the holes and hope they're all aligned?

Maybe some simple doweling would be better. This could all be a vocabulary misunderstanding as well.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It's pretty easy to apply glue and align just 2 boards and screw 'em together. Then do another one. Then clamp the 3 together. Screws keep 'em from sliding while you clamp the larger group. Biscuits would be better.

I could try dowels, you just reminded me I have one of those cheap dowel jigs that I never use.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If your boards are all flat, square, and the same thickness, pocket holes will help keep them aligned thickness-wise during glue-up, but you'll still need to keep them aligned length-wise when you're driving the screws. Definitely doable, and you can always make everything slightly longer and square off the ends after glue-up. Dowels (assuming you mark and drill your holes accurately) will do a better job of keeping the boards aligned in both directions.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pocket screws always seem to pull things OUT of alignment for me, so I wouldn’t recommend them. Dowels are better, biscuits are best. You can also break it down into several different glue ups and just use cauls across the joint. If it’s a tight joint, you can usually move things around with a rubber mallet when the bar clamps are about 3/4 of the way tight to do it by feel.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pocket screws always seem to pull things OUT of alignment for me, so I wouldn’t recommend them. Dowels are better, biscuits are best. You can also break it down into several different glue ups and just use cauls across the joint. If it’s a tight joint, you can usually move things around with a rubber mallet when the bar clamps are about 3/4 of the way tight to do it by feel.

I have found clamping before drilling and screwing pocket holes keep things from shifting. Then again I don't like using pocket holes for glue ups and only use them for cabinets like they are intended.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

more falafel please posted:

If your boards are all flat, square, and the same thickness, pocket holes will help keep them aligned thickness-wise during glue-up, but you'll still need to keep them aligned length-wise when you're driving the screws. Definitely doable, and you can always make everything slightly longer and square off the ends after glue-up. Dowels (assuming you mark and drill your holes accurately) will do a better job of keeping the boards aligned in both directions.

This is a more eloquent way of saying what I was trying to say. Additionally:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I did a dozen cedar benches and used a combination of pocket screws and dowels that solved my pulling issue. Otherwise yes, totally, regardless how much clamping force I use that pocket screw seems to tweak it just enough to piss me off.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I may be missing something, but why would you pocket screw a slab glue-up anyway? Clamp it together, caul it, then just screw if you want to pull it tighter. I don't understand why it would be a pocket screw.

(Or use dowls/biscuits if you're one-o-them fancy types.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My standing desk is three cherry boards glued edge-to-edge. I didn't use any screws, dowels, or biscuits, just some cauls to keep things flat while the glue dried, and then hand-planed any irregularities. You really want those cauls -- otherwise the clamps can pull the boards into a bit of a V shape. Dowels/biscuits can only do so much to prevent that, because they don't have leverage.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was lazy and just bought a counter top to go with the legs.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'll abstain from answering because my dumbass answer is always "MAKE SOMETHING FOR THE SHOP" and I end up making gently caress-all else.

Well, this is wild.

Anyone interested at aggressively getting into wood carving?

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/d/newaygo-flexcut-carving-tools/7247812461.html

Good luck selling those without splitting them up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mds2 posted:

Good luck selling those without splitting them up.

Yeah drives me bonkers when people do that. Some guy had this big heap of loving bullshit old wrenches and garbage with one router plane and one nice marking gauge in it. He refused to even entertain the idea of splitting them up, even though I would have paid 20% of his total asking price just for those two items out of a lot of like 40 tools. His listing is still up like three months later.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My standing desk is three cherry boards glued edge-to-edge. I didn't use any screws, dowels, or biscuits, just some cauls to keep things flat while the glue dried, and then hand-planed any irregularities. You really want those cauls -- otherwise the clamps can pull the boards into a bit of a V shape. Dowels/biscuits can only do so much to prevent that, because they don't have leverage.

You alternate over,under,over,under with your clamps to alleviate that.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

After being properly chided for owning no nonpowered saws I went down the Paul sellers YouTube hole and the Chris schwarz book hole and now I have a low angle jack plane and some Japanese saws. The saws seem great but I'm having trouble with the plane. I suspect that part of the problem is my wood. I'm loving around on some Douglas fir that I have and I'm getting absolutely incredible tear out. I've sharpened the blade and done some fiddling about with adjustments but have been unable to get reliably good shavings without occasionally ripping out a huge chunk of wood. It's a little bit knotty and the grain is pretty loose but I figured it being relatively soft would give me a lot of leeway? What am I doing wrong?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bloody posted:

After being properly chided for owning no nonpowered saws I went down the Paul sellers YouTube hole and the Chris schwarz book hole and now I have a low angle jack plane and some Japanese saws. The saws seem great but I'm having trouble with the plane. I suspect that part of the problem is my wood. I'm loving around on some Douglas fir that I have and I'm getting absolutely incredible tear out. I've sharpened the blade and done some fiddling about with adjustments but have been unable to get reliably good shavings without occasionally ripping out a huge chunk of wood. It's a little bit knotty and the grain is pretty loose but I figured it being relatively soft would give me a lot of leeway? What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried switching planing directions. So planning with the grain instead of against it?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been planing doug fir all week for my new work bench and its awful. I get a good shaving if: I'm going along the grain in the wood's preferred direction (like Falco is getting at), I'm not running over knots, and I haven't dulled the blade way down by slamming it into too many knots recently. Even then I get random tearout in places. The knots also get cut less each pass, so they inevitably end up as high spots. I resorted to periodically switching to a block plane and shaving down just the knots.

Definitely try it on decent hardwood before you get too dispirited. Even a less knotty piece of pine or something will be less frustrating.

Doublecheck your technique of course, and it sounds like you know the go to resources already.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah I found a less knotty piece and I'm getting consistently good results now with a super tight mouth and shallow cut. Can't go too hog wild though or it'll just tear to ribbons. My shed is now littered with shavings though so I'm calling it a win and moving on to doing real stuff. I've now got stock half prepped for a wooden try square, which has been a good experience of learning just how tricky it is to cut anything square by hand. Definitely going to be making the interior 90 out of factory edges, my goodness

also red oak sawdust smells... weird

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Walnut has been my favorite smell since I started working in a shop. Kind of a nutty, roasty smell, but kinda musty? Hard to describe. It reminds me of an old brewpub I used to go to. Not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Walnut has been my favorite smell since I started working in a shop. Kind of a nutty, roasty smell, but kinda musty? Hard to describe. It reminds me of an old brewpub I used to go to. Not sure why.

Good news, out of all of the north american domestic hardwoods, Walnut will gently caress you up the most.