Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Scratch Monkey posted:

That's for heavier than air gasses like Sulfur Hexafluoride. If you don't turn upside down it'll linger in the bottom of your lungs displacing oxygen and potentially suffocating you. Helium, being lighter than air, will eventually find it's way out of your lungs but perhaps not before you pass out.

uhhhh did you read the post they were quoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qmsezwjAzK1s1ddrj.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/JoyfulFamiliarAmoeba.mp4

Look, I get it, you're a professional and you stand by your work, but for the love of gently caress please don't stand there.

I love the bird that comes in for a landing and is all like " gently caress this poo poo I'm out"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Scratch Monkey posted:

That's for heavier than air gasses like Sulfur Hexafluoride. If you don't turn upside down it'll linger in the bottom of your lungs displacing oxygen and potentially suffocating you. Helium, being lighter than air, will eventually find it's way out of your lungs but perhaps not before you pass out.

That's what they were talking about

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PainterofCrap posted:

This exact thing nearly happened to me at my wedding reception. Took a big healty inhale of helium to sing The Lollipop Guild, and, while singing, literally saw the curtains closing in my field of vision. I was able to sit down & collect myself without completely passing out.

this happened to me when i was singing in a chorus concert in middle school. i was standing on the top rear riser, nothing behind me but a seven or eight foot drop. no helium. i must have just locked my knees for too long. at first i thought the lights were being dimmed, but then my hearing was effected too. in a few seconds it was pitch darkness with my eyes wide open, so climbing down was not a safe approach. i kept my knees bent, breathed deeply, and mouthed along to the songs. it passed.

pretty scary! would not recommend!

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Nenonen posted:

Eh, it's probably way, way safer than the perspective and camera lense makes you believe.

Yeah, look at where the shadow passes the house. Typical lame photographer trick.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

This exact thing nearly happened to me at my wedding reception. Took a big healty inhale of helium to sing The Lollipop Guild, and, while singing, literally saw the curtains closing in my field of vision. I was able to sit down & collect myself without completely passing out.
yea you should try whippits next they rock

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KoRMaK posted:

yea you should try whippits next they rock

I have...just knew not to inhale so deeply.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Doc Hawkins posted:

this happened to me when i was singing in a chorus concert in middle school. i was standing on the top rear riser, nothing behind me but a seven or eight foot drop. no helium. i must have just locked my knees for too long. at first i thought the lights were being dimmed, but then my hearing was effected too. in a few seconds it was pitch darkness with my eyes wide open, so climbing down was not a safe approach. i kept my knees bent, breathed deeply, and mouthed along to the songs. it passed.

The human body is real bad about blood management. You can pass out from locking your knees (orthostatic syncope) and your blood flow just gets slightly off balance. Fine, whatever, fluid dynamics are hard.

You can also pass out from thinking too hardly about if you are locking your knees or not because you know locking your knees makes you pass out and you don't want to do that (a sort of vasovagal syncope). Good job body, great design where you can mind gently caress yourself into falling.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zedprime posted:

The human body is real bad about blood management. You can pass out from locking your knees (orthostatic syncope) and your blood flow just gets slightly off balance. Fine, whatever, fluid dynamics are hard.

You can also pass out from thinking too hardly about if you are locking your knees or not because you know locking your knees makes you pass out and you don't want to do that (a sort of vasovagal syncope). Good job body, great design where you can mind gently caress yourself into falling.

It's just a soft reboot, nbd

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's not a proper catholic First Communion or Confirmation if not at least one of the kids passes out and/or pukes while standing in front of the altar

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zopotantor posted:

it's not a proper catholic First Communion or Confirmation if not at least one of the kids passes out and/or pukes while standing in front of the altar

I almost passed out at my confirmation, weird.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

My mom once went off on a tangent about how helium was a drug and we shouldn't do it, because we could die.

Little did she realize the real drug is nitrogen; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1130736/

quote:

We evaluated the effect of nitrogen in air at one atmosphere on human performance by comparing it with helium-oxygen using a four-alternative divided-attention task that requires rapid response to auditory and visual signal changes. There was a 9.3 per cent decrease in response time when subjects breathed helium-oxygen, a signigicant change (P less than 0.001). This change could not be ascribed to practice since the order of presentation of gases did not have a significant effect. It concluded that the nitrogen in ambient air slightly but measurable impairs human performance compared with a non-anesthetic gas such as helium.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's the old thread favorite, all gases are anaesthetic gases. We expect this includes oxygen but noone has come up with a safe test protocol to find out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you find yourself in an environment with an abnormally high oxygen concentration losing consciousness may be the least of your worries

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
In scandinavia we have this event in mid december.

It's most commonly done by kids in school where they walk in a procession, line up infront of the audience and sing songs for a few minutes. It is not uncommon for one of the kids to faint due to aforementioned reasons. From experience I can say that nosebleed look very intense on those robes!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Zudgemud posted:

It's most commonly done by kids in school where they walk in a procession, line up infront of the audience and sing songs for a few minutes. It is not uncommon for one of the kids to faint due to aforementioned reasons. From experience I can say that nosebleed look very intense on those robes!

I thought Merlin was only a part of Mexican Christmas tradition.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Zudgemud posted:

Getting some real Midsomar vibes here

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

mostlygray posted:

The more modern ones do. The cover is on a bearing so that it's free floating. The ends still have to be exposed though. Old equipment doesn't have a shaft cover.

The trick is to understand that the spinning shaft wants to kill you. It stays up all night waiting for the chance to kill you. Don't worry, It will hurt the whole time but it's usually pretty quick. If you've ever thought "Will I fit through a half inch gap?" The answer is, you will. It will remove your skin while it's doing it. Don't worry, your head will fit through a half inch gap. If there are sheer pins on the implement, you have a chance of survival. You'll still lose all your skin and some limbs, but there's a chance you could live.

