Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

BadSamaritan posted:

Tummy time sounds so cute and play-based but in reality it’s you anxiously checking a clock as your baby yells in frustration/anger for the duration.

Another way to get tummy time is to babywear. My kids hated tummy time but were more than happy being worn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pain of Mind posted:

Do you need to go up a size? That was almost always the solution for consistently peeing through diapers at night, even if the smaller one still fits and works fine during the day. Also, I cannot recall what size an 8 month old wears, but there are nighttime diapers that have more absorbent filling which noticeably help.

I don’t think so? He’s at the bottom of the weight for this night diaper. It’s just that laying on his stomach the back half never fills up at all.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Zeeman posted:

First time poster in the thread, honestly need somewhere to vent.

We have two kids. We held both kids out of preschool in the fall and our hope was to send our older kid, who just turned four, starting in January for a couple of days a week. The preschool actually had a small outbreak in the middle of December and that, coupled with the generally lovely numbers here (we're in Atlanta) has made me really nervous, and we kept him home last week when they reopened. But our kid was also diagnosed with mild to moderate ASD in November, so sending him to preschool has become seemingly more crucial for his development socially. His first day is supposed to be tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell about sending him but I also want him to do well socially and not just interact with his little brother.

This all just loving sucks and I hate that every decision right now has to feel so complicated and lovely.

I'm sorry and I'm in the same boat. I don't have any advice for you because the decision is so loving fraught but I hate everything.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

ghost story posted:

Another way to get tummy time is to babywear. My kids hated tummy time but were more than happy being worn.

Oh yeah we did this, at one point going for a walk while wearing was the best way to get them to sleep

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wizzardstaff posted:

I've never heard of this app before now, but if your kid is already showing an interest in playing tablet games then that definitely sounds like it's worth at least 7 bucks to try for a month. How many times have you dropped that much on a new toy or food that didn't pan out like you expected?

You make a compelling case about the cost, but I'm really wondering if this would work nearly as well as expected. I think a large part of my question is around what other parents with remote grandparents are doing at the moment (likely a wider topic anyway).

I do think there's an element of Grandparents wanting to have calls somewhat independently of the parents.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Rooted Vegetable posted:

You make a compelling case about the cost, but I'm really wondering if this would work nearly as well as expected. I think a large part of my question is around what other parents with remote grandparents are doing at the moment (likely a wider topic anyway).

I do think there's an element of Grandparents wanting to have calls somewhat independently of the parents.

We got a portal for ourselves/my parents and my 4 year old spends a ton of time on there with her grandparents, and got a ton of use out of it when she was 3 as well. It lets you do things like read built in stories with voice modulators and other cool stuff to face swap the person telling the story etc. to make it sort of come alive, and has a bunch of other little interactive games (interactive in the sense that you have to run around or move your face at least to do stuff, not like you swipe at the portal.) You have to buy the portals of course, and they're pretty worthless outside of contacting other portals in my experience, but everything else is free and they've continued to update it pretty well so far with new stories and faces. Facebook obviously sucks, but if there's better video conferencing software for a 4 year old I'm not aware of it. I can put her on a zoom call on a tablet, but it has way less nifty kid features, and the portal's ability to follow her as she sprints around the living room is pretty nice. Literally spends hours a day with it just on connected to my grandparents while she plays and does other stuff occasionally yelling at her grandma to look at something. Also she can easily call her grandma on her own now and answer calls.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I don’t think so? He’s at the bottom of the weight for this night diaper. It’s just that laying on his stomach the back half never fills up at all.

Are you also getting boy specific nappies? We've used ones that have greater front absorbency for boys but they often mention tummy sleepers as well.

We usually use cloth nappies and just folded the absorbency inners in half to further bulk up the front but disposable nappies were always more problematic.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ghost story posted:

You can also cradle them on their tummies, which mine preferred for a bit.

Zeeman posted:

First time poster in the thread, honestly need somewhere to vent.

We have two kids. We held both kids out of preschool in the fall and our hope was to send our older kid, who just turned four, starting in January for a couple of days a week. The preschool actually had a small outbreak in the middle of December and that, coupled with the generally lovely numbers here (we're in Atlanta) has made me really nervous, and we kept him home last week when they reopened. But our kid was also diagnosed with mild to moderate ASD in November, so sending him to preschool has become seemingly more crucial for his development socially. His first day is supposed to be tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell about sending him but I also want him to do well socially and not just interact with his little brother.

This all just loving sucks and I hate that every decision right now has to feel so complicated and lovely.

I'm failing at everything and I hate it. My kids don't go to the playground or anything, but we've got a newborn so no chances being taken. I expect things to be unsafe in the fall again and I don't know what I'll do at that point.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

L0cke17 posted:

Weight means nothing. My son is a stringbean and we just moved into a 6 because if he pooped and bent over, we could see poo poo at the top of his asscrack. If we went by weight guidelines, he'd still be in a 4.

