Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dance Officer posted:

Okay. That's needlessly complex. Is there a mod out there that simplifies clothing back to fo3/NV levels, or a mod that sets junk items to 0 weight? Crafting seems important in this game, but I don't want to constantly have to mind all the junk for it.

With certain things you can make clothing that's stupidly protective, to the extent that you're effectively wearing a second set of armor under your armor. And a third atop your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Getting a handle of the mechanics and I’m really enjoying Fallout 1. I see why this game is so beloved.

Love to see this!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Is there some sort of checklist that has all of the Tadpole and Possum badge quests so I don't have to keep checking back what I have to take pictures of?

I could write them all down but :effort: .

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Is there some sort of checklist that has all of the Tadpole and Possum badge quests so I don't have to keep checking back what I have to take pictures of?

Isn't that stuff listed under the Challenges you can view while on the world map?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, they are listed on the worldmap... but it's World Map/Challenges/Badge/Goals.

And half the time I immedietely forget what I just looked at.

EDIT: What do everyone's legendary perk situatuon look like? I have Ammo Factor, two ranks of Infiltrator and Legendary Luck.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 12, 2021

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Twincityhacker posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/bm8k6q/i_made_an_interactive_checklist_for_all_pioneer/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, they are listed on the worldmap... but it's World Map/Challenges/Badge/Goals.

EDIT: What do everyone's legendary perk situatuon look like? I have Ammo Factor, two ranks of Infiltrator and Legendary Luck.

Whatever makes people explode randomly when I shoot them.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've got 5 specials legrndaries so far because of the build flexibility. I'm bloodied stealth commando but also speccing into heavy weapons and qol perks (weight reduction mainly).

I used to have follow through but the damage isn't needed for anything but the "end game" bosses, and there I just let the lvl 700 players take care of it and I just make sure I tag enough and then take care of spawns. Plus half the time stealth fails on the bosses anyway.

It's not min maxed but you dont need to min max.

Ammo factory is real good but I tend to just buy all my ammo.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

You can also mouse over a specific challenge and press "T" to track it. The challenge will then be listed on your map screen any time you open it. But that only tracks the number of completed steps out of the whole, so it's not very helpful.

All my legendary perks go to bonus SPECIAL points. I would like to add "what rads" to my junkie shotgunner, if I ever unlock the 6th perk slot.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Twincityhacker posted:

I run ammo factory (2 pt), infiltrator (1 pt), What rads (2 pt), and Taking One For The Team (1pt)

Ammo Factory is mostly because I run Final Word, though lately I've been buying .50 with ammo points. Once I find a prime receiver though...

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
do you all really run ammo factory all the time? I haven't made ammo in forever, I just run daily ops like 2 times and I get most of the ammo I need for a bit.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I buy my ammo so I don't run ammo factory, but if I didn't buy it, I would, because running around the burrows looking for meat piles is not a fun way to "play" this game imo and just relying on the reward drop doesn't make up what I spend in fixer/handmade ammo.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

Ammo factory x2
The rad one x2
And 1 point in the survival one.

I like not having to worry about rads or carry radaway, disease cure, food, or water.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

i flunked out posted:

do you all really run ammo factory all the time? I haven't made ammo in forever, I just run daily ops like 2 times and I get most of the ammo I need for a bit.

Ammo factory + the max ammo perk + max Super Duper means I make ~360 .50 cal rounds a pop, and I can chew through them if I go to the SBQ area.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
So I decided to start with some decent luck and uh.

What's the loving deal with the "Idiot Savant" perk? Why does it play an audio file of your character going "durrhurrrrr"?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was funny when Fallout 4 first came out to see videos of people doing emotional moments in the main quest and then suddenly the player character shouts HURR DU DURR and coins fall all over the place

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Ammo factory + the max ammo perk + max Super Duper means I make ~360 .50 cal rounds a pop, and I can chew through them if I go to the SBQ area.

Yeah, I understand that equipping those perks makes it so you create considerably more ammo, but you really keep it on all the time? that seems like a waste of a legendary card spot. Do you also roll around with ammosmith and super duper on all the time too?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

because running around the burrows looking for meat piles is not a fun way to "play" this game imo

substitute the burrows with a ton of different places on the map and that's how I farm mats anyways lol.

I only ever use primed weapons, so its insanely easier for me to sit in one room in the daily op shooting wave after wave of enemies (you don't need to actually run it if you're just farming ammo, and if you do take your time and complete it you still get an ammo reward) than it is to farm lead, steel, acid for the lead ore/gunpowder, raw flux, and the mats it takes to turn the raw flux into stable flux.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Reminds me that the best Fallout 4 mod is still the one that replaces all your voice clips with someone reading them in a dumb guy voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYl325Cd7w

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

i flunked out posted:

Yeah, I understand that equipping those perks makes it so you create considerably more ammo, but you really keep it on all the time? that seems like a waste of a legendary card spot. Do you also roll around with ammosmith and super duper on all the time too?

substitute the burrows with a ton of different places on the map and that's how I farm mats anyways lol.

I only ever use primed weapons, so its insanely easier for me to sit in one room in the daily op shooting wave after wave of enemies (you don't need to actually run it if you're just farming ammo, and if you do take your time and complete it you still get an ammo reward) than it is to farm lead, steel, acid for the lead ore/gunpowder, raw flux, and the mats it takes to turn the raw flux into stable flux.

