Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

wooger posted:

I didn’t get why Jools Holland’s Hootenanny was fully 1/2 a clip show when they had at least 5 bands present - surely enough to make a show of it.

Just needed to play music and spend a less time dicking about.

Tom Jones has already had his Covid jab, just make him play a full set.

Like don't make him :(

he's old af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

During the bits I watched he wasn't even singing his own stuff. Did he know where he was?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Total Meatlove posted:

I think in a similar way to the Christmas #1 being destroyed by streaming, and the diminishing returns on releasing a new Christmas single to fight against the hyper-nostalgia of everyone defaulting to the same playlist that features 8 songs from the 70’s, 6 from the 80’s, 4 from the 90’s and 2 from the 00’s, TV is suffering a similar, drawn out fate. The Christmas film will have been streaming for 18 months, no one gathers for appointment tv outside bake-off. Just fling on repeats and accept the loss, plough money into January.

I feel like Soul has worked as a Christmas film sorta? Plenty of people seem to have sat down to watch it.

Streaming really has destroyed the christmas number 1 though. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing but it's fun to see on Pointless that stuff from the 80s gets shitloads of points because everyone knows it and as it comes towards the 2010s the points values trail off. Our generation is the first in 200 years to not really have a pop culture because it's so unbelievably fragmented.
I dunno if that's good or bad, really.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

stev posted:

Yeah Taskmaster was great - certainly more consistently funny and high energy than the last series.

I think part of the problem is that 10 episodes is just too much for a series - there are only so many stand out tasks and only so much energy to go around and it really shows when they're given just one episode to work with. I wouldn't mind if they went back to six episodes.

Yeah that new years should have been 2 episodes - when they had them in the house surely they could have got 6 tasks done in a day?

re next season
According to the official podcast episode with Greg Davies they have already recorded the studio bits for the next season. I suspect they probably recorded the 2 seasons back to back.
So it will have the same studio vibe.
But Davies said it is really good and he reckons there are at least 2 things that happen that will instantly go into top 10 Taskmaster moments lists.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Taskmaster special surprised me how strong it was. They nailed it with the task selection and all the contestants dived in with the studio banter. I'm not sure I'd want that line-up for ten episodes but it certainly worked as a one-off.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Taear posted:

Streaming really has destroyed the christmas number 1 though.

Absolutely, although I think I would've been more upset about this had it not already been destroyed by Simon Cowell and X-Factor.

I remember watching a documentary when I was a kid about how Woolworths' efforts in making deals with record companies ruined the charts.

You'll probably remember how in the late 90s singles used to be 99p in the first week but £3.99 thereafter - so instead of songs being able to grow on the public, they'd rocket into the charts and then sink like a stone.

It was ok if you were an established band; you had enough of a fanbase to pretty much guarantee that you'd get to 1-2, but if you were trying to break in, you might only get to 17 in the first week, and then you'd be at 85 the next and straight out.

Not that I've held onto this resentment for 25 years.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

I feel like Soul has worked as a Christmas film sorta? Plenty of people seem to have sat down to watch it.

Streaming really has destroyed the christmas number 1 though. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing but it's fun to see on Pointless that stuff from the 80s gets shitloads of points because everyone knows it and as it comes towards the 2010s the points values trail off. Our generation is the first in 200 years to not really have a pop culture because it's so unbelievably fragmented.
I dunno if that's good or bad, really.

I think bad, ultimately.
Don’t care about the Christmas number 1, but no common reference points, shared culture & experiences is how society drifts apart.

You can see people on the extremes already today who live in a bubble of views similar to theirs & would be regarded as crazy by most of the population.

Everyone has their own screens and never has to compromise, get forced to watch something their siblings / Parents want to watch, or watch something interesting by accident because it’s on the only TV station they have access to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Testro posted:

Absolutely, although I think I would've been more upset about this had it not already been destroyed by Simon Cowell and X-Factor.

That definitely destroyed the remnants, but the downfall started with manufactured bands in the 80s, made just to make money.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know, while S10 was on, I kept saying how it was a perfectly good series of Taskmaster and no worse than your average other series, but after watching that special, I rather think I was trying to convince myself. Would watch a full series with the special cast any time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I wish it was at least a two-episode special, honestly. The cast was fantastic, and having them for just one episode was outright criminal. Great chemistry with Greg, fairly diverse approaches to tasks from contestants, a perfect balance. Maybe they've filmed another special for some other holiday with the same people, though, who knows.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Noticed that East is East was on All 4 today, one of those films that I remember being quite big back when I wasn't quite old enough to appreciate it. Gave it a try and enjoyed it - although there were some bits towards the end that were a little bit stage-y.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

crispix posted:

Like don't make him :(

he's old af

It can be done...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Why is The Chase and Pointless on TV so loving much at dinner time?

Flicking through the channels to try and find something easy going to watch and there's bugger all on except those.