It's worth trying the next size up now, worst case you just put them away until he grows into them full time.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

my wife acts like I'm an rear end in a top hat when I put on noise cancelling headphones for poo poo like this, but I highly recommend it

Earplugs honestly saved my sanity when ours was a newborn. Highly recommend - I could still hear him crying, of course, but taking a few decibels off the top was magical

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Earplugs honestly saved my sanity when ours was a newborn. Highly recommend - I could still hear him crying, of course, but taking a few decibels off the top was magical

Same. I’d grab a extra handful from offshore when I was coming back onshore. I’m such a light sleeper, even now they’re older I wake up to the slightest creak on the floorboards.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I had to sleep with ear plugs when my baby was in the room with me since she made so much noise while sleeping. Still woke up the moment she started to make awake noises, there’s some mom instinct that keeps you on high alert even when you’re asleep (and wearing ear plugs).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the time between the excessive drooling and blowing bubbles, and first tooth? Apparently blowing bubbles is a strong indicator of teething?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My son has massive drooling for about two days before we first see tooth poking out. All in the all the first one was like a three week process with drool, blood, and a sleep regression. Now he’s on tooth six and it’s arriving with a lot less fanfare.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Teeth are the devil

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our daughter never was much of a drooler and didn't get a single tooth until 14 months or so. Even then she didn't drool much at all.

Our second just cut his first 2 teeth like a month ago (at 7 months) and he's been drooling massively for quite a while, feels like months. So long that we had given up looking for teeth, then suddenly they came out of nowhere.

So in short: who the hell knows!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

life is killing me posted:

Teeth are the devil

:emptyquote:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

What is the time between the excessive drooling and blowing bubbles, and first tooth? Apparently blowing bubbles is a strong indicator of teething?

My baby started drooling and blowing bubbles at 2 months, as it’s a sign of the salivatory glands kicking in. It’s also when she started sucking on her hands, She’s 3 months now and no teeth yet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Man my 5mo loves shoving both hands into his mouth.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The drool on our son the day before his first teeth came in had my wife convinced we had a leaky ceiling because there was so much on her sleeve she didn't think it could have all come from the baby.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nessa posted:

My baby started drooling and blowing bubbles at 2 months, as it’s a sign of the salivatory glands kicking in. It’s also when she started sucking on her hands, She’s 3 months now and no teeth yet.

This sounds about where we're at

Definitely not roof leak stage

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
In my experience the time between the first ‘teething’ signs and actual teeth is anywhere between 0 days and 8 months. Family members loved to proclaim that my son was teething whenever he drooled / was fussy / ate / didn’t eat. It’s one of those predictions where, if you say it often enough, eventually you’ll be correct.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah drooling is just part of normal baby development as well so it could be because of teeth or it could be because babies gonna drool.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

How common is it for babies to just chew on nothing? Our son has started just doing chewing motions randomly throughout the day. I always check to make sure he didn't get his hands on something but it looks like he's just practicing chewing randomly???

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Babies are little weirdos.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Why is “Goodnight Moon” such a hit with my kid/kids in general for the last sixty whatever years? It’s not even good. Who leaves a bowl full of mush out all night long?

“Stinky Face,” on the other hand, another of my daughter’s favorites, and one I don’t mind reading a thousand times.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Koivunen posted:

Why is “Goodnight Moon” such a hit with my kid/kids in general for the last sixty whatever years? It’s not even good. Who leaves a bowl full of mush out all night long?

“Stinky Face,” on the other hand, another of my daughter’s favorites, and one I don’t mind reading a thousand times.

smithsonian magazine posted:

Although she [the author of goodnight moon] gave some of her earliest stories away for a pittance, Brown became a tough negotiator, once going so far as to mail her editor a set of dueling pistols.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/surprising-ingenuity-behind-goodnight-moon-180961923/

:stare:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I get why Goodnight Moon is a hit, it has an almost hypnotic quality to it of just falling asleep and I enjoy reading it although it was never a top favourite of my kids.

The ones I hate to read are the lovely disney story books where characters have further adventures. The stories suck and are a bit too long and the artwork is usually crap too. Also I do not like pete the cat.

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 15, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Koivunen posted:

We have a (used, pre-scribbled in) copy of Goodnight Moon, but my son much more frequently asks for the parody book Goodnight Goon, which is great. He also loves Monster ABC. All those Hazy Dell monster books we've gotten have been great. Although my pronunciation of Xing Tian can still be inconsistent.

Definitely have Stinky Face too, good stuff.

priznat posted:

The ones I hate to read are the lovely disney story books where characters have further adventures. The stories suck and are a bit too long and the artwork is usually crap too. Also I do not like pete the cat.
That's funny you mention that because I had the opposite problem when someone got us a collection of those really small board books with Disney characters, so it's either one single scene or otherwise way oversimplifying the entire plot down to five sentences, so they were so short they're completely useless.

davebo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 15, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

priznat posted:

I get why Goodnight Moon is a hit, it has an almost hypnotic quality to it of just falling asleep and I enjoy reading it although it was never a top favourite of my kids.

