Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ONE is a much better seat of his pants writer I think. Or there may be outside pressures affecting the manga? However, its just a fact that some writers shouldnt be allowed to retread their work.

So id rather read the serious thing he does for a hobby, rather than the halfassed thing he does for a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Maybe its just me, but what has reduced my enjoyment of OPM is the fact that the more characters they add, the less its focused on Saitama, to the point where the main character of the show now just makes occasional cameos and because of that, a majority of the comedy is removed and it now feels like a depressing and miserable but well drawn slog for the most part.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

graham cracker posted:

Maybe its just me, but what has reduced my enjoyment of OPM is the fact that the more characters they add, the less its focused on Saitama, to the point where the main character of the show now just makes occasional cameos and because of that, a majority of the comedy is removed and it now feels like a depressing and miserable but well drawn slog for the most part.

This is definitely my feeling as well. Without Saitama, there's very little if anything separating this from an otherwise-generic shonen battle manga.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I also find it pretty generic and maybe even a bit boring right now. I'm also pretty confused what the canon story is now as well. The Phoenixman fight(s) was/were definitely the worst part, incredibly generic Calvinball nonsense, and I hope it doesn't get redrawn yet again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its gorgeously drawn and the characters themselves are better/more interesting than most generic shounen characters. Without a focus on the ancillary characters the entire Saitama gag stops working. When it comes down to it, you need a well realized character like Suiryu and some focus on him for the reversal and Hero entrance of Saitama to really land. This goes for the S-Class, they're main characters!! Like 1/4th of them are part of Saitama's crew! Who wouldn't want more of a focus on King?

And anyone who is concurrently following the One version should realize that that version is now following all of the S-Class characters on their own adventures and Saitama is kind of off to the side until he will inevitably show up for the gag!! [this has no real story spoilers but I guess don't click it if you're not following it]

I think a lot of the fatigue comes from the fact that anyone who read the One version knows where its all going so its a real fireworks factory situation, but I love the Murata version so every chapter is like delicous grave to me.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 31, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Its gorgeously drawn and the characters themselves are better/more interesting than most generic shounen characters. Without a focus on the ancillary characters the entire Saitama gag stops working. When it comes down to it, you need a well realized character like Suiryu and some focus on him for the reversal and Hero entrance of Saitama to really land. This goes for the S-Class, they're main characters!! Like 1/4th of them are part of Saitama's crew! Who wouldn't want more of a focus on King?

And anyone who is concurrently following the One version should realize that that version is now following all of the S-Class characters on their own adventures and Saitama is kind of off to the side until he will inevitably show up for the gag!! [this has no real story spoilers but I guess don't click it if you're not following it]

I think a lot of the fatigue comes from the fact that anyone who read the One version knows where its all going so its a real fireworks factory situation, but I love the Murata version so every chapter is like delicous grave to me.

Right now my opinion of the comic wildly varies depending who is getting screentime.

Boring:
Puri Puri Prisoner
Child Emperor
Drive Knight
Flashy Flash (Sans Saitama)

Mildly Interesting:
B Team Hijinks
Bang and Bro
Esper Pissing Match
Atomic Samurai

Very Interesting:
Genos
Zombieman
King
Flashy Flash (With Saitama)
SuperAlloy Darkshine
Garou
Apprentices, SuperSuits and Sweet Mask

S Tier:
Saitama
Tanktop and Mumen Rider

Looking at my totally accurate never wrong 100% objective list, the better bits are the ones with more story beats and group tensions or cool super powers, while the lower ranked ones are fightfests that just kind of got dragged out forever.

Tanktop and Mumen Rider bits got actual fists pumps from me during those chapters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The ONE version hasn't had Mumen Rider show up in like 30 chapters which is like 4 years, so I like the Murata version since he and Tank Top Master have become friends and given him an elevation in story relevance.

Can't believe anyone could yawn at Drive Knight, his robotic combat style is way more interesting than Metal Knight's War Machine 'More missiles' tactics.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

The ONE version hasn't had Mumen Rider show up in like 30 chapters which is like 4 years, so I like the Murata version since he and Tank Top Master have become friends and given him an elevation in story relevance.

Can't believe anyone could yawn at Drive Knight, his robotic combat style is way more interesting than Metal Knight's War Machine 'More missiles' tactics.

Okay, you've got a good point on drive knight. I've mentally got him stuck in "fighter shape" for the last few months so I wasn't giving him the credit he deserves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Okay, you've got a good point on drive knight. I've mentally got him stuck in "fighter shape" for the last few months so I wasn't giving him the credit he deserves.

It's nuts he's like a step below a swarm of nanites. So many different form-shifts at the drop of a hat.

drat, now I'm wondering if he's a complete robot, an android like Genos or a drone. Imagine Drive Knight Requiem and he's goddamn MegaMan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

Without a focus on the ancillary characters the entire Saitama gag stops working.

That goes both ways. Without a focus on Saitama the ancillary characters are exactly the generic archetypes they appear to be.

