Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bored Online posted:

i will be ringing in the new year with a 3070 :toot:

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3070s cost a lot of scratch, how do you fine posters live with yourselves. surely your self hatred runs too deep for such extravagance?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i wanted to get an rx 6800 xt but apparently amd has only manufactured exactly 14 of them.

ol' reliable rx 580 will keep me goin for now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i wanted to get an rx 6800 xt but apparently amd has only manufactured exactly 14 of them.

ol' reliable rx 580 will keep me goin for now

you don’t have do subject yourself to that just to impress the yospos amd thread op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Gentle Autist posted:

3070s cost a lot of scratch, how do you fine posters live with yourselves. surely your self hatred runs too deep for such extravagance?

the consumerism is an attempt to materially satisfy our self loathing instead of like, actually addressing the issue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
intel, no, what are you doing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's for people who willing to spend over $450, but less than $488, obviously

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, i guess, for people who want a processor rather than an eternally pending order for one.

if intel can sort their poo poo out they actually probably don't need to be competitive with tsmc, just need to not be bottlenecked by tsmc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol what a wet fart of an 'announcement'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wonder how much apples switch to arm has them panicking

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wonder how much apples switch to arm has them panicking

they knew this was coming. they probably noticed when Apple wasn’t interested in bringing up their future chips. computer makers usually get access to chip models and prototypes about a year in advance. Apple engineers not putting in the effort on the latest would have been obvious.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

it's for people who willing to spend over $450, but less than $488, obviously

they're pretty regularly on sale for $400 or even less. I have one because i couldn't get a zen 3 refreshing store pages on minute one of launch day and needed a processor for my new build, works just fine with a beefy enough cooling solution

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Management posted:

they knew this was coming. they probably noticed when Apple wasn’t interested in bringing up their future chips. computer makers usually get access to chip models and prototypes about a year in advance. Apple engineers not putting in the effort on the latest would have been obvious.

ok so they were maybe panicking a year earlier, but I wonder how much of a loss it really is for them?

I mean, it was a big win for intel at least from a PR standpoint when Apple switched away from PPC

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

intel eating poo poo on their 5g modem project was probably worse for both intel and apple than the pc cpu switch

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol I just remembered the intel x86 cell phones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
now remember their dog poo poo docsis chipset that gave millions incredibly lovely jitter/latency issues on comically huge docsis 3.0 modems that would overheat constantly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

intel eating poo poo on their 5g modem project was probably worse for both intel and apple than the pc cpu switch

for sure. i doubt intel ever made all that much money off of apple to start with. the 5g and generally being unable to build a 1-chip-soc ever was when they really publicly bled.

but generally all part of some broader dysfunction.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ok so they were maybe panicking a year earlier, but I wonder how much of a loss it really is for them?

I mean, it was a big win for intel at least from a PR standpoint when Apple switched away from PPC

financially Apple is a tiny part of intel sales.

reputation-wise Apple is seen as setting the direction for the PC and consumer electronics industry. intel is worried about a domino effect once Apple has blazed the way. remember that arm windows and chromebook and Linux machines already existed, but were largely unwanted. Apple’s MacBook Air is getting amazing reviews, and a lot of PC makers will be pressing Microsoft and their chip vendors to give them similar options.

whether intel has internalized the scope of the problem before the M1 destroyed their competing products, they probably understand it now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if anything, intel is probably more worried about arm making inroads into the server market, since their main business is shipping truckloads of high-margin xeons to enterprise customers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Amazon graviton is really the first one to hurt them in the server space. you can bet every big cloud company is paying attention

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
these mistakes will cost intel an arm and a leg

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
next up intel releases x128

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
finally, I need more than 16 exabytes of RAM to run chrome and teams

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
i pulled a j290 and bought and popped a 3600 in while waiting for my 5900x works pretty good compared to my old 7700 but 12 threads is wildly insufficient

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah the 3600 is a pretty deece chip. I mailed mine to a yosbuddy for christmas after i got my big boi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i wish video cards still existed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i wish you still existed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think i do but thanks for the concern echi

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

look GPUs still exist!

you can choose from a gt 710 or a radeon 5450.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
computers aren’t even real

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

counterpoint:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

counterpoint:

c'est ne pas un ordinateur

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

they’re real. real bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

they’re real. real bad

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

look GPUs still exist!

you can choose from a gt 710 or a radeon 5450.
i lent my brother a 3gb GTX580(full fat fermi!)to hold him over like 2 years ago for Madden and it’s still in service. tbf it’s every bit as powerful as my 1050ti(on iommu bitch duty) but at like 5x the tdp, lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
welp, qualcomm bought out nuvia, which is the company founded by some of the big architects of apple’s chips. rip their server chips.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah qualcomm just killed a their server arm program a few years ago lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah qualcomm just killed a their server arm program a few years ago lol

killed because they were selling bad chips that nobody wanted. now they’re going to take their bad chip ideas and force them into these nuvia chips and guess how that will turn out?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

remains to be seen, qualcomm management was savvy enough to axe their own internal junk pretty quick, and to sew up the market using their actual competitive advantage (functioning modems) paired with barely touched arm reference designs, so might just let nuvia do that work without severe interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

c'est ne pas un ordinateur

ugh, they curb violence, but they allow this?!