The cover on the shaft is false security. Don't touch the spinning shaft with the PTO engaged no matter what. You can't trust it. Never step over a PTO ever. My neighbor on the farm lost all the skin on his inner thighs, including his genitals. Don't step over a PTO. That stuff really can't be put back on.

Also, don't mess with spinning belts. They want to kill you too. Also augers. Don't mess with those. Baling machines aren't safe either. Stay away from barns. Keep an eye out for a combine header. Also, all farm equipment. Even your pants want to kill you.

The pillow your grandma knitted for you is pretty safe. Feel comfortable around it. Beyond that, everything kills you.

Also ag chemicals. They may kill you in a week, or 30 years, who knows. Yes they may be “safe” but that’s when 5 litres is spread across 10 acres. Mixing it up? Not so much.

Johnny, go get dad some more Lorsban. Just use a bucket. Respirator? Gloves? Don’t be a pussy!

Why does my son have trouble concentrating at school? His report cards are terrible!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

He looks barefoot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I don't understand why there needs to be two people up there. I assume one of them is the forklift driver. I say driver, because they're sure as hell not an Operator.

suuma posted:

I guess they didn't want to bomb big logs into the yard but they climbed this tree to limb it, why not cut it down in sections instead of dropping it on the house

How are you going to have a sick video for the 'gram if you do it the boring way?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Memento posted:

I don't understand why there needs to be two people up there. I assume one of them is the forklift driver. I say driver, because they're sure as hell not an Operator.

How are you going to have a sick video for the 'gram if you do it the boring way?

Teamwork makes the dream work.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BbVaArR.gifv

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

"Man, I told you not to flush the toilet." :mad:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

People sometimes say "hold my beer." That other guy is holding his beer while he does the thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Deteriorata posted:

"Man, I told you not to flush the toilet." :mad:

I was going to make a Taco Bell night crack. Can't now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nothing can stop my posts

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/DHOS1CB.gifv

Exterminators hate this one simple trick.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Cartoon Man hitting it out of the park on this page.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, commercial grade flamethrowers are 10x better than that thing Elon had made. Kind of like how internal combustion is.....

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mostlygray posted:

The more modern ones do. The cover is on a bearing so that it's free floating. The ends still have to be exposed though. Old equipment doesn't have a shaft cover.

The trick is to understand that the spinning shaft wants to kill you. It stays up all night waiting for the chance to kill you. Don't worry, It will hurt the whole time but it's usually pretty quick. If you've ever thought "Will I fit through a half inch gap?" The answer is, you will. It will remove your skin while it's doing it. Don't worry, your head will fit through a half inch gap. If there are sheer pins on the implement, you have a chance of survival. You'll still lose all your skin and some limbs, but there's a chance you could live.

The cover on the shaft is false security. Don't touch the spinning shaft with the PTO engaged no matter what. You can't trust it. Never step over a PTO ever. My neighbor on the farm lost all the skin on his inner thighs, including his genitals. Don't step over a PTO. That stuff really can't be put back on.

Also, don't mess with spinning belts. They want to kill you too. Also augers. Don't mess with those. Baling machines aren't safe either. Stay away from barns. Keep an eye out for a combine header. Also, all farm equipment. Even your pants want to kill you.

The pillow your grandma knitted for you is pretty safe. Feel comfortable around it. Beyond that, everything kills you.

OSHA IV: everything kills you except grandma's pillow

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Cartoon Man posted:

Glad to see that it was a hornet's nest and not an extremely aggressive way of getting a cat down from a tree.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I adore the woman in this video. "Well, you're gonna get some of that," personified.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

That minivan got hosed uppp

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Brings me back to helping my dad clear out tent caterpillars in the backyard...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CleverHans posted:

Glad to see that it was a hornet's nest and not an extremely aggressive way of getting a cat down from a tree.

I'm glad it was hornets and not a swarm of bees. Bees good, hornets bad (at least in close proximity to homes, they're fine if they eat insects elsewhere).

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 13, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Torching cornfields after harvest for me. We didn't give a gently caress about silage, apparently.

I mean, after all the neighbors' crops were out, too. I remember it usually being done in December. Riding on the tailgate of a 4x4 pickup with a grill propane tank and the flamethrower, lazily driving around the field. Fast way to clear the ditches and fence lines too, just keep an eye on the way out of the field.

Seen a few field fires during harvest. Equipment fucks up somewhere and next thing you know the whole section is going up in smoke. Drought years, you'd see neighbors hauling rear end over with whatever they could to help save whatever crop was salvageable. If that meant plowing a bunch into the ground to make a fire break, insurance would just have to write a bigger check, as they'd already be writing one for a harvester or tractor or whatever else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zudgemud posted:

It's in remembrance of a gal whom the pagans tried to burn alive but was protected from burns by da Holy Ghost. (Another legend says a dude fell in love with her eyes so she ripped the eye balls off and sent them to him. Medieval legends are gross.)

Until some decades ago, they used real candles in the annual ritual. That's one quick way to make kids lose faith in God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Have Saudi Prince money? Why not try your hand at redesigning cities! Presenting THE LINE. Powered by 100% empty buzzwords integrated with zero realistic planning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtSMz-_h_cw

THE LINE posted:

THE LINE is a never-before-seen approach to urbanization – a 170km-long linear urban development of multiple, hyper-connected communities, with walkable neighborhoods integrated with public parks and the natural landscape. It is a model of urban design and livability in harmony with nature for the 21st century and beyond.