Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Dictator. posted:

Just a controller for now..

MODS BAN THIS CHUCKELFUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tuo posted:

I never 3d printed an outer shell based on some released cad data from an actual f1 car from a recent bankrupt team for my own simrig to make it look nice and cancelled the project after like 200 hours of constant printing. NEVER!!!

I'd like to know more about this CAD data. Is it in .dwg format? How big are the files?

(I use a lot of cad at work.)

Dictator. posted:

Just a controller for now..

I picked up a Logitech G920 wheel for Christmas, and it still feels really strange. I like it, though, and I'm going to stick with it.

Edit: I also just got in the waiting list for this thing because I'm a big drat nerd.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 12, 2021

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I’ll keep an eye out on deals on that. I missed about 5 years of PlayStation content so have enough to keep myself occupied for now before I dive into the sim racing rabbit hole.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

2000 euro? thats poverty spec, you need quad sli 3090's or why are you even bothering

Because ETS doesn't even have raytracing it's such hot garbage poo poo piss

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

2000 euro? thats poverty spec, you need quad sli 3090's or why are you even bothering

I once built a quad-sli 480 rig (which was a big hassle, because the EVGA board firmware that actually worked only worked like a ferrari, so not really) and mostly played Eve online with it. Was a good time because the whole year felt like summer in my room, temperature-wise. I think I also caused global warming with that, so I stopped and got a PS3 or 4 or something. I'm also stupid.

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 12, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cessna posted:

I'd like to know more about this CAD data. Is it in .dwg format? How big are the files?

You'd have had to be in the F1technical.net forums when manor was auctioned off. A lot of poo poo landed on the internet in that time, some guy got the 1/4 wind tunnel prototype of the car that never saw light (and even some actual 1/1 prototype parts planned for next season etc.). Also lot of CAD-data. The simulator was snagged up by some other racing team, but it actually was not much more than a pretty advanced simrig, so nothing like the Mercedes-poo poo that's IIRC based on airplane simulators.

I'd actually have to search in what format the data I got was, but it was from a CFD setup, and was a pain in the rear end to turn back into something I could work with (I'm not into CAD, but mostly visualizing stuff, so I mostly work with Cinema4D and Maya), and even worse to turn into something you could print piece by piece on a cheap, really cheap office 3d printer.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I got my mother a Le Creuset pot for her birthday (in two weeks). She has a big one, but once said she also would really like to have the smaller, shallow one. It's red though....red was cheaper than the others. Thanks for listening.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’m watching a bit of ‘97 over lunch and gee the driving standards are pretty lousy, at least early on. The field quality aside from Schumacher and some of the Senna/Prost/Piquet era legacy drivers (like Berger, Alesi, and Hakkinen) is pretty poor. The fact that 38 year old Berger was hammering guys almost half his age is funny.

Villeneuve is terrible at starts, and Frentzen and Irvine are pretty unimpressive. Lol at Alesi ignoring team instructions to pit in Austria and running out of fuel. Panis is impressive so far but I think his performance may have been flattered by the Bridgestone tires and Mugen engine.

Frond fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 12, 2021

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Berger winning in the twilight of his career, after missing 3 races, was pretty damning about the state of the field in my opinion.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Berger winning in the twilight of his career, after missing 3 races, was pretty damning about the state of the field in my opinion.

Not to take anything away from Berger, who in his prime was probably one of the best to never be WDC. But yeah the fact that he was walking the field was embarrassing.

Frond fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 12, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I honestly don’t remember the field being THIS bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Not to take anything away from Berger, who in his prime was probably one of the best to never be WDC. But yeah the fact that he was walking the field was embarrassing.

I love Berger and I doubt many other drivers could’ve done that at that point of their career but yeah it says a lot about the fact that he was in a position to be able to do that.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

I love Berger and I doubt many other drivers could’ve done that at that point of their career but yeah it says a lot about the fact that he was in a position to be able to do that.

loving Nicola Larini being able to score points in a Sauber after two years out of the car is also both impressive and shocking - another 80s/early 90s carryover who wasn’t particularly good being able to be reasonably competitive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

I honestly don’t remember the field being THIS bad.

The late 90s field is always a bit weird to me because even the big names were making massive gently caress ups (Mika having a legit televised mental break down, Schumacher stalling at a title deciding race) and then you have HHF who criminally underperformed at Williams and is suddenly a title contender at loving Jordan of all teams.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
HHF is generally awful in the first 3 races of ‘97. Two of those retirements weren’t his fault really but still. His Brazil performance was a joke.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Fisichella loving sucks god drat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I suspect there was some sort of rift between him and Head and that just bled over into his performance. Watching that Formula 3 Brundle versus Senna documentary I got the impression Jordan was really big on driver psychology and building them up, I think that probably went a long way towards HHF turning things around.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

I suspect there was some sort of rift between him and Head and that just bled over into his performance. Watching that Formula 3 Brundle versus Senna documentary I got the impression Jordan was really big on driver psychology and building them up, I think that probably went a long way towards HHF turning things around.

