Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MadJackal posted:

The Pope’s Gun sounds like a fuckin’ sick legendary drop.

Illuminates user when equipped
Sets Heathen enemies on fire
10% chance to deal +500% Holy Damage
Gun smoke turns from black to white when last round in the magazine is fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
dawnbreaker except it’s a gun

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1348995991496699905

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How old is the pope's doctor? Why would anyone expect he would die by default and it requires some sort of special explanation about secret rich people drugs? Most people do not die of covid. Even if you are 100+ the most likely outcome is survival. It's a bad disease across populations but no one specific guy is specifically that likely to die.

If it makes you feel better, the mutations cropping up are going to make the rich people's drugs useless first.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

welp theres another one

https://twitter.com/RepJayapal/status/1348871117407203328

COMPLETELY SURPRISING

i guess this will be an interesting test, to see how many got it there. congress only had their first dose, right? and that's 2 now that got pozzed but maybe not the others

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

i guess this will be an interesting test, to see how many got it there. congress only had their first dose, right? and that's 2 now that got pozzed but maybe not the others

The vaccine isn't sterilizing, so you can still get COVID and test positive, but not have any symptoms

If congress members start falling ill/need hospitalization, then that's a neat proof of concept that a single dose of Pfizer isn't enough to prevent illness

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Have there been any discussions about whether the monoclonal antibody therapies will be effective with these new strains?

Particularly the Japan-Brazil one; it seems like that's the main safeguard that's available to the rich that the poor won't have access to.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Half dose is still like 70%+ effective at preventing the rona. If they dont develop symptoms I'd say its a big success.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1348870843368153091?s=19

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This mrna stuff is really cool, it really is just like casting a new key for a specific lock out of a protein. I imagine this is going to have a lot of applications targeting all sorts of diseases in the next few years right?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pryor on Fire posted:

This mrna stuff is really cool, it really is just like casting a new key for a specific lock out of a protein. I imagine this is going to have a lot of applications targeting all sorts of diseases in the next few years right?

yeah. cancer treatment in particular will benefit from mRNA vaccines since it'll let clinicians target very specific proteins that some cancer cells have on their surface. it's not a cure all and cancer cells are tricky, but it will save a lot of lives.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dreamspace2/status/1348867448418820098?s=21

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's the main reason why they decided to go all-in on mRNA vaccines for covid. It will push the technology into mainstream use.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Nothus posted:

Yes, it's your immune system doing it's thing.

I wouldn't worry about your turmeric supplement. It may be slightly anti-inflammatory when you're on it, but it's not like it makes you immunocompromised. It's a good idea to stay off of it until the side-effects from the vaccine subside.

Thanks - I appreciate the genuine response. I'm just going to stop it all together. Although maybe I'll pick it up again down the road as I run nearly every day and my knees were both uncharacteristically sore yesterday evening lol

Is the bolded advice intended to maximize the immune response? I got the shot Friday morning and took the supplement for the final time on Sunday.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah. cancer treatment in particular will benefit from mRNA vaccines since it'll let clinicians target very specific proteins that some cancer cells have on their surface. it's not a cure all and cancer cells are tricky, but it will save a lot of lives.

and this is the "killer application" that both Moderna and Pfizer are gunning for. in a lot of ways the Covid vaccine is just PR for mRNA technology and they likely aren't making bank off of it. the end goal is for them to get a cancer biopsy, run it through a proprietary program to analyze it for unique markers which could be immune targets, and print up a new custom "vaccine" for that person which they will then charge $500k for.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Gio posted:

i just got pozzed with bill gates pfizer microchip. county health department said they were only doing frontline workers, i took a gamble and assumed they wouldnt turn me down.

wow, you know, maybe epstein did kill himself...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nothus posted:

That's the main reason why they decided to go all-in on mRNA vaccines for covid. It will push the technology into mainstream use.

