Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Orange Devil posted:

Sounds like a thought tendency that is easy to morph into fascism.
:hitler: "Let me divide humanity into various sub-species, from angelic descendants of the skies to dirt creatures that burrowed up from where we bury our waste..."
*Korean nationalist pops up in the middle of my yard with a shovel and hard hat*

e: map

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

This is partly a cultural and partly a fiscal thing, apparently. In Greece at least, where the same is true, it's apparently common practice for a family to buy a plot of land and basically build up a house over years or decades. From what I understand, the reason so many remain unfinished is that a property only becomes taxable when it's actually habitable, so a lot of families will, say, come into an inheritance, lay the foundation and pour the concrete form of a house, and then leave it until they can afford the next phases.

Of course, the financial crisis froze those plans for many people, which is why you see endless concrete husks with rebar poking out of them throughout the Greek and Cypriot countrysides.

It's not just a Greek thing — it's also like that in most countries where the currency has collapsed or has rampant inflation, or where trust in banks to not steal or freeze their accounts is extremely low. No one trusts to keep their money in the bank, but property is a real thing you can own and put (and keep) value into. Stuff under eternal construction is common all across North Africa too. I stayed in the beach home of a middle class Egyptian friend a couple hours west of Alexandria, and that place had no hot water (not that you need it tbh and it did have piped water at least) nor electricity besides one solar panel for charging phones, but the walls were up so they could already use it as a beach house. No noticeable progress was made in the two times we went there, about 8 months apart.

I've heard the tax thing is a common myth, and that you'll get taxed even if you still have your third floor with rebar sticking out, but that might depend on the country/jurisdiction/your personal relation with the real estate appraisal people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

The renovations to the Brussels Palace of Justice will be done in 2040

Sagrada Familia will be done by then at least. Probably.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I have a Korean friend from university who has got into this stuff and she just comes out with the wildest poo poo.

From what I understand she now believes that Koreans are a separate species of human that emerged from inside the earth.
That's literally the gauls' and various other celtic tribes' creation myth. I guess we all lived in some caves at some point, they should tell historians about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We know of the Korean outposts in Europe, and will deal with them when the time comes :finland:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

:hitler: "Let me divide humanity into various sub-species, from angelic descendants of the skies to dirt creatures that burrowed up from where we bury our waste..."
*Korean nationalist pops up in the middle of my yard with a shovel and hard hat*

e: map

Why is Jerusalem on the other side of the planet from paradise on Earth, and what is the cosmological significance of dark wood?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dark wood is where the entrance to Hell meets the surface and is presumably somewhere in Italy because that's where Dante was wandering when he enters.

When Satan was expelled from Heaven he landed on Jerusalem and made a huge crater underneath it, pushing the earthly paradise out in the form of a huge mountain.

Jerusalem was the center of many of the old maps, especially T and O maps, because of the religious significance as well as nicely dividing the hemisphere of land into Europe/Africa/Asia, with the Levant as the hub.

Still makes more sense than flat earth.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Guavanaut posted:

Dark wood is where the entrance to Hell meets the surface and is presumably somewhere in Italy because that's where Dante was wandering when he enters.

Yeah, I've been there. It's called Ventimiglia.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Saladman posted:

It's not just a Greek thing — it's also like that in most countries where the currency has collapsed or has rampant inflation, or where trust in banks to not steal or freeze their accounts is extremely low. No one trusts to keep their money in the bank, but property is a real thing you can own and put (and keep) value into. Stuff under eternal construction is common all across North Africa too. I stayed in the beach home of a middle class Egyptian friend a couple hours west of Alexandria, and that place had no hot water (not that you need it tbh and it did have piped water at least) nor electricity besides one solar panel for charging phones, but the walls were up so they could already use it as a beach house. No noticeable progress was made in the two times we went there, about 8 months apart.

I've heard the tax thing is a common myth, and that you'll get taxed even if you still have your third floor with rebar sticking out, but that might depend on the country/jurisdiction/your personal relation with the real estate appraisal people.

It's just the peoples of the Mediterranean and Fertile Crescent doing what they do best, leaving mysterious ruins around the landscape.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darkest Auer posted:

Yeah, I've been there. It's called Ventimiglia.
Can you get to Hell from there or have they closed it off?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I know the hyperwar is a dumb joke and all, but at what point will crazy Korean nationalists actually buy into it?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Had some fun skimming through a blog I stumbled upon that's kind of the Indian equivalent of this. It rules. http://romaisrama.blogspot.com/

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Its Italy im sure if you grease the right palms you can get access.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if North Korea/Juche is on board the Hwan Empire-style crazy train or not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have a Korean friend from university who has got into this stuff and she just comes out with the wildest poo poo.

From what I understand she now believes that Koreans are a separate species of human that emerged from inside the earth.

Believing Koreans are a separate species isn't that uncommon in my experience living there. I had to go to a different doctor once when I was told he'd only studied Korean biology so couldn't help me.

Like I don't think it's a majority opinion but I wouldn't find it weird to hear it.

Japan also has their weird nihonjinron poo poo which ranges from full insanity hardly anyone buys to stuff that's repeated fairly often, like Japanese people eat different food because their digestive organs are different than foreigners.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maps about the political thing for the political maps thread.

https://twitter.com/PeterCBlack/status/1348859919445807106

https://gizmodo.com/parler-users-breached-deep-inside-u-s-capitol-building-1846042905

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan also has their weird nihonjinron poo poo which ranges from full insanity hardly anyone buys to stuff that's repeated fairly often, like Japanese people eat different food because their digestive organs are different than foreigners.