Like give me some wheel of fortune or anything else. Its loving madness.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's cheap.
Most people are either on their way home from work, making dinner, or its up against the News on the other side.
It used to be children's TV that time of day, but since they all hosed off to their own channels there is a blindspot now inbetween the daytime and prime time.
5pm used to be Blue Peter or Biker Grove or Round the Twist or Record Breakers or *your fave kids show* time.
Now it's Cheryl, a hairdresser from Tonton on Sea, going home with nothing after not knowing what country Abba came from.
But she had a nice time which is what she really wanted and not the prize money.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 3, 2021

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Finally watched the TM special and can honestly say I laughed more in the 1st quarter of that than the entirety of the last series. Absolutely brilliant, get them all back again!

I think the contestants were all 100% up for a laugh and treated it as such; the full series they all took it so seriously and it was dull. Incredibly bored of Daisy being stroppy by the end of the 1st ep - shame as in another season the likes of Mawaan would've shone and bounced off of the others far better. There wasn't any energy there, just arguing over points & being miserable

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
As your occasional soap updater, let it be known that the post-covid return of Casualty was harrowing. Both Casualty and Holby opted for "one episode about the horrors of covid, then back to almost normal but with masks and stuff", the Holby one aired a few months ago but this is the first Casualty in ages and it was hard to watch. They hinted that they were going to kill several long-running characters, and I really hoped that it would end up that Connie was talking to a ghost Charlie, but he will never die and so Noel the receptionist died instead. RIP

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there still a delay with regards to when a show airs on BBC America vs. BBC? Like did The Watch finish its series already in Britain, does it get any better?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ask the Discworld thread directly in books, one goon there decided to give it a shot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s not aired in the UK yet.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Pratchett thing I most want to see adapted is the Bromeliad Trilogy. There was a stop-motion version of Truckers in the 90s which was pretty awesome and really I just want two more of those but I'd settle for re-doing the whole thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh poo poo I forgot all about The Watch.

I kinda like it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: DANGER, WILL ROBINSON :siren:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Watch is so loving bad, they completely poo poo all over the tone and characters of the books

Does anyone want to make a thread for it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would that be a thread for watching the show and seeing what it does or one for reaffirming to ourselves weekly how it's bad and poo poo and not Discworld like the last 2-3 pages of the Pratchett thread in TBB on repeat

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 5, 2021

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

eating only apples posted:

As your occasional soap updater, let it be known that the post-covid return of Casualty was harrowing. Both Casualty and Holby opted for "one episode about the horrors of covid, then back to almost normal but with masks and stuff", the Holby one aired a few months ago but this is the first Casualty in ages and it was hard to watch. They hinted that they were going to kill several long-running characters, and I really hoped that it would end up that Connie was talking to a ghost Charlie, but he will never die and so Noel the receptionist died instead. RIP

I thought the Casualty episode was very hamfisted, it's like they span a wheel to decide which character was recognisable but not plot important enough to kill off. Connie is dire, should have been binned off months ago.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

eleven extra elephants posted:

I thought the Casualty episode was very hamfisted,

But you repeat yourself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How was the second Big Fat Quiz?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There was a second one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Big Fat Quiz of Everything was last night. They always do one just into the new year. I didn't have the energy to watch before bed, though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I did not even notice it get advertised. I guess the ~2 hours of TV I watched in the last week did not have channel 4 adverts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A second big fat quiz has hit the channel

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I thought it was better than the quiz of the year. Can't remember if it was this thread where someone suggested the dividers should be between the teammates at the same desk rather than between the desks, but that's what they did and it was better that way.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just getting round to watching A Perfect Planet. Stunning as always, but loving hell those vampire finches turned my stomach a bit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know, while S10 was on, I kept saying how it was a perfectly good series of Taskmaster and no worse than your average other series, but after watching that special, I rather think I was trying to convince myself. Would watch a full series with the special cast any time.

I think I agree. The special they interacted with each other more.

I said it before but I think this is partly down to them mostly being actors rather than comedians. People who aren't necessarily used to having an audience to bounce off of.
Daisy comes across as someone who does loads of stuff herself and loves to be silly but only in the correct managed context which isn't what she had here on taskmaster and we all know how obsessed with winning Richard was.

I still loved Johnny Vegas and think he's one of the best task doers they've ever had because everything just turns into a disaster and it's great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Back in 1991, we missed out on a Dan Dare tv show, from Zenith, the makers of Morse. Only a short pilot was made and it’s recently resurfaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLpHd9gVYY

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The_Doctor posted:

Back in 1991, we missed out on a Dan Dare tv show, from Zenith, the makers of Morse. Only a short pilot was made and it’s recently resurfaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLpHd9gVYY

Oh man, the Eagle comic from the 90s where they’d modernised & sexed up the characters would’ve made a much better basis for a TV show.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Good to see Onslow finally got a job though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone remember a sci-fi series from the late 90's or early 2000's that aired on British TV. It was about alien invaders, possibly from another dimension, and a female scientist working with the army to figure them out before they arrived fully.

I think one of the main settings was a drat, and I seem to remember the aliens being giant mosquitoes though you only saw one in the final episode.

Was only short, maybe 4 episodes at most?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Invasion: Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
What about this one: must have been late 90's. I think it was a two-parter. It was a tale of suburbia but it turned out the neighbours were aliens and the show ended with them returning to space. However it wasn't scifi; no alien costumes or sfx shots. Think of Mike And Angelo but for adults.