Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gort posted:

This doesn't seem to be embedding for me

Yeah, apparently it wasn't strictly a tweet. It was a news item saying Deutsche Bank aren't going to do business with Trump anymore (except he owes them $300 million)

I'm sure I've had 83 before but not in the last two iterations of this thread.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Is that a loving bank bag?

Amazing, considering the people its going to have gently caress all cash.

edit: Nah I'm not buying it, too insanely ridiculous to be real, clearly a psyop to discredit Jack Monroe.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 12, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The Question IRL posted:

The thing about the SaTC reboot is Samantha (British actor Kim Catrell) isn’t coming back for it.

From everything that’s been said about the back-scene shenanigans, it seems that it is largely because she and SJP hated each other, and all the cast sided with SJP over her. (Possibly because she was the outsider compared to the rest of the American cast.)

Or as one person put it “the only tolerable character will not be returning.”

Millennials already remade Sex and the City, took out the poo poo bits. It’s called the Bold Type. And nicked the better storylines. The actual SATC reboot will have to compete in ways the original never did.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

edit: Nah I'm not buying it, too insanely ridiculous to be real, clearly a psyop to discredit Jack Monroe.

Satire is so dead Azalia Banks is digging it up and cooking it.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Blueshirt posted:

S&TC started out pretty cool and then turned into "4 impossibly rich monsters whine about their non-problems" before launching into absolute insanity with the movies, one of which was so insanely bad, classist and racist that it made Mark Kermode break down and sing the Internationale at a perplexed Simon Mayo.

Yeah, this 10000%. It probably won't shock anyone here to know that Hadley Freeman is being wildly disengenuous and wilfully distorting everyone else's opinions in order to look like she has a point to make. It's the overwhelming critical opinion AFAICT that SATC became utterly poo poo and started existing in a weird and uninteresting navel gazing bubble of its own tropes, especially in the films, and that the second movie is just a badly put together film as well as being straight up racist and offensive. Arguing that it's largely (or based on her wording, entirely!) misogyny that is behind people comparing it unfavourably to the sopranos doesn't hold up at all.

Privileged rich people not noticing how offensive and detached from reality they are, unable to comprehend that they come across as awful to the rest of the world, and certain that their tedious, unlikely dramas and opinions are the most interesting and enthralling thing in the world, somehow resonates with newspaper opinion writer Hadley Freeman for reasons that escape me. '

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

kingturnip posted:

Keith Stamper

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

One of my friends describes SatC as "three prostitutes and their mum" and I haven't been able to take it seriously since.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I honestly was having trouble believing anybody would go to the trouble of spending time / money to chop up the veg but

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The giant tin of beans is wild, like how much loving beans would you have to eat? I like beans but I have never wanted to eat nearly a kilogram of them because the tin's that big. Is it beyond the government's ability to supply several normal tins?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

it beyond the government's ability to supply...

Fortunately i hear they know a guy

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The giant tin of beans is wild, like how much loving beans would you have to eat? I like beans but I have never wanted to eat nearly a kilogram of them because the tin's that big. Is it beyond the government's ability to supply several normal tins?

The government is full of people who think the Sun photo stories are accurate depictions of how most people live and therefore include the beans as a treat for the parent(s)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Most of the replies are spot on but there are so many "be grateful, you get what you given, you can technically survive on that, in my day we had half a cup of flour for lunch and were happy" types. :(

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was saying to my parents that a proper lockdown should include food deliveries by the state, but after this I think I'd rather take my chances with covid in the supermarket.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't believe they're handing out apples.

Don't they know the parents are only going to ferment them into cider and get drunk?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That's to kerp the parents occupied, heh heh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was saying to my parents that a proper lockdown should include food deliveries by the state, but after this I think I'd rather take my chances with covid in the supermarket.
A bit like private health and education, if the state had to deliver the same service to the middle classes as to the poorest it'd magically get better quality.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Starving a generation of kids in order to stunt the growth of any potential future star athletes is an entirely on brand solution to the "Rashford question".

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Just spent my rashfords on an asda bulk shop but the next set is going purely on olives and chorizo etc from waitrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can't believe they're handing out apples.

Don't they know the parents are only going to ferment them into cider and get drunk?

