Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It also depends on the type of meeting - if it's just a few people from one team hashing out an idea then speak up and go for it. If someone's presenting a project plan and you think there might be a problem with it, bring it up with them at the end in private. Nobody wants to be called out in front of people, and even if you're right 90% of the time, there's still that 10% where you call someone out and then get to look like a dickhead by being wrong.

If something has got to the point where it's being presented then it's either right, or won't fall on you as an individual if it's wrong, so let it slide until you can debrief afterwards.

I apply this to support cases as well - I do as much as I possibly can to make sure I am right before raising any sort of complaint about a support team, because if you're wrong you look like a clown and if the vendor is small enough you'll get a reputation for being poo poo to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Microsoft, please. It's no longer funny.

quote:

Attack Simulator retirement

We are retiring Attack Simulator from https://protection.office.com on January 24, 2021. Moving forward we recommend using Attack Simulation Training located at https://security.microsoft.com.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every three months they spin the wheel and the team that it lands on have to rename one of their products and change the URL

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Microsoft Goat Simulator 365 Enterprise Edition 2021 [for Workgroups]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WTF even is a "workgroup" supposed to be? Is that some technical concept MS made up along with the product, or were teams in workplaces referred to as "workgroups" in the 80s?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It seemed to be some half-assed "domains but for Home users" back in the XP days, but in the same way that no other XP Home networking functionality worked as advertised ... I have no loving clue.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

It seemed to be some half-assed "domains but for Home users" back in the XP days, but in the same way that no other XP Home networking functionality worked as advertised ... I have no loving clue.

Yeah, they are for printer and file sharing on home networks, or on SOHO networks without a domain.

They are janky as gently caress, and didn't work a lot of the time, but easy to set up. They're still a thing on Win10.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was Microsoft's marketing term for a decentralised network way back in the 3.1 days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghostlight posted:

It was Microsoft's marketing term for a decentralised network way back in the 3.1 days.

So just something they made up, like how they stubbornly tried to call a website "a web" in FrontPage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

So just something they made up, like how they stubbornly tried to call a website "a web" in FrontPage.

I guess your home network if you're not using LDAP qualifies as a workgroup, since by default your PC is a member of WORKGROUP, and as long as you know the other PC's name and have the login info for a local account on the PC you should be able to access shared resources.

Early 90s networking was a hash of poo poo, thank god for the relative simplicity of TCP/IP.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 12, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, they are for printer and file sharing on home networks, or on SOHO networks without a domain.

They are janky as gently caress, and didn't work a lot of the time, but easy to set up. They're still a thing on Win10.
I mean... "didn't work" and "easy to set up" are kind of contradictory there. I suspect they've just ended up becoming the filler text for "this machine isn't joined to a domain" in Win7+ in practice, because of TCP/IP, as orange juche points out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean... "didn't work" and "easy to set up" are kind of contradictory there. I suspect they've just ended up becoming the filler text for "this machine isn't joined to a domain" in Win7+ in practice, because of TCP/IP, as orange juche points out.

Yeah I dove down the hole of "what was before LDAP and TCP/IP", and read about IPX and NetBIOS and X.500 and all this poo poo that was dead before I got into networking and I am glad it is dead.

My only interaction with token-ring networks was ripping them out and replacing them with CAT5, because I was in the Navy and that poo poo was somehow still in use where I was in TYOOL 2009.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 12, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Yeah I dove down the hole of "what was before LDAP and TCP/IP", and read about IPX and NetBIOS and X.500 and all this poo poo that was dead before I got into networking and I am glad it is dead.

My only interaction with token-ring networks was ripping them out and replacing them with CAT5, because I was in the Navy and that poo poo was somehow still in use where I was in TYOOL 2009.

Definitely hooked up some token-ring terminals around then. They were purchased off of eBay. AS/400 is a hell of a drug.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

orange juche posted:

If you ever messed around with ancient apple IIs in school they used a token protocol.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Definitely hooked up some token-ring terminals around then. They were purchased off of eBay. AS/400 is a hell of a drug.

I was shocked that mainframes were still a thing in 2017, but apparently they're harder to kill off than cockroaches, even though it's hard to find COBOL programmers nowadays.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

I was shocked that mainframes were still a thing in 2017, but apparently they're harder to kill off than cockroaches, even though it's hard to find COBOL programmers nowadays.

?

Mainframes are still a thing today.

Why would you think they weren't?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We ERP is basically an as/400 but whatever IBM calls it nowadays. We have a team of RPG programmers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

?

Mainframes are still a thing today.

Why would you think they weren't?

