Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

jokes posted:

Gotta understand that, while it might seem to us like Coronavirus is The Only Virus, to epidemiologists it's a blip. There are currently like 4 pandemics worldwide, each of them being barely thwarted at destroying all civilization. There's more coming down the pipe, no question. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next year, maybe in 50 years.

The problem is that these diseases never go away. They just stop being a total road block to life due to intervention. HIV/AIDS, for example, is still ongoing but is mostly handled with interventive treatment, public health programs, etc. MERS, Ebola, they're not completely eradicated. In the right circumstances and with a similar lack of intervention they, too, could be in the news. Coronavirus would have never been a problem with proper intervention. The disease isn't really that special, it's just that it hit when our governments were the loving stupidest.

To that end, epidemiologists are also primarily math people in my experience. They seem to assume that everyone is just aimlessly milling about in a really big field touching random things and licking random surfaces. I mean, in a way, we are I guess. But to epidemiologists a lot of predictions are shockingly accurate until they're not because of a missed detail which is fixed for future modeling but it's unfair to think they should have the perfect understanding without more research/data which is hard to do. I mean, how could they predict that wearing masks would be a political issue, even inside the Congress?

The asymptomatic spread makes Covid a real motherfucker to stop, you don't have the same kind of asymptomatic plague bearers going around for days infecting people and feeling fine with MERS or Ebola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always wondered about that. In my opinion the best comparative disease would have been HIV because of the asymptomatic spread component and the complete governmental inaction in trying to resolve it. I guess there's a parallel between normalizing mask usage and normalizing condom usage?

Speaking of, what were the most effective methods of slowing/ending HIV transmission? Was it just 'wait for drugs'?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jokes posted:

I always wondered about that. In my opinion the best comparative disease would have been HIV because of the asymptomatic spread component and the complete governmental inaction in trying to resolve it. I guess there's a parallel between normalizing mask usage and normalizing condom usage?

Speaking of, what were the most effective methods of slowing/ending HIV transmission? Was it just 'wait for drugs'?

Covid and HIV are interesting in that they have resulted in societal changes, but not really demographic ones. Plague and smallpox reshaped populations, now we just have to change how we behave.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

jokes posted:

FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT

BallisticClipboard posted:

So is Fauci bad now and should be ignored?

I think Fauci is bad in some senses, but he can't be ignored. As far as I can tell he is one of the few insights into what we're supposed to be doing at any rate. He says he will keep "increasing the number to reach herd immunity" or whatever that news clip was about, but I doubt it will ever go over the 100% the TWiV guys suspect may be the case (according to early data, yada yada). If I had to read what he's saying they're going to vaccinate everyone with whatever vaccine, call it herd immunity either way.

At least one of the newer TWiV's I was listening to today had a bit about a newer study that indicated the more sever the disease progression, the more significant the long term mental impairments (could that be long term low O2 sat? idk). If that's the case for a lot of the secondary effects, maybe I should just stop asking questions and look forward to being vaccinated asap and gently caress everyone else.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waiting for Co(vi)dot: 2021

Rolando
Jan 12, 2021
Aren't there like 4 separate mutations around the world now? I wonder how (if?) the current vaccine will be effective against those.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Delta-Wye posted:

I spend a lot of time with academics and researchers and one video sounds like an educated person, and it's not fauci. He sounds like he has trumpo brain worms in that clip, and I think he's spreading easily-misunderstood information purposefully.
your twiv link is hosed, it doesn't have a video id

also, keep in mind that fauci is still part of trump's admin and must keep his feet still to not get fired

start judging him personally once trump's gone

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fauci has been part of every admin for like a third of a century now

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

and your conclusion from that is what?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm concerned once the deathrate drops enough, we'll all just start ignoring it even more than we already are. The only reason why people care are the case and death numbers are big, and if the death numbers were low noone would bother testing and then the whole thing is over. ish. I liken it to HIV and AIDS. It feels kind of disingenuous to give people a vaccine that makes people 95% immune to AIDS and told them "go rawdog wild, you're immune!" but only gave them 65% cover from contracting HIV. If you drive ~20x the number of infections through this policy, it's not only disingenuous but also pretty ineffectual.