It's way more like all the first vaccines are mRNA because once you have the platform set up changing out the specific RNA is like an hour or two of design a new one. If a new virus appeared you could probably make a "you shouldn't take this but eh, it's probably right" mRNA vaccine in the same day once you have the general process.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

chairface posted:

9 out of 10. Galveston Hurricane is now the only single day/cause mass casualty event that's not "a day in the last month"

fwiw these lists comparing covid deaths to battles and hurricanes are bullshit because they don't include things like the spanish flu, which definitely killed far more people in a single day than covid has (so far)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:shrug:

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Half dose is still like 70%+ effective at preventing the rona. If they dont develop symptoms I'd say its a big success.

for Pfizer it's 54%. :X

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Fireside Nut posted:

Thanks - I appreciate the genuine response. I'm just going to stop it all together. Although maybe I'll pick it up again down the road as I run nearly every day and my knees were both uncharacteristically sore yesterday evening lol

Is the bolded advice intended to maximize the immune response? I got the shot Friday morning and took the supplement for the final time on Sunday.

Yes, it's erring on the side of caution. I don't know how anti-inflammatory turmeric supplements really are or if they can actually affect an on-going immune response, but it seems like common sense to back off of them if you're trying to encourage an immune response.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

and this is the "killer application" that both Moderna and Pfizer are gunning for. in a lot of ways the Covid vaccine is just PR for mRNA technology and they likely aren't making bank off of it. the end goal is for them to get a cancer biopsy, run it through a proprietary program to analyze it for unique markers which could be immune targets, and print up a new custom "vaccine" for that person which they will then charge $500k for.

regular patients can't pay that kind of money. it would be better for them to develop vaccine production systems small enough to fit in a single room or two and then charge a hospital or other entity a subscription or licensing fee or something, imo. if they model it after radioisotope production they'd actually be able to make stupid amounts of money without haggling much with insurers.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

regular patients can't pay that kind of money. it would be better for them to develop vaccine production systems small enough to fit in a single room or two and then charge a hospital or other entity a subscription or licensing fee or something, imo. if they model it after radioisotope production they'd actually be able to make stupid amounts of money without haggling much with insurers.

DRMA

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Fireside Nut posted:

can soreness in the arm be indicative of an immune reaction or is that more likely due tot he trauma of the injection itself?

I really am worried I hosed up my shot by taking that Turmeric supplement everyday. I stopped it yesterday so I’ll hopefully have a good response from the second shot

Carl Zimmer did a nice infographic on the NYT. Here is the relevant image. They left out the part (to not scare people) that the immune system recognizes the muscle cell as foreign and destroys it. That's what the soreness is from: the immune system cleaning up and recognizing antigens from the lysed muscle cells.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/moderna-covid-19-vaccine.html

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

brugroffil posted:

Don't trials usually take longer to determine both safety and efficacy because they're much smaller and there isn't an insanely infectious uncontrolled virus raging through most of the world? We know that Pfizer and Moderna reached their endpoints more quickly than originally anticipated because infections were spiking in October.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/other/ema-considerations-covid-19-vaccine-approval_en.pdf posted:

Post-approval follow-up for safety and efficacy
Whenever feasible, the EMA has recommended that clinical trial participants should be followed for safety and efficacy within their randomised groups for at least one year after completing vaccination. This is recommended even if a conditional approval based on a convincing interim analysis of efficacy has occurred before all study participants have reached one year. These longer-term data are important to document any late adverse reactions and to assess whether there is waning of protection against SARS-Cov-2 disease over time.
You can shorten efficacy tests, but by definition you can't test for late adverse reactions. That isn't to say the vaccines - on the whole - are unsafe and this isn't an anti-vaccine post, but asking questions about safety - particularly in months past - isn't unreasonable either considering how the pandemic is being handled. While we expect most adverse effects to happen within 4-6 weeks, the use of a novel technology on such a large percentage of people does also change the stakes.

However as things stand the choices are getting the vaccine or getting COVID. So everybody (that can) should get the vaccine.

brugroffil posted:

Are that public health/virologist/vaccinologist or other relevant experts expressing concerns over the safety of these vaccines?
Not a lot of people in this thread are either anymore. Relative to getting COVID it is certainly the safer option.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

Illuminates user when equipped
Sets Heathen enemies on fire
10% chance to deal +500% Holy Damage
Gun smoke turns from black to white when last round in the magazine is fired

Buriza Do Canon Law

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man, listening to a vaccine oversight committee in NYC and we are all so hosed. they open by saying our target is to utilize 1,000,000 doses by the end of the month, while also touting how exciting it is that theyre going to open 2 more 24 hour sites by the 17th which will add 4,000 new vaccination slots per week! to date theyve given out ~215k doses, 100k of which have happened since January 1st.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also when asked why the health&hospital system built 3 entirely new patient portals, all of which require redundant info when h&h already built out a systemwide patient portal over the past few years that already has all the same info (which you needed to provide to get covid tested, so it already has all the info ready to go!), their answer is basically "dunno". lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
OWS’s goal was 20 million vaccinations by the end of 2020. we didn’t even hit 5 million.