There is some evidence that some populations have tendencies to process nutrients differently, but there are companies out there that wildly overstep any informational basis by tailoring diet plans to DNA results.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/personalized-nutrition-companies-claims-overhyped--scientists-66321

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is some evidence that some populations have tendencies to process nutrients differently, but there are companies out there that wildly overstep any informational basis by tailoring diet plans to DNA results.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/personalized-nutrition-companies-claims-overhyped--scientists-66321

This is also quite different than actual claims like saying Japanese people have longer colons so they can eat seaweed, unlike foreigners.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maps about the political thing for the political maps thread.

https://twitter.com/PeterCBlack/status/1348859919445807106

If we discount DC (which probably only appears in this list due to the large number of videos taken on January 6), almost all of those are super rural counties with a population of <10,000, half of them even <5,000. That’s not too surprising because in those low-population areas one or two prolific users are already enough to distort the result, and of course also because rural regions like this tend to be highly conservative too. The only real exceptions to that are Clark and Crittenden with ~140,000 and ~48,000 people respectively. Does anybody know if this is coincidence, or are there deeper-lying reasons for those two to have unusually many videos on Parler? Did Trump do any rallies there for example?

e: oh wait, I totally fat-fingered my phone while I looked up population numbers and ended up looking at Clark county in Ohio and not Idaho, lol. The latter has a population of about 850 people which makes Crittenden even more of an outlier, especially considering that it appears to be a fairly solidly Democratic area

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 13, 2021

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

System Metternich posted:

If we discount DC (which probably only appears in this list due to the large number of videos taken on January 6), almost all of those are super rural counties with a population of <10,000, half of them even <5,000. That’s not too surprising because in those low-population areas one or two prolific users are already enough to distort the result, and of course also because rural regions like this tend to be highly conservative too. The only real exceptions to that are Clark and Crittenden with ~140,000 and ~48,000 people respectively. Does anybody know if this is coincidence, or are there deeper-lying reasons for those two to have unusually many videos on Parler? Did Trump do any rallies there for example?

Florida (and New Hampshire lol) are considerably redder than most eastern states as well.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Believing Koreans are a separate species isn't that uncommon in my experience living there. I had to go to a different doctor once when I was told he'd only studied Korean biology so couldn't help me.

Did you blow his mind by telling him that your species is immune to fan death?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The sample size of Parler users is too small to infer much.

Here's another dam map:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
God dam

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Land of the Dammed

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Guavanaut posted:

It's more like Hell has sort of spilled over there

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Bodyholes posted:

The sample size of Parler users is too small to infer much.

Here's another dam map:

Are the hazard levels saying how bad it would be if a particular drat broke like "this one is right upstream from a town and would kill tens of thousands if it broke" or "this one would ruin billions of dollars of farmland if it broke", or are they saying how bad a state of disrepair a particular dam is in? Cause if it's the latter it looks like Appalachia is about to become a giant lake.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I guess that there were a lot of dams constructed in the Appalachians during the 1930s as part of the New Deal which probably didn't see any real maintenance since then

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Grand Fromage posted:

This is also quite different than actual claims like saying Japanese people have longer colons so they can eat seaweed, unlike foreigners.

Do they think that people in other countries don't eat seaweed? *Laughs in Welsh*

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Do they think that people in other countries don't eat seaweed? *Laughs in Welsh*

Well, that just proves that Wales is actually an ancient Japanese colony.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Well, that just proves that Wales is actually an ancient Japanese colony.

Well this is obviously wrong because Welsh has far too many consonants to be a Japonic language.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Are the hazard levels saying how bad it would be if a particular drat broke like "this one is right upstream from a town and would kill tens of thousands if it broke" or "this one would ruin billions of dollars of farmland if it broke", or are they saying how bad a state of disrepair a particular dam is in? Cause if it's the latter it looks like Appalachia is about to become a giant lake.

In this case the red indicates dams with large populations downstream that would get flattened if they failed. I don't think it refers to the soundness of the dam. Many of the red dots are in good shape, but if they failed it would be catastrophic. However, many of them are also deficient.

I can't find one as detailed for deficient dams. Based on this map and the one above, I think PA's got a big dam problem. Truly shocking from a state with such nice roads...

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 14, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hence why the worst areas are either places with big populations like California or Appalachia where the population is all concentrated in small areas that are also the lowest-lying parts

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

People believe dumb poo poo. I cannot count how many times Koreans told me that garlic and chili peppers are exclusively eaten in Korea.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
BBC - The intriguing maps that reveal alternate histories

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Grand Fromage posted:

People believe dumb poo poo. I cannot count how many times Koreans told me that garlic and chili peppers are exclusively eaten in Korea.

My Korean friends insist that Korean sweat does not stink because they lack the gene for that. I have not verified this one way or the other.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That one actually is true. Only like 5% of Koreans have it or something like that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Buttchocks posted:

My Korean friends insist that Korean sweat does not stink because they lack the gene for that. I have not verified this one way or the other.

Having been on many Korean buses in summer, I can verify your friends are full of poo poo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I mean sweat not stinking doesn’t mean you can’t stink in other ways, but Koreans genuinely have that gene a lot less than most people. Apparently it’s the ABCC11 gene, it’s a real thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Then at the very least it must not be anywhere near as prevalent as Koreans think it is, because as a result of that belief nobody uses deodorant and BO stink is everywhere.

Malaysia is the king of BO though. I dunno what's going on in the food or whatever but it is quite an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ABCC11:body odour::firearm suppressor:gunshot noise