Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's barely UKpol but it's funny to see Hadley Freeman get bodied on Twitter for this bollocks:

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1348897002885668870

e: No, I've decided this is a good snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's a meritocracy you see

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't that genuine "cancel culture"?

No that only happens to Jeremy Clarkson dads

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I happened to watch the first episode of sex and the city yesterday. Its all on HBOs website to stream for free but Sopranos isn't which is irritating because I've always wanted to watch it and just never have

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I happened to watch the first episode of sex and the city yesterday. Its all on HBOs website to stream for free but Sopranos isn't which is irritating because I've always wanted to watch it and just never have

Do whatever you have to to watch it. You owe it to yourself.

My partner has Sex and the City on in the background all the time (in the same way I have Taskmaster on) so I've probably seen most of the episodes out of order. Seems like a good enough time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought the big problem with SATC was that it was never explained how they had the money to have the lifestyles that they have, whereas The Sopranos doesn't really suffer from that one.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Apropos of nothing I just remembered that it's the launch event for Party Plane Jones Corbyn's Project for Peace & Justice this Sunday afternoon, so if anyone else registered & completely forgot here's your reminder

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

stev posted:

Do whatever you have to to watch it. You owe it to yourself.

My partner has Sex and the City on in the background all the time (in the same way I have Taskmaster on) so I've probably seen most of the episodes out of order. Seems like a good enough time.

Its fine, its largely nostalgia for me.

Sopranos just skipped me by, too young to care when it first came out and its never on any uk streaming service!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the big problem with SATC was that it was never explained how they had the money to have the lifestyles that they have, whereas The Sopranos doesn't really suffer from that one.

The ginger one is a lawyer and one of them is an art dealer though

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its fine, its largely nostalgia for me.

Sopranos just skipped me by, too young to care when it first came out and its never on any uk streaming service!

Sky is probably going to have a stranglehold on HBO stuff for the foreseeable future so if you don't have that your best bet is a Now TV trial.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Weird that Keir is wearing a small latex mask of his face over his own face.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmm i can use my mum's sky go, usually just for the football but ill see if Sopranos is on there

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

do torrents not exist anymore?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While you can eat crack and sex workers you probably shouldn't, and you almost certainly can't for £30.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It would probably be something that would be a compleye ballache to argue - I have the Star Wars DVDs that were released a few years ago, where one disc is the retweaked special edition downmixed from the blurays, and the second disc is the laserdisc version they grudgingly released for one xmas and then refused to ever do again.

If I was on a new-for-old policy I can imagine some hideous emails going back and forth explaining why £10 for a new Star Wars single disc edition from Tesco is not going to be adequate compensation. Same for the Japanese imports of some early Manics albums that have interviews with the band, including Richey.

Hang on, I am on a new-for-old policy. poo poo.

This would probably be the sort of situation where you could argue that there is no "new" equivalent, most of those policies do have a clause which states they'll default back to the value of the object if no new item of equivalent specification is available on the retail market! Mostly for their protection when something is no longer in production and replacing it would be a custom job, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for a DVD, if you could show that your particular copy was worth more. Pictures would be useful, might seem a bit para but if you want to make sure any future claim is accepted having pictures of all your poo poo is really powerful.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jel Shaker posted:

We're still on the tail-end of people having decided that it's slightly more convenient than pirating to watch stuff on a TV via whatever-app, but not having noticed yet that there's a free app to stream all your :filez: straight from your PC

(I used to use a Chromecast but Plex is miles easier, in case anyone isn't aware)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

the sopranos live in new jersey

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In situations like that you're probably better off telling the insurer upfront that it has a particular value/rarity so they can tell you what their policy is on it (they probably won't give you extra because that particular edition of Star Wars is out of print).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The ginger one is a lawyer and one of them is an art dealer though
The main character is a newspaper op-ed columnist and occasional writer though, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the heights they can fall upwards to.

Also one of them had a rent controlled apartment I think, which is nice if you can get it.