This is likely true as it allowed a down on his form De Cesaris to revive his career.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
My rebuttal to anyone who suggests the Prost/Senna/Piquet/Mansell/Lauda II era not as good as everyone makes it out to be is to go watch some of the 95-00 era races and get back to me. Yeeesh.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tuo posted:

I'd actually have to search in what format the data I got was, but it was from a CFD setup, and was a pain in the rear end to turn back into something I could work with (I'm not into CAD, but mostly visualizing stuff, so I mostly work with Cinema4D and Maya), and even worse to turn into something you could print piece by piece on a cheap, really cheap office 3d printer.

drat, so cool.

I followed open wheel back when there was a race here in Denver through Champ Car - I could watch the race from my apartment - but when they imploded in 2006 I sorta stopped following. I've been getting back into F1 a lot lately, and I was just interested in seeing what was out there in CAD. I do a lot of CAD/GIS work for environmental surveying through my work, and it would be more fun to play with a model car than, say, a river crossing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I kinda roll my eyes at the people claiming the nostalgia for the 80s era is misplaced.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

I kinda roll my eyes at the people claiming the nostalgia for the 80s era is misplaced.

Every season between 1980-1991 is good to great. Arguably the worst one is 1980 and that still kicks rear end.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Frond posted:

Fisichella loving sucks god drat.

This, loving this.

13 years of sucking

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Best fisi moment was him dive bombing passes in monaco 2005 and people getting out of the way because they thought he was alonso lapping them

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

the corona quid posted:

My dad followed the sport back in the day and likes to talk about races at Watkins Glen in the 70s, it sounds like it was amazing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cessna posted:

My dad followed the sport back in the day and likes to talk about races at Watkins Glen in the 70s, it sounds like it was amazing.

Those races were amazing - not only the track (which is, along with Road America, the best in the USA) but the crowds were known for being rowdy and wild. Like a Woodstock '99 for F1(it's why they went to LV after the final race there in 1980.) Very pretty in the fall too.

I think that year they lit a car on fire in the spectator area during the night.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 12, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

This, loving this.

13 years of sucking

In his slight defense, Ralf is also a huge dumbass and hosed him out of a probable podium at Argentina, which is a terrible, terrible track. A pale shadow of it's former high speed greatness.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
id take fishichella over hulkenberg

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ralf and Montoya were probably the two biggest morons to ever stumble into the best car on the grid. Their 2003 season was a travesty

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I still like Montoya - he was one of the first who could match Michael on raw pace after Senna died - the other two being Raikkonen and Alonso.

Remember when Toyota paid him like 420 million dollars to lead their team? Oh brother.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 12, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Frond posted:

Those races were amazing - not only the track (which is, along with Road America, the best in the USA) but the crowds were known for being rowdy and wild. Like a Woodstock '99 for F1(it's why they went to LV after the final race there in 1980.) Very pretty in the fall too.

I think that year they lit a car on fire in the spectator area during the night.

I don’t know if it was during a formula GP but my dad was there the year someone stole a greyhound bus from the parking lot and drove it into a mud pit known as “the bog” where everyone threw rocks at it until it was set on fire.

He said he went there every year for years and never once saw or even knew what race was happening lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t know if it was during a formula GP but my dad was there the year someone stole a greyhound bus from the parking lot and drove it into a mud pit known as “the bog” where everyone threw rocks at it until it was set on fire.

He said he went there every year for years and never once saw or even knew what race was happening lol.

This is what Eccelstone took from us. As an aside, Cool Dad.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Which was a worse decision? Toyota trying to build a team around Ralf or Ford trying to do the same with Eddie Irvine?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lol it was the Grand Prix.

https://youtu.be/Q2-ZmI1HBFw

Video has at least a few frames of the bus on fire midway through. Now I can tell my dad he’s been to a formula 1 GP lol

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As its now the off season thread does anyone have the nelsons massive lamp pic?

I can't find it anywhere :saddowns:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Lol it was the Grand Prix.

https://youtu.be/Q2-ZmI1HBFw

Video has at least a few frames of the bus on fire midway through. Now I can tell my dad he’s been to a formula 1 GP lol

Sick.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Which was a worse decision? Toyota trying to build a team around Ralf or Ford trying to do the same with Eddie Irvine?

Irvine by far. He had his hand on the title in ‘99 and couldn’t nail it home, all the while just shrugging his shoulders and saying he wasn’t Schumacher. I dunno why in the gently caress they thought he was ever going to be the guy to get a difficult project off the ground.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Skarsnik posted:

As its now the off season thread does anyone have the nelsons massive lamp pic?

I can't find it anywhere :saddowns:

I haven't heard that phrase in a decade and it brought an immediate smile to my face.

Please show us the huge lamp in these trying times.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Frond posted:

Those races were amazing - not only the track (which is, along with Road America, the best in the USA) but the crowds were known for being rowdy and wild.

I got the impression that there were also a lot of stories of the type that you don't tell your kid, the kind where there was a LOT of alcohol involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Tire warmers making their first mentioned on-screen appearance at Britain 87.

The four way battle in 86 and 87 between Mansell, Prost, Piquet, and Senna adds a lot of spice, especially when Mansell and Senna are wrecking each other every few races.

Why does this announcer call everyone little. He's called Prost "the diminutive Frenchman" for like five seasons. He said similar things about Arnoux, and now just referenced "little Teo Fabi."

I wonder if Senna insisted that Nakajima get the on board camera (he's had it most of the races) as a subtle sabotage just like he blocked getting a decent teammate the season before.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 13, 2021