I hate Harold and the purple crayon. My son loved that book for about a week and just wanted to keep reading it, to the point where my wife and I would just ad-lib the book to get through it quickly.

Pout pout fish on the other hand? That’s my jam. Oh, and little blue truck.

nwin fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 15, 2021

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

priznat posted:

We're kind of semi-seriously trying to keep ours a no/low Disney household and, aside from a Frozen puzzlebook someone gifted and an Eeyore sticker somewhere, it's worked so far. Fingers crossed it keeps.

It kinds of leads to what I came to post humblebrag about. We live abroad at the moment and speak our own language at home and English outside, mostly with other ESL speakers. The kid, not quite 3 yet, goes to an English speaking daycare for 25 hours per week. She's picked up our language extremely well and is also picking up English, but both her level of understanding and ability to express herself are vastly better in her native language. This is leading to a situation where she becomes easily frustrated with English voiced cartoons and refuses to watch them because she doesn't understand them well enough.

No advice really sought, but it's a thing. Can't learn without exposure, can't get exposure because it's too frustrating to not to understand.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

priznat posted:

The House in the Night also has this chill, sleepy quality to it. Would recommend for folks that need a break from Goodnight Moon.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Love to wake up to my almost 2-year-old digging in her dirty diaper. Sweetie, can we move the BM a couple hours later?

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I am a long standing Pete the cat fan based on the artists paintings, but even I have to admit the books are not good. I hated the Pout pout fish though - happiness is mandatory, citizen!

The Hug Machine is great if your kid (or yourself) wants 10 billion hugs a day from trees and mailboxes etc

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Goodnight Moon totally rips for inducing sleepiness. Brown Bear, Brown Bear is another one that has the perfect rhythms for bedtime.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
The Pete the Cat books written by Eric Litwin are very good. Its only the first few though. :(

Llama llama was hugely popular for my oldest. My youngest is getting into Clifford. She mostly tries to “copy” her older sister with interests. She’ll “read” Dogman or Wings of Fire. Its pretty cute.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

davebo posted:

Goodnight Goon

We read this every night and she loves it. Saw it at the grocery store in October with the Halloween candy and couldn’t pass it up. Quickly became a favorite.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Goodnight Moon is ok.

99% invisible has a great episode on it's history and Margaret Wise Brown vs the New York Library. Very entertaining.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/goodnight-nobody/

However Goodnight Bear and Goodnight Bunny are just atrocious crap.

There's a large swath of books my kids have liked, but the three that really stood the test of time are:

Going On a Bear Hunt (and it's many many interpretations through YouTube as well as the excellent 30 minute Amazon Prime animation inspired by it).

There's a Monster at the End of This Book

And then this motherfucker right here: https://www.amazon.com/Press-Here-Herve-Tullet/dp/0811879542

Press Here is an "interactive" book where your actions affect the next page and they *love* it. It's so simple but very easy to have fun with. My 6 year old still loves me to read it to her (even though she reads on her own now).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Goodnight Moon feels really pleasant and soothing to read.

I try to read to my baby every day though she’s only 3 months old. We start with some short picture books like I Love You Like No Otter before doing a bigger book. I’ve been reading her Alice in Wonderland lately. The chapters are all 9-11 pages, so nice and short. If she’s night fighting sleep, my reading aloud will put her out.

On her shelf is one of my own favourite books as a kid, Dorrie and the Weather Box. I recently discovered there is a whole series of Dorrie books and I plan to gradually get them all. They’re about a cute little witch and have very charming illustrations.

BonoMan posted:

There's a Monster at the End of This Book

The Monster at the End of This Book is great and I remember it from my own childhood. It’s on an Amazon wish list I have of books for the baby along with more Dr. Seuss, Magic School Bus and novels like Wizard of Oz and Pippi Longstocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nessa posted:

Goodnight Moon feels really pleasant and soothing to read.

I try to read to my baby every day though she’s only 3 months old. We start with some short picture books like I Love You Like No Otter before doing a bigger book. I’ve been reading her Alice in Wonderland lately. The chapters are all 9-11 pages, so nice and short. If she’s night fighting sleep, my reading aloud will put her out.

On her shelf is one of my own favourite books as a kid, Dorrie and the Weather Box. I recently discovered there is a whole series of Dorrie books and I plan to gradually get them all. They’re about a cute little witch and have very charming illustrations.

The Monster at the End of This Book is great and I remember it from my own childhood. It’s on an Amazon wish list I have of books for the baby along with more Dr. Seuss, Magic School Bus and novels like Wizard of Oz and Pippi Longstocking.

Dangit I always get the title wrong.

Oh and yeah my kid loves the (animated series) for Magic School Bus. She legit learns stuff from that.

And apparently Storybots on Netflix. She came in to proudly tell me that she knows how computers work. "They convert everything down to 1s and 0s and communicate on a universal language!"

She's 6. I was like "what the ... where the hell did you learn that?" and turns out it's Storybots so that's awesome!