OwlFancier posted:

While you can eat crack and sex workers you probably shouldn't, and you almost certainly can't for £30.
Unless you have rheumatoid arthritis and manage to get a place on an Esterene trial, but those are rarer than rent controlled apartments in NYC.

e:

Jose posted:

the sopranos live in new jersey
Yeah, but there's no secret made of how they got where they were in life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sopranos is a show about food anyway

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

the sopranos is a show about food anyway

gabagool

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
S&TC started out pretty cool and then turned into "4 impossibly rich monsters whine about their non-problems" before launching into absolute insanity with the movies, one of which was so insanely bad, classist and racist that it made Mark Kermode break down and sing the Internationale at a perplexed Simon Mayo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

never mind the sopranos ending my main question about the show was what vinegar peppers are and where can i get a sandwich with them

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can definitely eat sex workers, but they'll charge much more than £30.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Borrovan posted:

Apropos of nothing I just remembered that it's the launch event for Party Plane Jones Corbyn's Project for Peace & Justice this Sunday afternoon, so if anyone else registered & completely forgot here's your reminder

how many new members do you think are mi5?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Blueshirt posted:

S&TC started out pretty cool and then turned into "4 impossibly rich monsters whine about their non-problems" before launching into absolute insanity with the movies, one of which was so insanely bad, classist and racist that it made Mark Kermode break down and sing the Internationale at a perplexed Simon Mayo.
Good news! They're bringing it back!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55616551

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

never mind the sopranos ending my main question about the show was what vinegar peppers are and where can i get a sandwich with them

theres a shwarma place i used to go to in the before times and they had these brined pickled long peppers that were so good i went up and asked the guy what they were, he went into the back, came back and said "the tub says greek peppers" and then they never served them again

i've been unsuccessfully trying to find or recreate them ever since

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Someone in one of the past couple of threads posted a very elaborate way of making pickled onions with many spices and I think it may have been WhatEvil because not being able to get Sarson's pickling vinegar in Canada was mentioned, but it's that but with bell peppers.

And nowhere, because everywhere's shut.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Blueshirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc&ab_channel=kermodeandmayo

This was it.

Well now. Beaten.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jose posted:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Green-Pe...z-mkt-fox-uk-21

Not cheap, mind.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RE: Sopranos talk, I always enjoyed this skit about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

stev posted:

Sky is probably going to have a stranglehold on HBO stuff for the foreseeable future so if you don't have that your best bet is a Now TV trial.
Unfortunately the cost of NowTV is creeping up. You used to be able to buy gift cards that worked out cheaper than directly paying but they've stopped those. They also used to always give really cheap deals if you went to cancel, but I gather they're not so generous now. I suspect NowTV is getting too popular and affecting Sky.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Unfortunately the cost of NowTV is creeping up. You used to be able to buy gift cards that worked out cheaper than directly paying but they've stopped those. They also used to always give really cheap deals if you went to cancel, but I gather they're not so generous now. I suspect NowTV is getting too popular and affecting Sky.

I remember you could get a free month of Now TV with a Kit-Kat. Then Supermacs were giving away free months of the Now TV movies with their meal deals.

Around September Ibought a six month subscription to the Entertainment and Movies pack for €7.50 a month.

The other option was keep an eye out for the Now TV sticks. They include a 2 month subscription, and I got ones as Christmas presents for my In Laws for €20.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I can't tell if it's gaining traction because people care about poor kids or if nobody gives a gently caress about the kids they just don't like to see their taxes spent so nakedly poorly.

it's probably because unlike the other grifts this one is easily visible on youtwitface.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

Yeah, but as the last time I used a public tracker I got an email from Disney I tend to avoid them, and i dunno any private trackers that deal in movies or telly.

It was always a convenience thing. Is torrenting more convenient than the alternative legal method of watching something? In the case of The Sopranos clearly not as I ended up buying it all on DVD ages ago.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/gathara/status/1348844721372868609?s=20

Great follow - writes about UK & US affairs the way the West writes about other countries.

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
I've been advised to post something so I can join the UKMT discord chat. Here is my post. I've been a lurker since 2009.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but as the last time I used a public tracker I got an email from Disney I tend to avoid them, and i dunno any private trackers that deal in movies or telly.

It was always a convenience thing. Is torrenting more convenient than the alternative legal method of watching something? In the case of The Sopranos clearly not as I ended up buying it all on DVD ages ago.

In general many people my have moved away from torrents. Students who talk about it mainly use streaming websites. With the right setup, Plex and the backend of Radarr/Sonarr/Lidarr can get you an amazing option. As can just access to the Plex server of someone who hoards Plex.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

vinegar peppers are something different apparently. love pepperoncini's though and wish they were as widely available here as in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That was Kermodes finest hour, lol when he starts singing the Internationale