Drive Knight does kick rear end and I won't be saying otherwise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This arc ended in the one version over six years ago.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

MorningMoon posted:

This arc ended in the one version over six years ago.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. The manga started 3 years after the webcomic and though this arc may be 6 years old in the webcomic, there certainly hasn't been 6 years worth of updates there either.

The question of 'what is cannon' is getting increasingly hairy since the webcomic is now serving up story beats that relate more closely the the Murata version than ONE's own original script, the final redraw of the Phoenixman fight being especially egregious in that regard.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'll be honest, I'm still laughing about Saitama just casually punching his way into a psychic plane of existence that's supposed to only be used by mascots and the people who wear them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Super Rad posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. The manga started 3 years after the webcomic and though this arc may be 6 years old in the webcomic, there certainly hasn't been 6 years worth of updates there either.

The question of 'what is cannon' is getting increasingly hairy since the webcomic is now serving up story beats that relate more closely the the Murata version than ONE's own original script, the final redraw of the Phoenixman fight being especially egregious in that regard.

Mostly just how long this is taking. More thoroughly: Six years ago was when the Boros arc ended. ONE readers were trying to hold it together about who King was. It had been two years since the start of the redraw 'till that huge climax with Boros. For me, personally, six years+ ago was when I was so in love with OPM that I wanted more and started reading the webcomic, fell in love with king, got all the way to the end of this arc, and enjoyed all the things that have happened yet (even though, yes, its been way limited updated, but still two arcs) so it's frustrating to me that we're still not at the next arc ending. The tournament arc in hindsight absolutely is there to have a powerful climax, but it just didn't hit as hard.
Like, out of 139 chapters, 100 are after Garou's introduction. It's just too much. It's too messy for what used to be the most easy recommendation in the world.

I still enjoy it, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as to drop it, but man. I wanna get to the fireworks factory.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm fine with Murata expanding out 100 chapters on the condition that he add a Fubuki in each chapter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

I'll be honest, I'm still laughing about Saitama just casually punching his way into a psychic plane of existence that's supposed to only be used by mascots and the people who wear them.

Yeah, the Phoenixman fights only got better as they remembered- oh gently caress, this one's supposed to be goofy, like he's fighting a cartoon.

I appreciate the constant redraws for not leaving interesting fights off screen like Cerberus robot vs samurai robot. But drat do I want Saitama to sneeze at Garou and end this arc already.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm fine with Murata expanding out 100 chapters on the condition that he add a Fubuki in each chapter

:hmmyes:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
That's a weird way to spell Mizuki

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you mean king but okay

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Josuke Higashikata posted:

you mean king but okay

King is so powerful even Murata is afraid to draw him too horny.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Have a rawr new chapter

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/13933686331793273798

Nice to see this seemingly coming to a kind of end with Psychic Lady who's name escapes me at the moment with a cool bit of team work and then whatever the hell the last spread is about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Team attacks?!

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

This is simply the most badass thing I've ever seen drawn.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Popo posted:

Have a rawr new chapter

Nice to see this seemingly coming to a kind of end with Psychic Lady who's name escapes me at the moment with a cool bit of team work and then whatever the hell the last spread is about.

Hot drat that poo poo looks awesome.

I also suddenly have Nibelung Valesti in my head.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was not expecting the Genos and Drive Knight gattai :kamina:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 12, 2021

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Popo posted:

Have a rawr new chapter

I love how every S-class's super move feels like they're the main character of another manga doing their ultimate attack, down to the page layouts :allears:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
that chapter is so loving awesome and funny and good

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Popo posted:

Have a rawr new chapter

Power of the Tank Top!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:drat:

Not emptyquoting but this summarizes my thoughts.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

how it started

quote:

I still enjoy it, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as to drop it, but man. I wanna get to the fireworks factory.

quote:

how its going

quote:

This is simply the most badass thing I've ever seen drawn.

quote:

that chapter is so loving awesome and funny and good

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

For actual content this manga is going to be the absolute loving bomb when its done and we can all read it back-to-back in a sitting. Its taking its sweet time though, for sure.

Imagine you're a 2100's kid who one day stumbles upon this unknown manga omnibus called One Punch Man.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Translations up: https://guya.moe/proxy/imgur/zZd2NhM/1/1/

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Instakill, nooooo!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I had been thinking that it might be a loooong time before we see Saitama do anything in the manga. But could this be leading to a Saitama vs (what I can only guess is) God fight?

Gotta say with so many monsters and Garou still in play, I did not see that coming...

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Bisse posted:

how it started

how its going

hey i just want to say i never come in here and dunk on the manga i fuckin love OPM in all its forms. it is my holy trinity

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bisse posted:

how it started

how its going

Murata draws spectacle and high energy fights incredibly well so no matter what complaints I do have for the series it will still look cool most of the time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont remember that in the webcomic..,..

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gologle posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING

Get ready for Orochi Phase III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

oh jay posted:

Get ready for Orochi Phase III.

It's clearly phoenixman