That and some fruit juice and sugar to make wine with, not drinking right now but I will make an exception

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Are the food parcels halal?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Much to my astonishment The Sopranos is on Sky box sets so looking forward to giving it a shot tonight

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Are the food parcels halal?

It may surprise you to learn that they are not, and many families who don't eat pork have been given pork (though according to the photos I've seen you'd be lucky to get any meat at all)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

many families who don't eat pork have been given pork
Disgusting antisemitism from Prime Minister Boremy Jorbyn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/HarrietHarman/status/1348741678711115777?s=19

Jesus Christ.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Part of the amazement I have with the shittiness of the packages is their lack of uniformity. Who is out there getting someone to manually slice a pepper and tossing a half into two boxes? Why the odd variety of fruit and veg? It's got all the vibes of a food bank meets a village fete packed lunch for lack of dignity and coherence and it's maddening that anyone who is supposed to be responsible for this and hopefully possessing some sort of shame thought it was okay to put out there.

Absolute bastards the lot of them.

Also the whole £30 price tag - £5 delivered perfectly demonstrates the dynamics of outsourcing. The whole point of any private company doing that is that they maximise the difference between what they get paid and the cost of what they deliver to the end user and whether it's as obvious as this or not, that's what's happening.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And all because maybe 10 people sold their vouchers for drugs or whatever. Millions shall be punished.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmbo at harman saying we should provide welfare for the hungry in any shape or form.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
she schook

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

i don't have the link but this is not the only photo of these i've seen that has used a coin bag as a food container. guess they're just using whatever's lying around

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And all because maybe 10 people sold their vouchers for drugs or whatever. Millions shall be punished.

Oh please. It doesn't matter if those people who sold their vouchers ever existed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember the food hygiene courses where they said "idk just use what's lying around, bank bag, newspaper, dog poo bag (remember to scrape out any dog poo)"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Angepain posted:

i don't have the link but this is not the only photo of these i've seen that has used a coin bag as a food container. guess they're just using whatever's lying around

I first learned about coin bags when I walked into Natwest and asked for "some of those paper tubes you put coins in" and they looked at me like I was strange.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Part of the amazement I have with the shittiness of the packages is their lack of uniformity.
This, and the sheer premeditated malice. If you’ve already decided to not give a proper amount of food it’d be much cheaper and easier to just give everyone a bag of rice and a tin of spaghetti hoops but going to the effort of chopping veg is a childlike level of following the rules to the bare minimum and then taunting “Can’t get mad!”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

I first learned about coin bags when I walked into Natwest and asked for "some of those paper tubes you put coins in" and they looked at me like I was strange.

I made some of those up when using coins was still a thing, they're so much more convenient than the bags.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

(remember to scrape out any dog poo)

this kind of luxury treatment for those seeking government handouts will only encourage dependency

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobstar posted:

Please don't post pictures of euros I find them extremely triggering

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

I remember the food hygiene courses where they said "idk just use what's lying around, bank bag, newspaper, dog poo bag (remember to scrape out any dog poo)"

Those could be food grade freezer bags. They certainly look the part.

Well some of them. Some are definitely coin bags. And food hygiene courses have some strong words to say about repackaging tinned goods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US uses those too I think, hence the phrase "a roll of quarters".

I suppose they are perhaps more necessary in countries which do not have a tradition of using the coinage as a system of weights? Though yes I also agree that they seem much more sensible because you don't have to count when filling them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 12, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Angepain posted:

I was suspicious of it because the actual cost of getting someone to manually open a tin of tuna and put it into coin bags must be wayyyy more than the wholesale value of the other half tin of catfood-grade tuna, but maybe it turns out that free markets aren't rational after all?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I very much doubt this ever actually happened. Surely you'd just eat the food and use your other money for drugs (which you were probably gonna do anyway, but now your family eats something)?

Either way, Citation loving Needed

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh please. It doesn't matter if those people who sold their vouchers ever existed.

I know! I'm not agreeing with it! Whether they did or whether they didn't, noone should be penalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Food safe bags are £1/200 when bought in bulk by the way.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know! I'm not agreeing with it! Whether they did or whether they didn't, noone should be penalized.

They're being penalized for being poor, not for some imaginary crime.

"The cruelty is the point" could be the perpetual thread title.