Oh I'm aware they are, I wasn't aware in 2017 that they still were a thing. Makes sense in retrospect, because they're huge but stupidly powerful and efficient compared to a rack of x86 servers if you need to run a shitload of batch jobs or whatever.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 12, 2021

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We have 16 systems sending data to customer 3270 mainframes and we get data from mainframes at big financial places you've certainly heard of. They ain't dyin'.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Back in like 1992 or so there was Windows 3.1 and then there was 3.11 Windows for Workgroups.

I believe it used the NetBEUI protocol to do file and printer sharing between machines.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Microsoft attempted to go away from workgroups for non-domain computers with homegroup(and failed miserably)

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Was it because he is on the VPN?

No, he wasn't on a WIFI and his roaming was switched off. But it's a company phone so that made it my problem according to him. I verified his data worked on his phone and told him I don't support home stuff.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

From consultancy experience: "I have some concerns about this but I would like to check the documentation to see if I can find confirmation or a workaround before we commit either way". Now you sound methodical and clever!

This is brilliant thank you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

We ERP is basically an as/400 but whatever IBM calls it nowadays. We have a team of RPG programmers.

iSeries is the new name.

They merged the hardware platform around Power5, I think, so both pSeries and iSeries became the standard after as/400 and rs6000.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We try to just call it ERP since when people hear AS/400 they think we're in the stone age.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I swear I have seen an AS/400 window at the customer service desk in Costco. That poo poo just works. It does require the user to be slightly more competent than a more typical office drone, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we use 5250 windows as our terminal sessions as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kurieg posted:

If you ever messed around with ancient apple IIs in school they used a token protocol.

Can confirm. Until Farallon came up with the PhoneNet AppleTalk adapters that used standard RJ11 telephone cable, the cable also didn't lock very securely in the adapters, which was fantastic for cabling that lived dangling under computers used by groups of kids who couldn't keep from kicking everything... One kid in the middle would knock all the computers past him off the network, and I'd have to drive to the school to fix it.

edit: pretty sure I still have some original AppleTalk and PhoneNet adapters in my stash of vintage Apple/Mac stuff. It did make for quick peer-to-peer networking. The fun part was expanding that AppleTalk network school-wide with a massive Farallon AppleTalk hub and a 110 punch-down block. Yes, I'm old, why do you ask?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 12, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Worth noting that win 3.11 did do workgroups over tcp/ip. It was just an auth scheme for shared network resources without a server.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I remember working in a remote village in rural Alaska and coming across what I had thought was old coax for cable TV only to discover it was actually 10base-T used with vampire taps. It was still in use until my trip up there...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be clear I wasn't asking about the technical definition of a workgroup, I was asking where they came up with the actual word

Like it exists nowhere else in the language to my knowledge

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Data Graham posted:

To be clear I wasn't asking about the technical definition of a workgroup, I was asking where they came up with the actual word

Like it exists nowhere else in the language to my knowledge

You should work in more terrible office jobs if you've never heard "workgroup" as a non-technical term.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

merriam-webster says the term has been in use since 1912

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, from an organizing perspective I see "working group" often. It's like an informal group to work on an issue, short of a committee. I could see the same use in the business world is larger orgs, but can't say I have. These days we just use words like "pods" or whatever fancy tech term people want to use.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I remember working in a remote village in rural Alaska and coming across what I had thought was old coax for cable TV only to discover it was actually 10base-T used with vampire taps. It was still in use until my trip up there...

Do you mean 10base2? Because 10baseT was twisted pairs and used RJ45 plugs to terminate the cable. 10base2 was coax and *usually* used BNC to terminate cables. They also used vampire taps to split the line off.

Source: wrangled a poo poo ton of 10base2 back in the mid-late 90s.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 12, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I read this as ‘vampire traps’ was wondering who was taking ‘30 days of night’ too seriously

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you mean 10base2? Because 10baseT was twisted pairs and used RJ45 plugs to terminate the cable. 10base2 was coax and *usually* used BNC to terminate cables. They also used vampire taps to split the line off.

Source: wrangled a poo poo ton of 10base2 back in the mid-late 90s.
Used BNC-based and six-pin XLR-based networking back in the day. :corsair:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have a sudden hankering for that story about the end of the world and the sysops being obsessed with uptime, anyone happen to have it?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Proteus Jones posted:

10Base5 used vampire taps on thick cable that roughly resembles TV cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

wolrah posted:

10Base5 used vampire taps on thick cable that roughly resembles TV cable.

Belden 9880. It kinda looks like RG-8/U but isn't the same. 10base2 used RG-58A/U. If I remember both want 50 ohms resistors on the end. With one being grounded.