Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
"Brock, thank god! He trained his freaking panda to put me in a bag!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Needs explanation though because apparently people don't know what "hard" refers to

... it means ending the word with an audible R which is way worse than if you end it with "-A" which can be construed as "trying to speak hood" and you can weasel out of. If you end it with a "hard R" it means you're a piece of poo poo

Quoting this for the new page. This is new to me. But it makes sense.

TBF I knew what "hard r" meant. Didn't know what "r-word" meant.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Needs explanation though because apparently people don't know what "hard" refers to

... it means ending the word with an audible R which is way worse than if you end it with "-A" which can be construed as "trying to speak hood" and you can weasel out of. If you end it with a "hard R" it means you're a piece of poo poo

Your kidding about that spoiler part, right? Because it doesn't sound sarcastic, if that was your intention. I mention this because this was the exact excuse offered by a white teacher who got caught calling a student the n-word years ago, and it was correctly rejected and ridiculed even back then.

Edit: I want to point out that I believe the part about the original "Hard R" referring to the final letter in the n-word, it's the other stuff in the spoiler tag I'm questioning. Though, I have heard youtube movie reviews using "hard R" in the way I described, which now that I think about it is probably just coincidental.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 10, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that ... not what it means then?

I'm not making an excuse, I'm saying that people came up with the "hard R" distinction and term to separate "colloquial" use from an undeniable slur.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SeanBeansShako posted:

The book explains the weirdness behind the Florida Independence Army guys in a bit more context, but they were essentially one of those sort of vague filler ideas that Jackson slapped into the promotional booklet to really sell the show.

Wrong Orange County there, it's the one in California since Brisbyland is meant to be Disneyland, they even mention a Florida offshoot at one point

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

drrockso20 posted:

Wrong Orange County there, it's the one in California since Brisbyland is meant to be Disneyland, they even mention a Florida offshoot at one point

It's been a while, I skipped watching the episode in the recent post cancellation binge too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tarlibone posted:

Edit: I want to point out that I believe the part about the original "Hard R" referring to the final letter in the n-word, it's the other stuff in the spoiler tag I'm questioning. Though, I have heard youtube movie reviews using "hard R" in the way I described, which now that I think about it is probably just coincidental.

Not to drag this out because certainly I was trying to word it as carefully and yet glibly as I could so we wouldn't get bogged down :v:

But what I'm saying is that ending it with "-a" is how white people often manage to get away with saying they were just "using it the way They do". It doesn't hold much water and is super context sensitive, but saying "hard R" is the way to sidestep that whole quagmire and just say clearly that "the person used the N word and meant it".

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fun fact: Both Disneyland and Disney World are in counties named Orange County.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Data Graham posted:

Not to drag this out because certainly I was trying to word it as carefully and yet glibly as I could so we wouldn't get bogged down :v:

But what I'm saying is that ending it with "-a" is how white people often manage to get away with saying they were just "using it the way They do". It doesn't hold much water and is super context sensitive, but saying "hard R" is the way to sidestep that whole quagmire and just say clearly that "the person used the N word and meant it".

The entire "hard r" is a justification for white people to be racist. It is as simple as that. The more you try to explain this, the worse you are looking. I don't think that is your intention here, but i don't care what anyone's excuse is with using the n word. It's all justification to be a racist shithead

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man I was just trying to define the term, not make the same excuses the term was invented to avoid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just don't say offensive words whether you think you're allowed to or not.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It is not acceptable to use the n-word, regardless of the final phoneme, if you are not black.

However, there is an observable phenomenon of nonblack people being overly familiar and using the n-word in an (inappropriately) familiar and colloquial manner, and then using "term of endearment" to try to escape social consequences.

A hard-r use of the n-word is basically never used, intracommunaly, as a term of endearment. Therefore, there's no semiplausable deniability for racial hatred when some white kid drops "the hard R" in the discord.

This may sound arcane and dumb but, like, when you go to fighting game tournaments in NYC and are surrounded by a combination of socially maladjusted nerds of various backgrounds, you deffo run into a wide range of white kids who are desperate for an n-word pass.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Reading the thread rn:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
We watched Community for the first time recently and I said the same thing

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Your kidding about that spoiler part, right? Because it doesn't sound sarcastic, if that was your intention. I mention this because this was the exact excuse offered by a white teacher who got caught calling a student the n-word years ago, and it was correctly rejected and ridiculed even back then.
You are absolutely sure that it wasn't the Boondocks ?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Data Graham posted:

Man I was just trying to define the term, not make the same excuses the term was invented to avoid.