I'm not sure if I understand what the world looks like with a ~65% reduction in transmission and fully opened up (big events, no masks) - Ro would still be well above 1 in an immune naive population. Mathematically I wouldn't expect covid to be <1 until we've driven a lot more infections to hit herd immunity which is probably impossible w/ reinfection being possible. Even what looks like a generous few years of acquired immunity would keep it from happening. Hard to really imagine a situation where things don't get better, especially in situations where vaccinations become a class issue - the virus bounces around the population but only kills prisoners, destitute people, or others. We have a lot to learn, but I certainly hope we won't be in a situation where we need regular boosters either from waning immunity or losing efficacy to viral variation or something because I can't imagine that being done fairly anywhere.

In the US most of us are acting like we're immune even without the vaccine

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Rolando posted:

Aren't there like 4 separate mutations around the world now? I wonder how (if?) the current vaccine will be effective against those.

There are thousands?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

From what I’ve read it should be fine as the vaccines target the spike proteins which they all still have.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bavaria just made FFP2 masks mandatory in public transit and retail stores.

https://twitter.com/tonline/status/1348970022622932993

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think we're getting a curfew tonight lol

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/ReporterFaith/status/1348989713928040450

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Another rep tests positive after having to hole up with cultists during the Capitol siege.
https://twitter.com/bensiegel/status/1348967887596384258?s=20
I doubt she’ll be the last.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 12, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Bape Culture posted:

From what I’ve read it should be fine as the vaccines target the spike proteins which they all still have.

It is a mutation that involves the spike.

The Brazil/Japan and the South African variants all share the E484K mutation, as well as N501Y (which is present in B117).

There is evidence of the E484K mutation escaping neutralization serum, reduced serum efficacy and documented reinfection after a previous case of covid.

Edit: No proof of escaping vaccination. Unless the vaccine allows the immune system to have a much more robust response to the spike changes than a native learned immunity it seems plausible.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 12, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ooh we got a big anniversary coming up, the first reported case of covid-19 in the US was confirmed on Jan 20 2020 and he'd started showing symptoms on Jan 15. The US's first year of covid is nearly over.

The current smoothed average is slightly over a quarter million new cases per day so the second year is going to have a bad start ...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Blitter posted:

The Brazil/Japan and the South African variants all share the E484K mutation, as well as N501Y (which is present in B117).

There is evidence of the E484K mutation escaping neutralization from vaccination, reduced serum efficacy and documented reinfection after a previous case of covid.

Oh what the gently caress :(

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Blitter posted:

There is evidence of the E484K mutation escaping neutralization from vaccination, reduced serum efficacy and documented reinfection after a previous case of covid.

Can you link your source for the E484K mutation escaping neutralization?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Bavaria just made FFP2 masks mandatory in public transit and retail stores.

https://twitter.com/tonline/status/1348970022622932993

To non-Europeans: Those are N95/KN95 masks.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

compshateme85 posted:

Can you link your source for the E484K mutation escaping neutralization?

Edit : no specific evidence of escape by neutralization of vaccine, just serum efficacy reduction and escape, and documented reinfection with E484K after a non-E484K infection..

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202101.0132/v1

https://github.com/hodcroftlab/covariants/blob/master/README.md#se484 has links to the other relevant studies

Blitter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 12, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

News from my corner of the world: WE ARE hosed.

Mexico city's hospitals are close to collapse. My own city is on its way as well, authorities are starting to close down malls, bars, restaurants and stores that are allowing too many people in. A fancy mall over here -with no supermarkets or private medical services- got losed down after allowing the entrance to just too many people, rumors say the last straw was an old man in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank who was allowed in with his family.

Funny part is that they never did that before December, the month were people went nuts with shopping (example: walmart was a nightmare of long lines during December, now is nearly empty). So probably the numbers of the infected got scary and they don't want people to realize how bad they messed up.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

also, keep in mind that fauci is still part of trump's admin and must keep his feet still to not get fired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XPInyUqp9I&t=1136s

Thanks for the heads up. it's pretty much a 30second clip from an expert quietly alluding to why we are all EXTREMELY boned afaict

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Delta-Wye posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XPInyUqp9I&t=1136s

Thanks for the heads up. it's pretty much a 30second clip from an expert quietly alluding to why we are all EXTREMELY boned afaict

There was a study out of Wuhan that asymptomatic, as opposed to presymptomatic, people do not transmit the virus.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

There was a study out of Wuhan that asymptomatic, as opposed to presymptomatic, people do not transmit the virus.

