Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

I absolutely worship mangoes, not only in byob, but also by consuming ridiculous amounts of it. Here the actual fruit is by far more expensive than its juice for obvious reasons, so I'm usually limited to drink instead of eat mango, but I can't say I wouldn't have downed a liter of pure mango juice in one go in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I read Infinite Jest and liked it in college, and one of my friends got me an Enfield Tennis Academy shirt that I was always too embarrassed to wear, mostly because I really liked tennis at that point in my life and didn't want to trivialize the sport of champions. I remember when he died I was working on the school newspaper and I got asked to write the obituary and I really felt like I didn't know enough about him to do a very good job.

As for the class I'm waiting to hear back from the undergraduate director on how wild I can get with it. The sample syllabi I got were both pretty conventional... you know, anchored in the American Renaissance and offering a token week apiece for ladies and black people. The ideas I was tossing around were:

-basically starting with abolitionist writing, and ending with prison abolitionist writing, and filling in the gaps to show the whole miserable sweep from the failure of Reconstruction to now.

-queer identity and the formation of desire from Bayard Taylor (a really interesting and understudied early 19th century author who wrote the country's first gay novel) to either Stonewall or New Narrative depending on how much I can get away with. I've been reading some really interesting stuff about gender identity in indigenous cultures that I could throw in and I know this field really well compared to some of the other ideas.

-"American Metaphysics from Mesmerism to the Mothman." Basically just teaching my dissertation: doing a whole messy trajectory of "new American religion" and it's unruly off-shoots, which can incorporate a whole lot of canon-adjacent stuff in the process.

-If I can really stretch the periodization limits I could also do a brief history of American Paranoia, which feels super relevant right now. Start with conspiracy theories about slave riots in the 18th century, maybe even captivity narratives and the ways they framed indigenous people as lurking threats, cover all sorts of 19th century anti-immigrant nonsense, and then rampage through the entire 20th century of conspiracy theories into right now.

Also yeah I try to make syllabi as lean on the usual white guys as possible, because I know that nobody needs my help to figure out who Wallace Stevens is, whereas knowing about Audre Lorde or Laura Riding or Nathaniel Mackey might do somebody a lot of good who might otherwise just never have gotten exposed to them.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Those are all incredibly fantastic ideas, How Wonderful!

BoldFrankensteinMir

How Wonderful! posted:

Also yeah I try to make syllabi as lean on the usual white guys as possible, because I know that nobody needs my help to figure out who Wallace Stevens is, whereas knowing about Audre Lorde or Laura Riding or Nathaniel Mackey might do somebody a lot of good who might otherwise just never have gotten exposed to them.

Good stuff, though I'd never heard of Stevens before now. But my understanding of American poetry kinda starts and ends with Robert Service, so...

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Glutes Are Great posted:

I absolutely worship mangoes, not only in byob, but also by consuming ridiculous amounts of it. Here the actual fruit is by far more expensive than its juice for obvious reasons, so I'm usually limited to drink instead of eat mango, but I can't say I wouldn't have downed a liter of pure mango juice in one go in the past.

Yeah, I can at least get huge liter TINS of mango juice here (Jumex brand! Mangoes from Mexico!!!!) at the Jay's international market, but the last time I did grocery pickup at the regular market they wanted $2.50 each for mangoes and avocados so what I'm saying is that I'm starving.

Manifisto

Glutes Are Great posted:

what is your frozen mango situation? I have never tried it but seems like it would be perfect for a lassi, if you like those (if you don't, I don't know what to tell you, your taste buds are broken)

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

I don't think I've ever seen frozen fruits being marketed here, is that a thing?? We have tons of frozen vegetables but fruits like mango? Woah

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Glutes Are Great posted:

I don't think I've ever seen frozen fruits being marketed here, is that a thing?? We have tons of frozen vegetables but fruits like mango? Woah

oh ya I usually get a big bag of frozen tropical fruits for making smoothies with

alnilam

frozen fruits are also a really good way to soothe a teething child :eng101:

ty manifisto

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

alnilam posted:

frozen fruits are also a really good way to soothe a teething child :eng101:

also a really good way to soothe me, a grown child

alnilam

also regarding the recent conversation about scifi authors, get this

Octavia :butts:ler

ty manifisto

cruft

How Wonderful! posted:

The ideas I was tossing around were:

I feel like you should absolutely teach your dissertation, unless you spent so long on it that you no longer find it interesting. The rest of the list seems, like, pretty much ideal to have in your pocket for when they say "that was a great first year, do you have any ideas for additional stuff?"