Like I said, I didn't think that was your intention. I was just saying constantly explaining isn't a good look. The more people discuss this topic, the more it gives the impression that said people who are discussing it are trying to justify its usage, whether that's their intent or not.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

X_Toad posted:

You are absolutely sure that it wasn't the Boondocks ?

If you're being serious, then that's just adorable.

https://youtu.be/XURRzofbMc0

Watch the whole thing. As it goes on, it keeps getting worser.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sataere posted:

Like I said, I didn't think that was your intention. I was just saying constantly explaining isn't a good look. The more people discuss this topic, the more it gives the impression that said people who are discussing it are trying to justify its usage, whether that's their intent or not.

Yeah, fully agreed. That's why I was trying to make it a glib one-liner in the spirit of the previous "EXPLANATION OVER" post :v:

(This did not work)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Everything I've heard about Crispin Glover is that he is very much NOT a normal guy. I've not heard he's an rear end in a top hat, but the general gouge on him is that he is extremely weird.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

If you're being serious, then that's just adorable.

https://youtu.be/XURRzofbMc0

Watch the whole thing. As it goes on, it keeps getting worser.
Jesus, they took the dialogue and the body language for the teacher, the kid and the news announcer straight from that video :aaa: . I've read the entirety of the TvTropes page for that series, how come that thing didn't come up even once ?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Everything I've heard about Crispin Glover is that he is very much NOT a normal guy. I've not heard he's an rear end in a top hat, but the general gouge on him is that he is extremely weird.

Give this a watch if you want to get illuminated on the guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0_tZdus9g

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna say I heard he was kind of an rear end in a top hat on diamonds are forever, he apparently tried to take all of me.kidds lines. But that was crispin's dad bruce so maybe crispin is fine.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

In a season 3 episode Killinger opens his Magic Murder Bag™ and reduces some people in a board room to dust. This very clearly a reference to the Adam West Batman movie.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fartington Butts posted:

In a season 3 episode Killinger opens his Magic Murder Bag™ and reduces some people in a board room to dust. This very clearly a reference to the Adam West Batman movie.

I don't think Killinger was merely dehydrating them.

I don't know why, but that whole gimmick in the Batman movie always makes me smile despite being so loving dumb, even for a 1960's comics story.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I mean... that movie is somehow 2 hours long and full of more nonsense than the Nolan movies.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" is a perfect bit of comedy, and inspired the last act of The Dark Knight Rises.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“It happened at sea! See? ‘C’ for Catwoman!”

Batman 66 is the best Batman movie, I yield the rest of my time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Batman franchise will never get better than '66 so I'm not sure why they keep trying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Go camp again, but keep Christian Bale

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Data Graham posted:

Go camp again, but keep Christian Bale

I'm trying to imagine how that would work. Just Bale's Batman but everything around him is 1960's camp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hadn't seen The Dark Knight Rises so I just watched it tonight. Holy poo poo what a fash movie

Pitched battle in the streets between rag-tag, AK-47-wielding revolutionaries and unarmed, street-uniformed golly-gee-shucks cops

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

BOOM! Yummy!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
OK, so I'm watching Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, probably for the first time since seeing a censored version when I was a kid (which I barely remember), and two things come to mind.

1. loving GCI blackout teams, titty blockers extraordinaire. Doc really was this close to seeing some titties. No, not Dolly's. But you get plenty of titty payoff when Melvin P. Thorpe, whose name I type in full because I'm pretty sure he's only ever referred to by "Melvin P. Thorpe," ambushes the Chicken Ranch's clientele (mostly Aggies) and staff.
  2. This is a legit good movie, and I like to think that Doc is a little better of a person for having seen most of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Data Graham posted:

I hadn't seen The Dark Knight Rises so I just watched it tonight. Holy poo poo what a fash movie

Pitched battle in the streets between rag-tag, AK-47-wielding revolutionaries and unarmed, street-uniformed golly-gee-shucks cops
Yeah, even at the time I was like "wow this is uncomfortably pro-cop" and I was voting for Obama back then I mean goddamn

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like I’m just trying to imagine someone making it with a straight face after last summer

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Like I’m just trying to imagine someone making it with a straight face after last summer

Soooo... time is not in fact four balls on the edge of a cliff, it’s linear. That means the film was made before 2020, because if it was made in 2020 it wouldn’t have been able to come out in 2012.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hence the role that imagination plays

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Hence the role that imagination plays

I was trying to make a joke and miffed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A FEELING I KNOW ALL TOO WELL