I swap out ammosmith and super duper when I'm not making ammo, but I think swapping out a legendary perk costs perk points right? (Or whatever they're called)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I swap out ammosmith and super duper when I'm not making ammo, but I think swapping out a legendary perk costs perk points right? (Or whatever they're called)
correct, it costs 1 legendary perk point. although if you're like level 600+ it doesn't matter

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

2house2fly posted:

It was funny when Fallout 4 first came out to see videos of people doing emotional moments in the main quest and then suddenly the player character shouts HURR DU DURR and coins fall all over the place
It's not like any of the emotional moments in F4 actually managed to stick the landing, the addition of a laugh track and rim shots could only improve the quests.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I finished Fallout 1 and yeah, it was fantastic. I figured out how to make the Master kill himself without a guide.:v:

I'll definitely play 2 and NV eventually.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

i flunked out posted:

They get swapped in and out when I'm repairing/cooking/crafting/drug making, though I don't swap out the legendary perk since I'm still saving up for higher ranks. I'm under lvl 200 right now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How do you guys think 2 compares to 1?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would try and go into two with an open mind instead of looking at others opinions first. If I gave you my own it might influence your own experience, and I doubt for the better.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do you guys think 2 compares to 1?

It has a slow start that can actually be one of the harder parts of the game depending on your build, but once it opens up, it really opens up and there's so much to uncover, which is where most of the fun comes from

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I will get to it eventually. I do remember watching my cousin play it when it was new. I remember the tribal stuff, Enclave and the car.

I wish they’d both get controller friendly remasters like with Baldur’s Gate and others. I just don’t find it comfortable to sit at my desk playing these. I only forced myself with 1 since I knew it was not that long.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

To be honest I prefer 1 over 2 mostly due to preferring the Master and the Super Mutant Army over Frank Horrigan and the Enclave which is mostly cause Frank Horrigan is unavoidable and a massive pain to fight.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2 has a lot of content, probably the most quests of any game in the series, but the quality is all over the place.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
1 is a much more cohesive and "tight" experience. 2 goes much wackier- from talking deathclaws and scientology parodies to full-on in-game recreations of Monty Python sketches- and the setting gets much bigger, encompassing power struggles between and within multiple feuding city-states. I enjoy the latter enough to put up with the former, and with the little QOL improvements I like 2 better overall. But it's all about your tolerance for random encounters based on Douglas Adams and annoying members of the Black Isle forums circa 1998

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I generally like 2 better simply because it had the 'push dude out of the way' option.

Also the talking Deathclaws; I don't know why people seemed so down on them :(

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Also 2 had the extremely stupid option. Just drop that int to 1 and have fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I started a playthrough after all. Just having a “take all” button is a big improvement.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I tried to play fallout 1, but christ it pisses me off. Especially since apparantly none of the controls work. I couldnt collapse the deathclaw cave because the controls to use the dynamite dont work. I cant change ammo types because the controls don't work. Also, despite taking a build that's apparantly supposed to crit all the god-damned time, i basically never do, and the perk that makes critting even more common also means you cant even kill a rat sometimes with how weak you are. :(

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I tried to play fallout 1, but christ it pisses me off. Especially since apparantly none of the controls work. I couldnt collapse the deathclaw cave because the controls to use the dynamite dont work. I cant change ammo types because the controls don't work. Also, despite taking a build that's apparantly supposed to crit all the god-damned time, i basically never do, and the perk that makes critting even more common also means you cant even kill a rat sometimes with how weak you are. :(

You have set the timer on the dynamite in your inventory and then drop it next to the weak wall in the radscorpion cave(right click, open hand icon to set timer, then drop hand icon). To change ammo you have yo in your inventory right click on your gun, click on the drop magazine icon and then drag over your new ammo type. And crits are rare until level 18 when you can get Sniper/Slayer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My friend got a new PC and bought Fallout 4 as his first Fallout game. I think the last time I played was in 2018 so im hazy on how legendary effects work. Generally automatic weapons benefit more from damage effects for legendary guns because they can stack, right? So Bleed or Explosive or Double Shot will work far better on automatics while vats bonuses or other support legendary effects are better for semi autos?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

My friend got a new PC and bought Fallout 4 as his first Fallout game. I think the last time I played was in 2018 so im hazy on how legendary effects work. Generally automatic weapons benefit more from damage effects for legendary guns because they can stack, right? So Bleed or Explosive or Double Shot will work far better on automatics while vats bonuses or other support legendary effects are better for semi autos?

Generally yes, since many of the damage effects work off of each individual projectile - including each projectile from a shotgun.

There are some major exceptions, though. Instigating does double damage if the target is at full health, so it's best on a high damage, single shot weapon. The Two Shot effect is poorly named, because it implies "x2 projectiles" when it's really "+1 projectiles." It's almost worthless on shotguns or energy weapons with beam splitters, but pretty great anywhere else.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hobo on Fire posted:

Generally yes, since many of the damage effects work off of each individual projectile - including each projectile from a shotgun.

There are some major exceptions, though. Instigating does double damage if the target is at full health, so it's best on a high damage, single shot weapon. The Two Shot effect is poorly named, because it implies "x2 projectiles" when it's really "+1 projectiles." It's almost worthless on shotguns or energy weapons with beam splitters, but pretty great anywhere else.

Two Shot minigun is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Note that two shot functions a bit oddly in that it adds a second projectile at the base unmodified damage of the weapon (skills yes, weapon mods no) and then splits the total damage between the two shots. Also a Two shot MIRV Fatboy is something special.

For extra fun the explosive trait benefits from explosive skills which can make an explosive weapon with a high RoF incredibly dangerous. The explosive minigun for example enjoys something like a 400% increase in total damage. Be careful with this though as you can kill yourself with the splash. Rather quickly if your RoF is high enough.