As a former student and current teacher, I can tell you there are no classes quite as good as the ones that the instructor has a passion for. Excited instructors who are able to communicate their excitement seem to be able to rope in people who may have only had a passing interest; but more importantly, teachers with passion provide those who have their own passions with a model for how they can successfully explore that.

Also, you're going to have enough going on with a new job that, when things get rocky, being able to "fall back" on something you know tons about and love will make you look like a total rock star. It ain't easy to find inspiration when you're constantly getting pulled into meetings and having to deal with problematic students and/or parents.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a lot to look forward to!

B33rChiller

a simple request, rather than any kind of advice or suggestion: if possible, include somewhere, even as extra material, a mention of EC comics and their output prior to the CCA. The mention of 1950's scifi got me thinking of that, and how disappointed I am to have only learned of them in my mid 30's

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I don’t know anything about David foster wallace except that he wrote a thing called ‘a supposedly fun thing I’ll never do again’ about cruise ships or something and I use that line all the time

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

The idea of a byob-designed college course is really funny

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
"Well, it was an easy final exam I guess, but I don't really get why the only prompt was to draw a snail with human breasts."

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

cruft

How Wonderful! posted:

"Well, it was an easy final exam I guess, but I don't really get why the only prompt was to draw a snail with human breasts."

If you could scan these in and PM them to me, I have a friend who would really appreciate it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

OoooooooOooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooaaaaaaaaAaaaaaa

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

And just so we're clear, gently caress Asimov and I stand by that.

This post led me down an hours-long rabbit hole that ended with a really thoughtful Medium essay about how to deal with well-written, influential, formative writing by problematic or downright horrible authors.

Thanks, Kief Richards!

Manifisto

cruft posted:

This post led me down an hours-long rabbit hole that ended with a really thoughtful Medium essay about how to deal with well-written, influential, formative writing by problematic or downright horrible authors.

I'd like to read this and probably will, but I wonder if we will ever escape this hellscape in which virtually every content provider requires an account before you can read/watch stuff :sigh:

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

America and its history of foods and how that factored into it becoming its own nation (specifically with tea), the development of handwriting in America over time, transportation network evolution, the rise and fall of Sears-Roebuck, uhhh

Lotsa cool 150-year plus things to do I think, I would totally teach an entire syllabus of historic foods and their cultural underpinnings across the US from 2021-1871

Heather Papps

hello friend

once a friend told me i reminded her of david foster wallace and sent me some speech or something of his. i watched it and was like "he speaks well, thanks" then did a tiny bit of research and was like "oh gently caress was this an extremely well hidden insult" and i'm still not sure

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

bird.

just came up w/ new slang: lmasso or lmfasso

cruft

Manifisto posted:

I'd like to read this and probably will, but I wonder if we will ever escape this hellscape in which virtually every content provider requires an account before you can read/watch stuff :sigh:

I hadn't realized that Medium was paywalling itself. Apparently I'm not as well-read as I'd like to think.

If it's any consolation, Manifisto, all of my most influential essays and software continue to be available for free worldwide without needing to set up an account or anything, at my dumb vanity domain. You're welcome.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

bird. posted:

lmasso in the sargasso

Manifisto

bird. posted:

mango lmasso

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I had to drive 30 miles to work in my broken car because nobody else can show up to work on my scheduled day off to get my car fixed and my mechanic charged me a late cancellation fee and also I need to cry but instead I'm listening to my boss explain why Deleuze is bad (he is wrong).

Anyway.

Let's go blues!!!!!!?!! Sports?!!!!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

go balldos!

bird.

lmassoing @ cat w/ librarian outfit

Heather Papps

hello friend

what is in bensons cup. i bet there's some baileys.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

B33rChiller

Manifisto posted:

Check yo PMs

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

bailey's is a real good milk substitute in cereal

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Munchables posted:

you madman
i want to try it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Munchables posted:

Excuse me but what do I call this, it isn't beereal.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Burial

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

No that's what we call the fun game we play with dead grandma, our emotions and any secrets.

Goons Are Gifts

On greebmas, also with living grandmas

cruft

HELLO AND WELCOME
to
FORUMS POSTER
SPOOKY GHOST

who has been lurking
and is going to post in this thread
any minute now!

We think your av is cool
and I for one
would like to know
why it has a mouse pointer for a hand.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Kief Richards posted:

No that's what we call the fun game we play with dead grandma, our emotions and any secrets.

but like the southern pronunciation of burial. burial, not bareial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

but like the southern pronunciation of burial. burial, not bareial

But I'm southern and have a heavy accent (you've heard it) and I pronounce it "burral."