Did you read the full study? They found 300 asymptotes amongst the whole population of the city, but couldn't find any downstream infections. they didn't find a single symptomatic person, the whole thing felt very strange. Am I thinking of the wrong study? Reading the contents of it really made me feel like one of those situations where the headline and the article are a bit at odds. AFAIK there was no explanation on how those 300 asymptomatic people contracted the virus either :iiam:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Zugzwang posted:

Biden, the President-Elect, just got his second jab. I doubt all the congressfolk have.

What, the U.S. are vaccinating their politicians before the people-at-risk in the general public?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What, the U.S. are vaccinating their politicians before the people-at-risk in the general public?
they are at risk lmao
https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladi...sh=13348d9d2fb6

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mithaldu posted:

can i judge him personally for his response to aids?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Stunt_enby posted:

Nope, that's not allowed either.

Fauci may be the savviest politician in Washington. He's certainly been there long enough to have picked up a few things.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Joe Biden is 78 years old so yeah he's pretty at-risk himself.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ah, I forgot how ancient the population of the Capitol is. 75 and still writing laws!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Stunt_enby posted:

sure. my comment was obviously only in re covid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Uuurgh, speaking of the Australian federal parliament having some lovely takes on the pandemic, someone asked the acting Prime Minister whether they were going to do anything about some of their ministers spreading covid disinformation online and he pulled out the old "But what are facts anyway? Many sides, oh well!" bullshit

quote:

In Australia, Government backbenchers George Christensen and Craig Kelly have previously been criticised for spreading views that hydroxychloroquine is an effective treatment for coronavirus.

Mr Christensen has also posted in support of Mr Trump's claims about the election results and that "masks and lockdowns don't work".

When asked if the pair should be counselled about their posts, Mr McCormack said he did not believe they should.

"Facts are sometimes contentious, and what you might think is right somebody else might think is completely untrue," Mr McCormack said.

"That is part of living in a democratic country."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-12/michael-mccormack-criticised-comparing-blm-protests-capitol-riot/13049322

He pulled out a whole bunch of other lovely hot takes during that interview such as "Actually businesses tell me they don't want pandemic stimulus, they want to open 'er up" and "Sure the US Capitol riot might have been bad but BLM also did a violence so let's talk about them instead". He's also super mad that Twitter banned Trump.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 12, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

jokes posted:

Gotta understand that, while it might seem to us like Coronavirus is The Only Virus, to epidemiologists it's a blip. There are currently like 4 pandemics worldwide, each of them being barely thwarted at destroying all civilization. There's more coming down the pipe, no question. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next year, maybe in 50 years.

The problem is that these diseases never go away. They just stop being a total road block to life due to intervention. HIV/AIDS, for example, is still ongoing but is mostly handled with interventive treatment, public health programs, etc. MERS, Ebola, they're not completely eradicated. In the right circumstances and with a similar lack of intervention they, too, could be in the news. Coronavirus would have never been a problem with proper intervention. The disease isn't really that special, it's just that it hit when our governments were the loving stupidest.

Not really. HIV/AIDS, MERS and Ebola are all far, far, far more difficult to transmit than COVID.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gently caress Facebook man

I have to tell my extended family they shouldn’t drink Chlorine Dioxide, literally, because they see random images from Yoga and Chakra people recommending it against Covid, and they want to help I guess and forward an image with made up facts that looks official

Please don’t drink Chlorine, in dioxide form or otherwise

https://www.chemicalsafetyfacts.org/chlorine-dioxide/

FW:FW:FW stopped being funny in 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

And I correct them at my own risk of being expelled from the family chat for disrespecting the person who posted it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ha! Only took them 9 months to get this going.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1349113594374463492?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Uh. I don't think that'll do much at this point. Since it's just about all community spread.