consequently I take all of these goals they make and cut them down by 75% because it’s probably more in the realm of reality.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

what vaccine are you talking about? Pfizer didn't do a secondary end point 1 dose study, and moderna's secondary end point one dose study had little data (only 46 cases out of 1100 people) giving a .95 confidence interval of 52% - 94%. Both vaccine companies and the FDA have refuted the safety and efficacy of recommending skipping, or delaying the second dose.

If you don't believe me just ask bowser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPAQA_P_RQY

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Given their recent track record, at this point I'm assuming my local public health authorities will gently caress things up so badly I won't get a covid vaccine until 2022, but it's nice that all the rich people will have custom tailored cancer vaccines and whatnot before Easter.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I think it's a moral imperative to get the vaccine ASAP by whatever means necessary

Imagine vaccine distribution during a Civil War where the opposing side hates science - we're possibly a week away from that

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Nothus posted:

Yes, it's erring on the side of caution. I don't know how anti-inflammatory turmeric supplements really are or if they can actually affect an on-going immune response, but it seems like common sense to back off of them if you're trying to encourage an immune response.

Awesome - thanks again

Rauros posted:

Carl Zimmer did a nice infographic on the NYT. Here is the relevant image. They left out the part (to not scare people) that the immune system recognizes the muscle cell as foreign and destroys it. That's what the soreness is from: the immune system cleaning up and recognizing antigens from the lysed muscle cells.

that's pretty rad. thank you. my arm was sore enough it woke me up once or twice the first night and was sore for a few days after. good stuff

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol awaiting some headline along the lines of "Disney+ subscribers can skip the line!"

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

hahaha oh gently caress. i have no confidence this will work:

Trump administration reverses stance, will no longer hold back second shots of coronavirus vaccine

The expectation is that people will still get their second doses as planned. The concerns about possible hiccups in manufacturing have been allayed by the steady ramp-up so far, while the risks of delay have increased as the pandemic has claimed thousands of lives daily and as a new, more contagious variant of the virus first identified in Great Britain spreads through the United States.

:cripes:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Rauros posted:

nice this is exactly what I was wondering about

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tzen posted:

lol awaiting some headline along the lines of "Disney+ subscribers can skip the line!"

rich moms in new York paying disabled people to stand in line for them. it doesn't get them through any faster, it's just the only way they know how to do disney world anymore

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Fireside Nut posted:

hahaha oh gently caress. i have no confidence this will work:

Trump administration reverses stance, will no longer hold back second shots of coronavirus vaccine

The expectation is that people will still get their second doses as planned. The concerns about possible hiccups in manufacturing have been allayed by the steady ramp-up so far, while the risks of delay have increased as the pandemic has claimed thousands of lives daily and as a new, more contagious variant of the virus first identified in Great Britain spreads through the United States.

:cripes:

quote:

The Trump administration has been holding back roughly half the vaccines to ensure sufficient supply for people to get a required second shot. But in draft remarks prepared for a scheduled call Tuesday afternoon with governors and obtained by The Washington Post, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar disclosed the change in plans. The remarks were confirmed by a senior administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

:thunk:

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

my dad's probably gonna get the vaccine but my mom isn't old enough. Was the detail I read somewhere some time back that you're still a potential carrier of the disease if you're vaccinated still the case? they're not really going to be able to stay separated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

brugroffil posted:

Don't trials usually take longer to determine both safety and efficacy because they're much smaller and there isn't an insanely infectious uncontrolled virus raging through most of the world? We know that Pfizer and Moderna reached their endpoints more quickly than originally anticipated because infections were spiking in October.

Are that public health/virologist/vaccinologist or other relevant experts expressing concerns over the safety of these vaccines?

At the very least they are doing a lovely job of messaging on the vaccines given the high rate of medical professionals turning it down. I know I'm a broken record but everywhere even in this thread, people only seem capable of responding to the standard anti-vaxx arguments rather than the specific situation with this vaccine.